Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The 360 doesn't look that comically huge on people with normal, adult sized wrists.

(photo taken to prove a point in another thread)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Actually, the gap in the market is a smaller watch that more women would be comfortable wearing.

I have girly man wrists and the 360 isn't bad at all. Roughly the same size as my Faux-lex Submariner but definitely thicker.

Really hoping the rumors of designer watches coming out with real mechanisms behind a transparent digitizer that activates when you want smart watch capabilities is true.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

TraderStav posted:

Really hoping the rumors of designer watches coming out with real mechanisms behind a transparent digitizer that activates when you want smart watch capabilities is true.

That's not a thing I ever realized I wanted before THIS VERY MOMENT, but that sounds really great.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Tatsuta Age posted:

That's not a thing I ever realized I wanted before THIS VERY MOMENT, but that sounds really great.

Tag hinted at it I believe. I'm sure the battle will be managing battery life and thickness as well as the other components needed for both devices. Someone pulls that off, they're set and cracked the code. Obviously there will be battery savings from not having to power the display to see the time but it'll be a while before we see anything worth it in my opinion. I'm just happy that someone is trying to preserve watch culture with this new tech.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

SpelledBackwards posted:

Jesus H., I looked up a photo of it and it is sexy as hell. Whichever watch it is seems mega huge, and I've got tiny wrists :(

I felt like the 360 was almost too small on me.

A bit concerned by moto execs saying the next one will be smaller.

edit: whoopsie that was a big photo

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 22, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's about how it looks on me. Any smaller and it would look comically small. Right now, it's just right. I'm only on the 4th notch in on the strap even, there's barely enough to feed into the 2nd loop.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Yeah, the Goldeneye watch face looks awesome as heck. Sadly, it's clearly designed for a circular face (for obvious reasons), so it winds up being a little on the small side on the square Sony watch.

But the health meter shows my phone battery and the armor meter shows my watch battery, so I find it totally rad. I think it strikes a decent balance between classy and extremely nerdy.

Also have "stealth mode" on for when the screen shuts off, people will be none the wiser

Perfect stealth

EDIT: Also note that if you have items in your calendar scheduled for later in the day, the watch will say "Mission Status: Incomplete" on the face, it's excellent

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 22, 2015

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Here's a link for the goldeneye watch.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

bull3964 posted:

That's about how it looks on me. Any smaller and it would look comically small. Right now, it's just right. I'm only on the 4th notch in on the strap even, there's barely enough to feed into the 2nd loop.

I got the metal band and had to add in 3 of the 4 spare links.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
Anyone know if any good todo apps have been moved to AW yet? Todoist can do it, but required manually pushing data.

e:
Also loving my Pipboy face, which actually has a fair amount of info on it too. Also made me realize how often I keep accidentally cutting my hands in the workshop.

booshi fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 23, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

booshi posted:

Anyone know if any good todo apps have been moved to AW yet? Todoist can do it, but required manually pushing data.
Google Keep has Android Wear support and has been adding features for due dates, etc.

Worth a shot, depending how feature-rich you need your todo app to be.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

booshi posted:

e:
Also loving my Pipboy face, which actually has a fair amount of info on it too. Also made me realize how often I keep accidentally cutting my hands in the workshop.

Have a link? Nothing good is coming up in the play store.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Apparently G Watch Urbanes (such a terrible name) will be in google play stores in 13 countries before the end of the month. Which is weird because you still can't get the G Watch R from google in Canada.

I am considering the silver one a little more than I'd like to admit.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Have a link? Nothing good is coming up in the play store.

The Pip Boy faces that go into the play store seem to get disappeared, you may have better luck with a Facer theme.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/all-android-wear-watches-have-wi-fi-chips-but-some-wont-get-wi-fi-support/

Comprehensive list of Wifi support in the upcoming update.

Yes
Moto 360
Sony SmartWatch 3
LG Watch Urbane

No
Asus ZenWatch
LG G Watch
LG G Watch R

Apparently they all have wifi chips, but neither of the earlier LG watches have antennas. It is unknown if that's the reason why the ZenWatch will not have wifi support.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

Apparently they all have wifi chips, but neither of the earlier LG watches have antennas.

I got good chuckle out of that.

I mean, I can see them just using something that already has wifi built in even though they didn't have any intention to use the wifi...but its still kinda humorous.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Rastor posted:

The Pip Boy faces that go into the play store seem to get disappeared, you may have better luck with a Facer theme.

Close, I use WatchMaker.

It was on FaceRepo. They have a ton, but here is a link: http://facerepo.com/app/faces/details/pip-boy-sm-v700-by-motive-14ab95eecd6

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

StackSocial is giving away a Huawei Watch, which they value at $500:

https://stacksocial.com/giveaways/the-huawei-watch-giveaway

They cross-brand their site widely so chances are there's an affiliated link through your favorite Android blog.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So I've seen two instances this week where navigation on a 4 hour drive has taken the battery on my Moto 360 from 100% down to 0. The battery lasts fine otherwise.

I thought navigation was just sending notifications to the watch like any other app, but it seems to be wakelocking the watch the whole time Google Maps is in navigation mode.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

kitten smoothie posted:

So I've seen two instances this week where navigation on a 4 hour drive has taken the battery on my Moto 360 from 100% down to 0. The battery lasts fine otherwise.

I thought navigation was just sending notifications to the watch like any other app, but it seems to be wakelocking the watch the whole time Google Maps is in navigation mode.

