Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I want to catch up with the manga, and while I don't mind reading it all, I kind of want to jump to new material. I know the anime didn't get every chapter leading up to the shogun assassination arc, so what chapter would I want to start on for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

mabels big day posted:

I want to catch up with the manga, and while I don't mind reading it all, I kind of want to jump to new material. I know the anime didn't get every chapter leading up to the shogun assassination arc, so what chapter would I want to start on for that?

Here's a list of chapters/arcs: http://forums.yorozuyasoul.com/index.php?topic=3214.0

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Thank you friend.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why did no one tell me there was a new poll three months ago: http://imgur.com/a/lfnbR

Shinpachi got 8th for the fourth time in a row, lmao.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 31, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Why did no one tell me there was a new poll three months ago: http://imgur.com/a/lfnbR

It's disgusting that Hasegawa is 30th. Behind Okita's sister? What the gently caress. She's been dead since she was introduced basically. poo poo.

I haven't read any of the manga past where the anime is so idk if she gets more flashback screen time or what, but still.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

good

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Strange Quark posted:

It got the swing votes. :tipshat:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
More Gintama comin'

I've got 307 episodes to catch up on before it airs

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I wonder if they're just going to jump right back on the plot or if they are going to spend time on the arcs they didn't adapt.

...probably the former, and I'm just going to have to live with the fact that the Kagura's Boyfriend arc was never animated. :negative:

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
How is Gin going to apologize for bringing back Gintama this time?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sonata Mused posted:

How is Gin going to apologize for bringing back Gintama this time?

while picking his nose.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if you guys haven't been reading the manga lately, then lol.

the last chapter was literally just 20 pages of dick jokes.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

eonwe posted:

And it was goddamn glorious.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I decided to wait for the anime, but I'm glad that the writing is keeping up the quality.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mabels big day posted:

I decided to wait for the anime, but I'm glad that the writing is keeping up the quality.

if anything the arcs after the anime have gotten even better than what i've come to expect from Gintama

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

eonwe posted:

You forgot Baka Prince's backstory, where he was apparently a stud with a decent dick

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hell yeah.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

And turns out Eli is actually the long thought dead brother of the Prince Idiot, who had memory loss until then, and now has a dick the size of a dragon :psypop:

Gorilla what the gently caress are you smoking

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
New anime starts January 8, 2017!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

:yeah:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

:worship:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
good

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I'm looking forward to the last couple of chapters being animated

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Without spoiling anything, how close does the manga seem to finishing?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mabels big day posted:

Without spoiling anything, how close does the manga seem to finishing?

I feel like they are starting to tie up loose ends. No clue on exactly how close, but it feels like they are taking steps toward it at least

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

A series like Gintama could be continued almost indefinitely. Having said that, I'd bet on it ending in 2017. There simply aren't that many hanging plot threads left at this point, and I suspect the author will choose to close it out. He's also made fun of neverending series in the past.

I'll miss it, but he's kept up an astonishingly high level of quality for an awful long time. Better to quit before you falter, you know?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Trailer for the Gintama live action movie

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lol they stole the lovely CG from the show and made it look worse.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
New PV: http://www.bilibili.com/mobile/video/av7616217.html

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
drat gintama owns

the live action actually looks....pretty decent. shinpachi's GIN-SAAAN yell was pretty on point

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It's so close I can almost taste it....

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

It looks like they're doing benizakura, so I hope the final fight is appropriately lovely CG and they mock it relentlessly

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Gintama is one of the few series where lampshading their crappy CGI would be appropriate, instead of a transparent dodge.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i love gintama

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Is anyone else kind of sick of the Benizakura arc?

Maybe it's just because I watched the first movie a few months ago, but it's not very good. I was way more impressed with it the first time around, though maybe that's because it was the first serious arc of the show and I had nothing to compare it to.

It just falls kinda flat. I guess it's because the strength of Gintama's serious arcs are its character moments, not its fights and the arc doesn't really have those.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I completely get why they chose it for the live action though. Its got comedy, action, it can be contained in the length of a movie pretty easily, the arc is straightforward, and people who havent watched Gintama can possibly enjoy it and follow it. Lots of arcs are better, but they may require knowing more about the characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
New year, new season, new thread, now with hopefully one fewer permabanned OP: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803850

• Locked thread