Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
He's right in that case though? The 360 is regarded as the best and it has the performance and battery problems caused by the old SoC, plus the flat tire that bothers a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The 360 has an ambient light sensor. That's part of why it has the flat tire.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Does it get all day battery life with ambient display now?
I don't have one, but you're supposed to be able to get a day with it after an update that came out a while back. Why are you asking this like you knew all along immediately after making two posts claiming the opposite?

I guess that answers my question.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I wouldn't call any of those "glaring" issues.

It lasts all day with always on screen, and the flat tire thing is just a subjective issue.

Sure, they all have issues, none of them are really objective glaring issues.
He said compromises, which is correct. The flat tire is a compromise to allow for the light sensor and thin bezel. The bad battery life is a compromise to keep it cheap. Those are the two biggest complaints with it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

It's not if it had any compromises, it's if they were "glaring" or not. That's entirely subjective, and Thermopyle and I disagree on the matter. That's probably why he bought one and I didn't!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Android Police is reporting there are going to be two Nexus Android Wear devices.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I have the Explorist. I paid a lot more for it than that and still think it was worth it. The charger is a little fiddly so I had one of my friends 3d print me a base for it. I have a small problem with it where leaving it on the charger over a day will make it drain faster than normal unless I reboot it first. I get lots of comments on it, mostly from other watch-wearing dorks.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

wolrah posted:

I definitely want my next watch to have wireless charging
My Explorist has this and the charging disc is really light so you can't count on it staying put. I had a coworker 3d print a dock and it works really well.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The Wearos update seems to have improved the battery life on my q explorist. I'm at 69% (nice) after 9 hours with ambient display on. With the previous version I'd be at around 50% by now.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm tempted by the sale on the gen 3 Fossil Explorist. Anyone have any opinions/experiences with it?
I have one and stopped using it about a month ago because the latest update absolutely murdered both battery life and performance and made it repeatedly disconnect from my phone. I did a factory reset to no avail. Before that I would have had no problem recommending it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

TorakFade posted:

My Huawei Watch 2 got a lot of updates lately (in the last few months I mean), and I noticed after a period of not using it at all, that it became *extremely* sluggish. It was never a champion of speed, having noticeable delays (I want to say around 0.5-1 second?) every time I "clicked" on something, but now the delays are more in the 2-3 seconds range, making me double tap because it really looks like the input was not taken at all, and it's incredibly frustrating

Any possible cause/solution? Could it be related to some recent WearOS updates? :(

This is what happened to my Q Explorist. I've reset it multiple times and it still runs like garbage. Scrolling either doesn't work or overshoots after a huge delay. Tapping anything is a several-second wait. I've left it turned off because otherwise I'll get several pairing notifications when it's within range. It was absolutely something to do with an update because up until a month or so ago it worked fine.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I think it's on the latest but I'll check when I get home.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Unlike butt dickus though my watch has been stable and responsive on the H update.
Totally forgot about this. I updated mine and it's been working much better, but it's still noticeably slower than it was over the summer. I've gotten out of the habit of wearing it so it spends most of the time on its 3d-printed cradle. The few times I've worn it since the update the battery life has been ok (ending the day with 20%) but nothing like it used to be.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I'd like to know more. Got a link to however things like this are shared? This is outside my realm of expertise but my wife has a 3D printer at her work she can use.
I'm pretty sure it's this one. There's more if you search for "Q Explorist" on Thingiverse. I had to put some wax in the back to make the charging puck stick in place.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Is the new Snapdragon Wear 429 going to be decent? I stopped using my Q Explorist a long time ago because it ran like complete garbage. I liked having a watch but it was completely unpredictable and could last anywhere from 4 to 48 hours on a charge. I never used it for anything other than the time and notifications because it was slower than pulling my phone out of my pocket.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I'm surprised to hear about your inconsistent battery life though. My Explorist HR is mostly identical and used for exactly the same two things only and is remarkably consistent in its battery consumption at right around 24 hours. That was true of the first one and its replacement.
It has sucked whole rear end after a specific update, I can't remember which one. It also disconnects intermittently and randomly hangs. I loved it when I first got it but it's pretty much useless right now. I've factory reset it multiple times but to no avail.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

if i get a wearos watch with wifi only can i download an album to it from youtube music and listen to it on my pixel buds without needing my phone nearby?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

thanks. i've never made a playlist in my life but i'm sure i can manage it. now to wait and see if the pixel watch ever shows up

