Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
"Traditional" watches aren't 46mm. The IWC big pilot, the watch that arguably launched the hugewatch trend is only 46mm. That Invicta must be at least 50mm, a size anyone but Arnold Schwarzenegger would laugh at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads

nmfree posted:

Both the Invicta and the Moto 360 in my picture have a diameter of... 46mm.

I know the Moto 360 is 46mm. My point was that 46mm is larger than "traditional" watches. The recent trend of much larger watches doesn't represent "tradition": it's been a short-lived but popular fashion which is already starting to slow down among the major watch makers.

As for the Invicta, it just looks larger than the 360. Some watches look bigger than their measurements due to a variety of design factors. The lack of lugs on the Moto are probably a big factor in making it appear smaller. It will certainly wear smaller on your wrist than the Invicta.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The new 360 has also been spotted in the wild on wrists in Chicago.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/21/moto-360-2015-in-the-wild/

I'm torn on whether or not I want to upgrade. One one hand, new hotness, on the other hand, my 360 does everything I want it to do so why not just skip a gen and go with a 3rd gen device that will be even better.

Is it just me, or do the lugs look way closer together on that first shot (making for a narrower band)? Because it looks ridiculous in that picture.

One of my issues with many smart watches is that they look so huge. I understand that it helps increase functionality with a touch screen and larger display, not to mention space for a battery, but when you mimic an existing design (like a watch shape) but completely miss the proportions it just ends up looking cartoonish.

VVVVV edit: Ah, that would explain it. But the case doesn't look appreciably smaller, just the lug width. Hard to tell from the one photo.

Ethelinda Sapsea fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 21, 2015

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Tunga posted:

They put the display driver/connection there too. I imagine it's not practical to have that in a narrow sticky-out lug.

Edit:

18mm and 22mm are strap sizes, so that's exactly what bull means, just narrower lugs on the same case.

I did some quick comparisons and it definitely seems as though the lugs are narrower on the gold watch (or the watch is bigger, can't be certain):

Open these in two tabs and switch between them to see the difference, the top lug is clearly inside the grey one:
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/wmDMfzq.jpg[/img][/timg]
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/B2YdxPh.jpg[/img][/timg]

Or if we match the lugs, the watches are different sizes:
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/T7wegz0.jpg[/img][/timg]

This could just be a trick of the angles but it doesn't seem that way.

I haven't read too many rumors or leaks about the new 360. I would hope if they make a version with narrower lugs that the case would be commensurately smaller. As you say, those pics aren't enough to say for sure what's going on. All I know is that the narrow banded watch looks terrible on that guy's wrist.