Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
My G watch can be quite finicky about charging, but that seems to be a physical connectivity issue rather than a software one. Are you sure yours isn't just a physical thing? I find that it charges more easily if it's a little sweaty from wear.

I really hope qi charging for android wear is standard on the next generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Over the last few days, my LG G Watch has developed a really annoying behavior. After removing it from the charger, it immediately goes to the "shutting down" screen. There's no way I know of to cancel that and no way to get it to start up again except to put it back on the charger long enough for it to start booting.

Any ideas?

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Are these cracked 360s first or second generation? I was considering getting a 2nd gen, but not if this is an ongoing problem.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Fossil released a bit more information about their Android Wear effort. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-300163732.html

The interesting bits to me are that it's got an intel chip, will be $275, appears to be round, and the release implies wireless charging. As long as they don't gently caress it up too much with their "proprietary fossil app", that sounds great. I don't think manufacturers are even allowed to mess up Android Wear enough to make their proprietary bullshit mandatory, but we'll see.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I saw another story on the Fossil Founder (that's it's name, and also a verb that means "fail or break down, typically as a result of a particular problem or setback."). It has a Moto 360 style flat tire. That's not a dealbreaker for me, but it is a negative.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I have definitely seen that behavior where a dictated message won't send until you wake up the phone. Kinda misses the point of dictating it in the first place.
I think when this happens, I do not get the confirmation vibration on the watch.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I've currently got a LG G watch, and the biggest problem I have with it is that it has become VERY fiddly to get it charging. I usually have to pick it up and put it down 3 or 4 times before it decides to charge. And forget about actually connecting ADB except through bluetooth. I think this is all because a) I wear it while exercising b) physical pins can corrode/wear.

So, I'm currently looking for a round watch for development and a daily wear upgrade.
  • The Moto 360 has QI charging (yay), but a flat tire.
  • The Moto 360 Sport has a transflective display (yay) and qi charging (yay) and GPS (meh), but a flat tire and a terrible unchange-able strap.
  • The Hwawei watch has a truly round screen (yay), a speaker (yay), but pogo-pin charging.
  • The Fossil Q Founder has an unproven intel atom chip, but is otherwise pretty much a Moto 360 without the pulse sensor.
  • The LG Urbane is gigantic and would look ridiculous on me

Can anyone with the Hwawei tell me whether it is a bitch to charge/connect?
Can anyone with the Founder tell me whether the Intel chip is better or worse than the standard Qualcomm SOC?

Also, for the watches with QI charging, can I use QI pads I've already got? I know the Motos are probably oddly enough shaped they won't lie flat, but it looks like the Founder might.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

I developed the Elementary face in that article. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=wtf.hipster.elementary

I'd appreciate any feedback on it.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

hooah posted:

Are the innards on the Fossil watches "good enough"? The one looks quite nice and is a good price.

You may remember me mocking the Fossil Q Founder's name earlier in the thread. In a burst of irony, I just won one at SXSW (but didn't win poo poo from the Google claw game, despite trying every day). The main difference between the Founder and most other Android Wear watches is the intel SOC, and the 1GB Ram (instead of 512M). So far, I have not noticed any real noticeable difference in the UI smoothness compared to my LG G watch. Which is to say: it's perfectly adequate. This is my first day actually wearing the watch, so I can't comment about battery life yet, but wear battery stats projects it to be about as advertised ( >= 24 hours).

I am actually quite happy with this watch so far, though I would not pay the $275 asking price. For that ballpark, the Huawei has a better screen, speaker, no flat tire, and a heartrate sensor (but not QI charging which is a huge plus for me).

It is a little large on my stick-like wrists, but in person it does not look too bad. Certainly better than the LG Urbane.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I don't know about the 360v2, but my Fossil Q Founder is able to charge off a flat qi charge pad. It does get significantly warmer than when on the dedicated charger though, so I do not plan to do this often.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

lostleaf posted:

How's your experience with the q founder?

I actually like it more than I expected to, but I would not pay retail price for it. It's just as smooth as any other Android wear watch, and I find qi charging to be a killer feature. On the other hand, it lacks a heartbeat sensor.
For the same money, the huawei has a better screen and more features, but it's smaller and lacks qi charging.

I have a coupon code for 20% off anything Fossil somewhere, but I think it expired this last weekend. You're welcome to try it anyway. Contact me at sshipman@gmail

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I'll need to try it for myself, but I can't see that using left and right swipes on the watchface to switch faces is a great idea. I haven't wanted to switch faces for months, and I'm sure that this will open up all the time, accidentally. But, maybe it'll be better than I expect.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Humerus posted:

Lastly, I've spent hours upon hours looking for watch faces I like and Skymaster is pretty close to perfect for me, but I'd love to see what you goons are rocking.

I'll pimp my watchfaces here, since someone asked:
Elementary

Inspired by Breaking Bad, tells the time through atomic number.

Rorschach

Inspired by Rorschach inkblots, the inkblots flow and animate. Both analog and digital time, configurable.

I'm not just advertising, these are my favorite faces and I use them all the time.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
If that happens, you'll be massively disappointed anyway.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Here's a fun one. I have two google accounts on my phone that were automatically copied to the watch when setting it up after the AW2.0 upgrade. So far so good. You can set the "default" account somewhat unintuitively through the on-watch play store. Fine.

