Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Android Wear is an operating system, not a watch. It's not customizable by companies like Android for phones is, though, so it's the same on everything minus a few watch faces.

This video explains the latest software version and shows how the two best watches work pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RDd2TIKdiw

As for specs, google it beatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Supporting android wear apps and being an android wear device are totally different things. Pebble is not android wear any more than a Mac with Office is a PC.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

torgeaux posted:

yeah, I figured that much. What I'm asking is, what does the base OS do if you don't run an app? What is the AW watch going to do that the Pebble can't? I don't mean where the Pebble could run a similar app, but where the AW OS does something that isn't an app.

I'm not very familiar with Pebble but I don't install any apps on my watch. That's not what it's about, it's not just another phone/tablet. Its base features are what I use it for - quick view of notifications, time, voice control, media control, etc.

For me personally there isn't a huge difference on a checklist of features - the real difference is the execution. I find Pebble watches to be ugly and clunky looking. AW has a lot of room to improve itself but the hardware and software looks a lot better.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 19, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah if privacy is a concern then sell your phone and don't even think of buying a watch. And disconnect your internet.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

You have to surrender your privacy to use this stuff. That's the point. No one is being rude to you, we're telling the truth.

edit: haha holy gently caress you are a spaz. Not wasting another reply on this

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 21, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

SpelledBackwards posted:

Jesus H., I looked up a photo of it and it is sexy as hell. Whichever watch it is seems mega huge, and I've got tiny wrists :(

I felt like the 360 was almost too small on me.

A bit concerned by moto execs saying the next one will be smaller.

edit: whoopsie that was a big photo

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 22, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Apparently G Watch Urbanes (such a terrible name) will be in google play stores in 13 countries before the end of the month. Which is weird because you still can't get the G Watch R from google in Canada.

I am considering the silver one a little more than I'd like to admit.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LG Urbane is supposed to come out in North America this week. This video is in Italian but sure makes the watch look good........................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhc4HGEs5x4

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Urbane is available now through Clove in the UK for 259.99, and sounds like will be available at Verizon at least for $350. Which means it'll be $400+ plus $50+ tax in Canada, which means I might as well import from Korea for cheaper/faster again.

And apparently I'm the only goon who cares.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rastor posted:

For me, the unveiling of the Huawei Watch stole a lot of the Urbane's thunder. On the other hand, the Urbane is available now / tomorrow and the Huawei Watch is not.

Yeah knowing me I'll probably end up buying both. I sold my 360 for more than I bought it for so it works out.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

It looks better in video compared to some of the lg provided photos so I'm hoping it looks good in person. Either way I'll be able to give a first hand impression soon. There's a chance I'll sell it and keep the GWR.

And it's more of a GWR with different externals than internals.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rastor posted:

Watch Urbane is now available in The Google Store, $349.

$400 for Canadians as predicted. Gold is not available. Good on Google for actually selling it though, unlike the GWR. My watch arrives from Korea tomorrow, $25 cheaper than that. Silly country.

edit: also noticed it has a 2-3 week wait. They pulled the same poo poo with the Nexus 6, allow you to buy it but not get it for ages.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 28, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Urbane in da hizouse.

Makes a good first impression. Software seems identical to the GWR which is a plus of course. I'm terrified of dropping it though because one scuff would ruin it. The strap is much better quality than the GWR or 360 or anything else.

I'm much more of a sporty watch guy so the style is a bit of an adjustment for me, but I don't feel like I'm wearing a geeky toy anymore. May be too big for people with small wrists - it feels bigger than the GWR somehow (more rigid/flat maybe?), and you can see how small the 360 looked on me up thread.

That's about all I have to say right now. Installing updates is taking forever...

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Urbane battery at 50% after 12.5 hours of heavy usage/always on full brightness screen for anyone who cares. Wifi is also on.

Also redditors still downvote anything that doesn't declare the Moto 360 to be the best watch to ever exist forever and always. Gotta love those guys, you'd think they'd be over it by now.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Takoluka posted:

As long as your phone is connected to any data network or WiFi, and as long as your watch is connected to *a* WiFi network, it will work. In theory.

It seems like my Urbane has slightly less bluetooth range than my GWR, so when I went to the outer edges of my condo it lost connection. But since activating wifi I haven't seen the disconnected icon, for what it's worth.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Highly competent people wouldn't put a smart watch in the "can return for a full refund forever" category.

In other news, the Urbane is a big hit at work, and even some people who don't like the GWR want one. I will single handedly bring android wear to the masses.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ja_raul posted:

so wait until the Urbane is available at Costco?

