Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

DERP, yeah its Monday, I fixed it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Completed bio for Jasirak.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Zin

"Nobody trusts a changeling. Many of my kind have lamented this fact throughout the ages. They spend their whole lives making sure nobody finds out about their true form. When somebody finds out, everything comes crashing down around them. Whatever lives they have built are shattered, for honest society will never trust them again. However, I find the reverse to also be true. When it's dishonest work that needs doing, everyone turns to the changeling to carry it out. From grift to assassination, having a changeling do the work makes people feel safer. More clandestine. So if you've heard that there's a changeling living in the loft above Ginella's Bakery on the corner of Meridian and Fourth, it's because you've heard what a changeling might be able to do for you. And I cannot say for certain until I hear you out, but I believe you may very well be right."

----

Zin has lived in Khyber's Gate his whole life and Khyber's Gate is where he fully intends to stay. He has ambitions, certainly. He loves gold, most definitely. But he's seen what the rest of Sharn has to offer and while most speak of the Gate with derision or disgust, there's nowhere else he'd rather be. There, he knows how things work. There, he can walk around wearing his own face and nobody looks at him twice. There, his talents and expertise are appreciated. They have always been appreciated. One of his earliest memories is of when, as a boy of no more than six, the leader of the thieves' band that raised him found him going through the band's loot, counting. He counted all the copper, all the silver, sorted all the valuable-looking trinkets and counted them too. Zin happily told the leader his final count, and the leader saw something in this little boy. The leader told Zin that he would be the band's Treasurer from now on - that it would be his job to count and sort everything. The years passed, Zin grew, and a boyhood penchant for counting became a proficiency with numbers. And it turned out numbers meant a great deal in Khyber's Gate. There were numbers in patterns, like when and how often the Tarkanan heavies switched out who was bodyguarding their house leader. There were numbers in details, like where exactly you could stand to the side of someone without entering their peripheral vision. And of course, there were calculations, like how many drops of goodnight tincture you'd have to put in a half-orc's beer to knock them out - and how few to use to make sure they wouldn't know what happened when they woke up. Zin, well into his teens at this point, became good at calculations. Around this time, he also started displaying a burgeoning psionic talent. For years, Zin's fellow thieves had been encouraging his growth by passing him whatever books they happened to find while robbing wizards and other scholarly types. When his psionic abilities started to emerge, everyone was overjoyed. Zin liked knowledge for knowledge's sake, of course, but what he loved most was applying his mind to the band's exploits. He always wanted to be able to use his knowledge to be the best thief he could possibly be, rather than sitting on the sidelines merely advising the others. So he learned. And for a time, it seemed like that'd be the life for him.

Unfortunately, Zin had hardly made it to the other side of his teenage years when disaster struck. A badly botched heist on a House Kundarak vault left most of the band dead, including the kind leader who'd done so much to raise him. Zin was devastated. The people he'd relied upon his whole life - his closest friends, and the closest thing he had to a family - were gone. He spent the next little while just living, unsure of what to do next - but the band had never been the most successful thieves, and it didn't take long for his money to run out. Zin was forced to start over on his own. He sold his services to whoever needed them, offering three guarantees: That he would get the job done, that he would get it done efficiently, and that he was completely and utterly mercenary. He decided that this time, he'd do things differently. He'd build a network of contacts, not a team. He'd make sure he was self-sufficient rather than relying on anyone else. Getting back to work had re-ignited the old flame in him, the old drive to be the best he could possibly be. The best professional. The best criminal. He didn't mind the word, unlike some. In fact, he took pride in it. It meant he had a skillset not everyone shared. It meant he had knowledge that would be considered esoteric in the high-flying spires of the Skyway. Most of all, it meant his nature was justified. His meticulous, mathematic, precise nature was justified as a criminal, since unlike honest folk, criminals could afford no mistakes. Every day, every job put his life on the line. A single mistake, a single oversight could mean the end. And Zin could not possibly feel more at home.

