Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Gotta admit: if the game goes F2P or B2P I would definitely log in just to continue to watch the fall, in all its hilarity. The conversion is going to be a glory to watch, and this game's already provided hours of hilarity just watching it. :allears:

Though if NCSoft just axes the game, that'd be even more amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Omnicrom posted:

I think you may be underestimating how far back Carbine pulls nostalgia from. Wildstar is built on Nostalgia for Vanilla WoW and Planes of Power era Everquest.

Which is especially lollers because vanilla Warcraft was an almost-violent reaction and rebuttal of many of PoP & Luclin's design philosophies.

Also as far as UI stuff goes, it's funny: a lot of people figured out that, really, with the firing arc system, the game really wanted to be played like a mouse-aim action RPG. At one point during the closed beta phases, one of their UI guys added some rudimentary hooks to the UI code to allow this to happen... and then it never got developed properly. That's one of the things that really disappointed me - they almost had something properly unique and interesting, because if mouse-aim was the default UI state the game would have at least felt a bit unique, but they couldn't be assed to expand it out when the idea came up and instead you had to rely on a bunch of janky UI mods to try and capture the idea.

I'm weird, but that's part of what killed Wildstar for me. They dangled a kinda neat way to play this sort of game in front of me... and then it turns out the string wasn't attached to anything. :smith:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

dominoeffect posted:

blizzard wasn't hardcore enough for them

You joke, but watching them in action and some reading between the lines heavily suggests they managed to Dunning-Kruger themselves off the team about the same time Mark Kern did, and they were probably part of those odd layoff/employee-quitting waves Blizzard suffered during the tenure of Vanilla Warcraft, which always struck people as odd due to the game's explosive growth; while the art "layoffs" do seem to have been people suffering hideous burnout, as time has gone on it's become clear that during Vanilla's content cycle there were some pretty sharp differences of opinion on the Vanilla team about what kind of direction the game should go in, with Wildstar and Firefall representing the directions Jeremy Gaffney and Mark Kern, and their respective partisans, wanted to take Warcraft in. Vanilla's content cycle was curiously focus-less, and while it wasn't particularly longer than many other content cycles, it definitely lacked the unifying themes of any of the expansions (especially post-BWL), and I wouldn't be surprised if this is part of the reason.

:goonsay:, basically

but no, "blizzard wasn't hardcore enough for them" is probably actual fact

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Attunement chat:

wtfmoses posted:

The thing with that attunement is there were little "gently caress you" clauses to some of the steps. Like say the second step of getting 150 elder gems. I think if I recall correctly you were capped to how many elder gems you could get in a week at like 50/75 or something.

Even better, actually.

The cap? 140.

You needed 150 to buy the key and get started. You capped at 140. No matter what you did, you'd be 10 short that first week you hit 50.

The moment I saw they were being that petty about the raid attunement - literally dangling it in front of your face and dancing around you - was the moment I began to have some serious doubts about playing the game any further.

quote:

Let's say you want to do dungeons to get your gems... See how it says silver dungeons are required? If you got a silver dungeon prior to getting your key it didn't count. Same with any other steps. Every step had to be completed IN ORDER. About a month into the release out of everyone in goon squad who didn't immediately quit after the trial period... I think maybe 6 people were attuned with almost ZERO others even completing ONE of the silver dungeon requirements. I ended up transferring to finish my attunement because the server we rolled on was dead (THANKS DOUBLESTEP) and the world bosses thing finally killed it for me.

That was the really great thing that made it clear they hadn't understood why their former co-workers were setting up the Vanilla/Outland attunements in Warcraft the way they were (and why Molten Core had no attunement at all, initially, and the one that went in was more about server stress and wipe recovery!): they thought an attunement was meant to be a bragging point that you were able to "overcome" it. Even in Vanilla and Outland, the Warcraft attunements were meant to guide you to places where you could get appropriate gear for your level of progress through the game. Blizzard wasn't ever putting content in to be exclusionary - even the Vanilla raids were hilariously inclusive. Yes, Onyxia had that huge questline... but in retrospect, since she's on par with Ragnaros, the intent was for players to spend a while doing that while working on gearing up even in Molten Core. There were never these huge content roadblocks (certainly nothing like that loving pointless world boss hunt) that distracted you from progress - the ideal was always to make sure you kept progressing. It was often called a treadmill, but it never truly was - even if you only made a bit of progress, you were always making progress.

