Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I am so happy that this thread exists. If they go F2P I am going to download and play this thing on the go live date. I don't actually intend to "play" the game. I just want to soak in the pubbie tears the will be flowing from the map/zone/whatever chat. A few hours in there is worth every megabyte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

You guys need to spend some time in this thread.

quote:

If there aren't enough people on WS, it's because it's way too hardcore for common people.

If NCSoft is going to turn it into a F2P, it means they will want to get more people. But if the game is still too hardcore, they won't get more people; infact they will keep the actual ones but without a sub.

So, if they turn it into a F2P, they will have to lower the game's difficulty.

And WS will fall from "one of the gretest MMO ever" to a "basic F2P".

WS DOESN'T DESERVE IT !

Even if everything leads to think it will be a F2P someday, this will be the worst waste in the gaming industry ever.

<= pure fan of WS who turned his back to every other MMO

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

SpaceDrake posted:

Gotta admit: if the game goes F2P or B2P I would definitely log in just to continue to watch the fall, in all its hilarity. The conversion is going to be a glory to watch, and this game's already provided hours of hilarity just watching it. :allears:

Though if NCSoft just axes the game, that'd be even more amazing.

I'll give that spergy poster that I quoted a little credit. They are right that unless Carbine nerfs their game a lot then the business model does not matter. People will try the game because it is "free" or B2P but they will quit soon after that because of the wall they will slam into which amounts to WS's end game.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

BexGu posted:

It constantly blows my mind how every move Carbine makes is like the complete opposite of Anet and Guild Wars 2.

People who love WS's design and game play direction tend to dislike GW2. This is not a hard rule by any means but let's face it. WS is a game where grinding numbers in a vertical progression system is supposed to be pure ambrosia. GW2 gives nearly no fucks about that at all and mostly cares about pretty princess dress up in a completely horizontal progression system.

These games are opposites if games can be opposites (they can't but whatever).

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Reading through those...man it sounds bad.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Carbine-Studios-Reviews-E587246.htm

Blazing Zero posted:

people never go to glass door to write positive anything hth

Eh..not entirely true but the general rule of thumb applies of course. Most people never take the time to review anything unless they have something to complain about. That is a tradition much older than the life time of anyone on SA.

In contrast, here is ArenaNet's glassdoor which shows a very distinct and positive difference compared to Carbine:

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/ArenaNet-Reviews-E255820.htm

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The parts that stood out the most to me are the relationships between management and the majority of the staff, the blame game crap that happens as opposed to working together to solve problems, the lack of reception to serious critical feedback from their own developers, the general feeling that you have to "take sides" if you work there, and the low morale. A lot of the reviews centered on that sort of stuff.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

My advice: If you are going to get together with your design team and start talking about making an mmo which can be described as "It's like WoW except..." then just quit right there. Do not write one line of code or spend another dollar. Go back to the drawing board.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Verranicus posted:

Haha, the forums are going nuts over there with F2P threads.

What these idiots do not realize is that absolutely nothing they say will make a difference short of campaigning successfully to get a ton of new people to sub to this mmo. It is all about the numbers now and not about the opinions. The numbers probably lean towards favoring f2p and that is not going to change.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

If the glassdoor reviews are accurate then holiday parties were either a let down or barely existed.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Minrad posted:

Man, there's been multiple threads that do nothing except talk about how lovely this game is and yet people constantly post this to fool themselves into thinking they don't just wanna play a bad game. Man up and admit you want to play bad game, or have some self respect for your free time and spend the 15 bucks it takes to get a game on sale on Steam or sub to one of the like, two MMOs that aren't dying right now.

I assure you that my desire to actually play Wildstar for more than a week is almost zero unless they really pull a 180 when they go F2P and the game is actually enjoyable. Crazier things have happened but I don't expect this to be one of those cases. After that, I will go back to playing good video games and "respect my free time" I guess?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

SarutosZero posted:

The only thing missing is exp loss on death.

Dropping your equipment for others to loot upon death.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Pathos posted:

You know, reading this whole thread and the previous one yet not having played Wildstar beyond a 2 hour stint in the beta makes me pretty interested in trying it now. Not because I think it's going to be good -- it's more "Can it really be that bad?" I'm legitimately curious if there's ANY fun to be had in the game or if it's just all this huge shitshow of misery.

One thing that made me quit before the real problems with this game hit me is the combat system. I liked the telegraphs, but the action combat just didn't feel very actiony to me. The enemies felt like they just chased me around all of the time and I was getting hit even though the arc of their weapon swings clearly did not touch me. I was expecting combat in this game to have actual hit boxes that were more precise as well as enemy AI which did more than just stick to me like glue like they do in WoW. I don't know if it gets better later in the game or not. I got bored too fast to find out.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 22, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Valatar posted:

Back in beta I posted on their forum begging them to go play Tera and steal their combat mechanics, because Tera in space with something that isn't a generic Korean mmo setting would be amazing. The other testers replied that Tera wasn't hardcore enough because the attacks involved animation locks.

