Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

4 times. I had to go through that goddamn dungeon 4 times. The first time I killed the boss no sweat hey why didn't he protect break?

I have to do what? OH gently caress YO-

Second time I killed him with magic. No protect break.

Third time was the same.

Only on the fourth time did I finally manage to data drain him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I still want to know what was the train of thought behind the item collection quest.
"We have a series of games. Each game has items unique to it and are missable if you don't scrounge every corner. You have limited inventory space. Let's make a quest where you collect all the items!"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hey you know how you think virus cores aren't fun? Well you're right :suicide:

And I don't have the exact numbers, but I swear to god CC2 decided to lower the drop rate of cores in this game. And you need a low infection rating to get cores, but you need to data drain data bugs to kill them, which increases infection.

So that's fun.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Onmi posted:

Rachel remains a giant rear end. And man Quarrantine moves loving quick

When you don't have to hunt down the absurd number of virus cores they ask you, yeah it's pretty short.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm not sure I want to buy three games for one again, so fingers crossed they'll do more than update the graphics and put all three discs into one box and sell that.

Yeah ditto. I liked GU and don't regret my purchase, but I wouldn't buy it again.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I heard that hitting level 99 increases your infection meter thing by a noticeable amount, but I haven't seen anyone confirm that.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I will say one thing about the phases, they always manage to look alien and menacing. An yet they all have that eye theme.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mai is pretty okay with clubbin' fools with 2x4s.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It helps if you watched SIGN and know the story behind that story, but yeah, this ending is lackluster.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

At this point you really might as well play a real MMO because holy gently caress.

Helba is the best though :allears:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I forgive all this because they give you permanent status ups.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

CC2 hates 100% completionists. Like as much as Cavia does.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Air is lava! posted:

So how useful is that last spell if you aren't using it to bully weak babies? I probably isn't worth all the hassle and wearing that stuff, right?

Not really no. In quarantine random encounters become filled with Data Bugs who are super tanky, and having no defenses against them is a bad idea.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh man Kite that was the exact wrong this to say to the poor shcmuck.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

KapmK posted:

But I vaguely remember seeing something in G.U. that said something about all of the data from The World version 1 being destroyed in a fire, which I guess would include the resurrected Mia, maybe?

You are correct. Spoiler cause it's kinda a downer: The way this came about (according to a pre-order bonus disc thanks CC2) is that Aura brought about the Golden Age of information. Everyone was super happy and CCCorps' coffers were super full. Then she decided to slink into the sea of the net and CC lost their poo poo. So they grabbed the various phases of Morghanna and decided to use them to make their own Aura. To make sure not to cause Pluto Yet Again, they bound these phases with 8 other players. For the 7 defeated phases, they simply had to reconstruct their data. But for Mia, they apparently ripped out the basic components of her character to use for the Macha-bound character, effectively killing her.

At this point three things happened:
1) The phases rebelled and the players went insane, which led to a system malfunction which somehow burned down the building
2) Aura's daughter (whose existence I try to forget because she's irrelevant and comes from the Legend of Twilight manga which was loving terrible) tells the main guy "ya done hosed up son" and then promptly disappears from the series.
3) A dude tries to save the players, but CCCorp has him killed. Before they got to him though, he sends a copy of the Tarvos-bound character to his sister, who would later become Pi. Since she can use Tarvos no problem and Tarvos is "The Avenger", she has a hella vendetta for CC throughout GU that she keeps carefully hidden.

Then CCCorp go "welp that didn't go well, let's try a different approach" and they make The World V2.0. Cue .hack//ROOTS.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

^^ Oh was it multiple discs?

DoubleNegative posted:

What in the everloving gently caress did I miss by not playing the last 3/4 of GU vol 3? :staredog:

It's not in the GU volumes. It's in a pre-order bonus disc for I think Vol 1. Of course those are rare as gently caress now because CC2 hates people who want to know the whole story.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah GU Elk is literally a hikkikomori. Yata says he plays the drat game for like 12 hours each day, logging off only to eat and sleep (his mom leaves him food outside his door). He's an ultragoon who is afraid of the outside and is afraid of girls.
And he only gets worse as the series goes on :(

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

The gameplay in GU is better but it takes the utter idiocy of the story to new and stupid extremes. You can safely skip it.

Like in IMOQ, it's the subtler details that are the most effective. Like Sakaki meeting Atoli on a suicide website or the thing with Endrance/Elk. The actual plot is considerably worse because it tries to be a direct sequel to ROOTS whereas IMOQ was more of its own stand-alone story. Not helping matters was that ROOTS got super dumb in places, namely about the antagonists TaN. The other issue was that CC2 decided to put in a lot of poo poo For Fans so the story had parts where it suddenly decided to, as Onmi said, focus on Atoli. My own personal annoyance about that second bit was that Ovan still ended up being portrayed as a ~mysterious, supacool~ dude and not as a gently caress up of cataclysmic proportions.
Seriously, literally none of his plans work.

Vol 1 is great, Vol 2 is alright, but man Vol 3 is a trainwreck from the word go.

Senerio posted:

The best thing is what G.U. Stands for. It really is the core part of that trilogy.

Grow Up

The cool bit of this is that it's an ironic "gently caress you" to CC Corp. The project with Mia and the epitaphs was called "Project GU" and its various stages were all abbreviated into GU (Genesis of the Unknown, Geek's Utopia, Grand Uprising, etc).
Then CC Corp made an actual GU team to basically unfuck the aftermath of Project GU.
Which then became the team to unfuck the aftermath of the mind-rape virus that got hold of the aftermath of Project GU :v:.
It became Grow Up because kids, through their own growths and journeys, ended up being more mature and took way more action than a company of adults.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 6, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Onmi posted:

Volume 3 I think is pretty fine right up until the final battle with Ovan. Because while the scene with Haseo going over the events of the games and unlocking Xth form is really cool.... then the game sort of realizes it doesn't have a plot anymore because it just took out the main antagonist. So it just shrugs and goes "Cubia again!"