Wol fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 18, 2015

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

Btuzeg "Bugsby" Sgal
Bugbear Bootlegger
Sheet: http://orokos.com/dnd4e/sheets/7619

I'm not the most sophisticated guy, it's true. Booze, women, gold - the simple things are what drive me. Of course sometimes a bit of sophistication would've been helpful. Make me think through things a bit more than I did. There aren't a lot of opportunities for someone of my... stature, in the civilized world. So when the opportunity came, I jumped at the chance to be part of a tribe again - a family, if you take my meaning. They did right by me, and I did right by them. I got my cut, and I got to cut some deadbeats up when they didn't pay their 'taxes.' All in all life was good. I even got a little tavern to my name, a down-low establishment skirting around the liquor taxes of the city. Risky business, but as I said I got weaknesses and it's hard to resist temptation.

Of course, all good things must come to an end. The more you want something to last forever, the quicker it all goes to hell, see? I shoulda known when the 'Forged crew in fancy suits came in together. The game was up, for me. Still not sure who exactly they were. A rival gang, a band of mercenaries. Maybe the Doge's Guard, that caught wind of our... activities. They wrecked my bar up pretty good. Torched it. But then the craziest poo poo happened, and I guess my little establishment was the battleground for some sort of gang war to which I was not party. Whoever they were, the Warforged got taken down hard. The guy that did it disappeared himself quicklike, and I decided to do the same. The commotion called the Guardsmen down on me, and no amount of bribes or threats was going to solve that problem. Moreover, whoever sent that first crew was probably going to send another, and all things considered I felt a sudden and irresistible wanderlust come over me. I needed to travel, and it didn't matter where, so long as I was getting far away as I could, quickly and quietly.

So I paid my dues to the family as best I could and split for here. I got a still from the old bar, flasks for distribution and my secret recipe to get the operations running again. Of course Sharn is a bigger, badder place than the old stomping grounds. Lots of players, and they don't play nice from what I hear. I'm back to square one, but that could be worse. I could be six in the red - six feet underground and bloody, that is. But that's why I'm here. Security is something I'm familiar with. Reactive, or... proactive. Whatever ya need.

---------
Bugbear Barbarian/Cleric, a strongman who knows how to fight in a group and keep the others on their feet. A bit of experience directing a street fight, and he packs one hell of a wallop himself. He's kept himself in good physical shape, and most surprisingly is his ability to disappear into the shadows like a professional - despite being a veritable giant.

ProfessorCurly fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 19, 2015

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Leutgard Brüsst, Cyran Refugee, Murderer

Once upon a time, there was a dream. We called it Cyre, and she was the one gleaming hope in the middle of the sorry wreck that was Khorvaire during the war. She was a nation of beautiful things and beautiful people, even in the midst of war, and I loved her. She was my anchor, my shelter, my... I wish I could describe her to you, but I never had much teaching, and any words I can think of fall hollow. She was everything to me.

They say every Cyran is an artist. I guess that's true, in a sense. I've never touched a paintbrush, but every man in Cyre prided themselves on something. A baker wouldn't just call himself a baker, any more than a duelist would be happy with the name 'soldier'. It was all about finding something you were good at and chasing it until you were the best, the very best, when people would come to you and no-one else, because they knew you could do things they couldn't even think of...

Do I sound proud? I was an artist too, once upon a time, though as I said I've never used a paintbrush. My own pursuit was execution. Ah, I can see your imagination sparking already. I was far from your common alley rat, who'd put a knife in your guts for a half-silver piece. I'd find the comparison insulting, but I can forgive you. No reason you should know nowadays. Back then, if there was somebody you wanted dead... well, there were plenty of people you could contact, but nobody quite like me. I made death beautiful, as was only suitable in beautiful Cyre. No sense marring her with such an ugly thing as a 'murder'. An execution implies a certain... artistry, a sort of intent, the idea that the death is deserved, that it's some kind of grand work...

I've spent a lot of time thinking about how things were back then. Can you tell? I suppose memories and nostalgia are all I have left now. I lost so much in the Mourning, more than you can ever imagine. My beautiful nation, my keeper, my sanctuary, she... she died. No, worse. She was murdered. The bastards took her, and her people, and everything inside her, and gave them ugly deaths. That's the worst part. All she was, all she represented, turned to glass... I remember that day, gazing across the country as the blasting mists swept across her... and I remember everything going dark as the Mourning took my eyes.

