Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Can't wait to talk about MMORPG balance and how much of a good game SWTOR/FFXIV is in this thread.

Welcome back WIldstar thread. :shrek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Blazing Zero posted:

was it? it all just blends together

The people who backed said pedo were at the helm of the Wildstar goon guild. One was a whiny 16 year old and the other one knew how to run some offsite forums and god drat gently caress you if you didn't want to use them because that poo poo is HARD loving WORK.

Basically it was doomed to fail just like almost every Something Awful MMO venture.

Except for Space Jam. Cool people hung out there but I'm sure it had its share of anime pedos too.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Not to mention the aptly named Lava Destroyers guarding the crystal that was one of the toughest fights in the game at the time. Their damage was 100% fire based and nobody had poo poo for FR gear in the early days unless you ran a slave trade farming Dark Iron.

And all the faction you had to have to buy the patterns to make the FR gear.

Then the faction to make the run out to Asura every loving week to buy a quintessence of elements and hope to gently caress other people remembered to go pick them up as well.

And to top it all off, if you had smart rogues who knew their poo poo, and they decided to go "help" with attunment runs, you can bet your rear end you were clearing the bar and not bypassing it because the Barman Shanker was top tits.

While maybe not Wildstar level of stupid, it can easily be said that Vanilla WoW sure was a pile of loving poo poo. But we did it because eh, what else are you gonna do?

Givin fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 23, 2015

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Tormented posted:

But WoW was never that hard on getting into upper content, Wildstar took that page from Everquest. Where not until a couple of years ago you still had to do decades old raid content just to get the items needed to do current raids.

Going to assume you're talking about Epic 1.0s here.

EQ Epics were so hit and miss. They ranged from lackluster(Necro, Wizard) to You Need This Or You Are A Scrub(Cleric, Bard). Some classes wouldn't even get groups if you didn't have it.(Mage) Then there was the random difficulty some of them were to obtain. I am so glad I didn't play a warrior. I mained a rogue who had their epics delivered mail order for free pretty much.

My Ragebringer is still in my rogues ranged slot before they changed it to main/offhand. I would hotswap in a Gundrak Harpoon for backstabs until the day came when I got a Primal Spear. I thought I read they added in an NPC in Plane of Fear that will spawn your epic mob for you now. About 10ish years too late but sure why not.

This doesn't have anything to do with Wildstar but I do like Everquest.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
The only dumb pseudo attunment from BC was the Nightbane urn. And that was only poo poo because Blizzard believed for the longest time that players wanted to fight 360 degree chain cleaving mob packs in Shattered Halls.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Belzac posted:

Conversely by not rolling back everyone that did the dupe now has a lifetime subscription to their game.

You didn't even have to use the dupe to get rich day 1. There was an iron brace or some poo poo that sold for more than what you would pay for the materials to make it. I made enough cash doing this before people caught on to buy CREDD for years if I wanted to.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
As has been said, if a game is coming out in this generation, it drat well better ship with quality of life features that you come to expect nowadays. Here are my top three must haves.

Group Finder
Don't give a poo poo if you think it kills community or not. It needs to be in and it needs to function. Sometimes I don't have or want to spend hours shouting in random channels to put together that perfect group. If it doesn't work out, peace out I'll try again in X amount of time when my deserter debuff falls off.

Example of good ones would be WoW and Rift. They work and cross server queuing is good and cool.
Example of poo poo ones would be TESO and SWTOR's half rear end first attempt at it. TESO's doesn't even work and whatever bullshit SWTOR did never worked for me ever. Honorable mention to Everquest 2 for having a metric fuckton of the best dungeons in gaming history and using the worst 5 of them for their fail attempt at a group finder dungeon options.

Pretty Princess Dressup
Make your make believe dude or dudette look like your favorite anime.

Example of good systems like this is Rift. Any armor and weapons you find in game can be used to transmog. Doesn't matter if your class can wear the poo poo or not, you can still dress it up.
Example of bad systems would be WoW where you not only have to keep the gear around wasting bank/void space, you have to pay to do it. gently caress fun taxes. I also hear FFXIV has a weird as gently caress system.

