Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Wildstar cancelled their Christmas event. They recently announced that they are planning to have their first holiday event.... it's going to be Halloween, in October. Will the game survive that long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
There were lots of individual things about Wildstar that you could like. That's where most of the hype came from. It was just that most of it was hamstrung by lovely decisions that prevented you from enjoying them.

Cool, we developed a new IP. We're calling it Wildstar. One of the character types is a Spellslinger. We're doing this whole "wild west frontier with space magic" thing. Except we aren't really doing that. Have fun leveling in your generic medieval countryside zone, followed by generic ice area zone, followed by generic forest area zone....

Hey, Engineers run off a resource called "volatility." Sounds great, right? You need to balance it, keep it up without getting TOO high, right? Except that aspect of the class doesn't really come into play until WAY into the leveling curve. And several key abilities are part of this dumb Ability-as-loot-drop AMP system. We give you a choice of three AMPs as a quest reward very early in the game. One of them is the AMP that literally every type of build suggests you have. Hope you picked right, cupcake!

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Wasn't that just due to folks unloading mats at stupid cheap prices? I think that was because of how obtuse the vendor/inventory system was. Like, there was a whole different inventory for crafting mats. But you had to go into it and move stuff into the regular inventory to sell it to a vendor, so people never vendored stuff they didn't need. You COULD see all the stuff from your crafting inventory on the AH, though. So people were unloading stuff at like 1 copper each for the longest time, mostly out of lack of an apparent alternative.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Lyer posted:

Nah, it was that you could buy poo poo for karma (an in game currency you get for completing events/quests) and vendoring them for gold. You're not supposed to be able to directly convert it to gold like that, but an item fell through the cracks. I think it was some sort of cooking material.

I meant in WS. GW2 was definitely buying cooking ingredients for karma.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Deki posted:

I had similar experiences the last time I played. Nobody was that assholish, but getting kicked for not being overgeared for a levelling dungeon is irritating.

Were wildstar's pubbies like that? I didn't pug much at all.

I got a key into the closed beta. In the very first dungeon, on my first attempt, there is a trash mob with a lightning spell that required you to strip his interrupt armor and interrupt, or it will most likely kill the person he uses it on. After 3 attempts on him, the tank declared that I was the cause of our failure, and I wasn't interrupting at the right time and "probably didn't even have an interrupt on my bar." He dropped group. We replaced him and didn't have a single wipe for the rest of the dungeon. And in hindsight, I realized I was doing it exactly right, he was just an idiot.

All MMO's have terrible people playing them, but Wildstar managed to cultivate a very special class of arrogant, elitist douches. I like lots of things about the game though! Many of the bosses were legitimately fun! (In my opinion.) Dodging the bullet-hell stuff on the Forgemaster and doing the conga line dodge on the... I wanna say Slavemaster? Whatever their names were, I liked those fights.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

WarLocke posted:

Did they ever drop the idea of 'interrupt armor'? I get the idea of having to interrupt stuff, but Wildstar's take on it was so goddamn ridiculous. OK, so you gotta interrupt this guy or his spell will wipe the party. Problem is, he has 3 interrupt armor so you have to land 3 interrupts to break the armor, then a fourth interrupt to interrupt him. And this has to happen in a tiny window (5 seconds I think?), and almost every class only had one or two interrupts, and they were on longish cooldowns. So basically everyone in the party had to be on the ball and run this conga-line of interupts - to interrupt ONE mob in ONE fight. And you have to do this, successfully, repeatedly over the course of a dungeon.

What the gently caress.

I actually liked a lot of the interrupt armor stuff. By higher levels, warriors could do a ton of interrupt, and many things didn't REQUIRE an interrupt to survive, but they would trigger the Moment of Opportunity (extra incoming damage) if you did. My main complaints were needing to run a bunch of add-ons to easily see if this spell was The Bad One and little tuning issues (how long your window was, etc). The basic concept was fine (even "good") in my opinion.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
The game gets a lot of flack especially BECAUSE there are bits of edible corn sprinkled into the poo poo. If it was just pure garbage front to back goons would all have a good laugh and move on instead of beating this dead horse. I want a good, more action-based MMO with a relatively small action bar and fun dungeons and small "raids" and such. Wildstar has flashes of that here and there, but is hamstrung by tons of bullshit. One example of the classic One Step Forward, Two Steps Back of Wildstar:

Parker Lewis posted:

Things that GW2 got right that somehow WoW (and I assume Wildstar) still doesn't:
  • Vistas, exploration points, interesting zone design...

Wildstar KNOWS that lots of players love exploring the world, finding their way into little nooks and crannies and doing jumping puzzles and poo poo. It SPECIFICALLY lets you select a "path" that says, "Hey, I like that poo poo. Show me more of it." And that path is tedious bullshit and none of the exploration or jumping puzzles are anything close to the poo poo GW2 lets you just DO when/if you feel like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
That rune article reminded me just how obnoxious and awful the rune slots system was.

• Locked thread