Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So I got the update on my l_g g watch. The new interface has some nice tweaks. The flick to scroll wasn't working so well, at first. It would seem to be 50/50 on it doing what I wanted. Actually moving my arm with the direction of the flick I'm trying to do seems to make it a lot more accurate. So to scroll up I flick away from my body and my my arm out a bit too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Holy poo poo, the new full screen mode for Google maps on wear is fantastic.

Also, on the phone it will audibly tell you your arrival time and if the route is clear of any jams when you start the navigation.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Three Olives posted:

I'm the fool that thinks the G Watch is OK so...

The September launch time is interesting though if only because I think it means it is OK to pull the trigger on a sale of one of the better first gen watches because second gen is probably going to launch for winter 2015 so I'm down for a LG G R now when it goes on a really good sale.

There's still that 99 dollar ATT sale for the g watch r

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Reverse Centaur posted:

I still need to sell my GWR if you want a barely used one with a steel band at a reasonable price.

I might be interested as well, could you put it up on goonmart?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I can't find it in any of my local at stores either.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Kakairo posted:

I tried a full-day test with ambient mode off and a full-day test with ambient mode on, and frankly I don't think it's worth the battery drain. I was playing with the watch much more on the non-ambient day, and managed 3 more hours of uptime. I've been thrilled with it otherwise.

Does anyone here use Tasker? I've been a long-time fan of their automation software (silencing my phone when I walk into my office, for example), and the AutoWear plugin seems pretty robust. I've created a simple app that displays my Target Cartwheel barcode on the watch when I walk into a Target, and one that displays my Starbucks Card when I walk into a Starbucks. Instead of using GPS, the apps search for the common WiFi SSIDs used. The barcode worked at Target and blew away the two employees that were standing there.

I have my loyalty cards in google wallet and it does that automatically.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Reverse Centaur posted:

Probably a temp boost by people who think it's the nicest looking current one but never bought one. Gonna list it.

This was second gen IMO. G Watch/Gear Live were first gen.

At least for LG's watches. The G watch, G watch R and the urbane have the exact same internals. Same processor, same battery, even the same radios. Only the housing and screen are different between models. You can even flash the urbane's radios drivers onto the G watch R to enable the wifi mode (although you'd be violating FCC rules because that device hasn't been certified). So really they're all still first gen with a fresh coat of paint.

That said, a nice looking coat of paint is still important.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I've just gotten used to doing a more expressive motion to get my watch to light up. It's not really a huge deal, and doubles the battery life.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Keep in mind that qi charging incurres a significant amount of wasted power so you're not going to get the rated capacity out of that thing via wireless charging

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Three Olives posted:

Nothing, it was fine when I put it on the charger last night and like this in the morning.

Can you power cycle it?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

amoled is a lot nicer at night since only a handful of pixels are lit up to show the time. It's a lot less bothersome to you and people around you than the backlight you get with an LCD.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Got a huawei watch. It's a nice one. Def looks a lot nicer than my old first gen LG G watch

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Today I was out from 11am until 8pm with frequent use. Had 72% left.

I really expected much worse performance than this.

Always on screen or not? I'd be down to ~40-50% after that long on mine.

Mine seems to drain about 5% an hour with the screen on.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 8, 2015

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Are there any Milanese mesh bands like can come with the Huawei watch which also work with quick release pins? I really want one now but I bought the leather band one. The only ones I can find seem to use regular pins.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I had lots of people ask me about my LG G watch because its a blocky monstrosity like that Apple watch. But since I've gotten the Huawei watch next to no one has even noticed it unless I'm actively checking an email or navigating using it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Call support is not in yet. Based on what I've seen lte support will work like WiFi support. It just acts like a regular Android wear watch except it's connected using a different protocol.

So, if you did answer via your watch it would pick up on your phone at home and the caller would be talking to an empty room.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Finally got the MM update for wear and I can start calls through the regular dialer but I can't seem to start one through my Google voice number in hangouts. Is this possible?

I can switch to my watch on the phone once I've started a call but not start one one the watch, at least for Google voice.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

captain poopfister posted:

I reset my 360 today and it has wear 2.0 so yes.

*EDIT*

I just checked I'm running 1.4 huh.

2.0 doesn't come out until fall.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Gonna need NFC (for making purchases), OLED screen, cell radio, and GPS in a watch to get me to upgrade from my Huawei watch.

That or an actual 2-3 day battery life.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

The S3 has that, but runs Tizen. The OS looks good actually, but I don't expect it to have the apps or the future Wear does.