I wandered the world, dazed, craving everything I'd lost. I was nearly helpless at first, and received little help from others. Nobody wanted to associate with a refugee from Cyre. How far we'd fallen... Slowly, though, I began to adapt to my new condition. I'd heard it before - lose one sense, and the others became that much stronger. I hadn't believed it much. I hadn't thought about it much. Who thinks about being blind? But I learned that it was true in the dark days following the Mourning. My hearing became sharper, my touch more sensitive, my sense of smell more than I'd ever thought possible. I became more adept without my sight than I'd been with it. Back then, I thought that was just how it worked, but now that I look back... surely it cannot be natural. Perhaps I can thank the Mourning for one thing, at least.

Eventually, I came to Sharn. City of Lost Souls, they call it. It fits. There's always demand for killers, steady work with good pay. I've been practising my trade here for three years now. It all seems to ring hollow, though, here amongst the towers and their hollow gaudiness. The artistry is gone, there's no pleasure in it any more, no matter how elaborate or difficult the job. I'm just a blade for hire. An alley rat. A murderer. I flit between jobs, sometimes laying low, sometimes leaving a trail of bodies in my wake. Right now, I'm working 'security' for some House or another. Doesn't matter which. Neither does the title. Sooner or later, all these jobs turn into killing. Maybe I'll find something good here. I doubt it.The future looks bleak. Once upon a time, I had a dream...

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

"Dashing" Dan Felsbock, The Doorman(Dwarf Druid)

An Honorary Plaque placed upon the Seat of a Reserved Stool at a Gentleman's Club posted:

ATTENTION ALL BOASTERS, BANISHERS, BEEF-WITS, BIG-TIMERS, ARCANE-DABBLERS, BLACKGUARDS, BLATHERSKITES, FACES, SCOUNDRELS, VIGILANTES, KNAVES, HI-SOCIETY TYPES, WELL-TO-DOS, WALL-STALKERS AND GAS-BAGS! Come to the Hot & Brotheled Fellows Club on Thousands Street ANY drat TIME you like I PROMISE YOU! I will OUT-QUAFF YOU AND ALL YOUR SPONGY FRIENDS!

Learned the ancient rites from his father and grandfather, learned to fight from the army, learned to drink from the job. Dan Felsblock is a middle-aged Dwarven man with an ex-wife, at least one good son and the sage advice only a life poorly lived can provide. Even today you can venture down into the rear end end of Sharn and find the man wasting his glory days and his retirement payout. On girls, on drinking new blood under the table, on anyone who will still listen to the time he "led four knock-down raids... in a single night!"

Dan can tell you about his first year in the Sharn Watch, back when he actually believed that he would do a lot of good for a lot of folks. That naive attitude was tested back and forth like bad metal and broke about as fast, Dan swiftly developing a reputation as less a loyal guard and more a reliably dirty cop. The Doorman always knew how to look the other way, leave a door unlocked on just the night somebody would be testing handles, or drop off packages in discreet locations. As long as coin found its way into his hand he didn't care if it ticked, sloshed or struggled. With Dwarven workmanship he went in every day, stayed late most nights and dutifully served Sharn citizens, the more underhanded ones still being technical residents of the city and all. The best part was that by properly toeing the line he kept his bosses in the Watch satisfied, got to crack a few skulls now and then to spice things up and was even rewarded by his independent contractors for properly roughing up the fall guys and nobody else. Everybody won and it was an easy sell with his family's ancient traditions of savagery. Decades ago his father had said it was a waste of the bloodlines blessing, but that was all in the past, especially when the two stopped speaking entirely.

Dan figured he could set himself up for a pleasant fifty years of craftworking, fishing and a bit of travel once he was an old man himself. Gods knows that if he hadn't got caught he might have even spent the rest of his life with his ex, Helen. For some reason she couldn't quite see past how a simple man in the Watch was able to indulge as Dan did on his meager coin and it led to a bit of snooping. To the lass's credit she kept it to herself even as the two separated, Dan Jr still thinking his dad was just a hard-working guard. It was just as well, the Watch turned a blind eye to most of it, same as the men serving did to the grim necessities of their day-to-day. The way Dan figured it there was no harm in holding a snitch so that he could get some sense beaten into him. Was some other boy wielding the club. No harm in putting the freeze on a trade caravan for the night. Only fair to let some other businessmen set an iron in the fire. This was all Dan needed to tell himself as he counted his coins and put in his last year, stretching his shifts and padding his pay rate. He'd retire and live like a king.

