Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Omnicrom posted:

I think you may be underestimating how far back Carbine pulls nostalgia from. Wildstar is built on Nostalgia for Vanilla WoW and Planes of Power era Everquest.

Which is especially lollers because vanilla Warcraft was an almost-violent reaction and rebuttal of many of PoP & Luclin's design philosophies.

Also as far as UI stuff goes, it's funny: a lot of people figured out that, really, with the firing arc system, the game really wanted to be played like a mouse-aim action RPG. At one point during the closed beta phases, one of their UI guys added some rudimentary hooks to the UI code to allow this to happen... and then it never got developed properly. That's one of the things that really disappointed me - they almost had something properly unique and interesting, because if mouse-aim was the default UI state the game would have at least felt a bit unique, but they couldn't be assed to expand it out when the idea came up and instead you had to rely on a bunch of janky UI mods to try and capture the idea.

I'm weird, but that's part of what killed Wildstar for me. They dangled a kinda neat way to play this sort of game in front of me... and then it turns out the string wasn't attached to anything. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Worst part about the mouse aim is that even Tera had that as a base feature instead of saying "Eh, the modders will figure something out for that, let's go take a big runny dump on the people who still enjoy our game"

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Isn't taking a runny dump on the players the design philosophy of a hardcore raiding mmo?

I like that these exist because I like hardcore PvP MMOs and this/mobas actually manage to be worse

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Eonwe posted:

Isn't taking a runny dump on the players the design philosophy of a hardcore raiding mmo?

In the modern sense? Not really. As much as its detractors may hate the idea, the best hardcore raiding MMO these days is probably still WoW, and that is a very accessible game.

Taking a dump on players is just an antiquated MMO design philosophy. It really has nothing do with being hardcore or whatever other self aggrandizing labels various player bases like to apply to themselves. It is all about a design concept that was only good at the time because no one knew any better.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Carecat posted:

Maybe a wow clone works better if you don't clone wow from the burning crusade era.
Remember that Carbine is full of ex-Blizzard employees, and then figure out why they are ex-employees.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Itzena posted:

Remember that Carbine is full of ex-Blizzard employees, and then figure out why they are ex-employees.

blizzard wasn't hardcore enough for them

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

My advice: If you are going to get together with your design team and start talking about making an mmo which can be described as "It's like WoW except..." then just quit right there. Do not write one line of code or spend another dollar. Go back to the drawing board.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dominoeffect posted:

1: what if we made this game so hardcore that if one of you refers a player and he talks about it then you get fired

2: good poo poo dude, that wraps up the planning phase

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Has no one really ever seen a Warplot? Still?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

sword_man.gif posted:

that the writing kept wanting to change between some kind of grimdark serious space fantasy and lmao aren't we just whacky as gently caress internet culture ahoy was incredibly jarring as well

the chua are one of the more egregious recent examples of really just loving horrendous everything

oh yeah i totally forgot about the hilarious disconnect between the writing. There was something they did early on on the bad guy side with comic books that I thought was really cool. I think you collected them and they had lore in them? I actually liked that. It was referential and silly without being CUPCAKE NOM NOM NOM CUPCAKE CUPCAKE like the rest of the game was.

The taxi dialogue made me want to smash my monitor. There was a beta era mod that disabled their dialogue but it stopped being updated before the game launch. I should have realized something was wrong when most of the mods weren't updated for launch.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 19, 2015

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Eonwe posted:

1: what if we made this game so hardcore that if one of you refers a player and he talks about it then you get fired

2: good poo poo dude, that wraps up the planning phase

Thats the relevant section from the email I got my fnf key in. Its pretty hilarious.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Sankis posted:

oh yeah i totally forgot about the hilarious disconnect between the writing. There was something they did early on on the bad guy side with comic books that I thought was really cool. I think you collected them and they had lore in them? I actually liked that. It was referential and silly without being CUPCAKE NOM NOM NOM CUPCAKE CUPCAKE like the rest of the game was.

The taxi dialogue made me want to smash my monitor. There was a beta era mod that disabled their dialogue but it stopped being updated before the game launch. I should have realized something was wrong when most of the mods weren't updated for launch.

There was a bug that made taxi driver dialogue play for anyone in the zone you were flying over for awhile in beta too.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Byolante posted:

Thats the relevant section from the email I got my fnf key in. Its pretty hilarious.