GPS generally kills the battery. The only way to fix it is to turn on airplane mode for the watch when navigating. Blocking the maps app does nothing.

I posted this before though and people responded about how they and no problems with GPS and battery, so it's all a toss-up.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I'll have to try that. I also have terrible battery life with GPS.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LG Urbane is supposed to come out in North America this week. This video is in Italian but sure makes the watch look good........................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhc4HGEs5x4

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Urbane is available now through Clove in the UK for 259.99, and sounds like will be available at Verizon at least for $350. Which means it'll be $400+ plus $50+ tax in Canada, which means I might as well import from Korea for cheaper/faster again.

And apparently I'm the only goon who cares.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

For me, the unveiling of the Huawei Watch stole a lot of the Urbane's thunder. On the other hand, the Urbane is available now / tomorrow and the Huawei Watch is not.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rastor posted:

For me, the unveiling of the Huawei Watch stole a lot of the Urbane's thunder. On the other hand, the Urbane is available now / tomorrow and the Huawei Watch is not.

Yeah knowing me I'll probably end up buying both. I sold my 360 for more than I bought it for so it works out.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The Urbane looks odd to me. I know it's a G Watch R with different internals (right?) and a grinded-down bezel, but it's too... plain. The bezel is there, but there is nothing to it, it's just a plain circular piece of metal. At least the G Watch R had those useless notches to make it look more like a traditional timepiece, but still.

I'm also thinking it's 80% because I don't like that color combination, or it's a bad photo. OP updated.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

It looks better in video compared to some of the lg provided photos so I'm hoping it looks good in person. Either way I'll be able to give a first hand impression soon. There's a chance I'll sell it and keep the GWR.

And it's more of a GWR with different externals than internals.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Watch Urbane is now available in The Google Store, $349.
G Watch R Was $299, now $249.

The two watches have the same internals except the Urbane has a Wifi antenna and therefore supports the new Wifi features.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rastor posted:

Watch Urbane is now available in The Google Store, $349.

$400 for Canadians as predicted. Gold is not available. Good on Google for actually selling it though, unlike the GWR. My watch arrives from Korea tomorrow, $25 cheaper than that. Silly country.

edit: also noticed it has a 2-3 week wait. They pulled the same poo poo with the Nexus 6, allow you to buy it but not get it for ages.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 28, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Urbane in da hizouse.

Makes a good first impression. Software seems identical to the GWR which is a plus of course. I'm terrified of dropping it though because one scuff would ruin it. The strap is much better quality than the GWR or 360 or anything else.

I'm much more of a sporty watch guy so the style is a bit of an adjustment for me, but I don't feel like I'm wearing a geeky toy anymore. May be too big for people with small wrists - it feels bigger than the GWR somehow (more rigid/flat maybe?), and you can see how small the 360 looked on me up thread.

That's about all I have to say right now. Installing updates is taking forever...

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

May be too big for people with small wrists - it feels bigger than the GWR somehow (more rigid/flat maybe?), and you can see how small the 360 looked on me up thread.
Yeah a coworker has the GWR and it looks huge, my scrawny wrists would not be sufficient.

Droid Life published two Android Wear related items this morning:

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/04/29/moto-360s-monolink-band-is-back-in-stock-at-moto-maker/

The classy monolink band is now back in stock when you customize a Moto 360 order.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/04/29/tag-heuers-android-wear-watch-will-cost-around-1400-have-40-hour-battery-life/

TAG Heuer smartwatch rumors: It will come out in October-November timeframe, it will have 40 hour battery life, and it will cost $1400. Interesting price point, falling in between the Apple Watch Standard and the Apple Watch Edition.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Urbane battery at 50% after 12.5 hours of heavy usage/always on full brightness screen for anyone who cares. Wifi is also on.

Also redditors still downvote anything that doesn't declare the Moto 360 to be the best watch to ever exist forever and always. Gotta love those guys, you'd think they'd be over it by now.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Reverse Centaur posted:

Urbane battery at 50% after 12.5 hours of heavy usage/always on full brightness screen for anyone who cares. Wifi is also on.

Also redditors still downvote anything that doesn't declare the Moto 360 to be the best watch to ever exist forever and always. Gotta love those guys, you'd think they'd be over it by now.

I mean, i really like my 360 after a week or two of use, but you'd have to be pretty dense to not see ist flaws.

Is the Wifi working well on the urbane(that loving Name)? I like the thought of not having to have my phone in bluetooth range to me all the time.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone got the tylt band for the 360? Thinking about getting one.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kri kri posted:

I wanted a dark blue band and I like the look of blue + black watch. The clasp on the end seems to work better than the original leather band too, because the free end liked to come loose of the loop and snag on sleeves.

Material seems ok and it feels comfortable. I'd give the whole thing an A-.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 30, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kri kri posted:

I really wanted one but it'd cost me like 50 to get it shipped to the UK :( .

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

I wanted a dark blue band and I like the look of blue + black watch. The clasp on the end seems to work better than the original leather band too, because the free end liked to come loose of the loop and snag on sleeves.

Material seems ok and it feels comfortable. I'd give the whole thing an A-.

Ordered, thanks. I have a leather one too and the 2nd loop was starting to loosen up which is annoying.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

drat the new temp price to 179 is pretty enticing.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

incoherent posted:

drat the new temp price to 179 is pretty enticing.

Yeah. In spite of its flaws, now is a great time to buy a 360.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

LG has released a Wear app to make calls, but only for the Watch Urbane.