Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

I thought the return policy on electronics was 90 days and they compensate for this by extending your warranty by a year.

Not that I'm returning mine, I feel like I've gotten my $220 worth out of it from when it first showed up at Costco in January and more so if the wifi update hits it.

The Moto 360 is classified as jewelry by Costco...so, return it 10 yrs from now, full refund. If you are an rear end in a top hat, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

This, so much. My 360 typically cruises through a day with easily 30% left. Today, I hit a 6% low battery warning at 2pm.

No clue why.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Has any 360 anywhere received 5.1?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

Bought a steel bracelet moto 360...it isn't big enough to fit around my wrists. :saddowns: (No, I don't have fat arms).

Did you unhinge both of the butterfly clasps? I initially didn't do that and later figured it out.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 1, 2015

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I never understood the anger about the flat tire. While I no longer have a 360, when I did it was an absolute non issue. All these geeks online returning their 360 then blasting the new one because of that little flat portion are a unique bunch.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
As wonderful as Qi on a watch may be, can the watch lay flat on a Qi pad if it has a metal band? All the photos I've seen is the leather band opened and the watch laying flat. If if can, wouldn't it be a janky process to delicately place it so that it balances?

At this point, the Huawei and Moto are essentially identical (as are all same-gen Wear devices it seems) so it comes down to ambient sensor/flat tire/qi and always on/oled/round.

If the Huawei is very visible in sun, I think that's the one I prefer. But $400? drat.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So basically the 42mm vs 46mm translates into 100mAh more in the 46mm (which is the size of the gen1 360)? Not sure if that's worth an extra $50, especially if the new processor gets you through a full ~18 hr day on a single charge. Also the 42 may look less...nerdy? The gen1 always looked huge to me.

The design options are a bit paralyzing making it real hard to settle on a look. Silver metal band/case with a black front looks decent. But so do several other combos. gently caress gold though. Gaudy, IMO.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I did it. I designed the worst possible look. Aside from the obvious, the knurl (lol) pattern looks....weird. Just doesn't fit the rest of the design, IMO. Maybe a black face. Maybe.

:barf:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Three Olives posted:

God drat it.

Did you attach the rabbit ears correctly? Maybe wrap them in tin foil and try channel 13?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

This guy somehow got his hands on two Huatches a while ago and does a good review. I am fully onboard the Huawei train, gently caress money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d29_yXZQIU

That looks really nice. Silly concern...is getting a Huawei over a 360 going to translate into slower OTAs? For some reason I have in my head that the 360 is more of a "pure Android" watch and the Huawei has too many Huawei specific features that may slow updates.

Christ we are getting to the point of choosing a watch based on OTA confidence. That's weird.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Found a 42mm black/black Moto 360 2015 at bestbuy. Can verify it charges on my regular old qi chargers regardless of what moto says.

I don't know, really, but based on what the internet suggests, it will not. For example, it won't lay flat, so charging on the Qi pads you already have won't work. I think the lugs prevent it from working in the OG 360 Qi dock (and flat pads).

If this is true, it's as bad as the Huawei proprietary charger. Qi is no longer a ubiquitous feature on the gen2 360.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

I had it charging on my lg lcw300 puck

Oh, carry on then. I have no clue.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Was putzing around in Best Buy this afternoon and spotted one Huawei watch (and 3 new 360s) in the case. Ended up grabbing the Huawei. Not too enamored with the leather band, but it looks to be very swappable, so will grab a metal one later.

If you do get any watch at Best Buy, don't forget the $15 gift card offer. They had a stack of xeroxed papers by the display. Just bring it to the register and get your card (you can't use it on the purchase).

Looks pretty nice so far. The 360 looks good too, but the display is dim, jagged text and overall reheated leftovers from the 1st gen (I never liked the first one to begin with).

The BB guys were stunned they had one at all, as was I. Impulse buy for sure. $40 in reward credits plus the $15 gift card made it easier to just buy it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

What gift card offer?

I really don't know. There was a small stack of black and white little square coupons with a bar code sitting on top of the watch case. I didn't even see them until the sales guy was like "oh, here's a coupon for a $15 gift card - works on any watch except the Apple Watch." He just scanned the bar code and I walked out with a gift card.

Says "demo days" or whatever on my receipt. No clue, really. Just free money.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

ringu0 posted:

Apologies for repeating the previous poster, but... what reward credits? I'm looking through the current BB deals, and I'm not seeing it.

Basically as you spend money they give you certificates to use on future purchases. Kind of like cash back programs.

