Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Dr Snofeld posted:

I hope the composer gets more work, at least. Of all the things wrong with Wildstar, the soundtrack wasn't one of them.

Sadly I liked a lot of individual things about Wildstar, unfortunately the game as a whole had too many bugs and poo poo decisions dragging it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Iron Tusk posted:

Wilderrun. If you can find a decent group, you can probably have an OK time with it now with all that's changed.

Christ, I blocked out wilderrun from my memory. Farside is really well done at parts, and I didn't mind Malgrave, but gently caress Wilderrun.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I still find it hilarious that the #1 guild in WS outright cheated like hell on the first weeks, and Carbine wasn't willing to do poo poo to them.

The Moon Monster posted:

The straw that broke the camel's back for me was that the performance got worse and worse with every patch until doing some boss fights was more or less impossible. That and my first month was up.

Yeah, I gave up on the silver medal grind when the server loving up killed a great attempt on the one dungeon I needed.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Bauxite posted:

It'll be even better, you need sub to have a house at all and the protostar NPCs actually make fun of you for being a poor and give you a cardboard box underneath someone else's house to live in while laughing at you.

That sounds amazing, I don't know what you're talking about.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Normal Adult Human posted:

Wildstar's servers are literally the old city of heroes servers. The data used to store my cool fishman with a gun was probably reallocated to the .wav of the guy yelling HEEEEY! HEY!

:qq:

Even if it was true (It's not), it's not like Paragon studios was any less mismanaged than Carbine.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

croutonZA posted:

Is this true? This seems too stupid even for Carbine.

Yeah. I'd go so far to say that 90% of the poo poo wrong with the game isn't because the devs have some ingrained hatred of the playerbase, but because the people running the show are really loving dumb.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Holyshoot posted:

Does zoness still play this game? I know they were super into it despite how much poo poo it sucks. I think they even had two characters attuned to GA.

Addiction gave up hope on wildstar not being a POS a little more than a month into the game, so probably not?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Flesh Forge posted:

"this egregious mistake is one that others have made thus it's not a mistake"

Hmmmm!

Blizzard dropping a feature that was taking too long is like the opposite of forcing the devs to work on Warplots to the detriment of the rest of the game (which launched buggy as poo poo).

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

They probably did it to protect new players from themselves. You can waste a lot of money glamouring your low level gear and then hit max level and have nothing to pay for upgrades to get past the initial ilvl hump. It's a decision in line with everything else they've done in the game.

Or they could have not made it expensive?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

ArtIsResistance posted:

this thread has only ever had two jokes, wildstar bad and ff14 good

City of Heroes and Guild wars get trotted out every few pages as the apex of game design too. God forbid you dislike something about either of those two games.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

WarLocke posted:

Well Guild Wars had its problems but CoH was pretty huge and did stuff right that even games that came after it are still messing up, so idunno what you're point here is. :smugdog:

I'm sorry that I didn't treat your furry dressup simulator game with the proper reverence.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Asimo posted:

Pretty much. There's nothing inherently wrong with single-planet sci-fi, and if carbine played up the "wild new frontier" angle and used more sci-fi style tropes and enemies then it would have worked just fine. But instead it was just Azeroth with laser guns. :geno: The player faction cities and towns are well-established, there's ~wacky~ not-fantasy races all over the drat place, there's no consistent tone to the setting, and all the quests are either focused around fantasy-style magic or are super-generic low-effort bear rear end fetch stuff. It's like cargo cult setting design; the developers literally had no idea how to make something not-WoW so they just threw some flashing lights atop the burning crusade formula and hoped that would make it distinct. I remember doing some stuff early on and wound up in some village of some not-fantasy locals doing some collectathons to help them with not-water elementals or something like that and I was sitting there the whole time thinking that if my guy wasn't swinging around a chainsaw sword then it would have been literally indistinguishable from WoW.

What squandered potential.

