Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Android Wear is Google's foray into the wearable marketplace OS field, as long as you ignore the Motoactv. As of this OP, it's still roughly in the first generation slowly moving onto the second generation and is definitely not for everyone. AW (android wear) differentiates itself from every other smartwatch company/series out there (Pebble, Gear, Fitbit, Jawbone, Apple) by having a ton of companies design and build watches for them, a la Android. This method gives you a wide variety of prices, quality, features, and design. Also if you want a smartwatch that is actually circular, AW is your only choice unless you want to go with trash. As of August, Android Wear is now largely compatible on iOS devices. More on that below.

Current Version: 5.0 Lollipop (as of Sept 2015)

What The gently caress is an Android Wear :downs:
Android Wear is an operating system for wearables, the same way that Android is the operating system for phones. Android Wear's functionality can be summed up with this good post:

Vagrancy posted:

It probably makes more sense in the context of the UI. Android Wear is divided into two parts, Suggest (cards):

and Demand (Commands):

Using that as a frame you could (arbitrarily) define three levels of support for Android Wear:

Level 0: All notifications on the phone automatically get turned into cards on the watch.

Level 1: The developer of the phone app creates a Wear-optimized alternate version of the notification which gets cardified on the watch instead of the phone version e.g. A x messages Gmail/Inbox summary notification on the phone turns into a card stack where each individual message is readable/dismissable on the watch.

Level 2: The developer of creates an actual Watch APK to run on the watch (which is embedded in the phone app and silently installed). Native apps running on the watch can add watchfaces, post notification cards directly and hook up to the voice/command screen.

Cool Things You Can Do With Your Wrist
See/swipe between notifications. You can also dismiss, reply/respond, open on phone, or block notifications.
Fitness tracking, including steps and heartrate tracking (some watches will keep an average measurement of your HR while others will only take it when you ask it)
Swap between watchfaces (decently large selection of clockfaces on the Play Store)
Not have to deal with OEM skins or other nonsense (if you want ClockWiz, check out Samsung's comedy Tizen offerings)
Standardized watch band sizes, so you can replace you hot pink plastic band with genuine hot pink leather
Google Now on your wrist
Do Not Disturb functionality and vibrate
Kill your erection

Sad Things You Can't Do With Your Wrist
The functionality is somewhat limited to notifications and fitness tracking. The app market is somewhat lacking.
Battery life ranges from suck to somewhat suck, depending on the watch and who you ask. Expect to either charge it after 8-12 hours or 2-3 days. Don't expect Pebble-esque longevity.
First generation functionality until Google releases the next major update

I am really indecisive and can't choose shapes help
Ultimately it comes down to form over function. Information as we currently obtain it is best viewed on a square screen, while watches have been traditionally circular for centuries. Judging from the Wearable thread, I would say that circular is currently the predominantly popular choice, since it adds an acceptable amount of good-looking design at the expense of slightly easier functionality. However, the square watches are currently the cheaper purchase.

All of the current watches on the line-up require the Android Wear app to connect to your phone. This is the only way to get notifications, use Google Now, etc. AW does not yet support LTE or mobile data (a la Gear S). Recent updates now allow WiFi-capable AW watches to connect to your phone via WiFi. This means that you can theoretically stay "connected" to your phone despite being out of Bluetooth range. Not all watches have this capability.

LG G Watch not to be confused with the G Watch R
One of the cheaper, debut versions of Android Wear, the G Watch is a basic entry-level watch for those who have commitment issues, like squares, or are poor. Charges with a cradle.

LG G Watch R, the better looking one of the two.
It looks like an actual traditional watch (complete with time markings which are useless if you run some other watchface), has a ~~~*full circle display*~~~~, and is also the most expensive. It also is the largest, for those with massive wrists. It has speedy internals, an OLED screen, but massive bezels if you're the type of sperg that gets upset about those things. Charges with a cradle.

LG G Watch Urbane (non LTE)
The higher class version of the G Watch R, it ditches the sporty-watch look for a more dress-watch look. The LTE version will not be running AW since the software currently doesn't support it.
Update: On sale for $350 :siren: Go hog wild.

Samsung Gear Live
Did you like the Samsung Gear series? Did you wish you could have an Android version that totally wasn't an afterthought? Well, Samsung will be happy to take your money with this other debut version for poors. Charges with a cradle.

