Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Click this for the update:

If you're in the US, happy Memorial Day! Be sure to enjoy a burger that has been grilled out. If you're not in the US, you should also do that thing. Burgers are awesome, yo.

Also enjoy this update. This is the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

finally

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
.... Why can Kite jump in a cutscene, but not in the actual game? That would have been awesome!

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Really not feeling much emotional impact from that ending.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It helps if you watched SIGN and know the story behind that story, but yeah, this ending is lackluster.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

It helps if you watched SIGN and know the story behind that story, but yeah, this ending is lackluster.

Black Balloon posted:

Really not feeling much emotional impact from that ending.

There's another ending. Though we have to go above and beyond to earn it.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

it's hammier then i remembered it being

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Something I didn't mention in the update... (mouse over this after reading) When you get the bracelet back, the game restores how corrupted your character was as well. If you had a hard time in Δ Reincarnated Purgatorial Altar, you probably shouldn't use Data Drain straight away.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Just a warning ahead of time that Sunday's update is gonna be loving awful.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sunday's update is gonna be loving amazing.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

one of the great things about the item collection quest is that it's not even possible to hold every item required in your inventory+storage at the same time

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

At this point you really might as well play a real MMO because holy gently caress.

Helba is the best though :allears:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Sunday's update is gonna be loving amazing.

Don't say I didn't try to warn y'all.

The last remaining updates should, for the most part, be a lot more interesting now. There's only one exception, and it's the one where we catch up on something like 30 e-mail chains.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Takes less time than watching all of SIGN, though. So that's nice.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah! that was an uninteresting drag indeed.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I forgive all this because they give you permanent status ups.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
What they included A-20? She appeared in one episode, I don't think we needed her to be a part of this.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

ReturnOfFable posted:

What they included A-20? She appeared in one episode, I don't think we needed her to be a part of this.

i always felt it was weird how A-20 gets lumped in with the main cast when she's in like, maybe two episodes at most.

I liked .hack//sign but this sidequest, like the one in mutation, is pretty much nothing but a transparent tie-in.
Between these sidequests and the Grunty Races you can make Kite into an unkillable monster with more hp and sp then anyone else in the game though.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

AriadneThread posted:

I liked .hack//sign but this sidequest, like the one in mutation, is pretty much nothing but a transparent tie-in.

The one in Mutation wasn't nearly as bad, because you only needed to track down like four locations and watch little vignettes play out.

I really didn't like these data ghosts. The idea is fine, but there were just too many to track down. Actually, if you pay attention to the HP totals, you can see a rather large jump between BT and Bear. This sidequest was so time-consuming and mind numbing that I got bored between the two and wandered off for about 30 hours to go make progress on the item collection event instead.

ETA: 30 hours isn't an exaggeration, either.

This is the first save I made in Quarantine.

This is the last save I made in Quarantine. :smithicide:

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 1, 2015

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

i'm so sorry

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

CC2 hates 100% completionists. Like as much as Cavia does.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The end of this very long endeavor is in sight. Just four more updates to go!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So how useful is that last spell if you aren't using it to bully weak babies? I probably isn't worth all the hassle and wearing that stuff, right?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Air is lava! posted:

So how useful is that last spell if you aren't using it to bully weak babies? I probably isn't worth all the hassle and wearing that stuff, right?

The equipment is so laughably bad. It's like level 6 stuff, even the Z series stuff that summons the ultimate goblins. Presumably it wrecks face, but being a glass cannon doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Air is lava! posted:

Not really no. In quarantine random encounters become filled with Data Bugs who are super tanky, and having no defenses against them is a bad idea.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

This is the second hardest challenge in the first four .hack games. Today we're tackling Ω Hidden Darkside Holy Ground.

(The hardest challenge is item collection.)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh man Kite that was the exact wrong this to say to the poor shcmuck.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

You made it look so easy...

Although save-scumming for non Databug enemies certainly helped.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
It's a nice ending, but isn't it technically non-canon?