There's small missions on asteroids and an entire section is on the moon orbiting the main planet, along with a few places where you're on an allied/enemy capital ship. It's not planet spanning, but short of having each zone be it's own instanced "planet" I don't know how you'd go about this.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

panda clue posted:

I wonder if cyster is one of those people at the top that the leak described, who are constantly arguing and dragging the entire company down. she has stayed there longer than almost any other carbine employee at this point. makes u think

I like how Cyster is responsible for the one part of Wildstar that is almost universally liked by people who played the game, yet is Hitler on SA because ???

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Xavier434 posted:

Is that what you really think I meant?

Kinda yeah.

My involvement with this conversation began with my disbelief and confusion that eastern mmo developers were creating content to purposely appeal to that sort of disgusting activity and that there was likely a very different reason at least in their minds. Not only was I in disbelief because of the obvious ethical reasons but it did not make sense from a cold hearted financial reason either. Then someone mentioned that "cute" characters have been found to resonate with a large demographic of paying eastern players(women) and I connected that with my own observations here which is that I personally know some women who gravitate to those kinds of characters for similar reasons. That made sense to me.

Anyways, I know this is a really sensitive topic here on SA making it a challenge to suggest that eastern developers might have different reasons for creating this content without everyone crying foul against the person who might consider the possibility. I'll just drop it because it really isn't all that important me.

I don't think I can agree with the logic that sexualised pre-teen character models are okay just because they might be targetted towards women.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm pretty sure goon sentiment was always against chua/space elves.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
if Carbine wasn't imploding (or if lovely management wasn't _the_ problem), they could probably salvage something from this. After all, I remember City of Heroes being a loving buggy mess the first year or so and that managed to last quite a bit in the end.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
My point was more that CoX was nearly unplayable, I'd say definitely worse than Wildstar at launch. Neither of the two people that I knew that had it at launch managed to even get past character creation due to client/server issues. And yet it became beloved to it's small niche community.

Wildstar being hosed is a given, partially because there's a lot more competition, but mainly because in the state Carbine is, there's no way that they are going to be able to do the changes that would lead to them holding and growing the niche community that is sticking with them thusfar. If they're bleeding talent and didn't have much to begin with, I really doubt they're going to do much more than grab as much F2P money as possible before the lights are turned out.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

The Moon Monster posted:

I played CoH at launch and don't know what you're talking about. It had its issues but it was far from "nearly unplayable". At the time I remember most people were commenting about ti being the best MMO launch they'd ever seen. Of course standards were lower at the time.

I know you couldn't play on some (for the time) modern video cards and for some reason some people would always get ejected from the game after entering a zone transition. That's pretty bad.

poptart_fairy posted:

CoH was also pre-WoW. Wildstar didn't, or shouldn't, have the luxury of ignorance especially when created by "veterans".

Oh definitely, but I'm just saying that if Carbine wasn't in a hosed up state, that it could manage to pull out of it's death spiral (It won't).

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
"I don't like MMO PVP and thus am perfect to be the one to decide how it works for those that do enjoy it"

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Organized? Yeah, definitely. But there are a lot of people who like open world stuff and that's not an itch you can scratch in any other genre yet really.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Thunderbro posted:

yeah because that itch is being an unfair noncompetitive farce for addicts to feel tough and cool

You know you're a loser when you hold a grudge about other MMO players beating you.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Bombogenesis posted:

They really did just overlay some crap onto a random mob :stare: Why did nobody ever make a :carbine: for these occasions?

:mediocre: works I guess.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Cyster posted:

we wanted to give players something that wasn't more boomboxes. Even we know better. :v:

Were the cooldown on those removed? I think I got at least over a hundred and a half and opened 20 if even that.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

bear is driving! posted:

I see the hate Wildstar gets from goons, so I need to ask: why, exactly, is the game so bad?

I'm a super casual player, just looking for an MMO to fill the time until Heavensward drops and I wanted to try the 10 day trial, but I would like to know why the hate? Is it just for stuff at endgame, or is the game somehow fundamentally flawed?

