Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Christ, they need to revise that policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The Moto 360 should have a wifi antenna, right? Have they not pushed the update for cloud connectivity yet?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Thermopyle posted:

Isn't that what wearing just regular watches is?

I guess the difference is that a regular watch won't be obsolete in a year and generally works better as a fashion accessory. Most smartwatches look pretty dweeby.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It's nice to be able to download music to my smartwatch and run with that but, yeah, if I were to min/max my gadget choices I'd probably be better off with a Sansa Clip and some wired headphones rather than a Moto 360 and bluetooth headphones.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Thermopyle posted:

I'm mostly not buying the obsolesence argument. Why do I care if the Moto 360 version 2 comes out next month? It doesn't reduce the capabilities of my current 360.

Your watch is going to become obsolete. In a year you're going to be looking at the 360v2 and seeing leaps in terms of battery life and probably several additional features. Between two and three years I'd be shocked if the manufacturer continued pushing Wear updates. God knows when the battery will cease holding a charge for a full day. Maybe you'll wear that watch three, four years, but it's not going to last half as long as a traditional watch would, which is the context of that comment.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Your watch has a definite, imminent expiration date in terms of the battery's continually deteriorating effectiveness, even assuming Motorola are the gods of legacy support. A well-made traditional watch does not.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Len posted:

Before I buy something pointless I can use literally any Qi charger with a 360 right? Like I could sit my watch on this no problems? http://smile.amazon.com/Wireless-Ch...=qi+charger+pad

Yes, even the Apple Watch charger works with the Moto360

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The biggest changes will be more power-efficient processors and more sensors in more watches as Wear provides support for more things. I think we'll see a lot more GPSs and WiFi antennas in the next generation, for example.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Logikv9 posted:

All about that name recognition.

It's almost trademark erosion at this point.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
If you turn on ambient display and turn off tilt-to-wake you get a pretty reasonable battery life in my experience.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The 360s are getting sold at pretty steep discounts and the price can only go down. It's a nice wear device and if you can accept the limitations at that price then go for it.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
E: im dumb

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Android Wear: 1.5K NO

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Oh my god stop talking about the dumb $1.5K smartwatch already.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
At the time the 360 started shipping, the only other Wear devices on the market looked like this:

Relative to these shameful nerdbands the 360 looked watch-y enough.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The color orange makes it easier for rocks to see and avoid hitting the watch, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Thermopyle posted:

Why would I want to look like a douchebag.

We just assumed it was intentional