Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

http://www.mmo-troll.com/carbine-and-ncsoft-take-a-hard-stand-on-wildstar-promise-never-to-go-free-to-play/

Would they really LIE to us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I was under the impression that wildstar would not ever be going free to play because that's for scrub games.

Wildstar posted:

“Free-to-Play is for games that suck, or have failed, and that’s that! ‘Wildstar’ does not suck, nor has it failed, so we won’t be going Free-to-Play.!”

Oh I guess it's cause it sucks and failed.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

onesixtwo posted:

The dev who said that quit two months after launch.

Just like the player base then.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

Apparently Wildstar just had a "special event," except there wasn't anything special about it and no one won any prizes at all, it was a mandatory stress test so they rounded everyone up in the main city and disconnected everyone that didn't join in. good job crbine

So that picture is the absolute server population at the time?

Geeeze.....

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

All this "Wildstar isnt for CUPCAKES!" is hilarious having played a game that actually gives no fucks like Age of Wushu where in there is a 3 part boss battle where 1 unstoppable boss must be tanked by a single person using the right combination of skills to remain in the air above the boss so he does not instantly kill the entire zone, at the same time an army is attacking large gates of a base that must also be tanked in the air because they spawn too fast and hit for too much to take head on, all while the rest of the group rushes to finish a boss who can one hit kill people at random and sometimes knock people out of the battle resetting the bosses health. This fight is 45 minutes long.

Wildstar is baby time.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Rorus Raz posted:

Wildstar's thing is loving crap (seriously gently caress a stat that demands healers keep everyone topped off), but I can see why they're doing it since WoW has had this long-running problem where no matter how they revamp their stat system it always boils down to a fairly strict hierarchy of stuff for your spec. Choice was such an illusion that they basically removed sockets from gear since it really wasn't about tailoring your gear to your tastes, but rather just another expense and stat juggling headache. Tertiary stats don't really solve this since they aren't reliable enough to build around, but then again I think the point of them was to make your 50th Kargath kill slightly more interesting since his boots may have +lifesteal or something.

The people do less damage at less health makes no sense to me on a design level. Especially for something claiming to be so skill based wouldn't people doing more damage as their health gets low make more sense. You'd create another layer for healers that have to focus on healing so they don't die but allowing for dips when they need to do more damage.

Wildstar is just plagued with these kinds of awful decisions.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Only amongst casuals, cupcake.

So the primary demographic of a free to play game?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

A year later they do a stat overhaul and replace MOXIE with GUMPTION.

I remember reading an interview many years before the game came out that made it soun like paths were going to be the one big thing that made Wildstar different.

Oh yeah I remember there being a huge push that you could play the whole game as an explorer or whatever and never engage with combat encounters if you wanted. It was going to be a radical choice that dictated your experience. But that was hard so they didn't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Also a shitload of nontrinity games that weren't CoH already exist, come back with modern and better examples. I'll give you a hint, most of them are asian and one of them is a massively popular game on steam that's free to play.

It's warframe.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Trinity_(Warframe)

Nontrinity my rear end!

• Locked thread