Discontinued on the Play Store. Apparently even Google didn't give a gently caress about it.

Motorola Moto 360, the other circular watch.
In 2014 Motorola made the nerd world cum by announcing and releasing a smartwatch that was circular*. The hypetrain followed but unfortunately the 360 couldn't really live up to it. Nevertheless, it's a solid watch with questionable internals, modern design, and now pretty drat cheap. *Also screen isn't actually fully circular, with a small black bezel on the bottom for drivers and a light sensor. Charges using a QI dock, also compatible with any other QI chargers.

Motorola Moto 360 (2015)
The updated version of the classic 360. Comes in two sizes (men's and women's), has lugs, comes with a bigger battery and not-lovely internals. Still has the FLAT TIRE :argh: for spergs everywhere.

Motorola Moto 360 Sport
It's the same thing as the Moto 360 (2015) but with a silicon strap/case-type thing and built in GPS. As the name implies, it's designed for more fitness tasks.

Sony SmartWatch 3
The understated one with quite a bit of functionality, the SW3 is not an awful choice as it comes with GPS and microusb charging. Design-wise it's a bit bland, but there a metal version if you can find it.

Asus ZenWatch
ASUS's offering is an elegant smartwatch that ultimately does nothing new. Also, if you squint hard enough and drink enough you could probably get people to think it's the Apple Watch. Charges with a cradle.

Asus ZenWatch 2
Comes in two sizes and a new Moto 360-style button. Still will be confused for an Apple Watch.

Huawei Watch, the telecommunications company making a watch that looks pretty loving spiffy. It's also probably going to be amazingly expensive, have awful battery, or both. However, it has a ~~~*full circle display*~~~, and is smaller than other offerings on the market right now.
:siren: Pre-ordering up / Available Now :siren:

Rastor posted:

Surprise! The Huawei Watch can now be preordered on Amazon for release on September 2.

Color choices:
Stainless Steel with Black Suture Leather Strap, $349
Black Stainless Steel with Black Stainless Steel Link Band, $449
Gold Plated Stainless Steel with Brown Suture Leather Strap, $699
Gold Plated Stainless Steel with Gold Plated Stainless Steel, $799

Tag Heuer Connected
It look nice, built well with a ~sapphire screen~ but wait, it's $1,500. People will still buy it(?)

Fossil Q
:siren: flat tire screen :siren: for spergs, costs around $275.
UNRELEASED/NOT APPLICABLE

LG Watch Urbane Second Edition
It has 4G and apparently runs AW. It's also thick as gently caress.

Samsung S-Watch
It's not Android Wear, but it will work with most/all Android phones. Check out the S2 Gear chat over at the Wearables Thread.

Bitchin other things

Rastor posted:

Android Wear protips:

Tired of seeing the persistent Android Wear notification on your phone? Upgrade your Google Play Services to 7.3.

Tired of seeing an app's notifications on your Wear device? you can block that app from sending notifications to Wear.

:siren:iOS Compatibility:siren:
Yes, your favorite useless accessory is now available on iOS devices, saving millions across the world from having to buy a very expensive square wrist-screen.
What you can do on iOS: Text, Google Now/Voice Commands, Notifications, tell the time
What you can't do on iOS: 3rd party watchfaces / 3rd party apps. ONLY COMPATIBLE WITH NEWER WATCHES (Urbane and newer)

logikv9 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

torgeaux posted:

The pebble supports android wear now, too.

It only supports Android Wear in terms of replies right? The watch still uses Pebble's own OS and just uses the AW app.

SpelledBackwards posted:

None of those rectangular screens look like squares to me except for possibly the Asus. Get your geometry right. :colbert:

They are squares to me and will always be squares. If you want a rectangle, look at the Gear S :colbert:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Vagrancy posted:

It probably makes more sense in the context of the UI. Android Wear is divided into two parts, Suggest (cards):

and Demand (Commands):

Using that as a frame you could (arbitrarily) define three levels of support for Android Wear:

Level 0: All notifications on the phone automatically get turned into cards on the watch.

Level 1: The developer of the phone app creates a Wear-optimized alternate version of the notification which gets cardified on the watch instead of the phone version e.g. A x messages Gmail/Inbox summary notification on the phone turns into a card stack where each individual message is readable/dismissable on the watch.