TERA combat + TERA or GW2 NPC AI (they don't always stick to you) + Wildstar telegraphs would be amazing even if the combat animations did not lock the player into place quite as much as TERA's did.

I also don't understand how committing to one's choices in combat in the form of animation locks is somehow less hardcore. :psyduck:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Even ESO tried to fix their "combat floaty" issues when they went B2P because yeah...it sucked. It still needs improvement imo, but it is a lot better than it used to be and I gotta give them a gold star for that.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Pierson posted:

How is ESO now anyway? I assume as a matter of course they didn't get even close to the totally hosed-up and weird poo poo you can get up to in regular TES games but is there anything at all that distinguishes it from the pack of F/B2P MMOs?

Worth trying now but I would wait for a sale. Worth trying again to see if you like the changes if you bought it already.

Beyond that, check out the ESO thread for the details. It can do better than I can.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

sword_man.gif posted:

"day one miracle patch" was a thing firmly parroted around in the launch w* threads whenever anybody had the sheer gall to point out the numerous flaws the game had

I am not surprised especially since a lot of WS players have had zero prior MMO experience other than WoW and maybe EQ1. I have played enough MMOs, participated in enough betas, and played during enough launches to know that this is almost entirely a myth at least to the point where it should never be expected or relied upon. This is especially true for any issues which involve the core foundation or features of the game. What happens instead is that launch hits, there are lots of problems, and only a fraction of them get fixed over the course of the next 3 months. As for the rest, especially core system problems, it can take a much longer time. Even over a year.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

BigPaddy posted:

By the time the open Beta starts that is usually the state the game will be released in, maybe a few little tweaks but not much else.

and as a developer myself I can totally relate to limiting changes to just small features or critical bugs at that stage. It is just too risky and too late to do anything else before launch.

Of course, that says nothing about choosing to go to open beta before fixing more stuff first. That is often beyond the control of developers though despite protests from both them and the players.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

In general, I find that the challenges which attunements offer are fine as long as they are fun. The problem is what they reward. They gate content and the reward is unlocking that content. I say that they get rid of that reward and replace it with really interesting and unique loot. Make the reward something that is more interesting than high stats.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Normal Adult Human posted:

How do yall feel about the new backwards attunement system where you're able to do any raid at any time except the wall comes from humans who refuse to play with someone who can't link a legendary item created from within that dungeon?

In addition to what Bauxite said, this is not new. It has always existed and it always will in one form or another.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

More like joining a good guild so you can rightfully ignore/make fun of these people. For me, triggering the sperglords is an achievement in itself. It is the best daily quest.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I would have greenlit WS too for the reasons bauxite is saying. Hindsight being 20/20, it was a bad idea but not a bad strategic business decision if that makes any sense. They just hired the wrong team to do it.

Also, B&S totally should have been localized and they should have spent a little extra to make the western version more appetizing to western players. It would have been profitable enough.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Anoia posted:

The RP community is still going, but they're pretty much huddled in bunkers (their plots) loving like bunnies while outside the world is ending.

This is what we Spartans call a glorious death.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Lyer posted:

Said expansion will probably subsidize Wildstar for the next year.

It might be the opposite. Shareholders may see how well NCSoft's other IP is doing and start viewing WS as dead weight.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Anoia posted:

If you missed the "shut up, it's beta, it'll get better" phase of wildstar goons, check out the skyforge thread. It's about the same.

No way. The Skyforge thread is about 10x tamer than Wildstar beta was.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Normal Adult Human posted:

The skyforge thread is full of insane people trying to pretend they arent getting sucked into the most p2w game since the last time those developers released a mmorpg.

Skyforge's in game to real life currency exchange (a la GW2) pretty much relieved me of any p2w concerns that I had. I still understand the complaints, but this makes it all much easier to cope with.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Belzac posted:

You see, because I can trade normal currency for the p2w currency that means it's not p2w.

That is not what I said.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

If it stops me from caring about it so I can just play and enjoy the game then it really doesn't matter to me.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

RottenK posted:

xavier stop defending terrible monetisation (it will be terrbile no matter what you say the game's made by a russian studio ffs, we can't make non-poo poo mmos)

I don't like p2w anymore than most people here do. I am just bothered by it far less if an exchange like this exists. I also only plan to pve in that game so that probably has a lot to do with why that is enough for me.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

LordSaturn posted:

If it was p2w without an exchange, then how would you p2w in the first place?

EDIT: Is it just that you can buy currency off other players/sell it to them?