Only problem is the coin is starting to dry up. He can't count on growing old in comfort this way, let alone leaving Sharn. Whenever he lingers on it a bit too long and forgets to keep his head pickled, he thinks that he'll need to pick up a new line of work.

Just one last job.

---

I threw in 46 as Age but whatever works for "Middle Aged Dwarf" in your setting, frajaq. Hundred plus years, two hundred plus, etc.

A former dirty, dirty cop who used his "urban druid" talents to make a middle of the road Watch position easy. Took a lot of bribes, accessory to a lot of crimes, just tactful or guilty enough to avoid doing serious felonies. Always cooperative with criminal elements and a dependable fellow for tip-offs before raids.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lapis, animate mural from a forgotten era
Shardmind Hybrid Artificer|Warlord
http://orokos.com/dnd4e/sheets/7615

The City of Towers stands upon centuries of architectural magic, and it’s not unusual for the occasional ritual or repairs to go awry. A series of coincidental errors caused the saying “if these walls could speak” to manifest in a forgotten corner of the lower wards.

Lapis began as a series of murals in one of Old Sharn’s public offices. Great heroes slew enemies of the state, politicians fostered ages of prosperity, and gods provided patronage. Countless people passed through the halls until time and vertical expansion rendered the structure obsolete. The murals’ tiles chipped and faded with time, and the heroes’ names passed into obscurity. The magic wards also decayed, and their waning energy seeped from the walls.

Slowly but surely, the crumbling tiles reassembled themselves into a new form. The personalities of many ancient heroes and bureaucrats coalesced into the entity identified as Lapis. They initially hid among the ruins, and spent years observing the shady dealings of the Sharn’s underworld. No one expected the empty halls of the Lower Ward to be watching and listening. Lapis has since developed a knack for dealing in secrets, and is bold enough to interact with living souls. Their mix of ancient knowledge and arcane weirdness has proven useful for organizations on either side of the law.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

No more app submits, choices will be in another post shortly

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Ok due to so many great apps this was really hard to do so I kinda hate you all. Anyway here it goes!

Martello, Warforged Artificer - played by Winged Orpheus
Jasirak "the Extractor," Eladrin Mage (and kitty cat) - played by Necroskowitz
Brangor "The Tree", Goliath Warden - played by Olanphonia
Btuzeg "Bugsby" Sgal, Bugbear Barbarian/Cleric - played by ProfessorCurly
Leucis "Reverence" Lightbringer, Tiefling Elementalist - played by Ryuujin
Hargoth "Ironguts", Minotaur Warlord - played by CapitalistPig

With this many apps I was thinking about doing two games, before quickly realizing I'm not insane.

:frogsiren: If I ever need replacements in the future I'm going to obviously give preference to people that already apped

Thanks everyone! I'll try to put the thread tomorrow if I can, otherwise further down this week.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

PROLOGUE

The Mean Ogre Alehouse - The Lower City, near Cliffside, close to midnight

On a usual night this seedy tavern would be packed with action, the usual rowdy customers together with travelers and sailors that wandered too far from the waterfront districts in the nearby Cliffside.

Tonight will be anything but usual.

You all followed the job directions to the latter, arriving a good time early at the tavern because who knows, maybe this employer is one of the obsessed with punctuality types. The tavern is completely empty, save yourselves there is a hooded half-elf on the lookout at the door, who asked for the confirmation from you all about the job but refused to answer anything else, and a human bartender which stayed completely silent as he served you guys some standard swill before entering some room in the back and staying there.

You're gathered around the biggest table in the tavern, which conveniently is the furthest from the door. As you look at some rusty and poorly maintained clock in the wall, you reckon this agent of House Tarkanan will arrive soon...

Post your character impressions of the group, keeping in mind this is the first time you're meeting each other.

Feel free to make some chit-chat between yourselves if you want, but staying silent for now is understandable too.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Leucis "Reverence" Lightbringer tiefling fire elementalist

The crimson man sweeps by the table, a whiff of brimstone as he passes. He sits grandly, giving each of you a friendly nod, before picking up his drink. He seems to take a sip, and as he scans the room he carefully nurses the swill. Or at least he occasionally brings the tankard to his lips. If asked he gives his name as Reverence.

