Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Then really you should be looking at some of the hybrid watches out there. They handle notifications just fine and last far longer.

If Google doesn’t get a handle on fitness, then there’s no hope for WearOS long term. That’s the reason people stick with the Apple smartwatch ecosystem. Hell, you can see it with Youtubers that have an Android phone as their primary device and then have an older iPhone with an apple watch so they can participate in fitness challenges with their friends and coworkers.

From personal experience I moved from Android to iOS because of the Apple Watch. I still think the Pixels are better phones but the WearOS watches are laughably inferior and it sucks. I’m watching this space closely because I’d love a good Pixel Watch as an opportunity to move back in a year or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm trying to be excited about the Pixel Watch but everything about it just screams mediocre to me.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Rebus posted:

Charged back up to full and put in on my wrist at 8pm, put sleep mode on at 9pm, it's now midnight and showing 66%.

I think I got a duff unit.

Yeah... To give you perspective I put mine on at 915 today. It's currently 4 and at 72% battery. I may be lucky but I'm not seeing... Any bad battery issues. At all.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I really like the Pixel Watch - they really nailed the Pixel feel of it. There's excellent integrations with Google's apps.

If you are not interested in the Pixel ecosystem do not bother with it. The battery life is awful - I have to turn off the flip to wake to even get it through the day. By the time I go to bed at midnight or so it's at 30%. It's a small watch. My hand is average size and it looks small on me. It has a clear Gen 1 feel to it. There's definitely something... awesome there and I think in time it will be the king of the Android watches.

If you are interested in trying Gen 1 tech that has a lot of really cool ideas ladened with clear shortcomings, sure, get the Pixel Watch. Otherwise I wouldn't bother, and this is coming from someone who daily drives it. I will say the thing I was most worried about, the bezels, is a non issue when wearing it. They do a really good job with the UI where you don't even think about them after ~2 hours of wearing it, and I haven't thought about it until sitting down to write this post.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bull3964 posted:

What in the hell were you doing to yours? I would consistently get 30 hours with AoD on.

For what it’s worth when I first got the PW1 the battery was *horrendous*. I had to turn off almost everything just to get basic AoD to work (with touch to wake, not even tilt to wake).

It’s been absolutely great over the last…4 months or so? I heard stories the battery life on the PW1 had dramatically improved, and sure enough, it has.

I have everything turned on and it’s reliably getting to ~40% battery left by end of day. It’s really odd, but it’s a significantly better watch than it was at launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've got a Garmin Approach S62 that has filled all the need I'd want for a smart watch. I get all my notifications, I get tap to pay that works everywhere and it does honestly fantastic fitness tracking. The Garmin Health app is also really awesome. Plus since the battery life is an easy 7-10 days i get sleep tracking (which is free. This is all free.) without having to plan for it.

The watch rules - I highly recommend the Garmin path if it interests you.