Wildstar's attunement for its first raid, capstoned by The Lurker Below, meanwhile, required you to not lag out at any point when running dungeons and to PRAY TO CHRIST the Adventures didn't bug out and deny you Silver by fiat. Oh and then spend upward of a week or more on world bosses, depending on your playtime and availability, because gently caress you, that's why.

Wildstar is an example of a game that needed time outside its echo chamber.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 21, 2015

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

sword_man.gif posted:

reminder:

"we want to take the most successful mmo ever, and do it right, because they just hosed it up"

See my :goonsay: on page 4: they sharply disagreed with the direction Burning Crusade and beyond took and honestly thought their ideas about content design and progression were better. I wish I understood how they manage to avoid stepping out of their echo chamber for so long.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

Almost like Blizzard learned from their mistakes and started to slowly correct them to make the game more palatable to non-poopsockers, unlike Wildstar

It wasn't even a "mistake", though, that's the point Bauxite and Tormented are trying to make. The Wildstar devs never understood that the raids were, and should, always be accessible during Warcraft's lifetime. They eventually abolished the concept of the "breadcrumb attunement" to guide you to other content entirely, but the point was almost never to make content inaccessible. (The only content they made truly inaccessible was Naxxramas, and despite the attunement for that being actually rather punishing, it was really inaccessible due to its ridiculous tuning.)

Tormented posted:

There was NEVER a time where the window didn't work. Blizzard did think about not having the "Shortcut" during beta but then just went with this.

Ah, but to :goonsay: a little bit, this is also not quite correct. The "run through Blackrock Depths to get to the raid instance" concept did make it to live launch, and was how you did it up through patch 1.3 in March 2005; the window attunement was added at that point. It was implemented mostly due to server stress and instance issues, actually, rather than anything else: Warcraft, it has to be remembered, was never designed with a seven-figure playerbase in mind. The idea was that only a limited number of people would even be interested in raiding conceptually, and so it wouldn't strain the instance servers too heavily if people had to run through an old instance after full wipes. Instead, the instance servers were getting hammered in general and I remember there being constant problems with groups within a raid getting new, uncleared versions of BRD and getting cut off, never mind the other raid lockout issues Blizzard had early on.

But even at all that, the fact remains: Molten Core originally had no attunement at all. The attunement was "could you get 40 people to wreck your way through Blackrock Depths and reach the entrance". Even Vanilla WoW's raiding was hilariously accessible compared to Wildstar - the only challenge was finding all the bodies you wanted. Wildstar's idiotic attunements have no real comparison in Warcraft's history.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Anatharon posted:

So apparently WildStar went Free To Play or something? Didn't they very vehemently say that WildStar was TOO GOOD and would DIE before that happened or did the people who said it get kicked out by now? :v:

It isn't F2P yet, but every indication says they're gearing up for a transition.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Bombogenesis posted:

Link for those curious.

God bless you, Wildstar guy. Keep on livin' that dream. :patriot:

Pffffft, it's not going to happen. If any F2P MMO-like gets pre-installed on Steamboxes, it's going to be Warframe. That game is doing stupidly well on Steam and is usually in the top 10 games by playercount.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

sword_man.gif posted:

is that gross or profit

because one is way, way worse

It's gross.

So yeah that shakes out to slightly more than half a million a month in gross income before expenditures.

Unless Carbine is ten dudes or less who aren't being paid very well, Wildstar is hemorrhaging money at this point.

edit: check that, my math was silly

carbine could probably support 20 or even 30 people on that monthly income!

