Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah just ignore ROOTS. You can basically get the whole story from the GU games anyway. The only thing you need to know is that
1) Haseo was in the Twilight Brigade guild. Ovan was the guild leader.
2) Haseo liked Shino (his guild mate) in that weird pseudo-maternal way damaged anime people do
3) Shino gets Data Drained by "Tri-Edge" and falls into a coma
4) Haseo goes nuts. Tries to do an assfuck hard dungeon. Meets Harald in said dungeon and insults him, saying that he doesn't give a drat about Harald's daughter.
5) Harald zaps him and hacks his character, giving Haseo level 133 and all of his job extensions
6) He becomes a PKK known as the "Terror of Death". Goes a bit psychotic with his new power.
Rebirth picks up from this point.

Pi and Yata were the antagonists in ROOTS but that never comes up in GU so~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So worth pointing out that this is the only end-game content you're locked out of if you let Saku leave. Once you've recruited all party members (because the E-mail system was improved upon in G.U.) Aura will e-mail you a special e-mail that allows you to either swear a friendship oath

The romantic path Where you can marry that girl you killed in the opening cutscene, or that other girl who only showed up in the Post Game you wont know if you didn't watch Roots, or Endrance.

Or, if none of those interest you, just go with the good old standby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0KtKHQGJ-0

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Oh wow, I completely missed this until it ended. :smith:

Congratulations on finishing the series.

Also as far as I'm concerned GU's actual ending is the secret one you get at the end of the postgame bonus dungeon, because it's pretty much How_Haseo's_Grown_Up.txt.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Onmi posted:

And yeah my take away from .Hack has almost always been "Wow there's some really neat backstory stuff here, why is this not in the game?" of course then I wonder how it would actually get told to the player without 'Files'

.hack as I've seen it reminds me of the Mega Man Battle Network series, only grown up a little bit. They're both basically just actual computer problems blown hilariously out of proportion and given a heavy coating of anime, and that's a neat enough idea that I can forgive any problems either of them have. While .hack is certainly the less realistic of the two in that regard, it's still got some neat stuff going on, and I honestly think my favorite part is that it pretty much gets the social stuff down perfectly. With the exception of apparently some crazy poo poo in G.U., everyone seems to actually have a fairly realistic real life for an MMO player.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Cleretic posted:

.hack as I've seen it reminds me of the Mega Man Battle Network series, only grown up a little bit. They're both basically just actual computer problems blown hilariously out of proportion and given a heavy coating of anime, and that's a neat enough idea that I can forgive any problems either of them have. While .hack is certainly the less realistic of the two in that regard, it's still got some neat stuff going on, and I honestly think my favorite part is that it pretty much gets the social stuff down perfectly. With the exception of apparently some crazy poo poo in G.U., everyone seems to actually have a fairly realistic real life for an MMO player.

G.U. has a few hilariously crazy people, but the plus side is it still portrays those normal folks just playing a game. Like Silabus...

Silabus's player is Yuuichi Morino, a 19 year old college student studying liberal arts in Sendai, Miyagi. A self-proclaimed gaming addict, he carries a gaming headset with him at all times so he can play The World wherever he goes. However, he enjoys helping people in the real world just like he does online and frequently volunteers his time and energy to various charity and environmentalist organizations and hopes to become a journalist or reporter. Often he worries about his current state as he has a very messy room and spends more time playing The World than studying. To lose the weight of guilt he has taken up jogging to stay healthy. Silabus is a fan of Salvador Aihara and, unlike Kuhn, Silabus doesn't frequently attend parties nor does he have a girlfriend. He currently lives alone. He prefers Japanese food to western food and loves sashimi and grilled fish.

or Gaspard

Gaspard's player is a 13 year old middle school student named Kouta Maki who lives in Hokkaido. He goes to a cram school to study math and English. Overweight (nearly 200 pounds) and 5'9", sports are his worst subject. He has a crush on a girl named Yayoi. Gaspard is an expert at card games, including Crimson VS, being pretty much a celebrity in The World R:2, as he holds the Champion Title in the card game (although almost no one knows that Gaspard from Canard is the same Gaspard the Crimson VS Champion). He is also a fan of fatty foods like hamburgers and soda pop, though the diet on which his parents have placed him gives him few chances to enjoy these foods. He has also participated in Sumo wrestling.

or Matsu

In the real world, Matsu is a 17-year-old high school student named Shingo Kudou. He lives in Aichi Prefecture, and was formerly well known for his delinquency as a Bosozoku. After suffering from a motorcycle accident when he was sixteen, Shingou was required to remain at home in order to recover. During his recovery, Shingou first began to play The World; since then his violent tendencies have mostly vanished. Although he is admired by women, he isn't very interested in a relationship.

even characters like Bordeaux and Antares

In the real world, Bordeaux is a 14-year-old girl named Nina Kircheis. Her father is German and her mother is Japanese. When she was ten, her parents divorced and she moved to Toyama, Japan. She has a prideful personality and isn't good at dealing with change, so this part of her life was filled with stress. She discovered The World during her first year of middle school, and used it as an outlet for all the bitterness she had built up inside. She later became obsessed with Haseo.

