Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Shai-Hulud posted:

Im streaming from my ipad to my stereo via bluetooth. My android phone can control what music the ipad plays and i can control my android phone from my watch. Only play/pause/volume though. It also feels loving ridiculous stringing half a dozen devices together like that.

Substitute iPad to a nexus 7 2012 and that's what I want to do. Does it murder the phones battery? I've been streaming with the tablet because it's got better battery life than the phone does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Not as far as i can tell. The phones not really streaming or doing anything except for showing you whats playing and letting you change it. The tablets still doing all the work and the phone is just a remote.
ymmv though, its android after all.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Vibration for notifications on Moto 360 is hilariously weak. So weak that I might return it just because of that.

If I'm sitting still, its OK, but if I'm walking around, driving, doing things with my hands, there's a 50/50 chance I won't notice the vibration.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thermopyle posted:

Vibration for notifications on Moto 360 is hilariously weak. So weak that I might return it just because of that.

If I'm sitting still, its OK, but if I'm walking around, driving, doing things with my hands, there's a 50/50 chance I won't notice the vibration.

Really? It feels like it's going to rattle my wrist off for me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

Really? It feels like it's going to rattle my wrist off for me.

You're lucky. There's threads all over with people complaining about the same thing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No issues with the vibration on mine and I even tend to wear it quite loose. I guess it's just down to how sensitive you are to that kind of thing.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Only issue I have with vibration is that it seems to have stopped doing so, specifically for FB messenger. Any thoughts?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Tunga posted:

No issues with the vibration on mine and I even tend to wear it quite loose. I guess it's just down to how sensitive you are to that kind of thing.

I dunno, I got my original Pebble replaced with the same model, and the new one is often weak on vibration to where it's barely noticeable compared to my first one for anything that's a single, isolated vibration (text, WhatsApp, etc.). The weird thing is that for a phone call or multiple simultaneous texts, the repeated vibrations closely spaced together in time cause the motor to vibrate gradually stronger and stronger until it finally matches the strength of my previous Pebble.

I'm not sure what causes it to eventually get weak again (long time without a vibrate? Setting the watch to charge?) or why it would differ from my old Pebble. Not sure if it's down to variability in manufacturing tolerances of the motors or magnets or what.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Thermopyle posted:

Using LightFlow allows you to increase the duration/change the pattern of vibrations depending on the notification.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
LightFlow works on a watch? Cool!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Logikv9 posted:

Using LightFlow allows you to increase the duration/change the pattern of vibrations depending on the notification.

I cannot get this to work at all, though that may be because I've never used Light Flow before.

For example, I have a notification set up for PushBullet. "Enable light" is disabled, "Enable sound" is disabled, "Enable repeating sound" is disabled, "Enable vibrate" is disabled, "Enable repeating vibrate is enabled. I have repeat vibration "Location" set to Wearable and I have a 1 short, 1 medium vibration pattern.

I still get just the regular super short vibration that I normally get.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've worn both my Flex and Moto 360 the past couple of days. My Flex has proven to be accurate within about 7 percent compared to a hip mounted pedometer I have.

The Moto 360 was about ten percent below my Flex yesterday and today is 40 percent below.

God dammit, I'm not going to continue wearing both of these...

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Someone finally made an Urbane review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-OE91VVTUQ

Tiny wristed reviewer as usual.

Some info on 5.1 even if you don't care about the watch.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I like the info he provided, but drat, that guy doesn't understand speaking cadence and intonation.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

SpelledBackwards posted:

I like the info he provided, but drat, that guy doesn't understand speaking cadence and intonation.

Yeah, I thought it was a nice review of a decent-looking watch, except I was super annoyed by the way the guy was talking too. It was bizarre, like with a weird way of emphasizing the last word of sentences bizarrely.

Looks like a nice enough watch, but I don't need to change from my Sony Smartwatch 3 anytime soon.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

Someone finally made an Urbane review.

Actually pretty much all the usual sites did reviews:

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/lg-watch-urbane-reviews-round-up-find-out-what-tech-critics-are-saying-266711.html

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

OK, just thought they'd come out sooner. It's been available since late April.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
After hearing how LOL HUEG the Moto 360 is I was amused to find out when I got mine that it's exactly the same size as my old Invicta.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

nmfree posted:

After hearing how LOL HUEG the Moto 360 is I was amused to find out when I got mine that it's exactly the same size as my old Invicta.