(maybe)

edit:

no but seriously, I do wonder what the internal politics look like at this point

NCSoft does not hesitate to shut down underperformers, especially overseas, so whoever is still at Carbine must be pitching their hearts out over F2P or whatever. And with Gaffney long gone, I'm not even sure who's in control over there anymore

I also wonder how big Carbine is now, because for real, that monthly income could maybe support 25 to 30 developers at comfortable, semi-competitive salaries, plus other expenditures. Carbine does not want to be a 10-20 man mom 'n pop developer, they want to be a 100+ Blizzard-like because that's the environment the original founders knew. you don't support that kind of studio on an income of half a million bucks a month

hopefully someday we get a tell-all about the internal politics of Wildstar, because this sort of thing fascinates me and what's gone on behind the scenes must be stunning

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 1, 2015

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Pesterchum posted:

I think that particular gossip ended up being bullshit.

On some level, it's "legitimate", but only because they ended up recycling the actual hosting solution of CoH for Wildstar, including the IP addresses. After the Wildstar retail servers went live, the CoH server uptime trackers began functioning again, and the CoH client actually did behave differently (and got very confused when the server on the other end of the IP wasn't a CoH server). It's extremely unlikely they recycled the actual, ancient servers, but they do seem have used some of the hosting resources.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

So did they actually add proper mouse-aim to the game, or do you still need to kludge a bunch of mods to make that work

I thought I saw something about full mouselook and mouseaim support being added but I might have misread

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Just in case anyone hates themselves that much, it's not midnight PST, it's midnight EST, so about 9 pm PST.

Confession: my self-hate knows no bounds

Further confession: I cannot help but stare at trainwrecks

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Also the stream is already a bit of a tragicomedy, Chad Moore looks like he'd rather be doing anything other than spinning that dumb wheel

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Oh hey, Caydiem/Cyster is on stream now and is actually enjoying herself!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Big surprise, the content Cyster worked on actually looks pretty okay or even good

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

They're right about the guy who composed the music for this game, all of it is loving amazing and I still occasionally fire up the youtube playlist for that.

I was gonna say, the game's soundtrack deserves a better game overall, the game that launched a year ago was in no way worthy of its music (and in many cases had no idea how to use said music)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

what the gently caress?

the lion king is still on broadway? is that sign for the musical?

The Lion King musical is one of the most successful stage productions in the history of human civilization

it will be on Broadway basically forever, because it just keeps making money

(unlike Wildstar)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

That's a pretty snazzy trailer

Kinda wish the game itself looked that good

Cyster I smack because I like seeing games get better

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I haven't played in ages, and I forget if I deleted my Dom characters or not. My main is still there, though, so w/e

Also the mouselook/aim is actually reasonably slick... except there's still no way to bind abilities to mouse1/mouse2. Rip. So close yet so far still. Wonder if any of rebind mods are still up to date.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Tarranon posted:

good work team, glad we could obsessively mock a game for over a year and then be the first ones in to the f2p

for the mother fwiggin lulz :D :D

In this case, the only way to truly appreciate the poop is to touch it and take it apart and see what was digested to create such a magnificent poop

We're engaging in videogame gastronomy is what I'm saying here

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Hobbitron posted:

I spent a good bit of time trying to remember which addon was used for that. Saw it was called Lockdown but it didn't want to work for some reason. You can bind to left/right click in game though without the addon by using the column on the far right and it'll swap to that when you activate the mouse toggle.

Well hurp my durp, somehow I missed that new column entirely. (Sort of emblematic of how much of a mess the interface is at this point, though)

Still dunno if I want to do anything more than gently caress around in the most casual way imaginable, though. The interface is a mess, it feels quite difficult to pick up the questing again (I was a long rear end way from cap when I quit), performance is still kind of odd, the lag is laffo right now...

Wildstar's still Wildstar, is what I'm saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Rasmussen posted:

On another note, anyone manage to log in the game world yet?

Sure, logging in is fairly easy. Staying on is a bit of a challenge. :v:

Also Cyster is a goddamn trooper for still posting usefully here and keeping an even head fyi, and even though I smacktalk Wildstar p. relentlessly, I appreciate the effort Cyster puts into trying to make this game not terrible.

Will it be enough, though? (Answer: probably not :smith:)

• Locked thread