Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The Wildstar thread! You were missed, old friend.

EDIT: I love that in this thread (https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/124755-wildstar-retails-dissappearing/) there are people saying poo poo like "as soon as ESO went B2P I quit." Are they full of poo poo or do people actually do this? If you're enjoying the game why would the payment model matter?

EDITEDIT: And I just saw the Olivar post in that thread. He even broke character in it. It's like Christmas.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
"Freeloaders do nothing for P2P players beside clogging the server for the short time they try the game" - A thing a Wildstar player said as his game was dying around him.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

FrostyPox posted:

LOL.

Man, I liked the art direction and the combat in this game when I tried the beta but the questing itself was dull as dirt and the endgame sounded loving miserable.

I'm surprised this game hasn't gone F2P/got shut down already, but I'm with the "will play when it goes F2P to drink pubbie tears" crowd.

EDIT: I still think I'd rather play WS than ESO. Managed to play WS for something like 15 hours before it started to annoy me, ESO didn't last more than 4!

I was in the WS beta, loved the art style, but it was really poorly optimized for something that barely looked better than WoW. On top of that, like you said, the questing is horrendous. Whereas in any other MMO you'd be asked to get 8 boar butts, WS asked you to get 30. Add to that that fights generally take longer in WS because every enemy has telegraphs you need to dodge and it was just really, really awful.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Stormgale posted:

I think it was because they found a way to boost their DPS in a pseudo exploity way so he threw a tantrum

I thought it was because the encounter was literally impossible with the current level of attainable gear so the devs had no choice but to tone it down, so when it was finally beaten he acted like a baby throwing a tantrum.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Haha, the forums are going nuts over there with F2P threads.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/124774-q-carbine-are-you-changing-your-business-model/page-1

Another F2P thread, this time with bonus dude claiming he worked on GW2 for ArenaNet so everyone should totally listen to what he says.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I just want to see what the most anti-F2P people on the official forums (people like Lethality, the guy with the Animal avatar) who are always smugly saying it will never happen will do when it inevitably does.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Byolante posted:

My wow guild saw the announcement for the MC event and planned out a fun weekly raid for all the oldies who used to raid but stopped as the content got less forgiving with each expo. We were having no trouble with progression in highmaul. One night experiencing the joys of molten core and we never went back.

Also, on the shameful and expensive lessons topic

This taught me that when a dev says the launch patch will fix X they are lying. It also taught me never to buy a game with a lifetime sub option.

I'm sorry. :(

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
There's some show or stream where a guy (assuming he works for Carbine since they keep referring to the show as the only real advertisement going on for the game) levels a character from 1 to the cap with a group of friends or whatever to show that it isn't all ahrdcore and that casuals can have fun too. Apparently he isn't good enough for the community because all they do is talk poo poo about him, and they wonder why they're seen as a joke.

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/124974-zero-to-fiftyomg-what-a-mess/

EDIT: One of them seems to have realized the irony of it all. Only one, though.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 22, 2015

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
"Clearly, the game is recovering. Also as clearly, it's not recovering nearly fast enough for everyone. But the recovery is there. New subs are being made every day. New players are stepping foot into the game, and playing long enough to get to Illium and talk in zone chat. And this is the Dominion side. I can only imagine what kind of revival is going on over on the Exiles!"

These people must be seriously deluded.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

THE PWNER posted:

those moba elements were in alterac valley.

Have you SEEN our version of the generic huge clusterfuck battleground that every mmorpg has?

I liked the old Alterac Valley. Something about the back and forth with all the NPC forces and side objectives along with the massive frontline battle made it the most fun I've ever had in WoW PVP. Shame they butchered it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
They're getting pretty smug about a population increase in the starter zones over on the official forums, but isn't that just because of the 10-day trial + the game having essentially one server?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/125717-the-future-of-wildstar/

Wildstar will -never- go F2P/B2P. Also, Olivar has gotten meaner than I remember.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

noELrunes posted:

Protector. Surprised he isn't an embassador. I remember he used to RP a chua on forums but like Verr has said, the game is starting to get to the old guard lately.

Yeah, he used to stay in character in every post but since the thread came back he just seems dead inside.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Looking forward to the Wildhard diehards brushing off the new earnings report because it doesn't include the latest patch.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Evil Mastermind posted:

So why are people so dead-set against WildStar changing the subscription model? Is it a "filthy casuals" thing?

They don't want freeloaders or something.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
You can play WoW for free now anyway so who cares. There's enough content in it, even if it is really old, to justify playing it casually as a F2P game now that tokens are a thing.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/126059-ncsoft-q1-2015-report-wildstar-continues-downward/

4 posts in and someone is already trying to say the earnings report doesn't matter.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Watching them try to find fault in the charts is adorable. Thinking that maybe Credd doesn't factor in to the earnings report, and with that being how half of the 50 people still playing pays for their subs..

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Iron Tusk posted:

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/126026-extended-ncsoft-maintenance-13-may-2015/

17 hour maintenance tomorrow. But it's not the game itself that's going down. It's the auth servers and........account management. New model incoming?

