Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

I'll give that spergy poster that I quoted a little credit. They are right that unless Carbine nerfs their game a lot then the business model does not matter. People will try the game because it is "free" or B2P but they will quit soon after that because of the wall they will slam into which amounts to WS's end game.

Even if they tone down the difficulty, the end game was buggy, grindy and unrewarding as gently caress which they probably haven't changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Kasp0021 posted:

Wildstar seems to be getting criticized pretty harshly recently, but for me it's kinda hard to see specifically what people are actually angry about, since opinions are all over the place.
Is the entire Wildstar thing just a heaping pile of hot excrement or is it something else?
Is "The Game" the major problem, because I kinda liked it (Except for the raids) and spent quite a lot of time happily blazing through the story arcs and dungeons with my pals.
I think I'm starting to sidetrack, anyhow. What would you guys say is the main killer behind this entire Wildstar affair?
Is the game design poo poo?
No content?
Is the developer making their users bend over backwards?
Other things?

The cool things the game had (housing, shiphands, alright-ish combat, quirky art direction) were wasted by a terrible client and backend, dull as gently caress quest (and path and challenge) design, moronic itemization, poo poo writing, zero QoL features and designers/managers who think TBC era WoW is the holy MMO grail. The game was pushed out unfinished and strangled by a management team full of spergs.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Vermain posted:

It was a game that was designed for, and specifically catered to, elitists with a massive sense of sneering entitlement and disdain for "casual players." The fact that it's imploding is cause for celebration.

Sucks that it pulled some cool things down with it but it's a good thing it failed, yeah.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Reminder that Steamboxes run Linux. Reminder that Wildstar's client runs on spit and prayers and all the people who originally worked on it have left months ago.

Father Wendigo posted:

This is now the most enjoyable game I've never played.

Wildstar is the Xbox One of MMOs.

noELrunes posted:

The bigger news is that apparently Blade and Soul is in family & friends beta.

get rid of wildstar and use their server space for that game.

That game looks pretty cool, not sure why it took so long for them to start on a western release.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Byolante posted:

Probably the gigantic titted children in g strings

:stare: What the gently caress Korea

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

We've definitely come a long, long way from the days of waiting a couple of months for the launch dust to settle. There are still bugs at launch, and generally what you see in beta is what you'll see live, but you don't often see the same kind of cataclysmic pants-around-ankles fuckery.

Do the base UI modules still crash all the time because I bet they do.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Ramadu posted:

Your computer is bad and you should feel bad. Friends don't let friends AMD. (At the moment their stuff is poo poo compared to Intel/Nvidia)

The GPUs are fine and usually a good deal cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Rexicon1 posted:

I'm amazed do at all the sickbrained people who are seriously considering going back to wildstar because of "oh my house" or whatever. There are ten of thousands of ways to spend your life. Do anything else besides play wildstar. Literally anything.

When the f2p conversion was announced, I downloaded the game for shits and giggles because I'm a moron (a reoccuring theme) and didn't check the date. Upon finding a 10 day trial on my account, I did what every tcc goon would do with a powdery substance of questionable origin and stuck it in my butt.

I play MMOs like huge as gently caress open world singleplayer games with the MMO part being a neat bonus and generally don't care about the endgame because running the same instances over and over quickly gets dull. I played the beta but I only saw bits of the four Dominion newbie zones and Everstar Woods with a bit of Celestion split about evenly over a Spellslinger, Esper and Engineer, so I picked an Exile Human Esper mostly for the soundtrack but also because the Dominion plot flips between wacky and serious in the dumbest ways and while I generally don't mind the Chua monkey cheese as much, Dominion goes :regd08: on that.

The game still doesn't run that well considering the graphics, but they have fixed the terrible microstuttering at some point. The UI is still pretty terrible but it doesn't constantly crash and run like poo poo anymore, admittedly not exactly a high bar. Pumping shift to get anywhere still sucks, should've just made 30% faster speed baseline out of combat. Early combat feels alright, much better than low levels in WoW and FFXIV. Mobs have a short aggro range which is great, but enemy density is far too high which sucks when you want to climb things and explore. The Northern Winds plot hook was extremely flat ( oh no, people died, also my wife :geno: ), especially compared to Everstar Grove which was neat and worked well, I thought. Challenges seem to have been reworked to be less poo poo, most were easy enough to not demand your full attention while being short enough to not feel like a drag and there's no penalty for just dropping them and doing them later. The automatic start still is dumb as gently caress though, especially for races. In the 7-14 zone you're dropped down right next to a mountain range and huge floating chunks of rock and given a 10x jump boost and it's great. Feels like they could have done more with it, the verticality and mobility are by far the most enjoyable things about this game. Explorer path stuff is neat and you get to triple jump early on, the other paths might not even exist. The quests are boring but they're inoffensive enough that I sort of complete them in the background while getting the hang of combat and climbing things. Pretty princess dress-up is actually pretty decent right now. They've thrown out the previous systems and now use something like GW2 and Rift (yay!) except you have to pay a small fee to unlock skins (boo!). Dyes are free to unlock (yay!), but cost a small amount on application (boo!).The system works off item names instead of skin tags, so you can accidentally unlock the same skin off of two different items which sucks but is understandable.

The game is clearly not great, but so far I've been... enjoying it? It helps that my expectations are at ground floor, but the early leveling feels alright.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 1, 2015

• Locked thread