You have to be a Rewards Zone member (free) and use that on every purchase to accumulate points.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I had that issue on the gen 1 360. Just settled on loose and it always aggravated the poo poo out of me.

The leather strap on the Huawei fits absolutely perfect. Too bad it doesn't look all that great to me (I prefer metal) but drat if it isn't comfortable.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I haven't used Android Wear in a while, so this may not be new. When driving, I remember the watch waking up a million times and draining the battery. Putting it into theater mode helped this. I just got finished driving home via the freeway and was using Google Maps. It put the watch display into a basic black and white mode with an outline of the map on the screen and the next turn on the lower card. Don't think this is new.

What seemed to be new was the fact that over ~40mph, when I raised my wrist, the display didn't wake. It stayed in the dim black and white mode. Tried it several times on the freeway, never woke. When I exited and slowed, raising my arm turned the watch fully on with colors, waking it.

Is this new or am I seriously out of date? Seems like a great feature since I use navigation a lot and recall it chugging power on the gen 1 360 because it woke the face up with every movement it seemed.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Tunga posted:

What colour combo did you go for?

My biggest concern with upgrading form the OG 360 is that the ambient mode looks really ugly on the new one. Can anyone who has owned both comment on this?

I don't own the gen2 360 but do have the Huawei. All I can say is if you are looking for a sharp, bright screen, look no further than the Huawei. It's crispy as hell. I've seen the gen 2 360 in-person and was not impressed. Seems much of the same as the gen1. An LCD, even with a light sensor, isn't the best choice for a smartwatch in my opinion.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Three Olives posted:

The Q Founder is now on sale, only the stainless steel for $295 and still no indication of display type.

Given the ~FLAT TIRE~ on the bottom, it has to be LCD. Probably sourced the same panel from Moto's supplier.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Any word on the much ballyhooed Huawei update to Marshmallow? Some dude on reddit posted a video of the speaker working a while back and it's been silent ever since.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Rastor posted:

just walk into your important business meeting sporting a rubber watch band and own it.

I see Armani suits and rubber fitbits every day...it's a social statement thing "this guy works out and cares about himself" or something like that...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Oh hey, picked up an S3 Frontier LTE from T-Mo today. It's really nice. It's pretty big (think Mission big).

Sarnsun'g I guess, but I like it. Everything works great with the Pixel, but Samsung Pay is MIA. Funny since it's advertised as functional when paired with a non-Samsung phone. Oops, Sarnsun'g I suppose.

Maybe an update will enable it, maybe I was lied to. Either way, the hardware is nice enough for me to not get bitchy about it being missing.

Sure, I'd love to have googly everything, but it's pretty nice as-is. Having a full cellular connection for runs (sans phone) that can stream audio via BT headphones and make/receive calls and texts is pretty nifty.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Wrong thread.

I'm aware TYYZENN isn't welcome here. Just thought, since it's kinda a competitor to AW, some would find it interesting.

I'll bring my poo poo-slop posting to the generic wearables thread from now on, thanks.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Tizen is welcome here in the sense that it's good to know how it compares to AW.

I'm not saying you can't post about it in here, I'm telling you this is the Android thread in case you made a mistake.

We occasionally get people posting stuff in here without realizing there's another thread.

Good stuff, thanks. I'm not exactly wanting to go to war with a mod, so...

I'm hyper aware Samsung watches do not run Android Wear, and I was considering the S3 or the Zenwatch 3. Thought maybe there may be a goon or two out there in the same predicament, so I posted here. The S3 is super nice, but I'm already getting annoyed at the lovely apps on the Samsung store. The battery life is totally bonkers good though, so Samsung has Tizen optimized the gently caress out I guess. Went for a run this morning and GPS worked great. Locked in about 30 seconds. Heart rate was accurate.

Nobody should be surprised I'm considering bailing already because, well, it's me. I want to like it. Tizen is super logical for a watch...no swipe, swipe swiping like AW, but the lack of apps and Google services is grating on me already.

I don't need 145 apps on my wrist, but there are a few logical things that aren't available on this device (Allo replies, GP Music, other Android-y things).

It's a solid device if anyone goes into buying it okay with it having a strong Samsung approach, rather than a Google one. I knew this going in but am having doubts already.

hotsauce.txt

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I returned the S3 and grabbed a barely used Huawei w/mesh band for $100. Tizen drove me nuts. Super battery life but not having Google services was poo poo.

Hopefully the Pixel watches are a thing.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Nope. Visa checkout deal is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Does it support Samsung pay when paired with a non Samsung phone through.

Most modern phones, yes. No Pixel though. Why? Because Samsung.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 29, 2017