Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Wildstar cancelled their Christmas event. They recently announced that they are planning to have their first holiday event.... it's going to be Halloween, in October. Will the game survive that long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
They also promised monthly 'drops' (their name for content patches), claiming to have 16 planned out in advance. They abandoned that before I believe the 2nd one. They've released 4 so far in 9 months.

Featuring exciting new stuff such as:

- A new daily zone!
- poo poo someone write something to pad this list errr a new daily zone! poo poo we've already said tha-
- ?

I'm not entirely sure this game wasn't just a scam to begin with.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
don't forget that some carbine dudes were present at blizzcon badge pickup to promote a tour of carbine studios with goody bags from a literal dollar store

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Thanks for reminding me that all their patch and promotional events were scheduled to directly compete against WoW's patching/expansion schedule. They honestly thought they could compete.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

sword_man.gif posted:

don't forget that some carbine dudes were present at blizzcon badge pickup to promote a tour of carbine studios with goody bags from a literal dollar store

And they showed up in a creepy van no less from what I recall from one poster.

Because nothing says that you're good trustworthy people like showing up at a game convention and saying "Hop into my van and i'll give you free goodies and a tour of my studio!".

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I remember their dumb "Come tour our MUCH COOLER office!" campaign, but never that they gave out grab bags from the dollar store. How cheap!

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Thanks for reminding me that all their patch and promotional events were scheduled to directly compete against WoW's patching/expansion schedule. They honestly thought they could compete.

no, totally a coincidence that we did that every single time. completely. we assure you.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

i am tim! posted:

I remember their dumb "Come tour our MUCH COOLER office!" campaign, but never that they gave out grab bags from the dollar store. How cheap!

there was a picture on their facebook and they couldn't even be bothered to put like wildstar stickers on the bags, just the plain-rear end bags that are like ten for a buck

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

sword_man.gif posted:

there was a picture on their facebook and they couldn't even be bothered to put like wildstar stickers on the bags, just the plain-rear end bags that are like ten for a buck

this makes me legitimately happy

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

sword_man.gif posted:

Don't forget that the people they actually got to tour their offices were forced to sign an NDA. I know one of the guys who went and he legitimately WILL NOT talk about it. He knows I can't keep my fat mouth shut. :smith:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I find it hard to believe that any company could be so amateurish and at the same time so utterly convinced of its superiority and correctness.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bombogenesis posted:

Don't forget that the people they actually got to tour their offices were forced to sign an NDA. I know one of the guys who went and he legitimately WILL NOT talk about it. He knows I can't keep my fat mouth shut. :smith:

I don't blame him, the lawsuit would get them more money than Wildstar subs at this point.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I really liked the theme song from those green guys though I can't remember what they were called to find it again so maybe it was just the best thing of a bad game.

I can't believe I played this for two months. I should have stopped when I heard how obnoxious the level up thing was.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Apparently they just fixed the bug in Crimelords where you'd lose the adventure if you went into combat before Braugh while rescuing him. I got a laugh out of that.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I hope the composer gets more work, at least. Of all the things wrong with Wildstar, the soundtrack wasn't one of them.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Dr Snofeld posted:

I hope the composer gets more work, at least. Of all the things wrong with Wildstar, the soundtrack wasn't one of them.

Sadly I liked a lot of individual things about Wildstar, unfortunately the game as a whole had too many bugs and poo poo decisions dragging it down.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
There were lots of individual things about Wildstar that you could like. That's where most of the hype came from. It was just that most of it was hamstrung by lovely decisions that prevented you from enjoying them.

Cool, we developed a new IP. We're calling it Wildstar. One of the character types is a Spellslinger. We're doing this whole "wild west frontier with space magic" thing. Except we aren't really doing that. Have fun leveling in your generic medieval countryside zone, followed by generic ice area zone, followed by generic forest area zone....

Hey, Engineers run off a resource called "volatility." Sounds great, right? You need to balance it, keep it up without getting TOO high, right? Except that aspect of the class doesn't really come into play until WAY into the leveling curve. And several key abilities are part of this dumb Ability-as-loot-drop AMP system. We give you a choice of three AMPs as a quest reward very early in the game. One of them is the AMP that literally every type of build suggests you have. Hope you picked right, cupcake!

