Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Just got a Zenwatch 3 on Thursday and I really like it, but I've got a couple questions:

When I swipe over to apps and launch the Zenfit app, it goes to a screen showing my steps/calories for the day. If I set the shortcut button to Zenfit, when I press the button the only option is to start an activity. Is there any way to get the shortcut to just open the app like normal?

In general the Zenfit/Google Fit stuff is just really bizarre. Google Fit will tell me I have no steps. Zenfit will give me a stepcount. A watch face I downloaded will give me a different step count. I don't know if there's some kind of setting in Google Fit/on the watch/on Zenwatch Manager/someplace else I need to change. Any advice?

What does eco mode actually do? It seems to just turn airplane mode on? Is there more to it than that?

Lastly, I've spent hours upon hours looking for watch faces I like and Skymaster is pretty close to perfect for me, but I'd love to see what you goons are rocking.

Thanks for any help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm using this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.smartwatchface.odyssey.watch.face with the gold colour scheme that I find matches the ZW3 perfectly, I get a lot of compliments about it

(doxxing my own manly wrist here)

The eco mode is just airplane mode, yeah. I'm afraid I don't have an answer for the fitness tracking stuff, I agree it's unnecessarily confusing and weird with the Asus app added in there.

Odyssey is another I've been looking at and with that color scheme it looks a lot better than the default on the store page, for sure. Guess I'll spend the survey bucks after all.

Fitness stuff seems to have sorted itself out, some faces use Google's and some use Asus' but they're within a few hundred of each other (and both pretty wrong probably) so good enough I guess.

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I'll pimp my watchfaces here, since someone asked:
Elementary

Inspired by Breaking Bad, tells the time through atomic number.

Rorschach

Inspired by Rorschach inkblots, the inkblots flow and animate. Both analog and digital time, configurable.

I'm not just advertising, these are my favorite faces and I use them all the time.

The elemental isn't for me but the Rorschach one looks pretty cool, I'll check it out.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

My house was broken into and my Zenwatch stolen. Rip. As it seems I'm in the market for a new watch, do any of these same internal watches have NFC? Since the only other difference is what the case looks like.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Can't take the phone into work. This is the whole reason why I'm trying to get a smart watch now. One of my friends has one and that's what he's doing.

My plan is to just buy one and download the wear casts app onto it. But I can't figure out how much memory the thing has.

That's not a Wear OS watch though so you won't be able to download any Wear OS app to it.

The Fossil Sport was recently less than $100 so looking out for a sale on older Wear OS watches is going to be your best bet for not spending a lot of money unless you look at used watches.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

The Fossil Gen 5 is $100 off ($189) for Prime Day so in keeping with the thread title, I bought one. I had a Zenwatch 3 that was ok but it stopped working last year and I never felt the urge to replace it because everything else had the same specs and the ZW3 didn't impress me much tbh. But for less than $200 and with more RAM I think this will be worth it. If I ever have an occasion to leave my house again anyway.

For anyone with one though, do they take normal 22mm watch bands? All the specs say they can take any Fossil 22mm band, but I wasn't sure if that meant Fossil bands are unique or they just want you to spend money with them.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Well initial impressions of the Fossil Gen 5 are that it's much nicer than my Zenwatch ever was. I also like the Fossil faces which yeah, I really would hope a watch company could have some decent faces of their own. The biggest problem is that I got the dark grey steel color, which came with a steel bracelet that's comically large on my wrist. I tried to use a safety pin to resize it but the safety pin just bent and I don't think it pushed the link pin out at all. Fossil does resizing in store for free so I'm going to kill an afternoon heading to the mall, I guess. I ordered a silicone strap (not from Fossil) but it hasn't arrived yet.

I didn't leave my house super often before the plague and I certainly don't now, so I'm not too concerned about excess wear on it, but what do you mean by the charging ring causing them to fall apart? Like rough handling from the slapping the charger on?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

In true fashion of the thread name I just bought my Fossil Gen 5 last year but I'm ready to blow cash on a Samsung watch. My uncle has one of the Galaxy Watches and it seemed so much nicer than my Asus Zen3. I especially liked the spinning bezel, far better than a rotating crown.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I'll believe it when it's on my wrist at this rate.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I definitely agree that fragmentation is a problem, including down to the level of super-proprietary chargers for each device.

I'm not anti the fitness stuff, nor do I disagree with your points, but I think my desired device would get some traction, too, if it were clearly marketed as such. That device being more or less an extension of my phone, like a second screen/UI. My Ticwatches largely accomplish this, albeit in a somewhat cludgy way. I just feel like the dominance of the fitness stuff over extending the usefulness of phones is a bit limiting.

I certainly agree with you and would buy this device. It sucks that Pebble went under (bought by Google iirc?) because the color Pebble looks like exactly what I would want in a smartwatch. I remember seeing some on clearance once for like $50 and I kind of regret not getting one. Of course I don't think the Pebble app is supported at all now anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Google engineers get paid more if they make something new that takes off as opposed to improving something existing and that getting big.

It's why they've made a dozen chat apps and made YouTube Music instead of improving Google Play Music and etc etc...