Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Wildstar remains one of the funniest game releases I've ever seen, and it just keeps getting better. They actually used the word "Box Mystery" to describe it. Someone else has to remember that thread, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Capntastic posted:

HAhaha I didn't hear about this, is there more to it?

Aside from what everyone else has posted, it was the most mind-boggling bug I've ever seen in an MMO. It was clientside specific. GMs would log into that person's character on their own computers and see no problem, but if the original owner tried to log in on their computer, they would see all of their progression as being lost, and the server would register them as such.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Blazing Zero posted:

people never go to glass door to write positive anything hth

The course of development of Wildstar and the outright arrogance some of their staff has displayed (like the lead raid designer) makes me believe that the person is being completely truthful. Messes like Wildstar aren't accidents.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It was a game that was designed for, and specifically catered to, elitists with a massive sense of sneering entitlement and disdain for "casual players." The fact that it's imploding is cause for celebration. Good riddance to terrible game design.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rorus Raz posted:

It's worth noting that fellow train wreck MMO Warhammer Online tried the gritty, realistic style and that blew up in their faces since the game couldn't handle the massive PvP battles that Mythic hyped over and over.

It wasn't really "realistic style." If you take a look at the actual in-game models, appearances are still very stylized. What you're probably talking about is the color palette, which was washed-out and subdued, which gave it more of a "realistic" appearance. Either way, I suspect the major problem was just lovely coding that couldn't handle the massive numbers via animation/model culling, or which leaned too heavily on the CPU. They were stuck in development hell for quite a while, so I wouldn't be surprised to learn that their codebase was a mess.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

This is GREAT news for Wildstar, and Bitcoin.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

There is absolutely no way the company behind the actual development of this game will be able to create a F2P transition that isn't either woefully inadequate revenue-wise or ridiculously exploitative, Rift-style. "The game will feature an optional monthly membership that will provide bonuses to XP, crafting and item and currency rewards," is a gigantic loving red flag.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Byolante posted:

The word from my man in the know is that everyone at carbine is finding the nearest exit and moving to ANY other studio.

Fortunately, Carbine has hired two of the best people in the industry to deal with their current financial situation. Let's give them a warm welcome!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

If nothing else, EQ set the table for the other MMOs to follow. It was the first one of its kind that had fully 3D graphics, in a fully 3D environment, and it served as an example of what was possible (and profitable). It only looked unbeatable for a time because no one else was putting out much better, but not in the sense of the gulf that now exists between WoW and everything else.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

EQ did have some stiff competition from the likes of DAoC, Asheron's Call, and (eventually) FFXI, but it was an overall very evenly-matched market, at least in the West.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kessel posted:

That's because they're loving terrible. They were products of a company that had decided to shed the trinity but didn't actually know what to do without it.

It wasn't even that, really. The true fault was that they simply did not design a good action game. Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2 are both a blast to play with other people online, and they're entirely without a trinity. You can just play whatever the hell you want and you can still have a nice time. Guild Wars 2 is just really, really bad at actually being an action game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

orcane posted:

Not having tank-healer-DPS trinity doesn't make it an action game.

The design is pseudo-action combat through and through: dodge rolling to avoid major attacks, telegraphs with visually-queued windup attacks, a plethora of non-homing attacks that depend on direction/location/etc. If it wasn't designed to be an action game, then it's the weirdest loving turn-based game I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Video games are good, but they aren't fun.

• Locked thread