Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Since it's Black Friday/Cyber Monday I'm debating grabbing a smartwatch since I just upgraded my phone (to a Pixel). Finding myself a bit overwhelmed by the options, but fortunately I don't have any particular brand loyalty.

What's a reasonably affordable android smartwatch that can use apps? I do some disc golf so I'd like to be able to use UDisc and such. I'm in Canada so I get the joy of adding about 30% to any of the prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Thanks for the recommendation! I was kind of surprised how many players are in the space now. Wasn't expecting to see Fossil, honestly. Garmin makes sense to be in the space. It's a bit of a strange niche still.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Has anyone ever found any watch faces with media controls/display right on the main phase? I've seen a few where you can use media controller as a complication to play/pause, but that's about the only functionality I've ever seen. It's suspiciously absent to the point where I'm curious whether it's possible to do.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Organic Lube User posted:

I'm mostly interested in ECG mode and also I'm hoping that I can use this feature I just read about where you can make your watch act as a virtual bluetooth mouse that will even recognize your finger taps as mouseclicks. That would be super handy for me, but seems to also be only for Samsung phones.

Depending on what you're looking for you could try this; https://play.google.com/store/search?q=wearmouse&c=apps

I've got it on my Galaxy 5, and while I haven't played with it lots yet it seems kind of like what you're asking for and wouldn't require all the extra stuff.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Frankly if you're considering the Galaxy watches I'd consider waiting for the 7. The articles I see appear to be talking about a dramatic increase in battery life.

I've got the 5, I can get up to 2 days out of it, but I usually just charge it every other evening while I'm surfing or whatever. I'm probably going to update to a 7 when they come out myself, but I'm waiting to see what the models are. I'd be tempted by a pro if the battery life is that much better, or by a square face if they do end up going that direction as rumored and it looks ok.

I don't know too much about the pixels though, so I can't give you a fair comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
I'll second the glass (and the doorframes), it's honestly surprised me. I've just got the Galaxy 5, not the pro. It's my first smartwatch so I figured I would see how I liked them before I sprung for a pro.

My next one will be a pro.