In the real world, Antares's player is a 35-year-old man named Mikihisa Ogata. In his youth he attended an all boys school, and was a wrestler. He now works as the editor of a professional wrestling magazine, and lives in Tokyo with his wife and two daughters, who are 3 and 5 years old.

The only person who branches out of the realistic to me is Sakubo and Sakaki, mostly due to the latters age.

The one that's TOO Real to me is Atoli

Atoli's player is a 16-year-old girl named Chigusa Kusaka, who lives in the Chiba prefecture. She is part of Animal Club at school, prides herself at being a good cook, loves small birds and owns three pet birds in real life. During middle school, she was bullied frequently. Her parents harassed her about her failing grades, her loud and noisy attitude, (their belief was that girls should be quiet), and her decision to wear designer clothing one day. This led to her shutting herself in her room and browsing suicide websites, which is where she met Sakaki, who befriended her. Around the time she entered high school, Sakaki suggested for her to join The World. Chigusa also bears several marks on her left wrist from failed suicide attempts, but after playing The World and meeting Haseo, she has stopped attempting to end her life.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if anyone was concerned about the fate of Duke

Alkaid's player is a 16-year-old girl named Chika Kuramoto (倉本 智香). She is a high school student in Sapporo, Hokkaido and is classmates with the player behind Nanase. She loves books, and is part of her school's library council. She loves the Chinese classics like The Water Margin and Romance of the Three Kingdoms, but also Western fantasy and thrillers like Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Her favorite food is miso butter ramen, and one day she hopes to go on a restaurant hop around Japan. She is also a big fan of comedians like Salvador Aihara and "Mr. Usagimaru".

He succeeded in comedy!

In fact

After his adventures as a .hacker Nuke and Rachel formed a comedy duo named "New Creatures". Though they had little success at first, seven years later in 2017 a new manager was able to turn them into famous celebrities. At this time, Alkaid mentions that "Mr. Usagimaru" is one of her favorite comedians.

There's also this Picture for Ants of them in the real world.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 11, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Chigusa also bears several marks on her left wrist from failed suicide attempts, but after playing The World and meeting Haseo, she has stopped attempting to end her life.

I forgot this bit :unsmith:
I wish Atoli had a better voice actress. I understand she's supposed to be annoying, but the VA went a little too far on that front. I guess that was part of the point, but still.

Silabus is a cool dude and people give him poo poo for no reason. I even like Gaspard, though admittedly that's because he is a master salesman and can turn my vendor trash into cash.

Cleretic posted:

With the exception of apparently some crazy poo poo in G.U., everyone seems to actually have a fairly realistic real life for an MMO player.

Even GU is pretty sane when it doesn't take place in the AI birth box that is The World. Other than the fact that CC2 has a PR and Fixer team that would make Umbrella jealous.

This is another reason why the Aina "reveal" pisses me off. It's so generic compared to the relatively normal lives the other characters have. She's a girl who has an Incurable Disease, she can only Spend Time with her Dearest Big Brother when they're playing the dumb MMO (where he already got his Avatar and Lost Weapon), she has a Gothic Lolita character, she is so Naive that she put her Real Name as her character name and she becomes possessed by Aura so that she can act as the Messiah-esque peacekeeper but ultimately accomplish fuckall. Doesn't your heart tug?

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 11, 2015

KapmK
Sep 19, 2013
I'd agree that G.U. does a pretty good job of writing believable characters, with a few exceptions. They do tend to forget they're playing a video game sometimes, though. They tend to conflate problems like "there are too many pks in the world" with problems like "several of my closest friends are in comas and I'm the only one who can save them" a little too often.

That said, one of my favorite things in the series is reading the message boards and talking to the players wandering around town. Whoever was in charge of writing that stuff did a really good job.

