Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
thanks 4 all the memories. and the good reads in the office or on the commode. or whatever else place you like to read !!

http://hypercritical.co/2015/04/15/os-x-reviewed

quote:

Nearly 15 years ago, I wrote my first review of Mac OS X for a nascent “PC enthusiast’s" website called Ars Technica. Nearly 15 years later, I wrote my last. Though Apple will presumably announce the next major version of OS X at WWDC this coming June, I won’t be reviewing it for Ars Technica or any other publication, including the website you’re reading now.

I’m content to have reviewed 10.0 through 10.10. Someone else can pick up the baton for the next 15 years.

who is ur favroite to pick up the torch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i think gruber is my fuckin frontrunner

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
john c. "the hammer" dvorak

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
nobody can replace john siracusa and his hundred thousand word reviews

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

get red letter media to do a 2 hour review, creepy serial killer subplot & all

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Jonny 290 posted:

john c. "the hammer" dvorak

lmao

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
im literally devestated by this news i mean yeah i kind of zoned out for the bit int he middle where he's droning on about the way osx manages memory or something but the stuff about icons and widgets was always fun

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i am unironically sad about this. i really liked how his reviews would cover everything from the visual design and application level stuff all the way down into the developer tools and system level changes.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

actually the droning on about memory management and all that nerd poo poo was awesome :colbert:

but yeah i kinda want to send him a thank you card or something :(

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

graph posted:

thanks 4 all the memories. and the good reads in the office or on the commode. or whatever else place you like to read !!

http://hypercritical.co/2015/04/15/os-x-reviewed

omg nooooo

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of apple's ui changes over the years were a result of him spending 12 paragraphs to say "lol" at some of their sillier designs and inconsistencies

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

but yeah i kinda want to send him a thank you card or something :(

your pageviews are all the thanks he needs or wants.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

rip

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

rip in peace, killed by iwatch terribleness

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
that's really sad, his attention to detail and rigor made for fantastic reads

i remember on hypercritical he mentioned he dictated the bulk of each review, which is just crazy

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

he dictated them to his secretary, whom he kept in a dog kennel

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
he was the guy that did those way-too-long reviews of osx? they always struck me as wildly unnecessary

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

As a Millennial I posted:

your pageviews are all the thanks he needs or wants.

but maybe if we all send him thank-you notes about how we're literally crying as we write, he'll reconsider :qq:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yeah rip

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

thank you for the flimsy excuse to trot this out again

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

graph posted:

i think gruber is my fuckin frontrunner

lmao yeah right

quote:

Imagine:

You’re 16. You’re in school. You’re sitting in class. You have a crush on another student — you’ve fallen hard. You can’t stop thinking about them. You suspect the feelings are mutual — but you don’t know. You’re afraid to just come right out and ask, verbally — afraid of the crushing weight of rejection. But you both wear an Apple Watch. So you take a flyer and send a few taps. And you wait. Nothing in response. Dammit. Why are you so stupid? Whoa — a few taps are sent in return, along with a hand-drawn smiley face. You send more taps. You receive more taps back. This is it. You send your heartbeat. It is racing, thumping. Your crush sends their heartbeat back.

You’re flirting. Not through words. Not through speech. Physically flirting, by touch. And you’re not even in the same classroom. Maybe you don’t even go to the same school.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Tiny Bug Child posted:

he was the guy that did those way-too-long reviews of osx? they always struck me as wildly unnecessary

oo check out the windows and anroid user's cool opinion

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

graph posted:

oo check out the windows and anroid user's cool opinion

and php. don't forget php

php

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

does gruber actually know how anything at all works? i wasn't aware he was even a programmer tbqh

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

does gruber actually know how anything at all works? i wasn't aware he was even a programmer tbqh

he came up with markdown and is the ideas guy on an overdesigned notepad app

that's about it

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
gruber is terrible and would just lose his jizz over every release if he wrote these reviews

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
he was great in die hard

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mr. Glass posted:

gruber is terrible and would just lose his jizz over every release if he wrote these reviews

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Siracusa knew his technical stuff but also knew how to generalize it enough to make it interesting to luddites. I'd like to see Mike Ash review OS X but from his Q & A blog posts, his writing is way too technical for a general audience that Ars shoots for.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of apple's ui changes over the years were a result of him spending 12 paragraphs to say "lol" at some of their sillier designs and inconsistencies

I remember when Peter Bright tried to point out poo poo like this between IE and Explorer on the Windows side and was blasted in the comments

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

carry on then posted:

he came up with markdown and is the ideas guy on an overdesigned notepad app

that's about it

it was p funny when he threw an enormous hissy fit cause fatwood tried to create some kind of standard for markdown

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Hed posted:

I remember when Peter Bright tried to point out poo poo like this between IE and Explorer on the Windows side and was blasted in the comments

thats because peterb is a loving weirdo and a terrible representative from ars to the rest of the world. jesus christ put that dude back in the cabinet full of ugly, weird children

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
is peter bright the cumeater

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yep. weetabix

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

yep. weetabix

weetabix cummies lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

wolffenstein posted:

Siracusa knew his technical stuff but also knew how to generalize it enough to make it interesting to luddites. I'd like to see Mike Ash review OS X but from his Q & A blog posts, his writing is way too technical for a general audience that Ars shoots for.

hahah nice opinion wolffenstein

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

wolffenstein posted:

yeah that's what i really like about his writing style, each section of the review was written with the technical depth it required. if you wanted a high level overview of the new APIs you could get it, but if you didn't care you could just skip those pages and still enjoy the shiny pixels and features. and he nerded out about things but restrained himself from full-on fanboy-mode

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
now who will take up the torch of how garbage hfs+ is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

graph posted:

our very own smythe

instead of a deep dive into changes in memory allocation in the new osx ars would feature pages and pages of his battles against mecha-sundar and cucking nerds with his crooked little jew penis

• Locked thread