Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

As long as you're ok with something that looks like it was built by someone in their basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

As long as you're ok with something that looks like it was built by someone in their basement.

It doesn't look like your standard fashion watch, but personally I don't think it's so bad.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If Wear currently had the support (i know it's coming) to pair two watches up to a single phone, I would consider picking one up as one to use when bike riding or other outdoor activity that I wouldn't want to risk marking up my 360. Right now though, it's too much of a PITA to switch between two.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Does anyone here have experiences with owning multiple android wear devices? Are they easy to switch between?

bull3964 posted:

If Wear currently had the support (i know it's coming) to pair two watches up to a single phone, I would consider picking one up as one to use when bike riding or other outdoor activity that I wouldn't want to risk marking up my 360. Right now though, it's too much of a PITA to switch between two.

Cool, thanks.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

bull3964 posted:

I have a 360 and a G watch that I pair with one phone. It's a trivial amount of time to switch between the two. I wear the G watch when I mountain bike, and it takes all of 20 seconds, maybe, to make the switch.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Google Play Services 7.3 improved support for linking more than one Wear device to a single phone. It shouldn't be as hard to switch now as when Wear first launched.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, you just need to open the wear app and theres a drop down menu on the top left where you can switch watches. Its pretty easy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ah, didn't know that update was already out that allowed you to have more than one wear device.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

bull3964 posted:

Ah, didn't know that update was already out that allowed you to have more than one wear device.

I've had multiple devices working since the 360 first came out. I think it's always been an option, you just couldn't have them both receiving updates/etc at the exact same time.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Rastor posted:

Original LG G Watch on sale for $50. This is probably one of your last chances to buy one new.

It's not the best of Android Wear -- but it is very affordable.

This is a damned good deal, great price for what has been a very decent entry-level watch.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Shai-Hulud posted:

So which watch faces are you guys using? I'm using Pujie black, but im looking for something with lighter colors.

Right now I'm using the Damasko Chronograph that I got off the Google+ page for Watchmaker.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Holy poo poo, the new full screen mode for Google maps on wear is fantastic.

Also, on the phone it will audibly tell you your arrival time and if the route is clear of any jams when you start the navigation.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those not aware, the Moto 360 is on sale at Best Buy starting at $149.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I actually have a use case for a smart watch now! I'm quite shocked, but I'm going to roll with it.

While I do get some use out of it for notifications, the primary use of it is for directions while driving and to control music. I've been using a Pebble, and it works fine. That said, would an Android Wear device work better? Battery life isn't a concern.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

I actually have a use case for a smart watch now! I'm quite shocked, but I'm going to roll with it.

While I do get some use out of it for notifications, the primary use of it is for directions while driving and to control music. I've been using a Pebble, and it works fine. That said, would an Android Wear device work better? Battery life isn't a concern.

Notifications are good, Navigation is good, and controlling music is good most of the time. That said, being able to trigger google now and voice command it to play whatever song / album along with text messages etc, I believe it's an upgrade. In my opinion though, controlling music is better on the Pebble.

Related : updated my G watch to 5.1.1 and it's seen a very noticeable increase in battery life.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

The only real control I need for music is to be able to play it again after it is paused - does that work alright?

Also, does the OG LG G Watch support pairing with bluetooth headphones? I know some AW devices do, and I'd love to be able to leave my phone behind at the gym.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

The only real control I need for music is to be able to play it again after it is paused - does that work alright?

Also, does the OG LG G Watch support pairing with bluetooth headphones? I know some AW devices do, and I'd love to be able to leave my phone behind at the gym.

most of the time. The issue I've had (but not lately, it's sporadic but may have been fixed with updates) is that I'd have the music controls just flat out not show up on the watch. Get in my car, connect bluetooth and music starts playing, but the watch doesn't reflect that.

I can't confirm bluetooth headphone functionality, but I'd be quite surprised if it didn't work.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Goddamn. I was checking my phone this morning when an email came in from Amazon saying the Moto 360 was the deal of the day for $99. I figured gently caress it I'll get in on the whole Android Wear thing at that price but by the time I clicked the link and got to the page it was sold out. :smith:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

It's that price because the new 360 will be announced by the end of the week. I know buying stuff cheap is priority no. 1 to a lot of people but I'd wait.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Well the guy who said that $3 free shipping Qi charger from China was a bad call appears to be right. Ah well at least it was just $3.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Android Wear 5.1 OTA File Roundup:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/05/27/android-wear-lollipop-ota-roundup/

OTA links are provided for:
LG G Watch (platina)
LG G Watch R (lenok)
LG Watch Urbane (bass)
Sony SmartWatch 3 (tetra)
Asus ZenWatch (anthias)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

As a 360 owner, I am displeased.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The 360 lacks a physical port for sideloading an OTA file.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Rastor posted:

The 360 lacks a physical port for sideloading an OTA file.

