Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
My god. The Wildstar thread is back. Closing the last one was a terrible idea. It was great entertainment. You can't get TV with this much drama and hilarious pants on head stupidity in it nowadays. Even reality TV doesn't come close. :allears:

What scheme will the devs get up too this time? Who will be scammed into a sub? Can they stop mean old Mr. NCSoft from shutting down the servers? Tune in next post to find out!

Edit: Fun fact. That marauder outfit appears to be same outfit they were handing out for beta participation. They couldn't even give a unique cosmetic outfit for dropping $40 on the game. It's the most :effort: attempt at loving people over i've seen out of a MMO in awhile.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Lyer posted:

It's not that the devs didn't support it, it's that the support they did give was terrible

I'm also glad this thread is back. Oddly enough there's less bickering in this than the actual schaedenfreud thread in pyf

Yeah. If this thread sticks around it will inevitably get bogged down in shitposts at some point in the future, but if you're just now reading about this game never forget this. This game could have been great. It certainly has a unique art style and theme going for it. The image and style it presented was way ahead of the poo poo you get out of most MMO's. That's about it though.

The problem is the devs were the sort of people who think a regressive and content devoid ball busting end game circa Everquest was acceptable material in today's market. This was aided by the ~hardcore raiding~ (Read: Guilds that couldn't cut it in other games due to being dickheads or simply poo poo.) community creating an echo chamber on their forums during and after beta.

When called on this by their actual base of consumers they doubled down and chased off most people with a terrible release and PR response. Then eventually even tripled down on it by loving with their base of hardcore raiders by going more hardcore than what many of their hardcore guilds thought was sane or acceptable. See the example of them hot-tuning raid bosses to make them unbeatable and their PR guys mocking the few guilds that did win a raid as an example.

The developers absolutely brought this poo poo on themselves and their every response to it only keeps getting funnier.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 16, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

I'll give that spergy poster that I quoted a little credit. They are right that unless Carbine nerfs their game a lot then the business model does not matter. People will try the game because it is "free" or B2P but they will quit soon after that because of the wall they will slam into which amounts to WS's end game.

Even the leveling game isn't that fun.

It's like WoW's old leveling game. Except it's dreadful as gently caress since it takes so long to level. Plus, the game world is stupidly deadly for everything except balls to the walls DPS classes. Either you're terrified of more than one mob aggroing you at once or you're a ridiculous kiting murder machine. And sometimes that doesn't even hold up since the zones are sprinkled with what are basically elite mobs that will loving end you in a straight fight without a lot of acrobatics.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 16, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Capntastic posted:

HAhaha I didn't hear about this, is there more to it?

Something else that didn't get mentioned:

Just to rub the salt into the wound they gave people like a 10% XP bonus on the rerolled characters. Because when you're forcing someone to replay the leveling game while your guild is kept waiting so they can fill that spot in the raid, 10% XP will fix everything. They had might as well just have given them nothing for all that it mattered.

It was the sort of bullshit consolation prize that had a few people cracking up and raging on here. Especially since Carbine's response was basically "GG Cupcake!" to the issue.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 17, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

sword_man.gif posted:

don't forget that some carbine dudes were present at blizzcon badge pickup to promote a tour of carbine studios with goody bags from a literal dollar store

And they showed up in a creepy van no less from what I recall from one poster.

Because nothing says that you're good trustworthy people like showing up at a game convention and saying "Hop into my van and i'll give you free goodies and a tour of my studio!".

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Really, the worst thing they did was cater so hard to the "hardcore" demographic with their PR. Now every time they gently caress up an element of the game design it gets attributed to a hardcore mentality on the design staff now. This is even if it was just a badly planned feature instead of intended to be hardcore. People are just going to assume that's how the game was supposed to be designed instead of it being a shittily planned feature at release that could be patched later on.

I'm betting that outside of folks like Timetraveler everyone left in management is making GBS threads their pants at the failing state of the game at the moment. Plenty of MMO's have plenty of lovely release day features that get patched out later, along with rough periods. Now, even if they do fix the game up a bit they've chased off most of their consumers and left themselves with a ridiculously militant P2P favoring lunatic base. So even if they fix a lot of the poo poo that chases people off they're still going to alienate a portion of their base.

