Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah, I do think most any watch (or thing lol) that you google will have complaints. But I basically haven't had any issues over the years with heart rate across a fitbit, apple watch, a couple wear os watches, and a samsung active 2. The main failing for me was always spotty gps, particularly with the fitbit and apple watch series 1. I do think it's probably software rather than hardware, because continuous tracking looks good, just need to find an alternative to Samsung health that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Continuous heart rate looks good for me, no drops when I look at each hour when I'm just doing normal stuff:

Then my bike ride yesterday lol:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
44 mm sporty version has great battery. Typically at 50-60% battery left at bedtime, with an hour of biking and always on display.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mystes posted:

I'm pretty tempted but I really wish they had a bit better battery life. My main concern if I get one is that I won't remember to charge it rendering it useless.

Dunno if battery is worse with the new one, but I had the 40 mm active 2 and battery was fine. Similar use, about an hour of gps for biking or running, always on display (but no raise to wake), continuous heart rate, and always got through the day with like 30-40% left. Definitely a charge every day watch, but at least for me it was good enough to wear all day, overnight for sleep tracking, then charge in the morning before work.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Watch decided to track my heart rate in metric units for most of this ride :D

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Do any watches give you your body temperature? Or is that another thing that watches can do but is disabled due to regulatory hurdles?

I mean, if you have a bluetooth thermometer under your tongue or in your butt, I guess your watch could sync with it maybe?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I guess the forehead thermometers aren't super inaccurate, so it isn't as silly as I made it sound lol :kiddo:

edit: but the answer is no, I haven't seen any watch that does that, or anyone even talking about it as a nice future feature

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Galaxy Watch 4 supposedly getting a fix for HR tracking issues in an update that's currently downloading for me, crossing my fingers because if that's fixed then there is nothing else I'd change about this watch

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Qylvaran posted:

I keep always on screen on and tilt to wake off. That gives me all day battery and the time always on my wrist. In past watches I've found accelerometer gestures too unpredictable to be useful.

Same. Also I keep tap to wake off, have to press button to wake, which might help battery too.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Newest update for Galaxy Watch 4 breaks the ability for aod watch faces to update the time each minute lol

Samsung is aware and working on it as of like 3 days ago, according to a rep on a forum

e: a stock watchface I switched to is updating fine, despite the Samsung rep saying he replicated the bug with a pre installed watch face

sourdough fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 18, 2022

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I like the idea of being able to check my heartrate and blood oxygenation, but that's not a huge deal for me. I didn't want a smartwatch so it could be a fitness nag, I wanted it so I didn't have to pull my phone out of my pocket for every random text or phone call. It's weird to me that searching for a smartwatch rather than a fitness tracker was surprisingly difficult - even the more capable watches push the fitness stuff first and foremost.

Fitness stuff is where they've been making more improvements (new sensors, new apps/tracking) and what differentiates different watches (gps on watch, what sensors it has). If you just want notifications, everything will work fine. Find one with long battery life and go for it.

It's kinda like no one advertising crystal clear call quality, smartphones are all fine there (and it's a rare and notable exception when they aren't). So if you mostly just want to make calls, just pick one, you're not going to find (a mainstream) one being hyped up as the ultimate phone call making phone.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 19, 2022

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah, I had a OP7T for a bit and it was awful about keeping a connection to my watch, switched to a Pixel 4a and didn't have any issues (or any since then with a 5 or a 6)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I have no interest a square smartwatch.

Also, if Google would have gone square, all you would hear is "Google is shamelessly copying Apple."

Yeah, I hope they copy Apple in almost every other way except keep it round

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I've used Pujie (originally Pujie Black, rebranded as Pujie Watch Faces I think?) since I found it and never had any complaints

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Pujie being a paid app that then springs a subscription on you to even look at other people's uploaded faces sucks rear end

I just made my own minimal one and have used it forever now

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

runaway dog posted:

does anyone know how to fix this issue: whenever I start an exercise bike workout on my galaxy watch 4 it always loses my heart rate after about 2 minutes and stays lost for multiple minutes until the end of the workout where it comes back for like a minute, I've tried wearing it in every conceivable position, tight loose, inside of arm, outside, left, right, I even tried shaving the hair off of my arm in the spot where my watch is but nothing, any other work out works totally fine, it also fully reads my recovery heart rate afterwards without issue, saw a lot of people on reddit talking about it but no actual solutions. also this is a recent thing, as in the last 2 months or so, never had a problem before in the year+ I've owned it.

I switched from using strava to using samsung health to start/track exercises way back when I was having this issue and it seemed to go away. If you're already using samsung health, idk :(

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hooah posted:

Samsung somehow broke their Gear Wearable app today. Without an update (so I'm guessing some sort of server FUBAR), the app now crashes when it tries to open. If It manages to not crash, it just sits at a black screen with a blue spinner. Way to go, Samsung.

This happened to me a few months ago, I just ended up waiting and it was fixed in a few days, probably with an app update

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
If you're like me and were annoyed there was no way to turn off notifications for daily step goals on your Galaxy Watch, I finally found a fix:

quote:

On your watch, go to Settings -> About Watch -> Software Information

Tap on the Software Version 5 times to enable developer mode.

Go back to the main Settings page -> Developer Options -> App Notifications -> All Watch Apps

Scroll down to Samsung Health, tap on it, and disable wear_notification_daily_activity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Don't Ask posted:

Does this work for you? The option to turn the notification off is grayed out for me. This is on a GWatch 6.

Yeah it did work for me, that was able to be toggled off. Mine's a galaxy watch 5 I believe.