Mentoring, Sidekicking
Sometimes you want to play with a friend who isn't as good at video games as you are. You know she will never be on your level and you don't want to waste time on another character just to get in her butthole.

Examples of good. City of Heroes, Rift.
Examples of bad. Any game that doesn't have it.

No I'm not a Rift fanboy but they do these three things correctly in my eyes.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
My first thought when I looked at that wolf is what a sad pathetic creature that is only alive because of half rear end life support measures. And well, I'm pretty sure you can guess the punchline that followed.

Also, Aurin forever.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
If I'm reading their forums correctly, Engineering pets now resummon when you dismount. I can not confirm this but if true this is a huge step forward Wildstar.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The 5-man dungeons require you to discuss what the interrupt rotation is going to be since all five people need to interrupt.

It requires you to discuss this because otherwise you will wipe to the trash, which requires interrupts and has 'interrupt armor'.

They could completely make the game into a gleaming spire of MMO purity and I think this one thing would keep me from coming back forever. It felt like such a tedious mechanic.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
CarrotGate about to blow up.

http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/36jy25/carrot_sproutling_pet_discovered_but_no_location/

Short Background.

Everybody is collecting Wildstar Pokemon pets. One pet, a carrot sprouting is very elusive and is the last pet a lot of people need to catch em all. A few people have it and know where to get it but aren't telling but have no problem posting screenshots or showing it off on twitch streams.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Does that free 10 day trial for old subscribers still exist? Maybe I should martyr myself by logging in and seeing if they've fixed the weird crashes.

The trial is still there and apparently if you had CREDD from days gone by, it's magically still there even though it's supposed to be deleted after 90 days or some such. I still have all mine.

Here's the fun thing however. If you used the google auth thing at launch and have since formatted your PC or switched phones and don't have the seed code, you have to contact support to get the 2 step auth removed on your account. This could take anywhere from a day to a week I'm hearing so make sure you got that poo poo squared away before you start the trial.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
You can push a turd with a stick, but if you push it back and forth with some friends it becomes oh so much more fun. Eventually that turd tries up and you all go your separate ways or go off together in search of another pile of poo poo.

MMOs ladies and gentlemen. None of these games are good after a while.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

I don't get what you mean by real time heartbeat.

I always took this as to mean WoW has the best feeling global cooldown system with abilities and such. After I play WoW, a lot of other games just feel clunky and slow as poo poo even though they aren't all that bad.

Or it could mean something completely different.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

darkhand posted:

That's my problem with a lot of modern MMOs, they're too sterile and well tuned that you never get to feel stronger. I liked using Weird Old Tricks that most games just don't have anymore; kiting, charming, reverse charming, absorb tanking are pretty funny and good. Even the art of pulling used to be pretty engaging, but it doesn't seem needed anymore.

I remember reading an old interview with some Everquest devs about how they were appalled that players were using feign death as a means to pull mobs and retrieve corpses and not running into each room guns blazing fighting all the monsters like they had envisioned

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

cthulhoo posted:

even our collective shitposting is nothing compared to the sheer maelstrom of poo that is wildstar

That statement is false because Wildstar has the opportunity to improve over time.

MMO HMO? Not so much.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Is WoW really that big of a train wreck right now? I quit after the first raid tier of WoD out of boredom but now it looks like you got dudes still yelling about wanting WoD flying saying they are the playerbase majority alongside a bunch of people yelling at Blizzard because they want a Vanilla WoW server for some loving reason also claiming they are the playerbase majority.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I hate when I go to MMO Champion and there is a pretty beefy update and 2/3rds of it is nothing but a Ghostcrawler circlejerk. I just don't see why people would even be interested in reading what he thinks about WoW anymore.

EDIT: Those new demon models look cool, oh looks like warlocks will get them after all.

Givin fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 27, 2015

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Going by this thread, there are no shortage of programmers in this world and infinite time to do programming.