Ironguts stands out, Reverence often draws the eye, but the minotaur stands head and shoulders above him, and likely anyone else in the room. Now some minotaurs are fairly mindless beasts, so who knows how useful this well armored minotaur will be. If nothing else it should be capable of charging and taking blows for the rest. Though subtleties about it suggests that it is well trained, a skilled warrior, and perhaps more. He would have to see what it proves capable of.

Well the Minotaur did stand out, but perhaps not the most, the construct Martello also quickly draws Reverence's eye. A warforged. Adventuring. It does happen, but it still is somewhat rare. They were free now, and trying to find their own place in the world. This one doesn't seem as heavily built as some, though it does look like it will take a beating well. No idea what it was built to do, without watching it in action. It doesn't really stand out as a major combat unit though.

The Extractor. An elf. Who knows what subcategory of elf, there are so many of them. Seems to have some kind of cat following him. Probably a spellcaster or a ranger. Though a ranger would probably wear some leather armor or something, instead of wearing nothing more than cloth. Seems to have a staff, no other weapons visible, so probably a spellcaster of some form. No idea what kind until they start unleashing spells.

The Tree looms nearby. And Reverence really begins to feel the weight of that word. Loom. So many looming over him recently, a good two feet of height on him. Minotaur, Goliath, and Warforged. Reverence hadn't felt that small until he was surrounded by these three. Well the Goliath looks like they can take some hits, and dish some out. Carries an axe and shield, definitely looks combat capable. Of course looks can be deceiving, as with all the others Reverence really needs to see them in action.

And another towering figure with Bugsby, a bugbear, also well armored. Well at least compared to the elf and Reverence. Seems to be carrying a massive shovel, or is it an axe? So probably combat capable. Well he feeling quite judgemental today. Then again most of them do look like they could hold their own in a fight, and their kind are generally known for fighting. But really he can't tell what their capabilities are until he witnesses them.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Ironguts

Ironguts enters the room and before moving further in examines the room with his eyes lingering on exactly where each window and door is, when satisfied he could get out if he needed to he walked to the table and just stood quietly examining each other person there the way one would examine a chess board calculating exactly which pawn would be placed where for the maximum effect.

He seems pleased for a moment before resuming his blank neutral look and remaining quiet.

Hargoth does not engage in conversations if he is spoken to and only answers questions with short , curt answers.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
For all of the spurned apps to use: http://acolyte.wikia.com/wiki/(Sigh) :v:

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Brangor "The Tree"

Brangor stoops slightly to enter the alehouse. He didn't strictly need to, per se. There were a couple of inches between his head and the top of the door, but it was a habit he had gained over the years. He takes in the room with a glance. Secrecy was apparently important to House Tarkanan given the total emptiness of the tavern and the utter indifference the barkeep had shown his silver tip. Any other time and he might have suspected a trap. Maybe one of Brangor's enemy's had finally gotten smart. It was pretty unlikely, though. There was some comfort to be had in the other members of the gathering. All of them looked capable enough and none looked anything like the people who wanted Brangor dead. Of course, maybe this time my intuition has failed me and this really is a hit squad. It was definitely strange seeing so many others that were nearly his height. Brangor had become used to being the tallest in any given room by a large margin.

He appraises the others in the room, keeping his face carefully neutral. The Minotaur gave off the earthy smell of animal, fur, and the faint of old blood. The scars that were visible told of a rough past and the complete lack of words marked him down as angry. The broadsword and chainmail showed signs of use in battle. The Warforged looked somewhat weedy, if that was possible for a creature made entirely of metal. There was something about all Warforged that made Brangor slightly uncomfortable, perhaps just down to their artificial natures. Whereas the others had various organic scents to them, the Warforged smelled like all of its kind, of metal, lubricants, and the tang of magic. The Eladrin was smaller than Brangor by a significant degree, no surprise there. It was difficult to get a read on him, however. It was as if his very nature was in constant flux. The Bugbear was another tall creature, but one that looked as though he had lived a more...expensive life. If the clothes weren't an immediate giveaway, the slight swagger in his step certainly did. Lastly, his gaze falls on the Tiefling. Reverence, he had called himself when Brangor had introduced himself. Clearly a false name, but then again, who didn't use one in this line of work. The stench of brimstone hung faintly in the air around the man, again not really a surprise. There was a fire to him, though, and Brangor wasn't entirely sure how physical that fire might become.

