Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

I really think WAR (and probably any PvP focused MMO) shouldn't have used a level based system. Level grinding should be for PvE experiences. In a PvP game levels take too much focus off the fight and act as unwelcome population separators. Everyone should be in the same pool, EVE and Planetside got it right.

Eve does have a level based system though, where it takes a very long time to catch up to older players in effectiveness even for easier roles. I do agree that they got it largely right, and there are plenty of avenues for "lower level" characters to be useful in pvp, but that's largely by virtue of the combat being asymmetric by design. It wouldn't work if fights in eve were battlegrounds with even numbers (such as the various tournaments where contenders are generally maxed in all relevant skills for their role).

I'm not sure what a pvp mmo without progression would look like, since its so fundamental to the genre. How would it be different from non-MMO pvp games like TF2 or MOBAs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

So you'd prefer your PVP to be gear, or some progression metric based thing vs. everyone being on an equal playing field? Interesting :q:

I'd view it as a necessary evil if the game is focused on persistent characters which increase in power through gameplay. If you remove that progression you're left with an entirely different kind of game.

I can appreciate that you prefer pvp where all parties are equal in power, but power progression is the entire hook of the MMO genre, and people find it compelling.

The problem can be mitigated if pvp is asymmetric in ways other than character progression - e.g. not necessarily having equal numbers on both sides. That seems a better way of solving the problem in power progression games, rather than simply saying "power progression games shouldn't exist / shouldn't have pvp".

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

I'd say the watershed where GW stopped being hobbyists and started becoming capitalist exploiters of the nerd class was late 1987, when they began excluding other companies games from their retail outlets, and their inhouse publication went from general RPG/tabletop stuff to being a glossy advert for overpriced warmans. Everything since then was just a continuation of the general trend.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

Power progression in PVP is bad, end of story.
If you mean "I do not like this thing", that's a totally valid and understandable point of view.

If you mean "This type of game which many people enjoy is inherently objectively bad" then I can't take that seriously.

Asymmetry can be an interesting factor in competitive games, and power progression games are a natural way of exploring those possibilities.

PVP between perfectly balanced parties is cool and good, but I don't see why you'd advocate for it in games where the motivation loop is based on power progression. There are plenty of pvp games which do not depend on power progression to provide that kind of experience. Why make the PVP element of an MMO into an entirely separate progression-less MOBA-like experience, when you can just play MOBAs instead?

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

jjac posted:

This came off as absolutely sincere until you recommended playing a MOBA. Nice try.

I've never actually played a MOBA :ohdear:

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Performance issues were more a product of the pretty awfully coded UI, with CPU being the bottleneck rather than GPU.

And yeah it did suck on AMD cards, but tbh that was more AMD's fault than it was Carbine's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

malhavok posted:

So what's the OP pvp class? wait... is there pvp?

Class balance was actually pretty tight when I stopped playing about a year ago. A quick look at their pvp forums doesn't show any prominent class whine threads at the moment, there's a couple saying DPS medics are currently a bit strong in arenas but if it was a significant advantage there'd be pages and pages of crying.

Wildstar pvp is pretty fun IMO. Levelling characters with battlegrounds was pretty viable in the months after launch, and I'd expect it to be the same for the next couple of months after the F2P release.

hit button fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 29, 2015

• Locked thread