Then someone please explain to me why "The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie – Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa" isn't out yet?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

cthulhoo posted:

let me refer you to the newbie guide to programming stuff, scrub

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
<cfform format="flash" method="post" width="400" height="400">
<cfinput type="text" name="username" label="Username" required="yes" >
<cfinput type="password" name="password" label="Password" required="yes" >
<cfinput type="submit" name="submit" value="Sign In" >
</cfform>

Do you think Brad McQuaid would hire me for my skills?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
pkzip -ex -r -p -&w doom.zip

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Everybody is making the brushing jokes, but I seriously did brush longer last night and this morning.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
So my CREDD is still on my account.

All 48 of them...?

I knew I was a Wildstar robber baron during launch but I don't remember buying that many. Today it looks like they sell for about 15 to 17 plat each. I was buying them up when they were around 2 to 4 plat each.

It's like inheriting a bunch of Walmart stock that your grandpa had, except Walmart is CompUSA in this case.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I didn't mind the raid gear in Rifts item shop because I had enough of every currency from old raid tiers and PVP to buy the items for transmog then immediately resell them for a full refund of that currency. Saved a gently caress load of time going back and running old dungeons/raids for drops.

How they didn't catch that I do not know.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
They went through and cut the auto attack damage of all monsters by a crazy amount. Dungeons are a ton more forgivable now. I guess they woke up one day and realized that nobody is going to gear as a tank while they level.

Now if they would only wake up again and realize the loving sprint button is a dumb thing and should be destroyed forever.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I don't see anything wrong with wanting that. I'd play a single player version of running and gunning through WIldstars dungeons.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
At this point I expect their Free to Play conversion to credit people money back that they have spent on this game.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Yeah, that's in still but they did add in the ability to get them through other means. I did notice that Trigger Fingers could be bought from your house plot vendor with their version of justice points.

I don't know if all AMPs are available like this. I just know that one in particular was notorious for being worth a small fortune and only gotten through random world drop.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
It's time to come clean Wildstar thread. I've been playing this for the past week because I was bored. I made a Chua spellslinger. I also had fun playing alone and got to around level 20ish. I didn't do any of the dungeons because I was afraid that I would be bad at dodging and interrupting.

But I'm stopping today because ARK comes out later this evening and I want to tame dinosaurs and poop.

Have fun and God bless.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Pretty sure it's the same person. Credit to Jackard for finding it.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

I think people forget that hybrid tax was an actual in game thing. As in, original everquest hybrids required 15% more exp to level than non-hybrids.

Don't forget hidden racial bonus/penalties to exp as well. Basically gently caress Troll Shadowknights in all holes.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

onesixtwo posted:

Ogre Warriors made the best raid main tank. They sat there and autoattacked things to death, but relied on weapon procs to hold threat. This is as hilariously dumb as it sounds but they had the best mitigation and HP pool. This later got reinforced by giving them some pretty powerful long cooldown tanking abilities in the first expansion. As a result of relying on procs to be any amount of useful in a tanking role, leveling warriors were garbage unless they were twinks.

Shadowknights and Paladins made good raid off tanks and excellent dungeon tanks since they had instant aggro generation that couldn't be beat.

All three classes were good at tanking for their own reasons. Paladins wrecked the poo poo out of undead mobs and were basically another DPS in certain situations. Shadowknights could pull and tank.

Ogre's made the best raid tanks because they couldn't be stunned from the front. That's it. Warrior taunt was also broken as gently caress since launch to the point that it only worked correctly if you put a training point into it no matter what skill level it said you were at.

Paladins were good tanks and had "amazing agro" back then because of blind forcing a mob to attack the closest thing to it so they would just stand inside a mobs hit box. Shadowknights were the tits because Disease Cloud and Clinging Darkness had a stupid amount of +threat incorrectly tied to it for years.

What I'm trying to say is, Everquest was a horribly broken game and because it was such we now have many key staples of what makes a MMORPG today and that it was the best video game ever made.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Both Plane of Fear and Hate was won or lost in the first five minutes of group 1 zoning in because they were the Seal Team Six that had to deal with the initial train of mobs being thrown at you. If your enchanter didn't have balls of steel you were hosed.

God help you if you got 3 ire sprites on the zone in on a Fear break.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Is it Metroid Prime Trilogy or the individual games that run the best on Dolphin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
It triggers wild fits of rage in some people who don't get perfect rolls on their drops, like Diablo 3.

• Locked thread