Oh it got way worse for me before that. What was Ovan's major reason for all the poo poo that he did? A dead comatose little sister, who he himself data drained. Really that just instantly deflated all the build-up that the games had. I was hoping for something cool, like how AIDA was basically Aura, only without Morghanna to monitor its growth so that's why it went haywire. Nope! Just a dumb virus that was propagated thanks to Ovan's stupidity and that gets erased from the story when the reset button is pressed.
Then CC2 makes Sakaki, who was a major antagonist of GU, basically run the drat show in lieu of Yata/Wiseman. Sakaki, I should mention, is like 10 in the real world and corrupted by AIDA. I will admit that his comeuppance is legitimately satisfying, but holy poo poo.
Aura's "appearance" in the game was also frustratingly useless, which is super weird to me because she of all people should realize what the World is, and what Morghanna's powers do to people. I get that she didn't want to be the goddess of the world (both virtual and real), but I would have liked for more dialogue on the matter, not some pithy insight from Endrance of all people. She felt more like fanservice than an actual part in the story.
And yeah, Cubia :sigh:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

AriadneThread posted:

oh no, this is actually exactly what aida is, it's why aida is drawn to epitaph users, why the get more numerous as users awaken, etc. it's the old morganna code still spitting out data but with no singular program (aura) to feed it into, if aura is a god, aida is an amoeba
there's a post-game anime episode like the one sign does for imoq that shows aida continuing to be created
none of that's spelled out though or seemingly matters to the plot,
i don't think it's ever explained why an aida ever attacked ovan/his sister to begin with, or why they might not try something again
i think they wave it away as 'that one aida was a bad seed/bad influence on the other aida'

this loving series

Welp, I never knew that. So really, there's no guarantee that what happened with Ovan and Aina wouldn't happen again? Hahaha loving hell CC Corp.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

:catstare: Holy poo poo I can't believe I missed out on this e-mail chain.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The best part is that Crispin Freeman ad-libbed this line.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah just ignore ROOTS. You can basically get the whole story from the GU games anyway. The only thing you need to know is that
1) Haseo was in the Twilight Brigade guild. Ovan was the guild leader.
2) Haseo liked Shino (his guild mate) in that weird pseudo-maternal way damaged anime people do
3) Shino gets Data Drained by "Tri-Edge" and falls into a coma
4) Haseo goes nuts. Tries to do an assfuck hard dungeon. Meets Harald in said dungeon and insults him, saying that he doesn't give a drat about Harald's daughter.
5) Harald zaps him and hacks his character, giving Haseo level 133 and all of his job extensions
6) He becomes a PKK known as the "Terror of Death". Goes a bit psychotic with his new power.
Rebirth picks up from this point.

Pi and Yata were the antagonists in ROOTS but that never comes up in GU so~

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Chigusa also bears several marks on her left wrist from failed suicide attempts, but after playing The World and meeting Haseo, she has stopped attempting to end her life.

I forgot this bit :unsmith:
I wish Atoli had a better voice actress. I understand she's supposed to be annoying, but the VA went a little too far on that front. I guess that was part of the point, but still.

Silabus is a cool dude and people give him poo poo for no reason. I even like Gaspard, though admittedly that's because he is a master salesman and can turn my vendor trash into cash.

Cleretic posted:

With the exception of apparently some crazy poo poo in G.U., everyone seems to actually have a fairly realistic real life for an MMO player.

Even GU is pretty sane when it doesn't take place in the AI birth box that is The World. Other than the fact that CC2 has a PR and Fixer team that would make Umbrella jealous.

This is another reason why the Aina "reveal" pisses me off. It's so generic compared to the relatively normal lives the other characters have. She's a girl who has an Incurable Disease, she can only Spend Time with her Dearest Big Brother when they're playing the dumb MMO (where he already got his Avatar and Lost Weapon), she has a Gothic Lolita character, she is so Naive that she put her Real Name as her character name and she becomes possessed by Aura so that she can act as the Messiah-esque peacekeeper but ultimately accomplish fuckall. Doesn't your heart tug?

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

KapmK posted:

Wait, so... Haseo never actually got to that level himself? Everything was just handed to him on a silver platter? That... pretty significantly recontextualizes his character. It makes more sense, but it also makes him even more of a pissant at the beginning of G.U.

You gotta understand that this came when he lost pretty much everything. The girl he loved was comatose. His mentor and confidant was off god-knows-where. And pretty much the only thing he had left at that point was this last ditch on the forest of pain.
And the point of that power up was that even with all those levels and abilities it didn't make Haseo feel any better. He actually got a lot worse, becoming obsessed with finding Tri-edge by any means necessary and taking revenge. He basically became psychotic. That's why Skeith "found" him.

Then of course Azure Kite data drains him (while trying to data drain Ovan who was behind him) and he wakes up to find his character at level 1, with no abilities and all his e-mails from Shino are gone. That was the moment he hit rock bottom hard.

To that end I'm actually surprised that Bordeux had a marriage ending. I mean Haseo chainsaw'd her and her buddiers in the beginning of Vol 1. And then knocked her out with Skeith. And then Data Drained her when she became infected with Oswald.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 11, 2015

• Locked thread