Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
You guys are weirdly passionate about how other couples' finances should work. The important thing is both people discuss their situation and agree on the arrangement with no lingering issues.

In a dual income household I really don't see the issue with having separate finances. We have separate chequing accounts and separate credit cards but each of us has a secondary credit card linked to that of the other person. There was pre-existing assets coming in to the relationship so pooling doesn't really make sense in this case either. We keep track of all the expenses and divide them fairly. After that each of us is free to use our remaining incomes as we want.

I think pooling finances makes sense for single income couples or those entering a relationship with few assets but for dual income households it seems like unnecessary complication if both people are financially savvy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

Married couples who do separate finances make no sense to me. Why the hell would you legally marry somebody if you don't trust them absolutely? Because even if you nominally keep your assets separate, they can still gently caress you over if they decide they want to! Basically it seem like you're going to the trouble to split stuff so that you can have a false sense of security. I mean I might think differently if I had had substantial assets before getting married, I don't know, but it's hard for me to see it from that perspective.
This seems to keep coming up but it's a false dichotomy. Just because you have split finances doesn't mean you don't trust your partner.

Rudager posted:

Like I mentioned before in this thread, we just have 1 joint everyday spending account, 1 joint savings account and 1 joint home loan, there's no calculating required, no confusion about who owes what for what, or "I paid for this last time, so now it's your turn", if something needs to be bought/paid for one of us does it.
It doesn't have to be complicated or involve people keeping score. There are things I routinely buy/pay and there are things that she routinely buys/pays. Then discretionary stuff is done willy nilly depending on who wants to do what. If I want to go out for dinner I pay, if she wants to go out she pays. She has her toys, I have my toys. She budgets, I budgets. We discuss personal goals and shared goals. Everyone's happy.

Relationships work because people craft them around each other. What works for one couple isn't going to be ideal for another. There is no right or wrong way to do things when it comes to relationships.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 6, 2015

• Locked thread