Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I knew this thread was going come back once F2P was imminent and I didn't disappoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I want to see a post mortem of everything that has happened on this game since its inception to its inevitable f2p demise. It will be great to hear all the horror stories from someone in the inside.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Thanks for reminding me that all their patch and promotional events were scheduled to directly compete against WoW's patching/expansion schedule. They honestly thought they could compete.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Back to interrupt armor, its a shittier version of another NCSoft game idea, which was B&S boss armor mechanic. The difference being that B&S had mostly 5 man dungeons and you needed just another person to break through the CC armor. Hell "support" classes could trigger armor breaks by themselves by doing two CC abilities in a row. While Wildstar didnt really teach you the mechanic, B&S took you through a story quest where an NPC would trigger the armor break for you to exploit or you'd never clear it.

This is a loving korean game that came out like 2 years before wildstar came out.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pierson posted:

Holy poo poo. B&S is Blade and Soul right? Did it ever come out over here because that's something I would love to throw at least a month's sub into on the promise of being able to Inazuma Drop assholes.

You have to download the chinese version because NCSoft never bothered localizing it.

Or the japanese one actually, it went f2p recently

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 25, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

That was the game with the race of half-dressed eight-year-olds, right? And there was a whole little teacup storm when they toned down the naked child butt for the US release?

That was Tera. B&S midget race is not compromised of just little girls you can make little boys, little adults and little old people plus its your only escape from the games massive hard on for huge thighs.

Also enjoy picking them if you want a force master that isnt a woman, summoner since no other race can make them or their version of swordmaster since its unique to them.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

croutonZA posted:

So, when Carbine stopped doing the monthly content updates thing, why wasn't that a big deal to people? I mean sure, realistically they were talking out of their rear end and they were never, ever going to keep that up but I remember it being a big feature when they were promoting the game and a major justification for having a subscription in the first place. Usually people get batshit mad when companies go back on their promises like that.

Also, NCSoft should've just localised B&S and saved themselves millions on this piece of poo poo game.

By the time they went full tilt into damage control caused by their own patches most people that bought into wildstar had already left and the people still in it were so deep inside their own asses that they didn't care.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The thing is that NCSoft knew from the start that B&S wasn't your typical korean MMO. Its very streamlined and westernized to the point that most koreans put it in the same block as WoW when it comes to describing MMOs (when you are signing up for betas they'll have games like Lineage 1/2, RO, etc in one side and WoW, B&S, BD in another). Hell when it came out there was backlash from a bunch of koreans that it was too streamlined. Funny thing because now days really hardcore kMMOs are really rare.

B&S was one of NCsofts biggest earners because of how popular it is in china and its continued success it korea. Having a few servers guys, a few community managers and a few translators working on it would have generated them a whole lot more money than the negative return of investment that wildstar must have given them. Now they might as well not bring it to the states, I dont think people would care about it.

vvvv
In the states? No they dont do well in the states mostly because their well deserved reputation of being grindfests unsuited for the western market. Lineage, Aion and B&S are still successful in korea with B&S being pretty popular in other parts of asia.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 25, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Most of us played the china version which the us version was going to be based on. The clothing is much better and there aren't any swinging pendulums. It still has monster thighs and oily skin

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its hypnotic really, but just seeing it is giving me back pain.

e- If this ever gets a western release I cant wait to see the oforums complain about how they are CENSORING the clothing and breast swinging and how they are going to mod it back to the korean standard.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 26, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Saying that they are moving "towards" wildstar is dumb though because this has been happening at the very least since GW2. In reality the rapid consolidation of skill bars has been happening since WoW started cutting back on hybrid talent builds in WoTLK then locking people entirely out of trees and then just consolidating their abilities based on a role preset.

TSO and Neverwinter both had limited skill bars. B&S had a dynamic skillbar that altered based on followups so you never really saw clutter and things moved a whole lot more dynamically. These three came out long before Wildstar. Black Desert is almost entirely action based where most of your abilities come from how long you press the buttons and the directions you press while doing them.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 30, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

They could have done a lot of things. I'm just saying what they did makes sense in the context of all of the other design decisions they've made.

Glamour's are entirely player driven, which ties into them wanting to give crafters more ways to make money. (particularly in the lower/mid range). Which honestly most of the time a crafter makes money in FFXIV is by making extremely expensive gear that although functional is mostly used to look prettier.

I think the best example of a weird decision that makes sense in context is the relic weapon grind. On a game that isn't really that grindy you have a massive chain of quests with tons of grind. Most people going through the chain hate it. But a single :spergin: going through the chain helps dozens, maybe hundreds of newbies going through content for the first time, directly influencing their quality of life. Its that sort of design thats made FFXIV pretty popular.

