Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I'd like to get a smartwatch primarily to use as a fitness tracker/keep track of my calendar as well as keeping track of emails/SMS. The OP seemed a bit out of date, but from looking around it seems like the Samsung Gear S2 and Pebble Time seem to be well reviewed/meet those requirements. Does anyone have experience with these, or other recommendations? I do have a Samsung phone that I guess might be more compatible with a Samsung watch, but it's really not clear to me if that + the brighter screen is worth the extra cost, or if these are even the best watches to be looking at! Would love any advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Alright, leaning towards the cheapest Pebble Time I can find a real fitness tracker then, thanks for the advice.

Also, fwiw, when I went to look at smartwatches in person today the Huawei watch display model's screen had some of the lines of the watch face faintly showing whenever you switched to other screens; it looked like a series of permanently discolored pixels burned into the screen from being on too long. Probably not something to worry about in
regular use, but worrying nonetheless.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

My Pebble is dying, and I'd like to get a replacement smart watch. I really like the notifications, and wouldn't mind having a few more basic apps (ie controlling music etc).

I was thinking about getting a Zenwatch 3 or Moto 360 2nd gen, just because I like the way they look and they're on sale.

Are there other watches I should look at? Also, are wear 2.0 notifications annoying enough I should maybe be looking at Samsung Gear instead, or is it still decently usable?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Think I'll go for the Vapor then, not too concerned about fitness tracking, and it sounds great otherwise. Thanks for the reccs!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

RIP, it's showing as an invalid code for me atm.

Realistically, I already have a Vapor and a Skagen hybrid smartwatch as testaments to me being v susceptible to sales on smartwatches, I was going to get one to try and introduce my partner to this world of wasted money but it's probably for the best.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I've got like a day to buy/get reimbursed for a fitness tracker through work; given I've got big wrists is a Galaxy Watch 5 kind of the go-to option atm?

Realistically I do already have a Garmin so this will probably end up getting regifted but seems a shame to waste the perk, and I do kind of want to see if I end up actually using watch apps vOv.

foutre fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, this isn't a wear os option, but if you're mostly doing exercise tracking Garmin's pretty good.