Brangor smiles as each, eventually, and selects one of the sturdier looking chairs in the room for himself before taking a seat at the table. He drinks deeply and sighs. "Well then, whatever job House Tarkanan has for us must be a big one. Don't think I've ever seen this many well armed people in one room that was still standing."

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Jasirak, "the Extractor," Eladrin Mage and Ciar the Fey Panther.

Wearing a heavy fur coat, a fancy hat, and studding your fingers with gold rings would normally be a death wish in the Lower City. Someone dressed that garishly would likely be stripped bare the second they stepped in front of an alley. Their best bet of surviving more than a few minutes would be the hope that the local hoods are too busy fighting one another over who gets the easy score to actually go through with the mugging.

The ridiculous looking man who just entered the bar had another thing keeping him safe as he pushed open the doors to the Mean Ogre Alehouse. That's that few are willing to tangle with a guy walking with a runed staff, no matter how stupidly he's dressed. That, and the two hundred pound, long-eared, giant purple cat following him.

After a brief interchange with the doorman the over-dressed man with elven features scans around the room, despite it being empty, before noting the single occupied table. He smiles and ambles over, his heeled boots jingling. His lavender shadow paws heavily after him, causally knocking against furniture as it does so.

The newcomer pulls two chairs away from the bar and slides them up to the large, central table between a snappily bugbear and a goliath. "Hello folks, name's Jasirak," he says with a flourish of his ringed hands, "I'm a wizard." He then carefully seats himself down in one chair while his monstrous companion climbs haphazardly over the other grunting as it forces its weight up and over the back. The man who introduced himself as Jasirak waits and smiles patiently as the giant cat finally positions itself upright in the neighboring chair, its furry bulk hanging over either side of the seat. I

"And this is my longtime friend and confidant Ciar (KEE-ir), say hello Ciar." In response the big cat opens its massive jaws and lets out a quick hiss. Jasirak laughs, "See, we're making friends already!"

---

Brangor posted:

"Well then, whatever job House Tarkanan has for us must be a big one. Don't think I've ever seen this many well armed people in one room that was still standing."

"Hey, you never know, friend," Jasirak says, snickering, "maybe we're just waiting for the big guys to show up."

Jasirak eyed each of his fellows at the table. Minotaur, warforged, goliath, bugbear... there's a lotta muscle on this job. Though the warforged looks like he's more a utility model than the typical infantry types you usually run into. He looks over to the tiefling, the only one at the table close to his height, and chuckles "Hey, looks like us leetle folk gotta out for each other," he winks and does his best impersonation of a halfling accent with 'leetle folk,' "what does our employer got a thing against gnomes or somethin'?"

Necroskowitz fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 21, 2015

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

He carried his gouge over one shoulder. It was the perfect weapon really, heavy, dependable. The guard couldn't give you two looks either, just a man carrying a shovel, nothing to see. There was a slight clink of scale armor as he walked, but he was wearing a nice suit overtop his armor. He was already so big, the bulky look didn't seem so off and besides, it wasn't polite to just strut around with all your armor on display. People might think you were looking for trouble.

The Bugbear realized he had found trouble when he came to the empty tavern. He wondered what kind of job they were being gathered for. Security was a vague and rather loose word... Perhaps this was some proactive security.

As he settled himself down into a chair he look around at the assemblage, "So you're the boys eh? The name's Bugsby, Bugsby Sgal. Any of you stiffs know what we're in for here?"

He leaned back in his seat, resting his weapon against the table and pulling out a cigar at the same time. After all, you never knew when it might be your last chance, and this was a really good cigar...
--------
Jasirak, "The Extractor." A cat person, which is fine by me. Of course dressing like a dock pimp could be a bit of a hindrance if the job calls for subtlety, but that would sort itself out. A fancy staff too, one of those wizard types. Useful to have around... But perhaps a bit too presumptuous, even for an elf.

