Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Givin posted:

Can't wait to talk about MMORPG balance and how much of a good game SWTOR/FFXIV is in this thread.

Welcome back WIldstar thread. :shrek:

XIV may be awesome but I'm here to read about how Wildstar is being mismanaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bombogenesis posted:

Don't forget that the people they actually got to tour their offices were forced to sign an NDA. I know one of the guys who went and he legitimately WILL NOT talk about it. He knows I can't keep my fat mouth shut. :smith:

I don't blame him, the lawsuit would get them more money than Wildstar subs at this point.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bauxite posted:

Someday goons will realize that no, you don't need an offsite with authentication until the game is established and the goon guild in it becomes actually large, and even then still probably not. Not that it did anything meaningful to the wildstar experience that wildstar itself didn't inflict on us.

But what about the spies?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Valatar posted:

No, what I discovered next is what takes this into the EXTREME zone that everyone knows and loves about Wildstar. So hey cupcakes, we heard you like lockboxes in your lovely cash shop MMOs! So we're making box copies of our game into $40 lockboxes with a random prize item in each one! Buy enough boxes to get all three items and you get a special title, so quickly run down to your local Best Buy and clear the shelves before someone else does! I can only hope that the special title is "Cash Cow".

It gets better. Players are really mad about the big cat mount breaking their immersion

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

VoLaTiLe posted:

Have you even seeen warplots >_>..

That line on top of the launcher made me chuckle everytime because no...nobody ever saw loving warplots.

I did a YouTube search and saw one. Looked like an especially lovely PvP map that expected to be propped up by MOBA elements that didn't actually matter.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I just want an MMO that lets me make a living RMTing.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

the problem is they really wanted the game to appeal to hardcore raiders and then made the endgame so absurd that like .1% of the population has actually done it (or at this point like 10% of the population, depends on their sub numbers i guess)

Wouldn't a higher percentage of the population have cleared it if they're all hardcore raiders?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

"good party composition"

*brings 3 elementalists because top dps*

That isn't even a joke, either. God drat dungeons are so hosed in gw2.

Still? Back at launch the only viable strategy was to run back to the boss after dying and hope the rest of the party could survive until you got back, and that was in full endgame gear. Mostly because you couldn't rely on the evade roll to dodge the bullshit AoEs because they'd happen too often and you'd run out of stamina.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 30, 2015

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

sword_man.gif posted:

actually you'll find he's still well accepted in online communities due to his talents of being able to spend upwards of eight hours a day grinding in an mmo

Are EVE goons that desperate for space wool?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Schubalts posted:

Trion happened, along with people realizing just how RNG-driven Archeage is.

And how much emphasis Archeage PvP put on gear locked behind the RNG.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

And Ifrit, Garuda, Ramuh, Titan if you count the heart as an add which is a little silly but whatever. Cloud of Darkness in WoD. Glasya Labelas and Xande in Syrcus. Vassago in Lota. Chrysalis. I will refrain from going into the 5 man dungeons but it is a mechanic that happens a lot.

You forgot Leviathan's balls.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

sword_man.gif posted:

lmao no it wasn't, the threads when it was still wow killer time ate that chua poo poo up

for science, you see, is the pinnacle of comedy and shows how lighthearted the game is and how not serious it's taking itself :)

There are vids of warplots, so I assume they exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjN4075cdfs

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Saxophone posted:

It's more that Wildstar is the North Korea of MMOs. The poor saps that are still left are brainwashed and Carbine keeps going "Yeah, of course everything is great! WE love you, unlike those CASUAL games like WoW..." Meanwhile the entire rest of the world looks on and simultaneously feels pity and gets a laugh at just how completely absurd they're being.

Excellent horse-like lady with ruined teeth

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

desudrive posted:

I feel ya. The only difference is that Aion never got better.

It got better earnings than Wildstar.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

RottenK posted:

what if someone somehow combined a moba with an mmo

Have you seen warplots?

They look really boring.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

This is still better than the actual FFXIV thread, where people cry about how preview trailers are full of spoilers.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Xavier434 posted:

Yup. Even the "best" software by the most popular companies have mountains of code like this and no one has a clue. This is one of my favorite programming articles of all time and I have yet to meet a seasoned programmer who agrees with any less than 90% of what it says. It is also a hilarious read so enjoy.

Programming is Hell

Whenever that article says "unicorn", I assume this is what they mean.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

biznatchio posted:

Why the hell would they burn their media capital now, when F2P is still months away? Whoever is in charge of PR at Carbine should be dragged out into the street and shot; all of those potential players that they might have actually lured in thanks to the announcement headlines on the top of every gaming news source are going to have completely forgotten about the game when it finally actually is F2P, and good loving luck getting those headlines again with what will be old news by then.

