Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i'm just glad i finally got to see marlo. after years of being left hanging i have finally been proven he exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
:stare:

Well, thanks to this LP I at least get to see the whole game, instead of just Infection, the only one I bought. Ridiculous multi-part games demanding you to fork over $200 for the full game. :(

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Bonus update today to make up for not having one tomorrow.

Click this for the update:

It's not story related in the least, but I think it's pretty cool at least.

This is a related pro-click by the way. Don't click on this until you've read the update, though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Why do people always use random umlauts? This word offends me, because it sounds terrible if you pronounce it. In that context this ä would sound like something between the a in "fracking" and the e in fragment. Fraekment.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i seem to remember hearing that cc corp used how people interacted in fragment as model/learning experience for when they made g.u.
i'm not sure if that's good or bad.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
So.... violently?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

asymmetrical posted:

So.... violently?

Given G.U. they formed like 3 good clans and then tried to murder one another endlessly.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

http://nichegamer.com/2015/05/cyberconnect2-is-releasing-an-hd-remake-of-hackg-u/

So this is a thing that's happening.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm not sure I want to buy three games for one again, so fingers crossed they'll do more than update the graphics and put all three discs into one box and sell that.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm not sure I want to buy three games for one again, so fingers crossed they'll do more than update the graphics and put all three discs into one box and sell that.

Yeah ditto. I liked GU and don't regret my purchase, but I wouldn't buy it again.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

g.u. was one of those games were I really started to notice the limitations of the game engine with dealing with multiple models on screen
i wonder if that'll be addressed at all in the remake or if it'll just be a straight HD port

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah ditto. I liked GU and don't regret my purchase, but I wouldn't buy it again.

i'll agree with that too. I'm not a dumb tween anymore, i'm not as easily suckered into spending my parents money on questionable video game purchases.
i didn't buy into the new console generation either, so there's that too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
For what it's worth, his tweets only actually seem to say that it's the 10 year anniversary of GU and that they have heard a lot of fans cries for a HD port or new game. Siliconera also came to the same conclusion.

KapmK
Sep 19, 2013
I recently started playing through the G.U. series again. It... It didn't hold up quite as well as I expected.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
How about instead of making a meta-game within a game, just make the game part. I don't care about magic viruses anymore, but I always found The World's ingame lore to be kinda nifty. In particular, how those weird spring deities fit into them. And grunties, too. There was some weird poo poo in The World.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I would have posted this earlier, but then I played some Grimrock 2 and my entire day disappeared into a black hole.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I heard that hitting level 99 increases your infection meter thing by a noticeable amount, but I haven't seen anyone confirm that.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

This is the final boss of not only Quarantine, but the entire series.

I also apologize in advance.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I will say one thing about the phases, they always manage to look alien and menacing. An yet they all have that eye theme.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

*sora noises*

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

AriadneThread posted:

*sora noises*

You poke fun, but that's what I'd describe them as. He's narrating his hops and flips with completely nonsense noises.

SSNeoman posted:

I will say one thing about the phases, they always manage to look alien and menacing. An yet they all have that eye theme.

The eye thing is apparently Morganna's brand icon or whatever.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
How can there be next time if you've just defeated the final boss?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Szurumbur posted:

How can there be next time if you've just defeated the final boss?

We didn't beat the final boss. The game servers crashed before we could win.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

We didn't beat the final boss. The game servers crashed before we could win.

Oh, ok. If the trend continues it will be something special (I didn't click the link, I'd rather be surprised).

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

You poke fun, but that's what I'd describe them as. He's narrating his hops and flips with completely nonsense noises.

poke fun? no!!! i loved that

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

I'm a little disappointed in Balmung for giving up so easily. The One Sin was considered unbeatable but in the novel recounting of that he didn't throw in the towel, so what gives?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

asymmetrical posted:

I'm a little disappointed in Balmung for giving up so easily. The One Sin was considered unbeatable but in the novel recounting of that he didn't throw in the towel, so what gives?

Balmung's been pretty consistent in not believing in Kite's ability. Maybe Orca was the more hopeful and battle-ready of the two, and without him Balmung's not certain of the battle-readiness of the group, or himself.

Just got finished binging this over the course of several days, by the way. .hack was one of those games that I never actually played, but was on the periphery of my knowledge , so it's really cool to finally see it through in some form. I want to echo really liking the designs for the Phases, because I have no idea what they're actually meant to look like or are based on. They're just weird.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 22, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I still do like a lot about these 4 games, I think it'd be really interesting if after the last e-mails get in, a round-up analysis of who the person is in-game, and who they are out of the game is pretty kick rear end to do.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

asymmetrical posted:

True, though I think Coma-inducing Cyber Cthulhu trumps The One Sin in terms of unbeatability and in-general terror..