Level 2: The developer of creates an actual Watch APK to run on the watch (which is embedded in the phone app and silently installed). Native apps running on the watch can add watchfaces, post notification cards directly and hook up to the voice/command screen.

The Pebble AW support the article refers to is Level 1 i.e. Pebble can display Wear formatted notifications. It can't (and unless Pebble actually creates an AW device, never will) support Level 2 since it doesn't run Android.

What that actually means in practice is that there are some cards which won't show up in an equivalent form on Pebble. Biggest example would be the Google Now cards, which are generated by an app running directly on the Watch. Naturally everything else in Level 2 won't work either. This also means that any hybrids Pebble intercepts have the potential to show up but be broken i.e. A Watch formatted notification (Level 1), which deeplinks into a native Wear app running on the watch (Level 2) for more in-depth stuff. It will show up on Pebble, but the native parts won't work.

So there's quite a bit of difference, but its a obfuscated since the UI model papers over the implementation.

Well, aside from philosophical there are technical constraints preventing watches from becoming phone replacements i.e. battery capacity. Stuff like the new IP6 over BTLE in the Bluetooth 4.1 spec will help things along quite a bit, but even that will take quite a while to propagate. Routers with BTLE support won't become mainstream overnight.

Only thing you'd lose is Now cards in the card stream.

Rastor posted:

Android Wear protips:

Tired of seeing the persistent Android Wear notification on your phone? Upgrade your Google Play Services to 7.3.

Tired of seeing an app's notifications on your Wear device? you can block that app from sending notifications to Wear.

These are both good posts and added to the op.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Hughmoris posted:

Vague question here but are there any conventions or conferences coming up anytime soon where Motorola could announce a new Moto 360?

Google I/O? End of May.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

kitten smoothie posted:

So I've seen two instances this week where navigation on a 4 hour drive has taken the battery on my Moto 360 from 100% down to 0. The battery lasts fine otherwise.

I thought navigation was just sending notifications to the watch like any other app, but it seems to be wakelocking the watch the whole time Google Maps is in navigation mode.

GPS generally kills the battery. The only way to fix it is to turn on airplane mode for the watch when navigating. Blocking the maps app does nothing.

I posted this before though and people responded about how they and no problems with GPS and battery, so it's all a toss-up.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The Urbane looks odd to me. I know it's a G Watch R with different internals (right?) and a grinded-down bezel, but it's too... plain. The bezel is there, but there is nothing to it, it's just a plain circular piece of metal. At least the G Watch R had those useless notches to make it look more like a traditional timepiece, but still.

I'm also thinking it's 80% because I don't like that color combination, or it's a bad photo. OP updated.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Lowen SoDium posted:

I got an Asus Zenwatch coming from Amazon Warehouse deals. I see it is not going to support WiFi. What exactly is WiFi going to do for Android Wear watches? Is it just for phone to watch communications instead of Bluetooth? Is there a reason to want WiFi on Android Wear watches?

If your watch is out of bluetooth range of the phone, it can still be kept updated/"connected" via wifi.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

My question is does it have to be in the same Wi-Fi, or could I leave my phone at home and my watch still works to send texts etc at work?

Any wifi, probably.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Thermopyle posted:

I impulse bought a Moto 360 from the display they had set up at Costco. For anyone wondering, I double checked the return policy and they told me it was "basically jewelery" and you can return it whenever unlike a lot of other electronics.

Welp, I don't want to be a dick abusing this system but it's so incredibly tempting.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Thermopyle posted:

Vibration for notifications on Moto 360 is hilariously weak. So weak that I might return it just because of that.

If I'm sitting still, its OK, but if I'm walking around, driving, doing things with my hands, there's a 50/50 chance I won't notice the vibration.

Using LightFlow allows you to increase the duration/change the pattern of vibrations depending on the notification.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Len posted:

The "tiny wristed reviewer" comments aren't all jokes. Those people have TINY wrists.

And they normally don't wear watches, so they have no experience with larger, traditional watches.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Three Olives posted:

You just described a Pebble.

I was going to post that before but he described something that looked as good as the Moto 360. The pebble always looked good, but it never gave off any sense of fashion or style. I know whenever I had to go somewhere nice, I swapped out my Pebble for something traditional.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Every smartwatch is an Apple Watch, just like how every tablet is an iPad.

