Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

None of those rectangular screens look like squares to me except for possibly the Asus. Get your geometry right. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

RVProfootballer posted:

"With GPS and offline music support, you can already leave your phone at home, then go jogging and jamming like normal. Now Android Wear supports watches with built-in Wi-Fi. As long as your watch is connected to a Wi-Fi network, and your phone has a data connection (wherever it is), you’ll be able to get notifications, send messages, and use all your favorite apps."

Cool

This may come as a shock to them, but the only part of my jogging route which has Wi-Fi coverage is the part starting and ending at my house. These seem like totally disparate features.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

RVProfootballer posted:

Haha, they weren't saying you'd have WiFi on your runs, they're giving examples of functionality that you have without your phone. Before, you could still use GPS and offline music playback without your phone. Soon, you'll be able to use your watch more without your phone, as long as they're both on WiFi.

I know, my point was that they shouldn't have run them together in the same paragraph, but to treat the disparate features as separate in their marketing copy. I probably should've been clearer (...which then in this case means I'm the pot calling the Motorola kettle black)

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

HJE-Cobra posted:

I have recently gotten a Sony SmartWatch 3 using credit card reward points, and I think it's pretty sweet. Usin' the Goldeneye 64 watch face, yeah boyee

Jesus H., I looked up a photo of it and it is sexy as hell. Whichever watch it is seems mega huge, and I've got tiny wrists :(

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Ok, wasn't sure. I'm assuming the 360-2 or whatever will be as big or bigger since we've well past the "smaller gadget is better" phase with phones as of 5-6 years ago. drat.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Tunga posted:

No issues with the vibration on mine and I even tend to wear it quite loose. I guess it's just down to how sensitive you are to that kind of thing.

I dunno, I got my original Pebble replaced with the same model, and the new one is often weak on vibration to where it's barely noticeable compared to my first one for anything that's a single, isolated vibration (text, WhatsApp, etc.). The weird thing is that for a phone call or multiple simultaneous texts, the repeated vibrations closely spaced together in time cause the motor to vibrate gradually stronger and stronger until it finally matches the strength of my previous Pebble.

I'm not sure what causes it to eventually get weak again (long time without a vibrate? Setting the watch to charge?) or why it would differ from my old Pebble. Not sure if it's down to variability in manufacturing tolerances of the motors or magnets or what.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I like the info he provided, but drat, that guy doesn't understand speaking cadence and intonation.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

thebushcommander posted:

My gf got me an Urbane for my birthday. I haven't opened it yet as it's at home, but should I just send it back? I had been talking about the Hauwei Watch and how it looks and I guess she thought it was the same one or something.

I dunno, they both look pretty cool to me and I'd be less disappointed than if I'd asked for Transformers and got Go-Bots (which I've learned actually came first).

On the other hand, the lady at the veterinarian's office yesterday asked if my Pebble was an Apple Watch. Before that, very few people who weren't Pebble owners themselves or otherwise familiar would comment on my watch. General awareness of the existence of smart watches has definitely risen due to Apple's entry into the market, for sure.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Nerdrock posted:

I've fussed with the connection for 10 minutes before to no avail when it usually just takes no more than 20 seconds.

It seriously takes 20 seconds on a good day? :wtc:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I guess a broken clock isn't always still right twice a day.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

dissss posted:

Also if my bus happens to get stuck behind a cyclist on the way home Fit thinks I spent that time actually cycling.

Finally, a no-hassle way to fit exercise into your day!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

Another useless gimmick. This on the other hand I can see using all the time, google voice translate flips the text so you can show people.

In my city it's almost more common for people to not speak English than speak it so this is great.

Chinese is not the best demo choice though since most of us can't even tell when it's upside down.

That, plus like the cut in video angles doesn't make it clear that you're now looking at it from the other side.

Edit: The lug changes sides, that's how you know the watch has been flipped over. It's just not obvious.

V V V V

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

tater_salad posted:

Kind of tired of my watches not being waterproof and needing a charge every 2ish days or so.

This is why I'm still on a Pebble 2 and wish the Pebble Time 2 had come out. 5 day better life and waterproof, plus limited notification and reply support is about all I really need. I'm jealous of my friend's Apple Watch 3, which I'd consider getting if they supported Android, but oh well. Their usability and integration is just so nicely polished.