The "tiny wristed reviewer" comments aren't all jokes. Those people have TINY wrists.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Len posted:

The "tiny wristed reviewer" comments aren't all jokes. Those people have TINY wrists.

And they normally don't wear watches, so they have no experience with larger, traditional watches.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
"Traditional" watches aren't 46mm. The IWC big pilot, the watch that arguably launched the hugewatch trend is only 46mm. That Invicta must be at least 50mm, a size anyone but Arnold Schwarzenegger would laugh at.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Logikv9 posted:

And they normally don't wear watches, so they have no experience with larger, traditional watches.

I hate the way huge watches look, but then again I'm not a fat person. You hit on a good point about smartwatches in general, though. I agree that the people most excited about wearing smart watches probably don't wear watches normally. In fact, that's one of the things keeping me from getting one. I like wearing different watches for different occasions, and if I had a smartwatch I feel like I'd slip into wearing it all the time. Does anyone here have experiences with owning multiple android wear devices? Are they easy to switch between? Like, maybe I'd wear a 360 or an LG G Watch casually, but wear one of the fancier looking ones when I dress up (like whatever tag heuer is cooking up). I guess I'm still not sold on smartwatches being anything more than another techno toy.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I have very "average" sized wrists, and the 360 is in no way too large. It's pretty much on par with what size I'd consider to be "modern fit" for a watch, and I hate huge gaudy watches.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Every picture I've seen of people wearing a 360 and going "look it's not huge at all" has made me go "lol, yes it is".

I bought one anyway, and to be honest it doesn't look comically huge and I just have average wrists I think.

I'm not sure why it always seems so huge to me in photos.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

I guess I'm still not sold on smartwatches being anything more than another techno toy.

Isn't that what wearing just regular watches is?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Thermopyle posted:

Isn't that what wearing just regular watches is?

I guess the difference is that a regular watch won't be obsolete in a year and generally works better as a fashion accessory. Most smartwatches look pretty dweeby.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Dr Cheeto posted:

I guess the difference is that a regular watch won't be obsolete in a year and generally works better as a fashion accessory. Most smartwatches look pretty dweeby.

Agreed. Also most people don't paw at their (non-smart) watches. I'm really having trouble finding the use case for smart watches. It seems like in most cases you're either able to take out your phone or it's not situationally appropriate to be on your phone. (In which case it probably isn't appropriate to be swiping away at your watch, either!)

The only time I wish I had a smartwatch is when I'm heading to a connecting flight and want to check the gate number. I end up pulling out my phone, so I guess even then there's no problem to solve.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
One of the big reasons I'm wanting a smartwatch is to help reduce me missing notifications or thinking I've gotten one when I haven't. I frequently have my phone on silent and don't notice the buzz, or think that it's buzzed when it hasn't, and having the vibration directly on my wrist rather than being dampened by my pocket (and the otterbox on my phone) would be very helpful. Anything else is just gravy to me.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm really having trouble finding the use case for smart watches. It seems like in most cases you're either able to take out your phone or it's not situationally appropriate to be on your phone. (In which case it probably isn't appropriate to be swiping away at your watch, either!)

A smartwatch isn't (usually) life changing, it's a convenience gadget. Like a Roomba, or a TV box that supports multiple sources of content. Yeah you could vacuum floors yourself, yeah you could plug your laptop into your TV, but with the gadget you don't have to deal with that.

A lot of smartwatch havers talk about how they don't have to pull out their phone much thanks to the smartwatch and the dubious responses have been things like "but if I'm standing on the subway I can work my phone with one hand but a smartwatch would require both hands" or "but if it's not situationally appropriate to be on your phone it probably isn't appropriate to be swiping away at your watch, either". But that isn't what it's about at all. It's about making information from your phone available with just a glance at your wrist. It's about making quick tasks a matter of just lifting your wrist to your mouth and then back down again.

For me personally the biggest benefit has been making Google Now reminders so quick and easy to create that it's effectively zero effort. I do it all the time now and it has noticeably improved my life (I am just one of those very forgetful people).