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Merry Christmas I guess? I know this was kinda hard to follow, but it makes a little more sense if you watch it in action.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mai is pretty okay with clubbin' fools with 2x4s.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So basically the Liminaliteam just saved the day in the Corbenik fight by switching the server of the MMO to a backup.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

alcharagia posted:

So basically the Liminaliteam just saved the day in the Corbenik fight by switching the server of the MMO to a backup.

Yeah, mid Morganna crashing everything. Basically Morganna just realized "I'm not winning this" and decided to crash everything to gently caress everyone.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
In the .hack universe, "let the wookie win" is not a valid strategy.:colbert:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
So correct me if I missed something, but Liminality's where we actually learn about Harald, Emma, Aura and all that, right?

Because I skipped the Liminality episdode 3 writeup on advice of 'Liminality 3 is boring and you can skip it', and I feel like this was probably a bad idea. That whole plot thread becomes REALLY relevant all of a sudden and I think they neglected to explain it anywhere else.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

by the way, in an effort to make the IMOQ games worse I guess, they actually introduced Cubia in the .XXXX Novels with a PC form!

Let me just... copy the entry.

quote:

XXXX introduces Cubia in a PC form. He appears after Kite defeats Skeith, as a strange Twin Blade. He defeats the second Phase, Innis without much trouble, apparently on his own. His character has black hair, wears some sort of scarf, and his outfit consists of a very low shirt, and some dark pants with strange symbols. It is thought that this PC is related to the figure in the Cubia core in the canon. He also has access to the Data Drain ability, though it is inherent to him, rather than in an item he holds. Cubia proves to be a valuable ally and later a good friend of Kite's. Together, they defeat most of the Phases. Following the battle with Macha, Kite loses all his strength, and Cubia takes his body.

Cubia is aware of his role as the bracelet's anti-existence and desires Kite's bracelet so that he can free himself from the "destiny" Morganna thrust upon him: to kill Aura and, in the process, destroy the bracelet himself. Aura fears that if he succeeds, the results will be beyond even her power to repair and the Lost Ones would be lost forever. Cubia almost succeeds in absorbing Kite's bracelet until BlackRose confronts Cubia and attacks the bracelet. Cubia chats with Kite one last time, exposing that he was an NPC; Kite responds that he knew for a long time and wanted to do whatever he could so Cubia could stay in The World. As Cubia and the bracelet slowly disappear, Cubia realizes that all he wanted was a friend, which he briefly had in Kite. However, Cubia doesn't disappear completely, as he later uses his power to bring Orca back. Aura explains this as saying that although Cubia was originally created to be the anti-existence of the bracelet, he gradually also became the anti-existence of Kite. At the end, Cubia meets with Kite one last time, and Kite believes that as long as Kite exists in The World, so will Cubia.

What the gently caress.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
That is somehow dumber than *spoiler for GU* Cubia in G.U., which was pretty loving dumb.

God drat this franchise is plagued by a lot of bad.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

That is somehow dumber than *spoiler for GU* Cubia in G.U., which was pretty loving dumb.

God drat this franchise is plagued by a lot of bad.

That one made no sense and felt like it was there because they only had up to one certain boss fight and it's like "gently caress... how do we conclude this?"

This is dumb in the sense that it misses the point that Cubia is not Kite's mirror. He's the bracelts mirror and that's attached to Kite. It feels like humanizing a villain who didn't need to be humanized kind of the opposite of *Spoilers for GU* Skeith talking to Haseo using Sora's mannerisims. Because Haseo IS Sora and so different from who he was. And Skeith spent a lot of time with Sora 'in' him.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Cleretic posted:

So correct me if I missed something, but Liminality's where we actually learn about Harald, Emma, Aura and all that, right?

Because I skipped the Liminality episdode 3 writeup on advice of 'Liminality 3 is boring and you can skip it', and I feel like this was probably a bad idea. That whole plot thread becomes REALLY relevant all of a sudden and I think they neglected to explain it anywhere else.

At the time I did the writeup, I was a little bit salty about there not being a transcription online. I would have to watch two seconds of the anime, then pause and type out what was said. Repeat for approximately three hours. As far as I know, I have the only transcriptions of all four Liminality episodes on the Internet.

I still stand by what I said. Liminality 3 is easily the weakest of the four anime episodes, because nothing at all happens in it. The first one opens up with Tomonari and Mai being rendered comatose, and ends with the same almost happening to Tokuoka. The second has a massive disaster at the Bay 21 Complex. The fourth has our heroes breaking into the Megafloat Information Center in the middle of the night to set up a backup server so Kite and company don't fail. The third episode just has Tokuoka and Kyo walking around the city she lives in, looking at the local tourist spots.

Liminality 3 did give us the following, however.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

dramaticburgerbite.gif has a place of honor in my img folder, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

Bith's a cool dude and I wish we knew more about him.

• Locked thread