It seems like they're such an elitist company with an elitist mentality. No wonder they hosed their game.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Byolante posted:

How do they expect me to take their product seriously when they don't take themselves seriously? Is it too much to ask for a little professionalism? That was the worst thing about wildstar's promotion/image was the complete lack of professionalism. That kind of colloquialism in this context just bothers me.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Blazing Zero posted:

i played this game and max leveled a dude. then i quit because after max level it was an unfun attunement grind or cheater filled pvp. meanwhile, goons were chanting this games praises up until the child grooming thing. :pedo:

sword_man.gif posted:

the child grooming thing was archeage, not wildstar

Talk about it anyway, I bet it's horrible.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

dominoeffect posted:

You joke, but watching them in action and some reading between the lines heavily suggests they managed to Dunning-Kruger themselves off the team about the same time Mark Kern did, and they were probably part of those odd layoff/employee-quitting waves Blizzard suffered during the tenure of Vanilla Warcraft, which always struck people as odd due to the game's explosive growth; while the art "layoffs" do seem to have been people suffering hideous burnout, as time has gone on it's become clear that during Vanilla's content cycle there were some pretty sharp differences of opinion on the Vanilla team about what kind of direction the game should go in, with Wildstar and Firefall representing the directions Jeremy Gaffney and Mark Kern, and their respective partisans, wanted to take Warcraft in. Vanilla's content cycle was curiously focus-less, and while it wasn't particularly longer than many other content cycles, it definitely lacked the unifying themes of any of the expansions (especially post-BWL), and I wouldn't be surprised if this is part of the reason.

:goonsay:, basically

but no, "blizzard wasn't hardcore enough for them" is probably actual fact

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Blazing Zero posted:

was it? it all just blends together

The people who backed said pedo were at the helm of the Wildstar goon guild. One was a whiny 16 year old and the other one knew how to run some offsite forums and god drat gently caress you if you didn't want to use them because that poo poo is HARD loving WORK.

Basically it was doomed to fail just like almost every Something Awful MMO venture.

Except for Space Jam. Cool people hung out there but I'm sure it had its share of anime pedos too.

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias

Givin posted:

The people who backed said pedo were at the helm of the Wildstar goon guild. One was a whiny 16 year old and the other one knew how to run some offsite forums and god drat gently caress you if you didn't want to use them because that poo poo is HARD loving WORK.

Basically it was doomed to fail just like almost every Something Awful MMO venture.

Except for Space Jam. Cool people hung out there but I'm sure it had its share of anime pedos too.

And to think I gave space jam their own little forum on my website I WORKED VERY HARD ON. This is how you repay me? DISPARAGING ME IN THIS WAY??

The people who backed said pedo got removed from the guild and then quit the internet out of shame. Anyway I came to post about wildstar and now I'm talking about wildstar so mission accomplished.

wtfmoses
Dec 21, 2004

Get serias
Woah wait I think the pedo thing happened in archeage. God it's all a blur now

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Mizuti posted:

My face when I was reminded that Wildstar still exists.

if you take out the horrible looking furry in the first image and just focus on the weird potato slug thing, it looks like it could be a pretty cool cutesy adventure game :3:

...on like the n64

also hi wildstar thread

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

wtfmoses posted:

Woah wait I think the pedo thing happened in archeage. God it's all a blur now

Can't it be both?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Someday goons will realize that no, you don't need an offsite with authentication until the game is established and the goon guild in it becomes actually large, and even then still probably not. Not that it did anything meaningful to the wildstar experience that wildstar itself didn't inflict on us.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bauxite posted:

Someday goons will realize that no, you don't need an offsite with authentication until the game is established and the goon guild in it becomes actually large, and even then still probably not. Not that it did anything meaningful to the wildstar experience that wildstar itself didn't inflict on us.

I think the logic is this; first goon to make a site is the official goon guild. That is the only reason kt seems.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bauxite posted:

But what about the spies?

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Some poor fool got a wildstar Tattoo.

http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/30bvxu/my_husbands_brand_new_tattoo_mondo_zax_would_be/

I have no idea what it is, since I don't play the game, but I'm sure it's stupid.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

"Whats this tattoo about? Well you see there was this video game that was just too good for this world"

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The Wildstar thread! You were missed, old friend.