If you can try it for free, do it. It's probably going to not be your cup of tea (it's a trainwreck with a few things done well), but I don't think anyone ITT besides cyster has even played it in the last 10 months or so, They could have made QoL changes but I haven't been following it at all.

I don't even feel like most of the goons hate wildstar as much as they like talking about how great their own MMOs of choice are tbh.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

desudrive posted:

I think people are forgetting that Tera was an absolute trainwreck at launch as well. The game was packed full of people for the first month, but I remember buying 2 months of in-game time with gold and after that first month Velika had maybe like 4 people in it. Also, you had to do Every. Single. Quest. to level and iirc you -had- to do the dungeons to even unlock the next set of story quests. there was a point in the early 40s where I ran out of quests to do and had to grind on panthers for a level just to even get a few more quests. It was a pain in the rear end. The game has come a long way since launch.

I have a feeling that with a similar F2P model, Wildstar will actually see similar success. That is, if the devs somehow get a little less retarded (probably not likely).

Tera didn't launch on the heels of COH closing, spawning crybabies from the word go.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Selane posted:

Does anyone know if there's a company with an opening for a Senior Meme Gif Poster position?

TimeTravel almost certainly won't be able to find a job in the games industry after this unless assistant manager at a gamestop counts.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Does FFXIV still require you to kill the primals before you can level past them?

Because that was almost impossible for me with the pubbie dps that kept dropping before the boss was even remotely hurt.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Oh Snapple! posted:

Is there any real logic to the apparent housing limit.

I played FF14 to max back when 2.0 happened but then had to quit 'cause of school and other stuff. Was considering starting back up for summer, so hearing about this housing thing is a huge bummer.

Because the Final Fantasy devs hate their players.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
The only game genre worse than MMOs are MOBAS.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Mattavist posted:

I'm legit excited about f2p because I miss my house.

I'm kind of curious what kind of sicknasty houses people were able to make with a year's time.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Thunderbro posted:

rift used to be a fun game

last time I played it I immediately got called a friend of the family and votekicked for not having full raid gear in a 5-man dungeon. this is standard for a pay2win community.

I had similar experiences the last time I played. Nobody was that assholish, but getting kicked for not being overgeared for a levelling dungeon is irritating.

Were wildstar's pubbies like that? I didn't pug much at all.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Is 15$ really even that much anymore? I didn't feel it was that much 10 years ago when I was a dumb highschool kid, and everything else in life has gotten more expensive since then while no sub cost has risen past the 15$ mark.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
It was decent but not even remotely good enough to justify the amount of mourning over it's death.

Deki fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 1, 2015

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Huh, my free trial claims it's already been used, and my old credd is gone.

Yeah, not going to bother until F2P launches.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
So you shouldn't play Wildstar because the community is dumb and obsessed with being "hardcore", while you should play Tera despite the fact that literal pedophilia is rampant?

I don't think I get that.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Valatar posted:

You shouldn't play wildstar because the developers are obsessed with being "hardcore". The community of all MMOs is packed to the rafters with imbeciles and deviants, that's not going to change regardless of which one you play.

The TERA devs sexualized a race of children with the loving literal excuse that they're actually thousands of years old and whatnot.

I know that shot got censored somewhat for the American release but drat.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
And to think I've thought the wildstar thread was incapable of being funny ever since it got brought back.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Gearing wasn't too bad considering it basically broke down to Stack one stat and maybe a second lesser priority. I do support simplifying the poo poo out of it though.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I stopped playing MGS3 for like a year and a half before resuming it and finding the End dead. I was actually disappointed to find out that the threshold for the end dying was only a few days, not a whole year.

I really do need to finish MGS4 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

abraham linksys posted:

It was also supposed to be super crafting-intensive, according to the Kotaku post about it: http://kotaku.com/heres-what-blizzards-titan-actually-was-1638632121

Overwatch looks hecka fun and I'm glad it doesn't have any MMO mechanics because it looks like a real cool shooter

My only issue with Overwatch is it's a thinly veiled gently caress you to valve for winning the fight over the Dota trademark.

• Locked thread