Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

quote:

the guy trying to uplift us started discussing the negative perception we had on Glassdoor, and instead of talking about how the company wanted to fix the issues that people were discussing in the reviews here, he said that he had begun talks with Glassdoor to see what he could to alter the perception that was being shown.

This is not an uncommon way for employers to look at sites like Glassdoor, the HR director at my place went to the website content team in Marketing and demanded they changed the reviews about us on glassdoor thinking they had put them up because it was on the internet and was about us. He then later came to me and demanded I use, and I poo poo you not with this quote, "Technowizard nerdery" to go change the reviews on Glassdoor so they were positive. When I explained it was a website run by a completely separate entity he had an aha moment and went down stairs to legal to ask them to start C&D proceedings against Glassdoor. I could hear the laughing from the other side of the building. This guy recently left without much fanfare when the upper management started asking why employee retention was so low across the company.

Edit: looking over the reviews the benefits look like anything I would expect in any tech company ever. I get all those benefits and if I was interviewing at a place and they said they didn't at least have those I would not take the job if offered. Working at a games developer is always going to be a poo poo show anyway as they know they can get developers for peanuts, who want the kudos of working on games vs working in a less glamorous area as they all believe in a few years they will be at E3 and the like being interviewed about the game their are the designer of.

Xavier434 posted:

The parts that stood out the most to me are the relationships between management and the majority of the staff, the blame game crap that happens as opposed to working together to solve problems, the lack of reception to serious critical feedback from their own developers, the general feeling that you have to "take sides" if you work there, and the low morale. A lot of the reviews centered on that sort of stuff.

Sadly this is all pretty common. Go ready any technical company and you will similar reviews I expect. The problem is that a small, newish company in a competitive market that is the graveyard of dreams needs everyone working together and to be focused on a goal and to be better at pretty much everything than their competitors. Having a bad culture means you will create a bad product and those in charge of your PR will think they can get away with being arseholes because hey that is just how this company rolls.

However this thread is about tears of pubbies about a game that has belly flopped onto concrete rather than a post mortum of the development and how most companies still haven't gotten the memo about not treating people like poo poo.

CoffeeBooze posted:

The reviews that pointed out managements insistence on non-stop "crunch time" style work hours also stood out. This seems to be a signature of bad management. The kind of long term fatigue it leads to would also explain a lot about why so many bugs continued to not be resolved. Working long hours like that pretty quickly leads to mistakes becoming far more frequent.

Exactly right. You cannot have people working constant 10+ hour days and weekends over the entire development lifecycle of a product unless you are providing them with benefits beyond snacks and a few free t-shirts. Google has a habit of doing this however they have beds, free meals and a spa in their offices which is fine for the young guys and gals who don't have family commitments but not for old warhorses like me. It is a sign of poor management making promises they cannot keep to investors. Since they were cutting staff it seems they were not going for the whole "9 women can deliver a baby in 1 month" resource management technique that is all too common as well. A good example of this is Blizzard merging their Titan team into the WoW dev team and despite having more people delivered less in the last expansion due to the time needed to normalise a new team.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Carbine could be making anything and with people like that timetraveller guy in senior design positions it would still be a steaming turd. If you game is not fun then it has failed in its most basic criteria for existing.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The one good thing that comes out of Wildstar is that the next time some one pitches a "Hardcore" mmo they are just reminded of this and go back to making clones of Clash of Clans for android and iOS.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

cthulhoo posted:

e: My only 40 man raiding experience is anniversary MC40 and it was absolutely hilarious. That's my raiding story thanks and god bless.

The anniversary MC40 was great because they didn't scale back on any of the BS mechanics like core hound packs and all the decursing that was needed so it was an utter poo poo show.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

cthulhoo posted:

Whinepost about unsubbing a lot.

You can't unsub now, the game is F2P :smug:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

cthulhoo posted:

I'm sure there's gonna be a premium subscription and hilarious restrictions for those not paying. Like swtor but worse.

Of course and if it isn't worse than TOR and the pop ups every 10 minutes asking you to go premium or even having to buy basic stuff like your first bank tab then clearly the hardcore developers will have already bailed.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

At this point I never pre order, crowd fund or advance access any game. Because everything that is released is a steaming poo poo until at least a few patches and paying for the privilege to beta test the steaming poo poo is dumb.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

so it's the furries fault?

