Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/16/italian-police-arrest-migrants-alleged-to-have-thrown-christians-overboard

Or are there extenuating root causes, like the Crusades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

i don't think you understand what genocide means.

"Genocide is the deliberate destruction of physical life of individual human beings by reason of their membership of any human collectivity as such." (The Crime of State, Volume 2, Leiden, 1959, p. 125.)

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yes, it is genocide

e: oh you meant the link, not this thread

Religious persecution is hilarious when committed by fetish peoples, isn't it?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Willie Tomg posted:

no, it is not genocide

Do you disagree with the definition I posted?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Willie Tomg posted:

in isolation from a larger context, yes, because that formulation of the definition is imprecise and bad.

Disagree. Targeting people because of their membership in a group, e.g. religion, is textbook genocide. This is different from Srebrenica in degree, not kind.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

godawful thread, godawful OP *gavel noises* this is the people's court

Door. rear end.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Willie Tomg posted:

lets definitely do this and seriously talk about killing a dozen people in terms we'd use for the systematic removal of an ethnic group from a given area. not while smoking weed, though. that is a bridge too far.

I stopped appropriating Rastafarian culture after having my eyes opened by a D&D thread.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

dougdrums posted:

You might as well have had posted this thread by just asking, "what is the definition of genocide?"

I would say no, as genocide is generally taken to mean large groups of people, at least larger than 12. Genocide is also arguably systematic.

First sensible response. To counter: reasonable people could argue that this particular massacre is part of a systematic effort.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

System Metternich posted:

I wouldn't call srebrenica a genocide either tbqh

Srebrenica was part of a systematic genocide.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah there is only one pizza worthy of my time.

That's a casserole.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
There's a lot of cultural appropriation going on in this thread.

Stop it, or else racism.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Zeitgueist posted:

Man, you switched trolls quick

at least give the thread more than 2 pages

What is trolls? Because, like, these things Matter.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Chomskyan posted:

So unraveling all the sarcasm in the OP, what point is The Immigrant trying to make?

1. That genocide doesn't actually happen?
2. That muslims are bad?
3. That white/christian people have never done anything wrong?
4. That the past actions of Europe have no bearing on the state of the Middle East today?

I imagine it's some combination of the above, but he's afraid to say those things directly.

1. This had several indicia of genocide, although for Reasons enunciated by a couple of posters smarter than you, it's debatable.
2. Some of them are, but you will capitalize, or else racism. They are people, and even if they wear Magnificent Headgear, they are capable of being Bad. Even if SedanChair fetishizes them in a cringeworthy fashion.
3. They have. However, the purported victims here were not white, so I don't know why you are trying to conflate white (don't capitalize it, or else racism) with christian (idem.). I can only assume you pooh-pooh the murder of these Africans because they are African. Racism.
4. Nonsequitur. How many times did you rape today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Zeitgueist posted:

New South Whales tags?

Wales, you subliterate bogan.

• Locked thread