On the other side you have games that just fail to retain new blood because their early leveling experience is a wasteland. (Like wildstar)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its always content drying up for people way faster than they can put up and Blizzard's content development cycle stuck in the ice age. People would rather keep playing a game if it has content coming out every few months and not every 6-8.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

e-and Wildstar knew this is an issue so thats why they had a 1 month patch turn over and look how well that went for them :downs:.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

At around 800k of revenue a month I dont think they have much left after operating costs. And I doubt its much to fill in the gaping hole of 6+ years of development costs.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

NCsoft had their forecast for wildstar on the gutter for the rest of the year so if they are doing any plans to revitalize the game they sure as hell dont expect it to succeed.

Speaking about the forecast, a little less revenue and wildstar would have gotten half of what NCsoft was expecting them to get this quarter. It was already trash extremely lowball forecast and it failed to get even that.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 13, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

panda clue posted:

People on r/wildstar have already dissected it. This is pretty much confirmation. FF14 is listed as billingtype "Store or CD Key (10)", while Warframe (f2p game) is "Free on Demand (12)", which is what they set Wildstar to.

Even b2p games are listed as "store" if they are fully integrated to steam. or store/key if they aren't. Stick a :fork: in it, its done

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

noELrunes posted:

https://steamdb.info/app/371920/subs/

more stuff about this.

So will it still be sub, or maybe a tiered system?

Wildstar itself is free on demand. Usually the core app will still be cd/key if it was b2p or p2p. The extra keys are probably packages similar to how some f2p games hand out a cdkey when you buy a steam bundle, like Marvel Heroes does.

vvvv
Probably first time offenses and they probably think they have a good way of detecting to get repeat offenders. A few were perms.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 14, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im pretty sure I remember reading a long time ago that the elin/popori weren't really designed with male audience in mind (in korea I mean). Cutesy characters are almost always marketed to women there. But kTERA being full accurate hitbox based and the elin's having somehow greater reach (do to their animations) than the other races caused min/maxers to gravitate toward them. So naturally the elin became the dominant species in Arborea.

B&S Lyn are similarly designed toward that cutesy market but taken even further. Look at how the summoners (Lyn unique class) were originally going to be during their concept video and then how they turned out when they came out. Look at the korean marketing for B&S around the summoners launch, its not really targeted at guys. They have access to the simplest classes to play and their version of swordmaster was retooled to be simpler to use from the other race versions. Sort of feeds into the stereotype that girls need easier and cuter classes.

I dont think that dude that showed up in the wildstar thread is real though. If B&S really was in F&F more info should have been coming out about its released. I'm sure ncsoft's success with the game in asia probably stirred them to take another look but I doubt they are moving expediently. But I really want it to get here, with the harmonization patch forced on, just to see the shitfest the oforums will be :allears:

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 14, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pesterchum posted:

It doesn't matter if it does because the louder masses will just say it failed because it wasn't hardcore enough or some other bullshit reason.

Hardcore cannot fail, it can only be failed

Im sure this is something the previous ceo at carbine believed before being removed from the position kicking and screaming

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'm guessing that if f2p doesn't provide at least a 20 fold increase of earnings wildstar will just be shutdown. Seriously less than 600k in revenue a month? Is this right? They have to be paying their employees with peanuts.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

sword_man.gif posted:

is that gross or profit

because one is way, way worse

Its just sales so its gross.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

It's gross.

So yeah that shakes out to slightly more than half a million a month in gross income before expenditures.

Unless Carbine is ten dudes or less who aren't being paid very well, Wildstar is hemorrhaging money at this point.

edit: check that, my math was silly

carbine could probably support 20 or even 30 people on that monthly income!

(maybe)

If you count things like utilities and office space then they wouldn't be able to support 20 mid salary employees with 600k in revenue and last I heard they ballooned in size before getting axed down some. I think they still had somewhere between 100 and 150 employees.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

https://twitter.com/micahwhipple/status/628234799535165442

Micah Whipple is former Blizzard CM Bashiok. Discuss.

He had the qualifications to be the CM for any company though, and picked Carbine for some god forsaken reason. Guy probably wants a break and figures a very small community is preferable than another huge one, regardless of how dumb and vitriolic it is.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Maybe they'll kill the wildstar servers and use them for B&S :tinfoil:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Wonder Turbine posted:

To be fair, Age of Wushu was less "hardcore" and more "bugged to poo poo and back."

Yeah at no point running any of the instances was I confident that we were doing it the right way. That was chinagame in a nutshell.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I can understand why they would add it but its terribly short sighted. Like sure it encourages dps to not take damage but just about every instance relies on some form of AoE damage thats usually unavoidable just so that healers get more engagement. This is just gonna make it so healers get more flack, and healers already get the most flack out of anyone in the party.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

General MMO guideline usually has dps behind or to the side of the mobs anyways because cleaves are a thing so thats not much of an issue.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I could read 93 pages of a thread with varying degrees of extremely-to-moderately outdated information... Oh man, you are totally right!