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Sankis posted:

I really liked the theme song from those green guys though I can't remember what they were called to find it again so maybe it was just the best thing of a bad game.

Wiildstar's music was excellent. I rarely play games with the music on, but I definitely kept it on for Wildstar. I also thought the game's art style was quite good, even if it was heavily derived from Pixar.

Wildstar got a lot of little things right. If it the game had actually had competent management/design it could have turned out pretty well. I think that is a big part of why it gets so much well deserved hate.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
that the writing kept wanting to change between some kind of grimdark serious space fantasy and lmao aren't we just whacky as gently caress internet culture ahoy was incredibly jarring as well

the chua are one of the more egregious recent examples of really just loving horrendous everything

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I played the Wildstar beta. It ran like a shitshow and was not fun. I never played Wildstar again. Well, that's my story, thanks for listening.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Telling people you got a friends and family invite to the beta was a sackable offence for the person at carbine who gave you the key. Even beta codes are hardcore in wildstar

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Byolante posted:

Telling people you got a friends and family invite to the beta was a sackable offence for the person at carbine who gave you the key. Even beta codes are hardcore in wildstar

sure did a lot of good.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Byolante posted:

jesus christ

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

My Wildstar story is that I played like an hour of open beta, decided that the game is all right but UI is an unusable placeholder that will surely get fixed on release.

No, it wasn't a placeholder. The problem was, as it turned out, that I am too stupid to use it properly.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i played this game and max leveled a dude. then i quit because after max level it was an unfun attunement grind or cheater filled pvp. meanwhile, goons were chanting this games praises up until the child grooming thing. :pedo:

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
I played a few characters to lvl ~30. It was fun. That was my wildstar story thanks for reading.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Maybe a wow clone works better if you don't clone wow from the burning crusade era.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Blazing Zero posted:

i played this game and max leveled a dude. then i quit because after max level it was an unfun attunement grind or cheater filled pvp. meanwhile, goons were chanting this games praises up until the child grooming thing. :pedo:

the child grooming thing was archeage, not wildstar

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Thank you for returning Wildstar thread! Glad to see the game is just as bad as before. I tried it again a couple months ago when they started the 10 day trial deal, and man it still feels super...I want to say unpolished, but thats not quite right. It would be an amazing game if it had come out before Lich King, it just feels super dated, and not in a fun way.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

sword_man.gif posted:

the child grooming thing was archeage, not wildstar

was it? it all just blends together

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

dominoeffect posted:

sure did a lot of good.

He doesn't work for Carbine anymore, he works for CIG (lol)

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Just started a free trial of this. Pretty fun so far. When does it get not fun?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rough Lobster posted:

I'm sorry

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rough Lobster posted:

Wilderrun. If you can find a decent group, you can probably have an OK time with it now with all that's changed.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Iron Tusk posted:

Wilderrun. If you can find a decent group, you can probably have an OK time with it now with all that's changed.

Christ, I blocked out wilderrun from my memory. Farside is really well done at parts, and I didn't mind Malgrave, but gently caress Wilderrun.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Do they still have that stupid randomized click-only on-screen keyboard for entering your 2FA code on *every* login? Even after I proved it could be trivially defeated with less than 6 hours of effort?

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Iron Tusk posted:

Counterpoint: Whitevale

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Deki posted:

Christ, I blocked out wilderrun from my memory. Farside is really well done at parts, and I didn't mind Malgrave, but gently caress Wilderrun.

Whitevale too.

Farside is still the best leveling zone out of all of them.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

biznatchio posted:

Do they still have that stupid randomized click-only on-screen keyboard for entering your 2FA code on *every* login? Even after I proved it could be trivially defeated with less than 6 hours of effort?

No there's a remember this up for 7 days option now. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Carecat posted:

Maybe a wow clone works better if you don't clone wow from the burning crusade era.

I think you may be underestimating how far back Carbine pulls nostalgia from. Wildstar is built on Nostalgia for Vanilla WoW and Planes of Power era Everquest.

• Locked thread