EDIT: I love that in this thread (https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/124755-wildstar-retails-dissappearing/) there are people saying poo poo like "as soon as ESO went B2P I quit." Are they full of poo poo or do people actually do this? If you're enjoying the game why would the payment model matter?

EDITEDIT: And I just saw the Olivar post in that thread. He even broke character in it. It's like Christmas.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 19, 2015

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Valatar posted:

No, what I discovered next is what takes this into the EXTREME zone that everyone knows and loves about Wildstar. So hey cupcakes, we heard you like lockboxes in your lovely cash shop MMOs! So we're making box copies of our game into $40 lockboxes with a random prize item in each one! Buy enough boxes to get all three items and you get a special title, so quickly run down to your local Best Buy and clear the shelves before someone else does! I can only hope that the special title is "Cash Cow".

It gets better. Players are really mad about the big cat mount breaking their immersion

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

So is this really going f2p or are they just trolling their idiot userbase to buy more useless copies of their poo poo game?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Nobody knows because Carbine has said nothing in response.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Verranicus posted:

EDIT: I love that in this thread (https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/124755-wildstar-retails-dissappearing/) there are people saying poo poo like "as soon as ESO went B2P I quit." Are they full of poo poo or do people actually do this? If you're enjoying the game why would the payment model matter?

EDITEDIT: And I just saw the Olivar post in that thread. He even broke character in it. It's like Christmas.

you cant have filthy poors playing with you

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
"Freeloaders do nothing for P2P players beside clogging the server for the short time they try the game" - A thing a Wildstar player said as his game was dying around him.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Verranicus posted:

As soon as ESO started seriously aiming for F2P it got like twenty times better, I can't believe that anyone would choose wildstar over ESO right now.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Not surprising that a game that literally insulted its players for dieing to its impossible content is going down. I'm just surprised it took this long.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

The Moon Monster posted:

Not surprising that a game that literally insulted its players for dieing to its impossible content is going down. I'm just surprised it took this long.

Hardcore mmos cannot fail, they can only be failed

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

LOL.

Man, I liked the art direction and the combat in this game when I tried the beta but the questing itself was dull as dirt and the endgame sounded loving miserable.

I'm surprised this game hasn't gone F2P/got shut down already, but I'm with the "will play when it goes F2P to drink pubbie tears" crowd.

EDIT: I still think I'd rather play WS than ESO. Managed to play WS for something like 15 hours before it started to annoy me, ESO didn't last more than 4!

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 19, 2015

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

FrostyPox posted:

LOL.

Man, I liked the art direction and the combat in this game when I tried the beta but the questing itself was dull as dirt and the endgame sounded loving miserable.

I'm surprised this game hasn't gone F2P/got shut down already, but I'm with the "will play when it goes F2P to drink pubbie tears" crowd.

EDIT: I still think I'd rather play WS than ESO. Managed to play WS for something like 15 hours before it started to annoy me, ESO didn't last more than 4!

I was in the WS beta, loved the art style, but it was really poorly optimized for something that barely looked better than WoW. On top of that, like you said, the questing is horrendous. Whereas in any other MMO you'd be asked to get 8 boar butts, WS asked you to get 30. Add to that that fights generally take longer in WS because every enemy has telegraphs you need to dodge and it was just really, really awful.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

The WS devs didn't understand the importance of having leveling mobs not being assholes. Downtime from the AWESOME fights is actually a really important thing, just like the pacing in a good suspense novel has downtimes where the characters aren't in immediate danger of getting their assholes ripped open.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sankis posted:

oh yeah i totally forgot about the hilarious disconnect between the writing.

The not-Empire was especially funny about this. In the tutorial you execute entire rooms of civilians for simply having different opinions from the leadership, but it's just a whacky misunderstanding over the heat vents! Haha!

Now please feel sorry for the faction when we have rebels blow up one of our spies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Bauxite posted:

The WS devs didn't understand the importance of having leveling mobs not being assholes. Downtime from the AWESOME fights is actually a really important thing, just like the pacing in a good suspense novel has downtimes where the characters aren't in immediate danger of getting their assholes ripped open.

It's fun because this exact statement makes the supporters rage at the concept. Leveling content in MMOs for me involves watching netflix and sometimes saying fuckit to dodge mechanics or being 100% optimal at all times. Clearly I'm not hardcore enough for Wildstar's level 20 leveling content.

Welcome back thread :toot:

• Locked thread