Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I got an Asus Zenwatch coming from Amazon Warehouse deals. I see it is not going to support WiFi. What exactly is WiFi going to do for Android Wear watches? Is it just for phone to watch communications instead of Bluetooth? Is there a reason to want WiFi on Android Wear watches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Lowen SoDium posted:

I got an Asus Zenwatch coming from Amazon Warehouse deals. I see it is not going to support WiFi. What exactly is WiFi going to do for Android Wear watches? Is it just for phone to watch communications instead of Bluetooth? Is there a reason to want WiFi on Android Wear watches?

If your watch is out of bluetooth range of the phone, it can still be kept updated/"connected" via wifi.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Returned my 360 today, just isn't worth the cost for how I was using it. I found I was just using it to see notifications and whether or not I needed to pull out my phone. That was great but not worth it.

It's down to $170 at Costco though. Great price for a lifetime return policy. If you are on the fence its a fantastic route and if you like it just return it later when a new one comes out. Which I expect will be soon with all these widespread price reductions.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Returned my 360 today, just isn't worth the cost for how I was using it. I found I was just using it to see notifications and whether or not I needed to pull out my phone. That was great but not worth it.

It's down to $170 at Costco though. Great price for a lifetime return policy. If you are on the fence its a fantastic route and if you like it just return it later when a new one comes out. Which I expect will be soon with all these widespread price reductions.

I thought the lifetime return policy was not applicable to electronics, just 90 days and they compensate for this by extending your warranty by a year. Basically because people were doing exactly this to get free upgrades on electronics.

Not that I'm returning mine, I feel like I've gotten my $220 worth out of it from when it first showed up at Costco in January and more so if the wifi update hits it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

I thought the return policy on electronics was 90 days and they compensate for this by extending your warranty by a year.

Not that I'm returning mine, I feel like I've gotten my $220 worth out of it from when it first showed up at Costco in January and more so if the wifi update hits it.

The Moto 360 is classified as jewelry by Costco...so, return it 10 yrs from now, full refund. If you are an rear end in a top hat, that is.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
From what I remember in the wearables thread, Costco counts smart watches as jewelry.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Correct, jewelry. At least go in and get a price adjustment.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Christ, they need to revise that policy.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Logikv9 posted:

If your watch is out of bluetooth range of the phone, it can still be kept updated/"connected" via wifi.

My question is does it have to be in the same Wi-Fi, or could I leave my phone at home and my watch still works to send texts etc at work?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

My question is does it have to be in the same Wi-Fi, or could I leave my phone at home and my watch still works to send texts etc at work?

Any wifi, probably.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

It sounds like it doesn't have to be in the same wifi network. If you left your phone at home and your watch was connected to wifi at work, your phone will bridge to your watch via Google's services.

edit: It does sound though like you need to have first joined the wifi network from your phone at some point, because it copies your "known" wifi networks to your watch from your phone.

edit 2: I am gleaning this info from https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-wear/7rUcu95kGAE

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 4, 2015

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

As long as your phone is connected to any data network or WiFi, and as long as your watch is connected to *a* WiFi network, it will work. In theory.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Takoluka posted:

As long as your phone is connected to any data network or WiFi, and as long as your watch is connected to *a* WiFi network, it will work. In theory.

It seems like my Urbane has slightly less bluetooth range than my GWR, so when I went to the outer edges of my condo it lost connection. But since activating wifi I haven't seen the disconnected icon, for what it's worth.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The Moto 360 should have a wifi antenna, right? Have they not pushed the update for cloud connectivity yet?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dr Cheeto posted:

The Moto 360 should have a wifi antenna, right? Have they not pushed the update for cloud connectivity yet?

Not yet. I've been checking daily.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr Cheeto posted:

I don't think any device has had a 5.1 update (the Urbane launched with it).

But to confirm, yes, the Moto 360 has the required Wi-Fi hardware and will gain that feature.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I'm actually not looking forward to the new update when it comes to voice commands. Right now tapping once will bring it up. Now it seems like I'll have to tap then swipe twice to get to it. I don't like the whole OK Google hot word.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

I impulse bought a Moto 360 from the display they had set up at Costco. For anyone wondering, I double checked the return policy and they told me it was "basically jewelery" and you can return it whenever unlike a lot of other electronics.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Thermopyle posted:

I impulse bought a Moto 360 from the display they had set up at Costco. For anyone wondering, I double checked the return policy and they told me it was "basically jewelery" and you can return it whenever unlike a lot of other electronics.

Welp, I don't want to be a dick abusing this system but it's so incredibly tempting.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Costco is run by highly competent people that believe in their policies. They wouldn't allow it by accident so rest assured you're not being a dick by operating completely within their policies.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Highly competent people wouldn't put a smart watch in the "can return for a full refund forever" category.

In other news, the Urbane is a big hit at work, and even some people who don't like the GWR want one. I will single handedly bring android wear to the masses.

ja_raul
May 1, 2005
so wait until the Urbane is available at Costco?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ja_raul posted:

so wait until the Urbane is available at Costco?

Well just buy every watch I suppose. Why not right?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

Highly competent people wouldn't put a smart watch in the "can return for a full refund forever" category.

In other news, the Urbane is a big hit at work, and even some people who don't like the GWR want one. I will single handedly bring android wear to the masses.

From your perspective it may not make sense but I'm certain they have people analyzing their customers behaviors and such policies end up profiting in the long run. Costco can do no wrong in my book. They own on every level. I even use Costco branded acid reflux medicine and drink their beer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TraderStav posted:

From your perspective it may not make sense but I'm certain they have people analyzing their customers behaviors and such policies end up profiting in the long run. Costco can do no wrong in my book. They own on every level. I even use Costco branded acid reflux medicine and drink their beer.