There was probably a time when every smartphone was an iPhone, but now it's either an iPhone or a "samsung". All about that name recognition.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Played with the Urbane today. It's smaller than I expected, but the lugs stick out from my wrist and makes it look unbalanced. It also looks a bit tacky.

The screen is perfect, though.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The flat tire is still there. A full-circle screen would have been nice, but I personally don't care. Won't stop the endless bitching, though.

It's overall really nice and I might pick one up, especially if they finally improve the internals/screen. Too bad the Gear S2 is going to be lolTizen, I would be considering that one as well.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
They're forced to differentiate with design, which is easier with watches than it is for phones.

It is the best tradeoff.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Krime posted:

New to the Android Wear stuff.

How well do brands mix and match?

I have a Note 5, would another brand watch work just fine with it?

As long as it runs Android Wear as its OS, all watches work with any Android phone more or less identically.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
OP updated with this nonsensically priced luxury smartwatch product.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm actually considering picking up the SW3 for swimming. It seems nice.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

errad posted:

Will there ever be a android wear version of the samsung gear s2? Or is the problem that android wear can't facilitate the bezel action?

Likely not. Making AW work for the S2's bezel would essentially be like making a AW-skin, since the S2's bezel is patented by Samsung. There are no AW skins permitted, and Samsung isn't going to open up its designs to other manufacturers.

I can see *maybe* making the bezel action translate to a swipe up/down action on AW, but then you're stripping out a lot of the convenience and functionality.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
OP updated.

I haven't been using the OK Google functionality on my phone at all since they removed the "tap to activate" feature. The voice commands occasionally feel a little bit too unreliable for me.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm probably jumping on the third-gen Moto 360 if it isn't purged by the Lenovo overlords. My first-gen has excellent battery life and no newer watch has justified its price with differentiating looks/features.

Although at one point I was so close to jumping to the Huawei watch until I realized that an ambient light sensor is the tits.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Magog posted:

Hey guys, after 15 months the cracks on the back of my Moto 360 finally developed into separate pieces on one side trying to break off. sadface

Yikes, pieces can actually detach? I always thought the cracks were superficial.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Ahahaha holy poo poo people are buying those loving things :psyduck:

Throw me thread title ideas, guys.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Rastor posted:

Android Wear: you can have round or square, but you can't have LTE until LG fixes their poo poo

it's either this or Android Wear: the colors don't match my condo's pool

hmm

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm glad new watches were announced because it seems my OG 360 is on life support. It's either one of these new things or the 360 v2.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
360 dies around 60% battery now. give me my new watches google :f5:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I still can't see the need for a LTE smartwatch. Independence from the phone, sure but the capability is so limited for the price and carrying a phone with you isn't that difficult is it? Even when jogging.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I bought a Pebble Time Round to bide time before the next series of good AW watches came out and now every other watch is a brick to me :eng99:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Looks like they're going to not release any new 360s until the market improves, which might be never. You were good for this world. :smith:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
style looks meh but it'll grow on me

otherwise the reviews look iffy. i'll look at one in a store.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

wolrah posted:

Yikes.

Bottom is a Moto 360 Gen2 42mm, image stolen from Ars.

That too. It's seemingly necessary for cellular, but that's one more good reason why I don't want cellular in my watch.

jesus that thing is a tank and ugly to boot

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

I said come in! posted:

I'm a stupid and bought the Google LG Smartwatch Style. I actually like it but wish the wrist band wasn't leather.

how is the battery life? did it improve since launch

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
there's only so much you can do if the only SoC available is one model from two years ago

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I just want more round smartwatches, is that so hard to have? I'm going to use my pebble time round + cheapo S2 until they're gone.

Google please make a circular pixel watch tia

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
weak sad virgin brain: no flat tire
superior super brain: one flat tire
ultra brain: two flat tires
Supreme Chad Brain: four flat tires

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
qualcomm 100% threw together this processor over the course of several months to superficially prove that they still "care"

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
we should be lucky as hell for those software updates, they had their Best People spending years on designing a cutting edge Next Gen processor which boasts *flips page* basically the same poo poo with one more thing tacked on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
loling that Samsung + Apple will be the only good options going forward just because they have people who give a poo poo designing their chips