KapmK
Sep 19, 2013
I'm not really on top of the canon of the mainline stuff in the dot hack universe, needless to say the side content. But I vaguely remember seeing something in G.U. that said something about all of the data from The World version 1 being destroyed in a fire, which I guess would include the resurrected Mia, maybe? :shrug: I don't know. I don't even remember how the G.U. series ends. All I remember is that there's a lot of the arena.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Oh no, this is canon, and in the most amazingly cruel way too with how they decided to set up the G.U. games

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

KapmK posted:

But I vaguely remember seeing something in G.U. that said something about all of the data from The World version 1 being destroyed in a fire, which I guess would include the resurrected Mia, maybe?

You are correct. Spoiler cause it's kinda a downer: The way this came about (according to a pre-order bonus disc thanks CC2) is that Aura brought about the Golden Age of information. Everyone was super happy and CCCorps' coffers were super full. Then she decided to slink into the sea of the net and CC lost their poo poo. So they grabbed the various phases of Morghanna and decided to use them to make their own Aura. To make sure not to cause Pluto Yet Again, they bound these phases with 8 other players. For the 7 defeated phases, they simply had to reconstruct their data. But for Mia, they apparently ripped out the basic components of her character to use for the Macha-bound character, effectively killing her.

At this point three things happened:
1) The phases rebelled and the players went insane, which led to a system malfunction which somehow burned down the building
2) Aura's daughter (whose existence I try to forget because she's irrelevant and comes from the Legend of Twilight manga which was loving terrible) tells the main guy "ya done hosed up son" and then promptly disappears from the series.
3) A dude tries to save the players, but CCCorp has him killed. Before they got to him though, he sends a copy of the Tarvos-bound character to his sister, who would later become Pi. Since she can use Tarvos no problem and Tarvos is "The Avenger", she has a hella vendetta for CC throughout GU that she keeps carefully hidden.

Then CCCorp go "welp that didn't go well, let's try a different approach" and they make The World V2.0. Cue .hack//ROOTS.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

You are correct. Spoiler cause it's kinda a downer:

You forgot the worst part.

Wiseman did it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

You are correct. Spoiler cause it's kinda a downer:

What in the everloving gently caress did I miss by not playing the last 3/4 of GU vol 3? :staredog:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DoubleNegative posted:

What in the everloving gently caress did I miss by not playing the last 3/4 of GU vol 3? :staredog:

Nah this is mostly just backstory info.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

like so much about G.U. you will never know that information unless you were suckered into buying the limited pre-order that came with the backstory discs that unlocked information as you went through the games
or
you know
looked it up on the internet

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

^^ Oh was it multiple discs?

DoubleNegative posted:

It's not in the GU volumes. It's in a pre-order bonus disc for I think Vol 1. Of course those are rare as gently caress now because CC2 hates people who want to know the whole story.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

SSNeoman posted:

CC2 hates people who want to know the whole story.
Life imitates art?

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I'm pretty sure Pi and Yata explain and allude to at least some of it in game, though most of it is through the supplementary stuff. Oh, and also? The PSP game Link reveals that Elk was there when Mia was ripped to pieces, so he got to see his love turn into a horrible monster and be torn apart before his very eyes. Again! And when he started playing the new release of The World to see if some trace of Mia was left in it, he found her! As another monster! And the horrific mind rape virus that had attached itself to her, and then him by extension!

I love Elk. The games just crush him down again and again and refuse to let up, but he just keeps dragging his broken mind through it all and refuses to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I'm pretty sure Pi and Yata explain and allude to at least some of it in game, though most of it is through the supplementary stuff. Oh, and also? The PSP game Link reveals that Elk was there when Mia was ripped to pieces, so he got to see his love turn into a horrible monster and be torn apart before his very eyes. Again! And when he started playing the new release of The World to see if some trace of Mia was left in it, he found her! As another monster! And the horrific mind rape virus that had attached itself to her, and then him by extension!

I love Elk. The games just crush him down again and again and refuse to let up, but he just keeps dragging his broken mind through it all and refuses to stop.

I wouldn't say he perseveres but.... he sure does drag his degrading psyche across the games? Like seriously by G.U. time Elk is so hosed up that in the second game, after Haseo has killed the horrible devil spawn that he thought was Mia, He basically refused to log out and spends his entire time in the fetal position in front of his computer. Unable to log out because he's a horrible wreck but not wanting to do anything.

So yeah, sucks to be Elk!

• Locked thread