Brangor "The Tree." Goliath, a big boy. Tough as nails from the look of it, looks like he could hold his own in a scrap. Definitely a good person to have on your side in a street brawl, that's for sure. Hopefully it wouldn't come to that though.

Martello "Marty." Warforged. Creeps me the hell out, and hasn't said a word since I got here. Hard to trust a warforged, given what happened to my last place. Still, he might be useful for the job... Whatever that happens to be.

Hargoth "Ironguts." Another quiet type, a minotaur. Not a common sight really. They say it's always the quiet ones. If so, then people have been talking about this new crew quite a lot, because no one has much to say so far.

Leucis "Reverence." Spell-swinger type, and the mandatory tiefling. Can't have an assemblage of scum without one, union rules. Big on the fire and the flames, but perhaps too flashy for his own good. I certainly expect I'll be pulling him out of a fire before this is over - I can only hope it isn't one he himself starts.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Martello "The Tower"

I'm giving him a nickname/alias because literally everyone else has one, and if we're going to Ocean's 11 whatever it is we're doing then a cool alias is mandatory

Martello is seated around the table as others introduce themselves. He wasn't much for taverns. The furniture usually didn't hold his weight, but their unseen host had clearly made accommodations ahead of time. The barman approaches, clearly unsure whether or not warforged actually drink anything. They usually don't, but Martello nods anyway. He takes a drink of the swill, for once glad that he doesn't have the ability to taste yet. Alcohol does nothing for him, but if he's learned one thing it's that fitting in is important. He takes a look around and tries to get a handle on the other members of the team.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most noticeable is The Tree, if only for sheer size. There are many paths to power, but the path of Nature is the one Martello understands the least. He respects its capability, though he is unsure of its limits.

Ironguts is the kind of man Martello is comfortable with. Having spent years around soldiers, Martello can recognize one of their number. Regardless of origin, its more a mindset than a history.

Bugsy Is certainly a bit more confusing. Muscle and sinew are straightforward enough, but the finery is at odds with the rest of the picture. Further observation of this one is required.

Reverence is certainly going to be fun. Martello is more familiar with the arcane arts than most of his kind, and certainly more at ease with it. The power of fire runs strong with this one. Fire was the first thing Martello knew, and he is comfortable with the flames.

The Extractor seems to be steeped in broader mysteries. Those with such garish trappings are either newcomers pretending at power they don't have, or the supremely competent. Given the company he's currently in, the latter is more likely.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

:frogsiren: Thread is up!!!!!!!!!!! :frogsiren:

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
So since it looks like we're about to ship out to where things happen, I'm going to put together a concise-ish list of the random party benefits/buffs that come packed into artificers when I get home. I'll do my best to keep track in my posts of who has what buffs and when.

e: Okay, home now. Here's what I can do to poo poo

Arcane Empowerment: 1/day and an additional 1/milestone, I can empower one weapon or implement. The wielder of that item can use that empowerment to get +2 on a single attack roll with that item as a free action AFTER making the attack roll. It's up to Frajaq whether or not you know the results of the roll before whether or not choosing to use the bonus, though. Apparently monster defenses will not be hidden, so this part is irrelevant.

Arcane Rejuvenation: Whenever one of my allies uses a DAILY power of a magic item, they gain 7 temp HP (Half level + int mod)

Healing Infusion: This is my leader healing feature, and it's a little wonky. I start each day with 2 Healing Infusion charges. In combat, I can spend these to use one of two abilities. The first heals an ally for surge value + my Wis mod (1). The second gives an ally a +1 power bonus to AC. The ally can end this boost as a free action to gain temp HP equal to your surge value + my con mod (4). I'm con based, so we likely get much better utility out of the second one. During any short rest, me or any of my allies can restore one of my Healing Infusion charges. We're going to want to keep these topped off most likely.

That's about it as far as the tricky stuff goes. A lot of my powers are based around giving buffs to people within certain distances of me, but I'm speed 6 and ranged so I should be able to get next to whoever would most benefit from those buffs. I'll state in my posts who's got the effects of what buffs and when to help keep track.