Are you fine playing an MMO with varying degrees of extremely to moderately outdated design decisions? If so then Wildstar is the game for you!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kessel posted:

It's not like there's anything Wildstar-y to discuss

You could instead talk about another ncsoft property thats made a lot of money thats finally getting a western release. It cost them a fraction to localize of what they spent on carbine finally releasing this abortion of an MMO and it will probably make more money because of kung fu and big shiny thighs

Yes blade and soul is finally getting a US release and beta starts around the same time wildstar f2p officially launches.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Deki posted:

Hey guess what, people still died to it. Repeatedly. Nothing i can do as a tank to mitigate people standing in fire and stuff.

Actually, as a tank, you could stun ifrit before he finished casting the eruptions so the dps wouldn't even need to move out of the way. And even if they get hit, story ifrit has such poo poo damage that a healer can heal through it. So it seems that everyone in your party was retarded, even you.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Class imbalance in Warhammer was the dumbest thing because you had two different people handling each of the factions balance. So the poo poo in the order side was almost always far stronger than the chaos one. Then for some reason the only class that was legitimately stronger on chaos than on order side, the witch elf, was nerfed to the ground and its order counter part was buffed to the skies, stronger at 1v1 than any other class in the game.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

No reset conditions is hat caused people to stay 18 hours trying to kill PW in ffxi. Its archaic design and it was done waway with for a reason, much like all of wildstar

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If anything the crop of hybrid action MMOs thats been coming out in the last few years have confirmed that I would much rather have a solid tab targetting mmo than a half baked "action" one. And just about all of them have been half baked.

Good thing B&S had had time to mature before coming out here, its combat wrecks all of thems.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

BadLlama posted:

I thought pve in elder scrolls didn't care about faction? Restricting people for pve content is loving dumb your RP can eat a dick.

People started in geografic areas that were completely inacceisble to the other faction till they finished the main story. Dont know whether or not that changed. Guilds were trade groups and they were faction blind.

TSW was one of the few games were factions didnt penalize them by splitting them up while actually adding some flavor to each. A few faction specific quests and how the handlers replied on quests, which were pretty amusing.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Were these just starter zones or were they split up the entire way to the cap?

The main story would get you into the soft cap and then you could go to the other faction areas to grind for prestige which was another horrible grind.

They were entirely different instanced areas, as far as I saw it there wasnt a way to get there till you finish the main story.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Chyea posted:

Having people required to do the entirety of a game's main story before even allowing them into expansion zones really is not ideal game design. Having them just kill the important bosses or even watch a bunch of cutscenes is enough.

They already mentioned that the next expansion is going to have an abridge version of the story quests for people to catch up on. Give people enough of the story for them to understand whats happening and how it ties to the world so things aren't lost in follow up quests. Like having my alter ego tell a quest giver that I'm sick of his poo poo and I should have left Leviathan drown him and the rest of the city in 2.1

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah see "high end players" are not where the money gets made, I regret to inform you. If the focus of your content is something that repels a majority of your playerbase then you're going to have problems. Not to say hard content has no place, but seriously Wildstar is a prime example (one among many) of what happens once the honeymoon's over and you're left with lovely, gimmicky unfun content that nobody wants to do.

this has always been the more likely scenario as far as I've ever seen

Wildstars problem was that it used archaic designs on an already niche market. 20 man and 40 mans on a game that has factions and segregated servers, servers that had further rules like pvp or rp. The players were too fractured to sustain that sort of end game. Tackle in the huge barrier of entry to get in and it gets even worse. Plus its instances were crap and unrewarding. So the only thing the casual populace could do in the game was play house.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Harrow posted:

They weren't at first, but they kind of are now. People have generally learned that if you play the dungeons the way they were intended, they're hard, but if you stack in a corner, blast fire fields for Might, and spam your DPS skills, they're extremely easy. You barely even need to be coordinated to pull that off. The dungeon paths people dislike are the ones that are either long, or don't let you brute force them.

Fractals remain pretty tricky at times, because they often won't let you do that, but not in a consistently fun way, unfortunately.

The thing is that people dont run instances because its fun in GW2, the instance design is probably some of the worst in the industry. They do it because they want to farm for their dungeon sets to play pretty princess or to get money to trade for other pretty princess gear.

Which is not much different than running instances to get better stat gear honestly, but being as bad as they are its just more tedious and more broken of an experience than in other games where the dungeons are actually fun/challenging in the right ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Seriously savage content is like 1% of the game and the rate which it updates is once every 6 months. In that time you used to get 6 more high level 4 mans, 1 more 24 man raid, 2 new beast tribes with daily quests, 2 new 8 man bosses, a slew of story quests that progressed it to where it eventually leads to an expansion. Not to mention the other things they added in between.

This isn't a massive set piece that accounts for the majority of the content that a patch has like in other MMOs.

• Locked thread