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah just ignore ROOTS. You can basically get the whole story from the GU games anyway. The only thing you need to know is that
1) Haseo was in the Twilight Brigade guild. Ovan was the guild leader.
2) Haseo liked Shino (his guild mate) in that weird pseudo-maternal way damaged anime people do
3) Shino gets Data Drained by "Tri-Edge" and falls into a coma
4) Haseo goes nuts. Tries to do an assfuck hard dungeon. Meets Harald in said dungeon and insults him, saying that he doesn't give a drat about Harald's daughter.
5) Harald zaps him and hacks his character, giving Haseo level 133 and all of his job extensions
6) He becomes a PKK known as the "Terror of Death". Goes a bit psychotic with his new power.
Rebirth picks up from this point.

Pi and Yata were the antagonists in ROOTS but that never comes up in GU so~

Wait, so... Haseo never actually got to that level himself? Everything was just handed to him on a silver platter? That... pretty significantly recontextualizes his character. It makes more sense, but it also makes him even more of a pissant at the beginning of G.U.

KapmK fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 11, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

KapmK posted:

I'd agree that G.U. does a pretty good job of writing believable characters, with a few exceptions. They do tend to forget they're playing a video game sometimes, though. They tend to conflate problems like "there are too many pks in the world" with problems like "several of my closest friends are in comas and I'm the only one who can save them" a little too often.

That said, one of my favorite things in the series is reading the message boards and talking to the players wandering around town. Whoever was in charge of writing that stuff did a really good job.

Wait, so... Haseo never actually got to that level himself? Everything was just handed to him on a silver platter? That... pretty significantly recontextualizes his character. It makes more sense, but it also makes him even more of a pissant at the beginning of G.U.

To be fair he still beat the Forest of Pain legitimately, but yeah he got hacked to an absurd level with his poo poo unlocked. It also sets up that the hacked 133 Haseo couldn't do anything to Azure Kite, while Haseo at maximum Level 50 with Kuhn and Pi was able to defeat him. Friendship!

EDIT: In more interesting concepts that we wont ever actually see

Guilty Dragon: The Sin Dragon and the Eight Curses is an Online RPG ISO game that's basically a card battle game but it's a Dot Hack concept and set in The World: Armed Conflict

there are 6 Phantom bosses in these games all referencing past .Hack Characters

Azure Flame Pursuer - Kite

Black Clad Destroyer - Haseo

Emerald Green Prisoner - Tsukasa

Sharp Black Rose - Blackrose

Silver Conviction - Balmung

Mischevious Cat of the Twin Purple Moons - Sakubo

Onmi fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 11, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

KapmK posted:

You gotta understand that this came when he lost pretty much everything. The girl he loved was comatose. His mentor and confidant was off god-knows-where. And pretty much the only thing he had left at that point was this last ditch on the forest of pain.
And the point of that power up was that even with all those levels and abilities it didn't make Haseo feel any better. He actually got a lot worse, becoming obsessed with finding Tri-edge by any means necessary and taking revenge. He basically became psychotic. That's why Skeith "found" him.

Then of course Azure Kite data drains him (while trying to data drain Ovan who was behind him) and he wakes up to find his character at level 1, with no abilities and all his e-mails from Shino are gone. That was the moment he hit rock bottom hard.

To that end I'm actually surprised that Bordeux had a marriage ending. I mean Haseo chainsaw'd her and her buddiers in the beginning of Vol 1. And then knocked her out with Skeith. And then Data Drained her when she became infected with Oswald.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

You gotta understand that this came when he lost pretty much everything. The girl he loved was comatose. His mentor and confidant was off god-knows-where. And pretty much the only thing he had left at that point was this last ditch on the forest of pain.
And the point of that power up was that even with all those levels and abilities it didn't make Haseo feel any better. He actually got a lot worse, becoming obsessed with finding Tri-edge by any means necessary and taking revenge. He basically became psychotic. That's why Skeith "found" him.

Then of course Azure Kite data drains him (while trying to data drain Ovan who was behind him) and he wakes up to find his character at level 1, with no abilities and all his e-mails from Shino are gone. That was the moment he hit rock bottom hard.

To that end I'm actually surprised that Bordeux had a marriage ending. I mean Haseo chainsaw'd her and her buddiers in the beginning of Vol 1. And then knocked her out with Skeith. And then Data Drained her when she became infected with Oswald.

It's actually kind of sweat of the marraige endings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrfoPW3rsko I mean it makes more sense than Kaede who barely knows Haseo. at least Bordeaux has a twisted knowledge of him from fighting him all the time. Also I know it was meant to be an emotional moment but I just break down laughing when at the end of Redemption Haseo screams at Ovan's departing... conciousness? "You always leave before I can tell you what I feel!" mostly because Ovan consistently leaves Haseo in the absolute dark and never once answers his questions or helps him. There's this whole hero worship from Haseo because Ovan was introduced to him by avenging his death and he essentially was everything Haseo would have wanted to be.

• Locked thread