I bet a fair number of people in the company are praying F2P takes well enough that they can regain some of the trust and larger consumer base they've lost. If only because if they fix all the horrid grinding, bad UI elements, and all the other poo poo in the game after that particular population boom the game is pretty much done for no matter what they do.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 20, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

cthulhoo posted:

e: My only 40 man raiding experience is anniversary MC40 and it was absolutely hilarious. That's my raiding story thanks and god bless.

Anniversary MC40 was beautiful in that it was a celebration of shared suffering. Forty hateful masochists joined together in pursuit of a mount and loot that will be impossible to get for years to come. The majority of which knowing full well that the experience was going to be a living hell and probably waste of hours of their life.

In a way, it was actually a bit of a community building exercise. Most of the runs I ended up on had people reach a feverish peak of hatred and desire to inflict misery on the other players in the raid. Only to snap and suddenly become sociable when they were pushed so far into their frustration that it just didn't matter any more to them. At that point they either dropped out of the raid or the sunk cost fallacy kicked in and they started casually shooting the poo poo with people while everyone else slowly caught up to the same realization they had.

It was a bit terrifying/amazing to watch, really. Blizzard created one of the best reminders on the market as to why old school raiding is dead. And they did it by simply updating one of their old dungeons to the current max level.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 20, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

i am tim! posted:

It's kinda sad how evidently true this is, as reading over the forums I AM seeing a lot of angsting about B2P/F2P in the form of "But when we open up the gates, all of these PEOPLE will come in and ruin our EXCLUSIVE AND UNIQUE COMMUNITY!" I swear some of these people believe if they cry hard enough their tears will save the game.

To be fair, in any opening day F2P scenario these people are such a minority that they would get drowned out by all the new players. The odds of them chasing anyone off are slim to none. It's probably more the opposite, really.

Picture one man angsting over the game in the midst of a sea of prospective new players. If F2P does come they'll be pretty much relegated back to being "that rear end in a top hat that no one wants to group with" within a few days assuming they don't change their attitude.

Though perhaps that explains one of the reasons why some of them don't want it to happen. It's hard to be a special snowflake when there are much more sociable people who can do what you do.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Bauxite posted:

I did MC40 once as a warrior tank. I hosed up and pulled a second pack of magma hounds with heroic leap but everyone thought it was just funny and we didn't actually wipe. By the time we got to rag we were all yelling the names of our attacks in chat like it was dragon ball Z because you go more than a little insane in that environment.

If you didn't approach the MC40 instance as a "get drunk and laugh at this awful instance/these awful people" experience than you were probably doing it wrong.

quote:

If it was only timetraveler who was being a grognard idiot, they would have shouted him down by now because the overwhelming evidence is that they need to change the direction their game is going and that doubling down on HARDCORE was a big mistake. There probably are some people in Carbine hoping for a f2p switch and a change in direction, but I doubt many of them are in any positions of authority.

It's debatable whether the bugs or being HARDCORE drove away more people, but I'm guessing most people were driven away by both. That's a pretty potent cocktail of lovely game design and execution.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that Time_Traveler is the only one in the company who is an idiot when it comes to this. But they're either moving towards shutting the game down or F2P. A sane business plan would indicate the latter. Not that the Carbine devs have always acted in a sane manner when it comes to doing business.

As for the bugs and "hardcore" (Read: Tedious as poo poo.) gameplay, it was probably a mix of both. I could have dealt with the bugs, but the gameplay itself was just abysmal. Especially the grinding. Dear god. What the gently caress. Who thought the amount of grinding in this game was acceptable?

The mobs I encountered felt like they were overtuned to take way too long to kill, the quests gave minimal XP for the amount of effort I put into many of them, and the game itself is just poorly paced in many areas. I never even bothered to hit the cap. Which is something for me since I tend to have a lot of patience with games like this.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 20, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Eonwe posted:

that was the weirdest thing to me

Wildstar seemed like the perfect game to make you feel like a badass

The non boss stuff should be you clowning on mobs and doing cool stuff

instead you just used all those moves with cool AOE ranges and stuff to just fight like one or two mobs that would kick your rear end, so they might as well not even have interesting moves or an action focus combat system

This is kind of what I was getting at. You've got this highly mobile action oriented combat system to go with the cartoon feel of the game yet if you get more than one or two full fledged mobs on you it often just falls apart.

Honestly, it feels like they wanted to do something less orthodox and said the gently caress with it halfway through.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 20, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

ContraceptiveCereal posted:

NCSoft MOBA/Dungeon Crawler apparently.

