Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Does that free 10 day trial for old subscribers still exist? Maybe I should martyr myself by logging in and seeing if they've fixed the weird crashes.

In the current theme of the thread I reinstalled this game and ran around for a little bit. I upgraded my processor from one that was seven years old. Since I last played. (Core2Duo something to i7) Same video card but the performance difference in basically every game I try has been unlike anything since upgrading my 486 to a Pentium 266.

Wildstar runs about the same and I'm not loving joking. I mean a little better sure but not smoothly, apparently this game is incapable of running smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
I had an idea about alleviating boredom during the long GCD. What if some abilities could be performed while the GCD was active? Perhaps these abilities could activate in response to semi-random conditions, lending a more dynamic feel to the combat.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
The big problem was removing JP/VP and replacing it with that dumb, useless Apexis crystal poo poo. Having dailies gives you a thing to log on and do for an hour or two. Making them required for progress was a stupid idea, in my view equally as stupid as removing them entirely.

Removing JP/VP also had the effect of removing any and all motivation to smash through five-man dungeons, which is the real crime. Let's remember, at launch you got literally nothing but gold for doing a dungeon. Then they added a token amount of garrison resources like that was some kind of loving solution.

Edit: Also the Apexis dailies mentioned above are straight-up awful, terrible quests. I'd rather do that loving Golden Lotus training mission where you dodge the spinning assholes forever than do another one, ever.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

cthulhoo posted:

i liked timeless isle but lol forever at apexis poo poo

tbf it wasnt that bad while they still allowed doing those in a raid group but welp no fun allowed in draenor

I agree with you. Someone posted around here somewhere that what they should have done was looked at this and said "Hmm, people like doing these in raid groups. Perhaps we should add some monsters that can challenge a raid group?" and went "Nah" and just made it so you can't do them in a raid group. :effort:

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

IIRC the way stats worked is you just wanted to max assault if you were DPS and support if you were a tank or healer, so all the dumb names were just a weird way of masking the exact same system every other MMO uses where you have one prime stat that you stack.

Yeah but if I remember right you also wanted some amount of strikethrough (expertise, hit rating, whatever) for the given level of content you were on. I think it was different from adventures to dungeons to raids.

The thing I remember most was spending all my gold on the fifty different things you needed to assemble for loving runes, then equipping all those runes to get a SWEET PROC of like literally 4 extra damage on your attacks. I guess they addressed this somewhat by making a previously completely worthless currency that you accumulated thousands of incidentally useful for buying some of the basic ones or something.

This doesn't even mention the asinine way runes combined, only fit in certain slots, only had certain stats available for certain types in certain places and the endless loving loops from the auction house to the mailbox to the rune crafting/inserting station. The poo poo was unbelievably stupid. You need nine of this type of rune across all your gear to activate level 1 effect! You need 16 of this rune to activate level 2! What happens if I change a piece of gear? Hope your new gear has the right types of rune slots in the correct numbers otherwise gently caress you.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Another option would be to have stats that do things which are interesting. Like Diablo 3.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Reading that list was awesome. "We need simple stats with clear names people can understand." Makes sense, tell me more. Then the list just kept scrolling and kept scrolling and every drat entry is prefaced with "This is a new stat for all roles." They really are insane.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
You are correct though. Dodging being activated Unreal-style is a terrible loving idea in a game where you frequently have to make small and rapid adjustments (say, near a cliff), a thing that really does not come up in a fast-paced shooter where you're teleporting and dodging off the walls.

I disabled double-tap dodging (and I played UT a gently caress of a lot and got good a dodging and still thought it was a garbage idea in WS) and rebound it to middle mouse. Worked a lot better.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Classic example was that daily quest where you could click the traps to disarm them and it'd take five seconds each...or you could just jump in the trap and the addon would clear that poo poo up in about 100ms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
A lot of Wildstar's problem is that you were generally working as hard as you possibly could and had to be on your toes at all times and perform everything more-or-less flawlessly for very little reward. Mistakes were punished not just with failure but also with removing the carrot you were working toward from the list of potential rewards. Combining that with PUG five mans created an incredibly toxic community. The rewards themselves never seemed to increase player power significantly enough to change up how you approached encounters.

There was very little ability to feel like a hero by saving the day through clever use of your cooldowns (because you don't really have long-cooldown abilities in the sense of WoW or something) and losing even one party member in an encounter whether tank/heal/dps often led to failure because you couldn't puncture the interrupt armor without everyone working together or whatever.

• Locked thread