Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Ars doesn't seem to care for it too much either https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/02/huawei-watch-2-hands-on-this-feels-like-a-last-gen-smartwatch/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Wendigee posted:

I don't understand why anyone gives a poo poo about LTE, NFC, or Android Pay on their smart watch.

You are buying things so often you can't bother to bring your phone or credit card out of your pocket to buy something? Jesus. NFC is also useless except for switching settings to a new device as far as I can tell.

My Zenwatch 1 has finally stopped working so great... the last version of zen manager refuses to connect to it and it is slaying my battery as it constantly tries to connect.

I just want an AW 2.0 watch that runs for 48 hours and isn't larger than a loving Casio G-shock. I don't need GPS or any of this other bullshit on it to drain the battery. I got a phone in my pocket. The watch is just an interface for when I'm driving or playing a sport or something and don't want or can't access the phone in my pocket...

Ya'll crazy.

Some people exercise without their phones and want the ability to pay for things in that scenario. This is not hard to understand.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Good Canadian Boy posted:

Lol my gear s3 is so good. Just bite the bullet ya'll. They just added my fitness pal support too :D

So good at being Samsung'd https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/samsung-tizen-operating-system-bugs-vulnerabilities

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I've not used AW much but I just tested the notification stuff by sending him a text and it seems to work pretty well? The thing popped up full screen and easy to read. There's a lil notification dot at the bottom that tells you if you missed/unread notifications so you just swipe up and see them full screen there as well. Is this somehow a step back?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

LastInLine posted:

Yes, the notification used to stay on the screen until you did something with it (at least it could be configured as such). The difference between knowing you have a notification but have to act to view it compared to just glancing is enormous because the only time you care about seeing it at a glance is when you're too busy to pay attention, such as when you're driving.

It's quite literally the difference between useful and useless. If I have to act to view the notification, I'll use my phone--the whole point of having a second screen is lost if you have to interact with it to make it useful.

There is a way to make incoming notifications take up the entire screen and never dismiss but then that's not quite the same either. Peek notifications were the whole paradigm Wear was based around and now it's not even an option, it's just gone. Either notifications go completely unnoticed or they require so much effort to see that it negates the point.

Ah thanks, that helps clear up my confusion.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
The windows phone of smart watches.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

At least it does more than Android Wear 2.0 :shrug:

I really really liked Windows Phone. It still died a sad death because nobody could justify the cost of building/maintaining an app for the platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

I've had the Misfit Vapor for about a week now and I'd strongly recommend it if you're looking for a good looking, round, smartwatch. It'll take any 20mm band so I love the fact that I can essentially have a new watch everyday.

As an activity tracker it sorta blows, though.

How's the battery life? I've been eyeing the vapor.