No, it is like GW2's gold to gem exchange. It does not involve buying/selling between players. Basically you open an interface and you enter in the amount of cash shop currency that you want and the exchange tells you how much in game currency it will cost you to get it. The opposite exists as well. You can enter the amount of in game currency you want and the exchange will tell you how much cash shop currency it will take to get it. However, the prices are not fixed because it is an exchange. They fluctuate based on how much of each type of currency people are exchanging.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Wildstar is not a very good example of MMO action combat anyways.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The original set of GW2 dungeons are not works of art, but I will say this about them:

1. Most of them are a much more enjoyable experience compared to what they felt like during the first 3-6 months of the game's release.
2. You can no longer waypoint while any members of your party are in combat which forced people to find ways to kill the bosses without infinite lives.
3. The rewards for running dungeons are more attractive now.
4. Easier dungeons are run the most but the harder paths are still very accessible. It is not hard to find a group to run them but expect for these to take more time to complete. Harder paths usually come with greater rewards now.
5. First person camera mode is in the game now. This does help some with seeing enemy telegraphs. Especially when it comes to smaller bosses such as those found in Caudecus's Manor.
6. A lot of bullshit fights have been changed. A lot of bullshit still exists though.
7. Most of my pug runs end in success but not all of course and they do take longer with a pug but even those groups clear most paths quickly as Kessel mentioned in the post above.
8. Running with guild mates is more fun and faster like pretty much every MMO out there.
9. The LFG finder has been completely overhauled since launch and works pretty well. Wait times are minimal and this has a lot to do with the fact that any class/build composition is perfectly viable.

Finally, the guy who was in charge of the original dungeon design was removed from his position quite some time ago because he just was not very good at his job. ANET has since put other people in charge of designing dungeons or "dungeon like" content and most of it has been much better. This gives me a lot of confidence that the quality of new dungeons in the upcoming expansion will be big improvement compared to launch dungeons.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Iron Tusk posted:

There's a claimed Carbine insider (apparently willing to verify employment with the mods) over there that Fran keeps snipping his posts. He says it's headed for a TOR style hybrid model in August.

It would not surprise me, but a TOR style hybrid is not enough. They need a much more open F2P model and even then they have to implement a lot of changes to the end game to make it more casual friendly.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Holy crap! The last 48 hours on this topic have been incredible. Many people, including myself, felt that Wildstar was going to attract a particularly elitist and spergy crowd even for old school MMO standards. This was a reasonably well accepted theory even before the first beta, but what we got was so much more. And now this. Now everything.

Wildstar is an awful game, but the trainwrecks that it has spawned have been absolutely legendary. I hope it lives forever.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The Chairman posted:

I hope this is one of you

Even if this is not one of us, I think that all of us should piggy back on this post by supporting it. Especially if you regularly post in in the WS reddit.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Verranicus posted:

Really curious what this "surprise" they have planned for after maintenance is.

I hope it is a new attunement.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

RottenK posted:

not reading threads is a time honored tradition but how can anyone with even a pasing interest in laughing at wildstar not know about franbunny

I didn't know. That is probably because I am not a frequent visitor of reddit or the wildstar forums.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

RottenK posted:

why do they always add this poo poo

are pedophiles really enough of a market

The answer to the first question is obvious. It makes a lot of money.

The second question is one that I am confused about as well. Because chances are that no, the eastern market is not overflowing with pedos that are throwing tons of money at MMOs. More than likely, the common MMO player over there does not view this type of content in the same way that Western players do. They don't look at it and immediately think "sexy children". Or something like that. I dunno. I don't care for it but I still really want to play B&S.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im pretty sure I remember reading a long time ago that the elin/popori weren't really designed with male audience in mind (in korea I mean). Cutesy characters are almost always marketed to women there. But kTERA being full accurate hitbox based and the elin's having somehow greater reach (do to their animations) than the other races caused min/maxers to gravitate toward them. So naturally the elin became the dominant species in Arborea.

B&S Lyn are similarly designed toward that cutesy market but taken even further. Look at how the summoners (Lyn unique class) were originally going to be during their concept video and then how they turned out when they came out. Look at the korean marketing for B&S around the summoners launch, its not really targeted at guys. They have access to the simplest classes to play and their version of swordmaster was retooled to be simpler to use from the other race versions. Sort of feeds into the stereotype that girls need easier and cuter classes.

This makes a lot more sense to me. I know some adult women here in the states who play all kinds of MMOs and prefer picking the "cute" races for that exact reason too.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

In my experience, erp knows no bounds when it comes to races. No reason to be more wary of one race over another. Just be wary of erp players in general imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Do we even know if she still works at Carbine? I have been hoping for a while now that she would find a better opportunity some place else. I liked her work a lot and thought she responded well to various criticism.

• Locked thread