I hope so. It'd be like Christmas in May to see the forum reaction.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Byolante posted:

Isn't one of the problems with credd that a whole lot got flooded onto the market in the first month and now nobody is paying for subs anymore.

That and if I recall there was a duping issue that flooded the market with too much money/Credd. I could be misremembering because I know something similar happened to Archage with their in-game sub currency thing.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Saxophone posted:

True story: one of the devs, upon learning that some of his precious raid bosses were killed would retune them to be even harder if their broken mechanics even allowed for them to be killed in the first place. This happened multiple times. The dev would be actively hostile and critical of anyone making attempts on raid content, and upon actually killing said raid bosses would be defensive, hostile, and post things like "about time you guys got him down LEGITIMATELY".

I seem to recall stories of said dev actually watching some of these raids as they happened (not hard when there were like 2 active raid guilds in the whole game) and making on the fly adjustments to the content if he thought the groups were clearing it to easily.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
It's kinda funny that even now that some of the most hardline supporters are starting to grumble "well maybe things aren't as good as I thought" you still get people posting in their threads saying poo poo like "NEGATIVE POSTS AREN'T HELPING THE PROBLEM I LOVE YOU CARBINE".

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Evil Mastermind posted:

That won't solve the problem that the established playerbase will hate them, too.

I'm sure all 50 of them will get over it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Really curious what this "surprise" they have planned for after maintenance is.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Mayor McCheese posted:

Can't be better than all that reddit drama unless it causes more drama.

:allears:

Come on, even if it's Carbine giving every current subscriber an awesome in-game reward as thank you there will be drama, probably because gifts are handouts that truly hardcore players don't need.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Asimo posted:

As big a trainwreck as Warhammer was, it was still the only MMO where PVP was even vaguely fun, at least in the low-level brackets. When they actually worked. :v: It continues to amaze me that no other game has picked up on way they let you have a hostile target and a friendly target, it actually made playing a healer vaguely fun for a change.

I must be the only person who actually misses Warhammer Online.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So can they not post on the forums when maintenance is going on, or is it just a really slow day over there?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Holyshoot posted:

So who's all for posting source quotes on reddit and the forums where they say they would rather let the game die before going to a non sub model when this happens?

I wish I'd saved some of the screenshots I took for this very reason. I did it when TOR went F2P and it was amazing.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Oh man, all this drama over Wildstar plus all the drama over Blizzard's massive bot ban wave recently have made for great forum reading.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
In the main "our cheating program got detected!" thread on those bot forums there's more than one person urging people to try Wildstar now that they've been banned from WoW, and that the Wildstar equivalent bot will -never- get detected.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

30.5 Days posted:

Is he QA? How is that an OK salary for a tech worker in california?

QA people don't get payed very well.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm particularly interested to see what the diehard anti-F2P people like Lethality and Olivar have to say once the transition to F2P is officially announced. They've been totally dismissive and outright rude on the subject, and I iamgine they'll both just stop posting out of shame.

EDIT: At least some of them are taking it like men. This is from Vince Blood, the self professed QA tester for Guild Wars 2: "I still stick by my principles. I have no argument anymore. I don't want to admit I was wrong because I honest-to-god want this game to be able to stand on its own two feet, but I was wrong. It breaks my heart that I was wrong because I wasn't fighting against all that I was just for personal reasons; I was vehemently against all that's happening because I know what it takes to develop a game and I didn't feel it was the right time to make these changes.

But I was wrong. People seem pretty happy to rub that poo poo in my face, and that's petty as *cupcake*. But I was wrong. All I can do now is hope the game prospers wherever it ends up. I'm sure a lot of people will be incredibly happy that I won't be posting as much anymore."

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 14, 2015

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Did we ever find out what the surprise Carbine had for after the maintenance was?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Let's go back to making fun of Wildstar. It's funnier than calling goons pedos, which happens in every MMO HMO thread already.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Flesh Forge posted:

This just in, NCSoft merges Blade & Soul with Scarlet Blade to give us Scarlet Blade & Soul

Thank goodness.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Flesh Forge posted:

I know right, the character models in Scarlet Blade are way less unappealing

e: well except for the 10 year old girl race (yes they have one too of course)

Also Scarlet Blade straight up had no playable male characters/classes until recently unless I'm remembering wrong.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Valatar posted:

I'm suspicious that the surprise was going to be, "Surprise, we're on Steam!" Then it leaked and their true believers went all lord of the flies about it and the community started to disintegrate, and they had a moment of, "Oh poo poo, they're going to literally crucify us if the Steam thing is the surprise, we'd better come up with a new surprise, quick. Get Dave down in the art department to whip up a pet or something while we stall them."

This is almost definitely the case.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
CoX wasn't nearly as good as some goons seem to act. It's a combination of fond memories and comparing it to shittier newer games like Wildstar that make it seem great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Haha where is that quote from?

• Locked thread