Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
the mystery is who the gently caress is still playing wildstar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
for a fun activity read this thread here and then remind yourself to never ever ever ever get into an mmo solely because it was goon suggested

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Eonwe posted:

fun fact: that guy in the thread you linked is the one that tried to sneak bobfromarketing back into the archeage guild and was openly sitting with BFM and some other goons in the IRC channel before BFM got permad

the more you kno

oh, i know

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
don't forget that some carbine dudes were present at blizzcon badge pickup to promote a tour of carbine studios with goody bags from a literal dollar store

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Thanks for reminding me that all their patch and promotional events were scheduled to directly compete against WoW's patching/expansion schedule. They honestly thought they could compete.

no, totally a coincidence that we did that every single time. completely. we assure you.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

i am tim! posted:

I remember their dumb "Come tour our MUCH COOLER office!" campaign, but never that they gave out grab bags from the dollar store. How cheap!

there was a picture on their facebook and they couldn't even be bothered to put like wildstar stickers on the bags, just the plain-rear end bags that are like ten for a buck

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
that the writing kept wanting to change between some kind of grimdark serious space fantasy and lmao aren't we just whacky as gently caress internet culture ahoy was incredibly jarring as well

the chua are one of the more egregious recent examples of really just loving horrendous everything

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Blazing Zero posted:

i played this game and max leveled a dude. then i quit because after max level it was an unfun attunement grind or cheater filled pvp. meanwhile, goons were chanting this games praises up until the child grooming thing. :pedo:

the child grooming thing was archeage, not wildstar

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
reminder that one of the dungeon silver medal times was 75 minutes, literally over an hour for a speed clear of a dungeon, and you had to hope that the servers which were notorious for making GBS threads themselves didn't do that once in that hour, and also that everyone played very well for that entire time

oops you hosed up at the 65 minute mark and wiped. start over.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
reminder:

quote:

The founders believed they could do better than WoW: "Hey, we want take that game but do it right this time," Gaffney recalls.

"we want to take the most successful mmo ever, and do it right, because they just hosed it up"

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

BigPaddy posted:

At this point I never pre order, crowd fund or advance access any game. Because everything that is released is a steaming poo poo until at least a few patches and paying for the privilege to beta test the steaming poo poo is dumb.

assassin's creed unity, sonic boom, and master chief collection came out within a month of each other and each one was broken as gently caress garbage. video games.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

SpaceDrake posted:

See my :goonsay: on page 4: they sharply disagreed with the direction Burning Crusade and beyond took and honestly thought their ideas about content design and progression were better. I wish I understood how they manage to avoid stepping out of their echo chamber for so long.

because the internet is incredible at forming tiny groups of people who do nothing but assuage each other constantly see: this very forum's wildstar threads

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

armor break rotations

in case you never played wildstar and don't get what this retarded premise was: in a genre where it's considered a miracle if you have a dps willing to interrupt spells, they decided interrupting spells should require multiple people all interrupting in order to break through "interrupt armor" so it would count

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

BigPaddy posted:

That sounds tedious as gently caress. If the developers through that was a good idea then they are clearly delusional.

it could be say, a gimmick that one raid boss utilizes, and it would be fine.

every single dungeon boss utilizing it that tediously is not fine

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
for a textbook definition of floaty see elder scrolls online where attack animations weren't much more than kind of feebly waving a sword around, and characters hit by these animations had no reaction

quote:

I also don't understand how committing to one's choices in combat in the form of animation locks is somehow less hardcore.

hardcore = high apm and carpal tunnel

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
"day one miracle patch" was a thing firmly parroted around in the launch w* threads whenever anybody had the sheer gall to point out the numerous flaws the game had

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

It's sort of amazing how people will always say this about games with a lovely beta despite it never being true. Can anyone think of a game that actually did have a miracle day 1 patch?

um well one of the devs was A GOON so surely they would never lie

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

BigPaddy posted:

By the time the open Beta starts that is usually the state the game will be released in, maybe a few little tweaks but not much else.

yeah see that's the thing, they had an "open beta" and it was dogshit but "oh it's just a beta"

there's no such thing as an open beta. it's a demo called a beta to encourage that thought process.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
it also neglected to say that as bc went on they started removing the attunements and sunwell didn't even require one

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Gaybee posted:

To anyone still playing: Is there a high population idling in cities? I know sub numbers would be pretty low, but there should be some activity going on.

i was reading a wildstar thread somewhere cause i was curious on the state of the game and a dude posted a picture of 7 dudes doing a mount conga line with "WOULD A DEAD GAME HAVE THIS??? STOP SAYING DEAD GAME"

worth noting that he was in a main city and there was not a single player not in his tiny conga line

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mayor McCheese posted:

I know this is a little off-topic, but what the gently caress happened with ArcheAge? I saw a lot of hype and then the thread just vanished. poo poo, Age of Conan / Mortal Online / Darkfall lasted longer than that.