Ahaha. Jesus christ. It's Warhammer Online all over again. Except Warhammer Online was actually kind of good at times before they just stopped giving a poo poo.

At least they were smart enough not to split their own development resources into a frigging MOBA.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

If you want a laugh check out any website that documents all the unique outfits in the game. Then compare the number of outfits available to other games.

That cake is empty joke up above really is spot on. There's like maybe a tenth of what any other MMO offers. They couldn't even get the pretty princessing customization poo poo that every MMO figured out brings people in right!

Edit: I mean poo poo. Even WoW and EQ got that people like to customize their characters. That's just downright shameful.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 17, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Deki posted:

if Carbine wasn't imploding (or if lovely management wasn't _the_ problem), they could probably salvage something from this. After all, I remember City of Heroes being a loving buggy mess the first year or so and that managed to last quite a bit in the end.

City of Heroes was more than just a loving buggy mess at first. It was pretty godawful in multiple ways. It's the only game that i've given away to a family member since I was sure it would always being so loving unfun.

Of course then they turned that poo poo right around and it became awesome again. So I guess the lesson here is to never try to recoup my losses when it comes to MMO purchases. Or to pawn my Wildstar account off to a friend and watch as the game suddenly dethrones WoW from out of nowhere. :v:

I'd say that Star Trek Online was a good comparison of a game that turned itself around in the modern day MMO market. But the newest lead dev tanked that game all over again. So I don't know if the analogy even works anymore.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 17, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

John Dyne posted:

Nothing says 'thriving community' like a caption contest with only 46 comments.

Yes that is apparently the best screenshot the guy could get.

I can practically feel the edge coming off this image.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Mormon Star Wars posted:

They are making an unironically good change by putting the overland (leveling) challenge mobs with interrupt armor in caves instead of spread all around the questing area.

Hahaha. Holy poo poo. They're finally fixing that?

Nothing like all of your attacks having a chance to draw aggro on some ridiculous mob that can butcher you when you're not at full HP or are in the middle of a fight with an actual quest objective.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

AlmightyBob posted:

Surprise! They kill WIldstar and use it's servers to bring back City of Heroes

Which would be incredibly ironic given the fact that City of Heroes servers are apparently being used for Wildstar's infrastructure.

Edit: Oh come on, not everyone knows that hilarious tidbit. They wouldn't get it otherwise.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 4, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Pesterchum posted:

I think that particular gossip ended up being bullshit.

There was a screenshot posted somewhere that showed the servers being up on the login client but with no capability to make a proper connection. I think maybe on the fan forums that are obsessed about the game?

It might have gotten reposted in the SA thread at some point. But ahahaha gently caress you if you think you're going to retain your sanity wading through who knows how many pages of rage and nostalgia just to find it. Not that I can blame them. I know a few people who still want that game to come back and will happily bitch about its closure at the drop of a hat.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Anoia posted:

I will stop spreading that CoH server rumor when former CoH players stop getting upset about the very idea.

This. Even if it's not true (And the idea that the hardware was transplanted wholesale is unlikely.) it's still amazingly funny. Especially if someone played Wildstar and saw what an ungodly mess it turned out to be.

I mentioned the screenshot to a friend way back and they looked like they were about to start foaming at the mouth. CoH players are the best. :allears:

It almost makes me glad I gave my account away when the game sucked in the early years. It must have been like digital crack to provoke that sort of a reaction.

SumYungGui posted:

SWG got an emulator and that was a huge, complicated mess to be made from ground zero. As many people as I see clinging to CoH's corpse I'm kind of surprised that hasn't happened yet.

From checking out the thread every now and then people are busy with it. They're basically recoding the game from scratch. They've got the zones, costume creator, and chat system up. So it's basically just a gigantic city sized lobby for virtual cosplayers at the moment.

Somehow I don't see anyone doing that for Wildstar 2+ years on after it's gone in its current state.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 4, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

The Chairman posted:

I think Carbine is reading this thread -- the public test realm went up today, and one of the changes is replacing the taxi with instant travel

But where will I get my witty one liners now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Mizuti posted:

This is nitpicky, but I've seen this picture before and something about it puzzles me. Are those supposed to be earrings? They wouldn't work with the rabbit ears.

Sure they would. She has normal ears too underneath the eighties hair. The rabbit ears are vestigial. Think of it like a spleen for weeaboos.

• Locked thread