Isn't it always?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

mrbass21 posted:

Edit: Good point.

What the gently caress is an armor break?

Let's say a mob had an armor of 3. You had to use special abilities to "break" the armor (most only "broke" one or two at a time). These were mostly done as interrupts for "interrupt this or it very likely could wreck your group" mob abilities. Let's say you have 4 people, and all of them have an interrupt to break 1 armor (all of them have cool downs as well). All your other party members would have to use their abilities to "break the armor" to 0, then you would have to use yours to actually interrupt the cast.

Careful though! If you all don't cast it within about 1.5 seconds of each other, that armor will regenerate to 3 and it would be impossible to interrupt.

That sounds tedious as gently caress. If the developers through that was a good idea then they are clearly delusional.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Bombogenesis posted:

This is definitely a more bizarre bug than what I was told. How does a thing like that happen?

Lack of QA

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Secret Spoon posted:

Don't forget that the best weapon in the game, at least for engineers, was from PVP. It was miles ahead better than anything crafted or from dungeons. In fact, it was so good that some of the raid weapons were side grades.

To be fair for a long time in vanilla wow the PVP sets were better than raid gear for DPS but of course were locked behind pvp ranks and the need to poopsock to get them.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

By the time the open Beta starts that is usually the state the game will be released in, maybe a few little tweaks but not much else.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

We are building a troll of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Gaybee posted:

Guys it's ok, teeth grow back.

Looking forward to Shark Week on July 5th?

If you don't have a Philips Sonicare electric tooth brush you are going to get gingivitis tomorrow.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I wish I could have gotten into GW 2 more since Charr are awesome but ehhh it just didn't click.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I bought Payday 2 for $6 for my brother's birthday and got a Wildstar key to give to someone I don't like. Winning all round here.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I gave my humble bundle key to my brother for his birthday as well and he asked why I sent him a closed beta key to something that is no where close to done. He just laughed when I told him it has been out for a year.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Byolante posted:

I hope you hate your brother and also that your parents disowned you. What a poo poo present.

He bought me Age of Conan on release day so fairs fair.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

It is a family tradition of buying each other lovely games going all the way back to him being a babby and having an Amiga 500 and me being a pure blood member of the C64 Master Race. Steam Sale and Humble Bundle has taken the gamesmanship to the next level.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Games Developers are soulless work houses that take young talented programmers and turn them into bitter vets far faster than any other tech industry,

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

It was always amusing to me that Ion Storm produced one of the best games of all time in Deus Ex but had nothing to do with Romero during development as he was polishing the turd that is Daikatana.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

theultimo posted:

Barrens Chat: The game

The worst thing Blizzard ever did was split The Barrens in two. Now where will I make myself feel better by telling people where Mankrik's wife is? (Protip: she is in Blackrock Mountain)

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Normal Adult Human posted:

The best tank gear in the game were assorted pieces of blue/green leather items with high armor stats.

Pre MC sure you were using stuff from lower level instances because they had stam and + def while the warrior and paladin sets had no focus. It is still odd how no one has ever been able to have sane stats and itemisation from launch despite there being 15 years of this stuff in the wild.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Byolante posted:

There is this belief among some devs that the Totalbiscuits of the world talk for the majority of casuals and want elitist raiding content they never get to see because it gives them something to aspire to.

Because Totalbiscuit is a mong?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

In Cata they made the 5 man heroics ball crushingly hard and the "hardcore" players were happy because it was what they asked for. Then the other 99% of the player base was pissed off so they were nerfed and the "hardcore" bitched and moaned about casuals and quit. Nothing of value was lost.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Is it just fantasy?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I have yet to clear HFC Normal but I am beginning to question why go to the trouble? I can LFR for the ring and then wait out until the next expansion when all my gear will be worthless anyway. I can only get titles and mounts from Mythic which I am not going to do.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Byolante posted:

So they have done plants vs zombies, harvest moon and now farmville. Whats next, puzzle and dragons?

Pandemic but with the undead plague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

d3lness posted:

e: YTMND was the best and made college bearable

It would constantly remind me who stole my bike.

• Locked thread