Winged Orpheus fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 24, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Also I just learned this cool orokos function. If you put the name of the game under Adventuring Company in the character sheet the orokos roll interface will automatically put the name there! A little thing that saves time, thanks to Ryuujin for telling me about it.

So if you want to save time, edit your sheet on the 4e char gen builder and add Down and Out to it!

frajaq fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 24, 2015

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Ciar's Current Stats - Level 5

Trained Fey Panther - Fey Beast Companion
Medium fey beast
HP: 23 Initiative 6
AC 18, Fortitude 18, Reflex 20, Will 19 / Perception 5
Speed 8, climb 6
Low-light vision

Traits
Alert Companion / Aura 1
While in the aura, enemies cannot gain combat advantage against the fey panther’s allies.

Standard actions
Claw / At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +10 vs. AC
Hit: 1d8 + 2, and the target grants combat advantage to you until the end of your next turn.

Str 15 Dex 20 Wis 13
Con 15 Int 2 Cha 6

Necroskowitz fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 23, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Just looked at CapitalistPig's Warlord sheet and he has Expert Combat Leader, so everyone nearby gets +3 Initiative.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Sorry for the delay. I've been out of town for a week and I'm on my phone. I'm travelling back now and will have my action up later tonight.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
(sorry about the messy combat block I can't get it to line up right and I'm exhausted.)

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Oh yeah CapitalistPig, a cool thing you can do in this game is trade your standard action for a move action, so even with the penalty you could move 3 more squares!

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

frajaq posted:

Oh yeah CapitalistPig, a cool thing you can do in this game is trade your standard action for a move action, so even with the penalty you could move 3 more squares!

I noticed it might look odd so I provided more explanation

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Well, we've got split adversaries. Any preference on which I go tangle with first?

Also: do the things on the ground block movement?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Olanphonia posted:

Also: do the things on the ground block movement?

They do not. The dual gears thingies (at G3-H3 / K3-L3 for example) can give cover.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Do they actually need killed? While I'm all for wanton destruction, we're not getting paid per body. I'm also not super keen on leaving the barrels in the middle of the warehouse with all these miscreants about. Loading up and shipping out pronto may be our most prudent course of action.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
Actually, I changed my mind. I think this huntress is entirely too confident. Bugsby is going to Educate Her.

ProfessorCurly fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 28, 2015

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Olanphonia, just a heads up that the +1 AC bonus I gave you during the first round is still active. That doesn't go away until you choose to end it and gain your surge value + 4 temp HP.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Winged Orpheus posted:

Olanphonia, just a heads up that the +1 AC bonus I gave you during the first round is still active. That doesn't go away until you choose to end it and gain your surge value + 4 temp HP.

Cheers, I'll edit my sheet

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Also on a quick note, the bonus damage from Magic Weapon and Punishing Eye DO stack. Also Punishing Eye lasts for the rest of the encounter, and I can move it 3 squares as a move action.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Talked to Frajaq, he's cool with me using my flask of alchemist's frost to put out on of the fires as a minor action. Unless one of you has some good way of hitting a barrel with some cold damage without exploding it, I'm cool with dedicating my turn to protecting our payday.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Olanphonia, Brangor was damaged and dazed by juggie last turn

frajaq posted:

Shield Bash vs Fort, Brangor: 1d20+8 25 1d10+4 11 -5 = 6

Brangor receives 6 Damage and is Dazed until Juggernaut's EONT.

e: granted it was in the previous page and I should have posted the Conditions in the initiative roster but oh well

frajaq fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 1, 2015

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

frajaq posted:

Olanphonia, Brangor was damaged and dazed by juggie last turn

e: granted it was in the previous page and I should have posted the Conditions in the initiative roster but oh well

Oh poo poo right. I'll get it edited later on.

Edit: just going to take the minor action and the free action to mark.

Olanphonia fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 1, 2015

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Is standing up a standard or a move action? I thought it was a move, which would mean CPig doesn't have to use an action point to goring charge.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Winged Orpheus posted:

Is standing up a standard or a move action? I thought it was a move, which would mean CPig doesn't have to use an action point to goring charge.

standard action, looked it up

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Compendium lists it as a move action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Winged Orpheus posted:

Compendium lists it as a move action.

I was not reading it correctly, you are absolutely correct!

• Locked thread