Yeah the s3 looks reeeeeeeeeally good. I especially like MST support. Honestly I should add that to my requirements for Android wear, but I think Samsung owns the only company that implements it?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I get two days no problem on my Huatch. Went to Seattle for three days recently and didn't even bring the charger and it was still fine when I got home.

The Canadian dollar exchange will probably prevent me from buying every single watch this round. :(

I get about 12 hours out of mine, but I also use mine to do fitness tracking for an hour a day and get a bazillion notifications.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I could get by with just gps and no cell radio tbh for my runs.

And yeah. Qi charging would be great, though I'm willing to spend the extra couple of seconds making sure it's aligned if it adds a lot of bulk or price.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The problem with using fit on the watch is it can never go in low power Bluetooth mode because it is constantly exchanging data with the phone. I'd recommend starting the hike on your phone instead.

Even my Huawei watch burns about 33% per hour if I have the screen off while tracking a walk or run.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

uPen posted:

Why would it sync the data constantly? The data doesn't need to be on your phone until your activity is over or you look at the app on the phone.

When you start a workout on your watch the phone is checking GPS coordinates so your watch will frequently ping the phone for updates on the distance traveled.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

We should be getting two from Google in a month as well, assuming they launch with the phones that should be out at the start of next month.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

MC Hawking posted:

Gotta source on this?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/07/06/exclusive-google-is-building-two-android-wear-smartwatches-with-google-assistant-integration/

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Uh oh. Looks like the maker for the best wear watch is dropping out of the wear game and switching to Tizen.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/09/28/huawei-watch-2-rumors-tizen-os-samsung/

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Walking around an unfamiliar city using google maps in your watch to navigate is a transformative experience.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

There's no need to constantly pull out your phone to check where you need to turn next. You don't look like as good a mark for snatching your stuff by looking at your phone all the time because it just looks like you're checking the time.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

That misses the point. People changed their opinion on the looks of those phones after seeing them in person or in higher resolution photos.

Also, I disagree that a phone is not a part of your fashion. Maybe not for everyone, but a lot of people care a lot about what their phone says about them.

The pixel looked pretty hideous in pictures, then I saw it in person and i still thought it was hideous.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Neat. Android pay for wear.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/02/08/android-pay-for-android-wear-is-here-and-this-is-how-it-works/

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

bull3964 posted:

I'm still waiting for the avalanche of places to accept NFC payments to materialize before I worry about having NFC on a watch.

Even places that are supposed to accept it, like subway, almost never work for me.

The only place I've been able to use android pay at really has been walgreens.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The old Google wallet implementation worked with all NFC terminals. Google pay actually works with far less than that did.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It has a 25(!) day battery life in its ultra low power mode.

quote:

For extra battery life, a new watch mode to squeeze out extra juice. Huawei has said that with 10 percent battery remaining, the watch mode can extend the battery for an additional 40 hours. Keep in mind, this basic watch mode is limited to watch display and step count, and the watch screen isn't always on.

Basically you could go hiking for almost a month with it working more or less like a regular watch plus step counter, and can use it as a smart watch with a fall back to dumb watch mode to give you almost 2 days to find an opportunity to charge it.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 26, 2017

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Android Police REALLY don't like the Hwatch 2.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/02/27/huawei-watch-2-first-impressions-uh/

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The lack of a crown is not really a downside to me personally. As a lefty i wear my watch on my right hand, so the crown is facing in pretty uncomfortable position to use as a input device.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

lol Wait Android Wear doesn't let you put it the other way? Or is it because all the ones worth getting have terrible flat tires that would look even worse on the top?

Nope, no lefty mode at all.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Hey now that Misfit isn't so bad looking and for $200 probably won't have a lot of the bullshit I don't want. I'd really like to know more.

Edit: Here's more. This looks like a winner.

Does it have a speaker?

Having a watch that can't do an audible alarm has been real dumb on more than a few android wear devices.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Three Olives posted:

Why? I have found vibration both really effective at waking me up and minimizes the disturbance to my boyfriend who gets up a lot later than me.

I mean if you don't like it you can totally turn it off in the settings.

I use it for my wake up alarm so I have to get out of bed since it charges out of arms reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Three Olives posted:

As much as it seems like Android Wear is floundering it seems like everyone is doubling down on it for some reason. Maybe Google is just throwing money at the problem? I'm still a firm believer in smart watches, maybe Google has decided they just can't give the market to Apple even though Wear is still kind of poo poo.

Well, the luxury watch makers either have to develop their own OS, apps, and api for a wearable if they want to get into that space, or use Google wear or Samsung's Tizen.

Which one would a company with next to no experience in developing some electronics tend to do, and which one has more market share and app support?