Don't. Announce. Until. It's. Ready.

It's so they can hold a F2P "beta".

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Has anyone said Mildstar?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Hardcore cannot fail, it can only be failed

Im sure this is something the previous ceo at carbine believed before being removed from the position kicking and screaming

If you aren't willing to spend thousands of dollars on a game you must not want it to succeed.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The movie Teeth would've been more scary if it were about Franbunny's mouth.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Pierson posted:

Apparently there is now a fairly successful private server where this magic still happens.

As opposed to the dozens of unsuccessful ones?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Lol at the first guy going to Riot.

They hired the idiot who used to CM for Star Trek Online, so they'll hire anyone.

Byolante posted:

There is this belief among some devs that the Totalbiscuits of the world talk for the majority of casuals and want elitist raiding content they never get to see because it gives them something to aspire to.

Those players are the people who will complain the hardest about a fight they've never done being nerfed or a pointlessly long grind being lessened, crying about the game going too casual. The Wildstar fanbase.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It might be fun to goonrush the game and annoy everyone in the main town until we get banned.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

down with slavery posted:

One, it was before the rise of Thottbot/ data mining (it did happen later in EQs lifetime but not until expansion 4-5, before then it was just community sites where people shared information, scoping out those sites for the level 40-50 mobs that people had screenshotted and written down loot for was AWESOME)

Age of Wushu kind of had that feel because the quests for ultra-rare goods were all hidden behind the equivalent of Gen 1 Pokemon urban legends and it was difficult to data mine because the code was in Chinese. Shame it was the worst localization I'd seen until ArcheAge came along.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

WarLocke posted:

GW2 is the game in which they would patch in new content and then remove it 2 weeks later, for it to never return again.

gently caress GW2.

I quit around the first time they did that. I'd been getting sick of endgame monsters having too much health and taking forever to kill, then crab island came and they were even worse.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Oh yeah, Wildstar still exists. Whatever happened to the Wildstar thread?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Could be worse, you could be the Star CItizen OP.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It doesn't exist here.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

orcane posted:

I'm having flashbacks to when Lineage 2 was #2 on that MMO subscription ranking website and WoW had just launched. Yes the numbers are insane, but who cares - only people with brain damage are going to play these games in the "West" because they're even worse than the usual terrible MMO of the year.

The western Lineage market would rather play MOBAs these days.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

-Inu- posted:

NCSOFT's Q2 2015 numbers are out.

:laffo:

The best part is that the morons on reddit are saying the numbers are so low because people are waiting for F2P. F2P will save the game. I wonder what it's like to live in such a state of delusion.

edit: Yeah the tertiary/warforged stats in WoW are a complete nonissue and are in no way relatable to the idiotic itemization in Wildstar.

Every other game on that list did better than Q1, Wildstar's the only one that went down. Even with the humble bungle, even with the F2P open beta.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Stay safe from Poverty Ghost, Cyster.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Since he's a manager can he reassign Timetraveller.

Bashiok please reassign Timetraveller to Blade and Souls. :getin:

Community Manager. Basically a paid forum mod, pretty much as low as you can get on the corporate ladder. It comes with the mindless worship of the people who post on the official forum.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mormon Star Wars posted:

He said "Content Manager," that's still a forum mod position?

Darn it.

Depends on the job description. It's generally in the same area; working as the editor for the news announcements on the website, making sure the website is working properly, maintaining the official social media accounts, basically being the person in charge of the company's public face because the company shouldn't be the kind of people who post winner.gif.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Deki posted:

You're a stronger person than me, since if I had to have that kind of job, it'd probably end in homicide-suicide.

I'd probably get fired for heckling.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

We at least have the excuse that it's not dead yet and there might be further idiocy happening between then and now.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I doubt F2P will draw enough of the kind of people who'd want to queue for a warplot.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wish they'd put the next bit of content out faster. Two endgame dungeons isn't enough.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

more like dICK posted:

For what it's worth, the expansion made it possible to do low level dungeons without level syncing, so its definitely possible for friends to blow through dungeons for you.

It was already possible before the expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

No it wasn't, the ability to ignore level syncs and go into a level 15 dungeon as a level 50 or 60 was added in 3.0. Of course that bit of content is added for everyone and not just for expansion havers.

Three or seven people with endgame gear could easily carry a newbie through the quest dungeons easy. The only hard ones were the last two fights and the second one got nerfed hard because it was the last mandatory instance before the expansion.

• Locked thread