I dunno seems like selling one watch to a customer and then never selling that customer another full price watch again seems like it should lose money in the long run.

ja_raul
May 1, 2005
I just checked at a Costco in Vancouver, Canada and the staff said it was only a 90 day to 1 year return/exchange policy.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

TraderStav posted:

Pretty sure late 90s/early 2000s, before everyone had a home computer, they let people return PCs years later. Why would you think Costco, or any company, is immune from making mistakes? Especially when it comes to a new product category.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ja_raul posted:

I just checked at a Costco in Vancouver, Canada and the staff said it was only a 90 day to 1 year return/exchange policy.

In the usa SOME electronics are 90 days like TVs and computers. But monitors for example are not limited to 90 days.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

RVProfootballer posted:

Pretty sure late 90s/early 2000s, before everyone had a home computer, they let people return PCs years later. Why would you think Costco, or any company, is immune from making mistakes? Especially when it comes to a new product category.

Before 2007 it was 6m for PCs and no limit on TVs. Fun fact if you have a TV from before the change you can still return it. Saw someone return a console TV last month.

ja_raul
May 1, 2005
So thermopyle: are you actually planning on exchanging the 360 in the future when another watch looks more appealing just assuming that what they told you is accurate, or does your receipt actually state a "return whenever" line? Not trying to be sassy here, but I haven't been sold on getting a smartwatch yet but this Costco deal eases my hesitation of being dissapointed with 1st gen hardware, as sleazy as it is.
Edit: I could just as easily get it from the states as I'm heading there this weekend, so not a biggie if Canada has a different policy.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ja_raul posted:

So thermopyle: are you actually planning on exchanging the 360 in the future when another watch looks more appealing just assuming that what they told you is accurate, or does your receipt actually state a "return whenever" line? Not trying to be sassy here, but I haven't been sold on getting a smartwatch yet but this Costco deal eases my hesitation of being dissapointed with 1st gen hardware, as sleazy as it is.
Edit: I could just as easily get it from the states as I'm heading there this weekend, so not a biggie if Canada has a different policy.

quote:

We are pleased to offer what we believe is one of the best return policies in the industry.
If you are not completely satisfied with your Costco purchase, simply return the product to any Costco warehouse. Please include the product packaging if you have it, although we do not require it for a return to be processed. We also prefer that you provide your original receipt, but if it is not available, we will do our best to process your return without it.

To keep our costs low, we must insist that the following be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund: televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, touchscreen tablets, MP3 players and cell phones.

Any electronics not in the 90 day list are the regular return policy.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Reverse Centaur posted:

Well just buy every watch I suppose. Why not right?
Just buy the Moto now and then trade it in for the Urbane once they get it :3:

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:
I impulse bought a 360 this week as well, though I only have Best Buy's 15 day return policy to decide if I want to keep it.

I'm an RN, so I was pleased to see it last my entire 12 hour shift with battery to spare (moderate to heavy usage today). I was not pleased with the number of people who asked some derivative of "is that the apple watch?" and immediately started poking it to make the screen activate.

Thus far, the reminders have proven the most useful feature, especially for medications.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

JAF07 posted:

I was not pleased with the number of people who asked some derivative of "is that the apple watch?" and immediately started poking it to make the screen activate.
There's a face for that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

ja_raul posted:

So thermopyle: are you actually planning on exchanging the 360 in the future when another watch looks more appealing just assuming that what they told you is accurate, or does your receipt actually state a "return whenever" line?

I'm not planning on returning it for the next better smart watch, but I am planning on returning it if it turns out I think Android Wear is poo poo.

A manager-type person told me I can return it whenever I want for any reason, which confirmed what I had previously read on their website as quoted below.

Len posted:

I dunno seems like selling one watch to a customer and then never selling that customer another full price watch again seems like it should lose money in the long run.

You'll find lots of policies in all areas of life that don't make a lot of sense on the individual level but do in the aggregate.

For example, having a liberal return policy store-wide could make people more willing to buy things they may not be willing to try otherwise, and if Costco does a good job selling good things, then profits from people trying new things outweighs losses from people returning things.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not planning on returning it for the next better smart watch, but I am planning on returning it if it turns out I think Android Wear is poo poo.

A manager-type person told me I can return it whenever I want for any reason, which confirmed what I had previously read on their website as quoted below.

You'll find lots of policies in all areas of life that don't make a lot of sense on the individual level but do in the aggregate.

For example, having a liberal return policy store-wide could make people more willing to buy things they may not be willing to try otherwise, and if Costco does a good job selling good things, then profits from people trying new things outweighs losses from people returning things.

I did the same and did end up returning it.

I spend ~7-9k there every year and their return policy is a primary reason. They're winning out despite potential gaming.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Keep in mind too that if you are a habitual policy abuser, Costco can always refuse to renew your membership on that grounds. So, they do have an escape route to prevent it from becoming out of control.

90 days on cell phones was amazing when Motorola decided to come out with the Razr 60 days after the Droid Bionic.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Really wish there was a definitive date of release for the Huawei Watch. The urbane is OK looking, but the HW is just much better looking with a thinner bezel and the casing not being as fisher price looking.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

There's no way to control Spotify on my Tablet with the watch paired to my phone is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

There's no way to control Spotify on my Tablet with the watch paired to my phone is there?

Im streaming from my ipad to my stereo via bluetooth. My android phone can control what music the ipad plays and i can control my android phone from my watch. Only play/pause/volume though. It also feels loving ridiculous stringing half a dozen devices together like that.