the leader of the goon guild was going to extreme lengths to defend and harbor a pedophile and it came out and there was a lot of ruckus and it basically resulted in the guild dissolving when ANOTHER person tried to sneak the pedophile back in

as for the game itself, rift put in a bunch of lovely micros and killed themselves trying to cash out

e: trion did the micros thing, but they make rift and ruined that too, so

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thunderbro posted:

It really seems like there's a consistent theme among early MMO goons that there's just this cadre of creepy, miserable fucks that tries to snipe all the guilds and officer positions as fast as possible and power trip. Fortunately, it seems adults with working brains are adverse to having child grooming scum and co. in any position of authority over themselves.

hang on you mean the kind of person who sets out to get a second job that you have to pay to do might be a deranged braindamaged idiot??

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thumbtacks posted:

just checked the subreddit, apparently there have only been like two guilds that have cleared datascape, despite it being out for nearly a year

even then, less than like 30 guilds have successfully cleared GA, which requires half the people and is way smaller

this is a good thing though?? glad to see we're back to the good days of being a raider actually meaning something

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/125321-ptr-character-copy-service-now-live/

quote:

Hello Everyone!

We've listened to your ideas on how to help us receive better-focused game testing of WildStar, so we made a way to copy your live characters over to the Public Test Realm.

What do I do?

Players can now create a "snapshot" of their character on any live NA or EU Megaserver and send it to the Public Test Realm for some testing. Just initiate the process by typing in "/ptrcopy" within the chat window of the character you wish to have copied.

and it only takes 15 hours that you can't login to the character during to perform

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
really the funny takeaway imo is that there was apparently no way to copy your character over to the ptr before this

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

VoLaTiLe posted:

Wasn't archage the mmo with an active goon pedophile ring or something like that?

dude in charge of the goon guild was defending a pedophile because "well it happened a long time ago" and "it happened in iceland anyways" and then a whole bunch of the guild got very :tinfoil: that it was an Imp Zone Plot with the help of the moderation staff of the something awful forums to destroy their guild

then they tried to sneak him back in under a different name because man, i know he's a kiddy diddler, but holy crap can he generate a lot of wool. that's not sarcasm or funnyman, that was seriously why.

you had people on their offsite forums detailing elaborate conspiracies about how the mods and the imp zone were working together to destroy their guild for...some...reason besides harboring a pedophile is gross

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Anoia posted:

I'm guessing that leads to people awkwardly exchanging glances and saying nothing.

actually you'll find he's still well accepted in online communities due to his talents of being able to spend upwards of eight hours a day grinding in an mmo

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Anoia posted:

And going F2P is admitting defeat. This is supposed to be the WoW killer drat it!

well good news, wow is working very hard to kill itself

i suppose when they get done shooting themselves in the foot, rear end, chest, arms, legs, face, and dick, you can go and hold up the gun and yell MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
it's not the cost of wow it's the fact that there's nothing to loving do unless you're actively progression raiding

and you can't actively progression raid unless you've completed the attunement ring

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
might've been w* on steam

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Deki posted:

I'm pretty sure goon sentiment was always against chua/space elves.

lmao no it wasn't, the threads when it was still wow killer time ate that chua poo poo up

for science, you see, is the pinnacle of comedy and shows how lighthearted the game is and how not serious it's taking itself :)

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
huppy burfsarry

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
it's a cake

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
the best part of internet arguments is seeing people quote people to sound intelligent - sword_man.gif

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
yea after christmas was over

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

Putting gems in your gear doesn't have a random chance to fail, taking a weeks worth of gil with it when it gets deleted.

this is only true if you're trying to overmeld. melding materia into sockets that exist always succeeds.

and it's not "a week's worth" of gil since if you're overmelding, you're rich.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Givin posted:

Or it could mean something completely different.

dot/hot effects, passive mana regeneration are tied to a background tick, and everything ticks at the same time, together

aoe effects on the ground aren't affected by this though, it's just being out of the clearly marked zone before it goes away. even if you get out of the area after it goes away, you'll get hit, because the hit/not hit check is when the visual disappears.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

I did hear that SE eventually revealed the 'legit' way to beat it, like 5 years after it was relevant content.

it was a youtube video that was ridiculously vague and mostly pictures of the combat log of people using 2 hour abilities

the "legit" way was that if you cast the same 2-hour it was then it would interrupt and lock that 2-hour temporarily. so instead of hoping it doesn't use benediction you just hope it doesn't use it too much.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
there's nothing to do at max level but raid or play facebook games

the flying thing is a Hot Button Issue for some reason but it's not why wow is really terrible atm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
if i could merely hover 420 miles above the ground doing nothing wod would be so much better than being on the ground doing nothing. alas

• Locked thread