So for me, that convenience makes the smartwatch worth it. I think the continuing popularity of hugephones will be part of what drives smartwatches -- the bigger the phone, the more of a convenience it is to not have to pull it out.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It's nice to be able to download music to my smartwatch and run with that but, yeah, if I were to min/max my gadget choices I'd probably be better off with a Sansa Clip and some wired headphones rather than a Moto 360 and bluetooth headphones.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I saw a tiny woman wearing a moto 360 last week and it didn't look comically huge on her wrist. I guess it just depends on the person looking at it/wearing it. The 360 doesn't look large on my wrist to me, but I wear a 46mm watch every day so I am used to it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I wasn't sure if I'd like having a smartwatch...and I'm still not sure if it's worth the $170 I spent on it...but like 90% of the value I get out of it is that it's like way quicker to glance at my wrist to see if I want to address the notification I just got right now or later.

The majority of notifications I get, I just don't have any need to take care of right now. I can take care of them in 15 minutes or a half hour when I'm not talking to someone or driving or walking or whatever.

Something much cheaper than my Moto 360 that looked just as nice but only showed notifications rather than having a touch screen and the ability to interact with notifications would be a pretty good value proposition.

On the other hand, while I did say 90% of the value I get out of it is the passive ability to see what that notification was easily, the other 10% is pretty nice...controlling music/podcast playback, starting a run, a few other things are pretty nice to have when I occasionally use them.

I'm mostly not buying the obsolesence argument. Why do I care if the Moto 360 version 2 comes out next month? It doesn't reduce the capabilities of my current 360.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 12, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I wore g-shocks before I got into smart watches so if anything my style is more svelte now. e.g. (my pic)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

I'm mostly not buying the obsolesence argument. Why do I care if the Moto 360 version 2 comes out next month? It doesn't reduce the capabilities of my current 360.

I'm with you there. We aren't going to have massive jumps with these products unless we have some sort of major breakthrough in screen tech or battery tech. Until we get to pebble levels of a week long battery life, 24 vs 36 vs 48 really doesn't make one hell of a lot of different.

I also still argue that the Moto 360 with lower battery life but Qi charging is more useful than another watch with slightly higher battery life but a proprietary charging cable.

If for some reason I forgot to charge my Moto 360 at night and I get to the battery warning in the middle of the 2nd day at work, I can just put it on my Qi pad on my desk for an hour and be done with it.

I also have one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Qi-infinity-Portable-compatible-including-receivers/dp/B00K8HGB08

Which means I can charge the thing pretty much anywhere.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 12, 2015

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Thermopyle posted:

Your watch is going to become obsolete. In a year you're going to be looking at the 360v2 and seeing leaps in terms of battery life and probably several additional features. Between two and three years I'd be shocked if the manufacturer continued pushing Wear updates. God knows when the battery will cease holding a charge for a full day. Maybe you'll wear that watch three, four years, but it's not going to last half as long as a traditional watch would, which is the context of that comment.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Your watch has a definite, imminent expiration date in terms of the battery's continually deteriorating effectiveness, even assuming Motorola are the gods of legacy support. A well-made traditional watch does not.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Battery death is not obsolescence though, it's just the lifespan of the product in question.

What Thermopyle is saying is the Moto 360 isn't going to instantly be obsolete when the Moto 360v2 comes out. There aren't going to be huge strides in functionality or specs in this space.

This is even more true if the current 360 can be had new at a significant discount over the incoming v2 version. If you can buy it for 30% less, you can afford to replace it more often when the battery does die. So, from that perspective, the old version bought this month at a discount is superior to the new version bought just a month later at a higher price.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Before I buy something pointless I can use literally any Qi charger with a 360 right? Like I could sit my watch on this no problems? http://smile.amazon.com/Wireless-Ch...=qi+charger+pad

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Len posted:

Before I buy something pointless I can use literally any Qi charger with a 360 right? Like I could sit my watch on this no problems? http://smile.amazon.com/Wireless-Ch...=qi+charger+pad

Yes, even the Apple Watch charger works with the Moto360

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Len posted:

I hope that's the case, because I would love to buy a bunch of these for wherever I go.