Well just buy every watch I suppose. Why not right?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Someone finally made an Urbane review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-OE91VVTUQ

Tiny wristed reviewer as usual.

Some info on 5.1 even if you don't care about the watch.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

OK, just thought they'd come out sooner. It's been available since late April.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I wore g-shocks before I got into smart watches so if anything my style is more svelte now. e.g. (my pic)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The 360 is a piece of poo poo that looks pretty great. The other Android Wear watches look like poo poo for the most part but run better.

360's marketing has been much better too so they have some rabid fanboys.

Thermopyle posted:

It lasts all day with always on screen, and the flat tire thing is just a subjective issue.

The 360 does not have an always on option - the battery can't take it. It has a super dim "ambient mode." Other watches actually stay on full brightness for two days without issues. That was my biggest problem with it.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 14, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Takoluka posted:

But why would you want always full brightness and not "Don't be bright when I'm not looking at it"?

For me personally, I don't make the required 45 degree wrist tilt naturally, so I need true always-on. The 360 gyroscope was very frustrating since I'd always be staring at a dark screen. I have to check my watch dozens of times at work too.

I admit this may not be the experience of the majority.

G-Prime posted:

Vague ideas of wanting to keep up the appearance of it being a "normal" watch rather than some nerdy toy.

Not at all for me, I wore a goddamn Gear Live and Gear Fit before my 360.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Exactly. I don't want a constant light source on my wrist with a white watch face. It looks and works fine.

You can toggle it on watches with good hardware if it really bothers you.

But no one ever notices the light unless its dark.

Thermopyle posted:

But that doesn't require full brightness,or am I just not understanding you?

It does when you're not an office worker. I couldn't read ambient mode unless inside.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My wife calls all video games Nintendo because she knows it drives me nuts.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

As the token goon Urbane owner I'm very happy with it and very skeptical of Huawei but that's probably my unfair racism more than anything.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

It's that price because the new 360 will be announced by the end of the week. I know buying stuff cheap is priority no. 1 to a lot of people but I'd wait.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

edit: nm

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CaptainN posted:

Do you reckon we're likely to see new watch(es) announced during any of today's events?

I guess not. I thought it was a sure thing with all the price drops and being a year from the last one.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Zenwatch 2 was announced I guess? Fall release

http://www.androidcentral.com/asus-announces-zenwatch-2-two-sizes-and-three-colors-optional-steel-band

Looks nice, still wish they could reduce those bezels.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I still need to sell my GWR if you want a barely used one with a steel band at a reasonable price.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nitrousoxide posted:

I might be interested as well, could you put it up on goonmart?

Apparently it's $99 with at&t, I can't compete with that. I could sell it to a fellow Canadian for at least $200 I think, it's not even out here yet.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Apparently G Watch Rs are being "wound down," that is production has stopped. Strange decision by LG. Not sure if that makes mine more or less valuable.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...y-discontinued/

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah, I'm sure your android device appreciated in value.

Probably a temp boost by people who think it's the nicest looking current one but never bought one. Gonna list it.

Three Olives posted:

I would guess that it signals a price drop for the Urban as we move to second gen hardware.

This was second gen IMO. G Watch/Gear Live were first gen.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 4, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Got a steel band for my Urbane after a month of customs hell, pretty happy with it. It hides the worst part of the Urbane, ie the giant lugs

I thought I scuffed it on the bottom after seeing that shot but it was just goon grime :)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

How do all your tendons fit through that tiny space

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

You don't ever look at your watch without moving your wrist much? It's funny how different everyone's experiences are.

I guess it makes more sense if you never wore a watch before smartwatches, but I've been wearing one every day since I was about 10 years old.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Kakairo posted:

I wore watches every day for over 15 years, so I'm used to very fast glances without much motion needed. I'm not always twisting my wrist significantly.

Anyway, time to experiment with ambient off today.

So doesn't that mean you're staring at a black screen a lot without ambient mode? It did for me.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not sure if time-spent-wearing-regular-watches is a useful metric in this discussion, but I wore a regular watch all day long for at least 15 years. Then I stopped for 10 years. Then I got a 360 a couple months ago.

I figured maybe people that are new to wrist watches or don't rely on them for time aren't as reliant on it being on when they look, and have learned from the start to make an exaggerated movement. The difference between 5 or 10 years doesn't matter much, just habits.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah I agree it's a step back for voice control, which I use a lot for sending texts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm in San Francisco right now and have seen tons of Apple Watches and 360s. Nothing else though.

The amount of smartwatches I've seen on people that haven't bought one after talking to me in Vancouver is about 2.

Most people have no idea my Urbane is a smart watch but some say they like how the hands glow.