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I agree. I don't mind the location stuff, I find the ability to look at my own history interesting. But fitness poo poo is just not worth the battery usage. I do not need it to monitor my heartrate. I do not need it nagging me about steps. I will never inform my watch that I am doing a workout. Hell, I don't even use the voice assistant. Mostly because it doesn't work, but also because gently caress speaking aloud when I don't have to.
:amen:
i've managed to work out without needing a heart rate monitor or any of that other poo poo. what i need is a smarttooth that can tell me how much protein i'm eating (and to eat more, probably)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

the 7 Pro gets you $200, so their intent seems to be to have you use the phone preorder credit on the Watch.
if that's true then why did sundar come over personally and force me to buy the phone and watch at the same time? i'm gonna use my credit on the tablet when it comes out.

also i bought the lte one what's the best way to get service for it

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

my pixel watch arrived. the box is bigger than the one my 7pro came in but there's no plastic in the packaging which is nice. it's smaller than i expected it to be, but i compared it to one of the watches i wear regularly and it's almost exactly the same size. the latching mechanism on the band is odd, especially how you tuck the slack underneath. the band that came installed is too long for my apparently slender wrists so i swapped to the other one and it's more comfortable. there is a second button above the crown for switching apps but it is difficult to press without having a finger on the other side of the watch to do a pinch motion

i turned it on and got a surprisingly loud chime and the vibration was good too. when it turned on it just showed a phone and a watch icon and i wasn't sure what it wanted but if you tap the screen it tells you to install the pixel watch app on your phone, which annoys me because i had my app drawer down to exactly 8 rows and now it is ruined. then you do the pairing which was straightforward. it then made me agree to some stuff including an arbitration agreement. the text made it sound like i didn't need to agree with it but when i picked "disagree" it rebooted the watch and i had to start over. i did that all over again and it had me set up a pin but it's limited to 4 digits which bugs me.

it ran me through the tutorial stuff which i'm sure i'm going to forget and also had me install the fitbit app on my phone. i bought the LTE version hoping that i could get google fi but it didn't give me the option to pick a provider different from what i'm using on my phone so i'll worry about that later.

i then decided i should put some stuff on the watch and figured authenticator would make perfect sense to have on a watch. i opened the watch app on my phone and it had a button to open the play store, how convenient! i searched for "google authenticator" and it brought me to the page for the phone app that i already have installed on my phone with no option to install it. i went to the play store on the watch and searched for it using voice search, which i hate, and it did not come up at all, so google never bothered to port it to wear. i can't think of anything else useful to have on the watch but maybe i'll figure something out after i wear it for a while

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I'm surprised no reviewer commented on the pogo connector pins that are hidden under the top watch band. I wonder if that's strictly diagnostics or if they have smart band accessories planned for the future.
i read it in 9to5google's review

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i have google wallet (or pay? whatever it is) on my watch and i set up a card. does it work like my phone where i just keep it unlocked and boop it on the terminal or do i need to do something else first? i'm already gonna look like a douche doing it but would like to minimize that

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

On the pixel watch, you can't assign a button shortcut
what's the point of this? i can put it on my watch face but it's gray and tapping it does nothing

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Do you have it setup yet? I haven't tried the complication yet.
yeah i used it at the corner store but i used the quick settings button you mentioned to bring it up in advance

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i had absolutely terrible battery life for a few days, it would be down to 20% after 8 hours of doing nothing, but it's been behaving lately, right now at 89% after ~6 hours today. i was excited to use it for tap to pay but the last couple of times i've tried it have either done nothing or put the terminal in the error state where i have to get out my phone anyway. it worked the first time i used it but i don't want to waste other peoples' time by dicking around with my watch while in line

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i left my pixel watch on the charger all night and it reported 77% battery this morning when i put it on. i've had it on for about 3 hours now and it still says 77% and it has the lightning bolt icon like it thinks that it's charging

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i have the following:
pixel phone
pixel watch
pixel buds
youtube premium

i want to do this:
put one album on my watch and listen to it via the headphones while my phone is in a locker. how do i do this

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

google says to do this to change faces from the watch but it has never worked on my pixel watch. if i press and hold, nothing happens at all. swiping to the left gives me the weather and other tiles. is there something i'm missing? i've always had to do it from my phone

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

android police put out an article about blood pressure monitoring wearables a couple days ago
https://www.androidpolice.com/blood-pressure-smartwatches/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

today when i went to mow my yard, i put on my watch and earbuds like normal, and opened youtube music to play the same album i always play which i have downloaded on my watch. i tap it from the "Downloads" section and instead of getting a play button, i get a checkmark and a shuffle icon. tapping the checkmark asks me if i want to remove the download from my watch, and tapping the shuffle button shuffles the album, neither of which are things i want. how do i get it to play the album straight through like it used to?