I know. I'm still displeased.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Has any 360 anywhere received 5.1?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

Has any 360 anywhere received 5.1?
There has been no reported instance of this yet.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I'm really liking my 360, and would even consider upgrading to a new version if one is to be announced soon. The biggest surprise I've found though is that tech reviewers must have seriously tiny wrists, all the reviews I read either said or heavily implied that the watch was huge. I have pretty skinny arms, and the thing looks normal watch size on me. Good job nerds.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
Am I missing something somewhere in a setting, or is there no way to capitalize the first letter when responding to texts and such via voice? I know you can do commas, periods, etc., but is there any way to have the first word capitalized?

Asus Zenwatch if it makes a difference.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

If there is, I've yet to figure it out. Kind of dumb that it doesn't do it automagically.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

edit: nm

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

Reverse Centaur posted:

It's that price because the new 360 will be announced by the end of the week. I know buying stuff cheap is priority no. 1 to a lot of people but I'd wait.

Do you reckon we're likely to see new watch(es) announced during any of today's events?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CaptainN posted:

Do you reckon we're likely to see new watch(es) announced during any of today's events?
If you mean I/O, the keynote was yesterday and there was literally nothing new regarding Wear at all. They did waste ten minutes telling us about the things in 5.1 that are already live which was weird.

Generally speaking from now on I'd imagine we're going to see Wear devices being announced at tech shows and OEM events, just like we do with phones and tablets. I/O is a dev conference so it doesn't really fit now that the platform is an established thing. Even Nexus devices have generally moved away from being launched at I/O.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Google is tired of Wear already, they moved on to cardboard.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CaptainN posted:

The tech press seems to be insisting that the next 360 announcement is imminent. If the flat tire is gone I'm really interested in it.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.
Would I be a total moron to buy a Moto 360 at the moment? I've been waiting for v.2, but since there weren't any major Android Wear enhancements announced at I/O, I can't imagine the new model will be anything more than a minor update (except maybe for eliminating the flat tire). My credit card gives me an automatic 60-day return policy for items under $250 (I can mail it in--computers and cell phones are included though jewelery is excluded, so I need to call them up to verify), so I know I can swap it if the new model is announced a month later.

Kakairo fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 29, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Kakairo posted:

Would I be a total moron to buy a Moto 360 at the moment? I've been waiting for v.2, but since there weren't any major Android Wear enhancements announced at I/O, I can't imagine the new model will be anything more than a minor update (except maybe for eliminating the flat tire).
The 360 used a significantly older processor than other Android Wear devices. It's assumed that a respin will use a newer one with significant performance and battery life improvements.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

LastInLine posted:

The tech press seems to be insisting that the next 360 announcement is imminent. If the flat tire is gone I'm really interested in it.

Based on some some leaks that may or may not be true, flat tire is still in effect.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Rastor posted:

The 360 used a significantly older processor than other Android Wear devices. It's assumed that a respin will use a newer one with significant performance and battery life improvements.

I'd still consider that "minor" in the grand scheme of things (any new model of a phone/computer/smartwatch/etc. better be faster and more efficient), but I forgot that the 360 was way behind the other models in processing power.

Google's sale price runs through July 9, so I guess I have a week to mull it over (and wait for announcements).

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The 360s are getting sold at pretty steep discounts and the price can only go down. It's a nice wear device and if you can accept the limitations at that price then go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love my 360 and don't regret buying it but I can't deny that the performance when it first lights up is consistently janky and the battery life is acceptable but nothing more. I'm not desperate to replace it but if someone makes a round watch that looks as good as the 360 with a modern SoC and an OLED screen I'm going to find it pretty hard to resist.

It really depends how cheap you can get it as to whether the 360 is a good buy right now. For ~100 I'd say it'd be good value, as long as you're aware of the compromises.