Google assistant on the watch completely ignores that setting and just uses whichever account is first in the list. It took me forever to figure out why it was always sending messages from the wrong account when I'd try to send one via the assistant.

The only fix I know of is to remove accounts until the one you actually want to be default is first, then re-add the others.

Good job, Google.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I can't believe how lovely this is and how many people had to approve such horrible, horrible ideas and terrible execution of those ideas. It's been a long time since I've used something this poorly thought out and implemented. It's so bad.

Absolutely agree. It's a total step backwards. You may not have run into it yet, but here's another fun change: You can no longer send or respond to messages hands-free. The little checkbox confirmation button that used to count down to auto-send now no longer auto-sends. You must press the button to actually send a message. This makes using the watch to communicate while doing absolutely anything else practically impossible.

Oh, and they removed the press-down to select gesture, and the arm up to go back gesture. Because gently caress you.

But, I believe you're a little mistaken about complications. Their appearance is up to the watch face you're using, so they're not always necessarily grey. The face you've selected probably just did it lazily.

As for the play store on the watch, don't bother. Use the play store on a browser on a real computer and install to the watch that way.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Correct, there is nothing you can do about these lovely lovely design decisions. Also, they took away the push-down and pull-up gestures, because gently caress you.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Had a weird issue this morning where my Fossil Q founder (1st gen) attempted to pair itself to my phone again. The pairing codes were different on the phone and watch. Then when I went to the android wear app on the phone I was able to initiate a re-pair which worked successfully.
No idea why it lost the pairing in the first place. I did have my phone on the opposite side of the house from the watch last night, which is different.

I've also had trouble with it no longer reacting to "OK Google". It successfully transcribes voice if I manually start the assistant by holding the button, but it absolutely refuses to bring up the assistant via "OK Google". Then after I restart the watch it'll work for a while again. Since I only use voice on the watch a couple of times a week, it's usually broken when I try.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
If he's the rear end in a top hat responsible for aw 2 being so much worse than 1.5, then good riddance.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I don't use voice transcription very often, but when I do, it's through my watch. Yesterday, I attempted to reply to a hangouts message via voice and discovered that my watch now completely fails to recognize speech. It just times out with the "can't reach google" message. "Okay google" still brings up the assistant, so the microphone is working. Notifications still come in, so it's connected to the phone. But it absolutely refuses to recognize speech.

I've disconnected/reconnected, and rebooted the watch. No effect.

Anyone had this problem, or know a solution?

Fossil Q Founder, first gen. Watch Android Wear version 2.8.0.182823779, Watch Google Play Services 11.9.75

Pixel XL Android 8.1.0, Android Wear 2.8.0.183316206, Google Play Services 11.9.75

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
That didn't work. Then I did some more searching and found this...
https://support.google.com/androidwear/thread/24240?hl=en

Which also doesn't work.

I am now attempting the process listed in that link again, but having removed the watch from my list of devices associated with my google account, and after clearing android wear's data, I re-enabled all the permissions it needs.

It's not looking like it'll work any better.

This is total bullshit. Almost enough to make me consider a gear watch. I wonder what's involved in developing faces and apps for that.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
If anyone cared about my struggles outlined above, I was able to narrow it down to the watch as the problem. It is not able to set up with another phone either. While my pixel is able to pair with another watch just fine.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

LastInLine posted:

That sucks. I suppose that means you're out a watch since I'm sure Fossil isn't going to replace it?
2 things make this not quite so bad: Technically, it's still under warranty. I wrote to fossil about it this morning and they seem to have some record of the watch. No actual response other than a robo-acknowledgement, though.

Second, I won it at an event at SXSW 2 years ago. So even though I'm out a watch, I didn't have to pay for it in the first place. Still, I'm hooked now and will have to replace it somehow.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
This conversation makes me sad. I love my Android Wear watch because I get to choose my watch face from anything in the store or create my own. And because I can make apps for it. Fitness is not a consideration in a watch for me, and doubling down on that will be a step back even from the step back they took to cater to iPhone users with v2.

We need more tech capabilities, not less. More Android style choice, less Apple style appliance-implemented-via-computer. Apple doesn't even let you have an always on screen, or create watch faces (changing the static background doesn't count)

I'm working on an arbitrary 3d gesture detection library that'll work on Wear and Android phones. We need stuff like that. And like project Soli.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Google just keeps removing good functionally from wear. I've suddenly lost the ability to use assistant on my watch to play music on my phone. Instead, it just opens play music on the watch and complains that there is no wifi. Even if there were WiFi, I'm loving driving, and want the music to come from the car speakers which are paired to the phone, not the watch.

Anyone know the magic incantation to get this to work again? Pixel XL, Huawei watch 2.

Before it stopped working entirely, I noticed it would refuse to play music from my library only, and instead always started a radio station.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Google just keeps removing good functionally from wear. I've suddenly lost the ability to use assistant on my watch to play music on my phone. Instead, it just opens play music on the watch and complains that there is no wifi. Even if there were WiFi, I'm loving driving, and want the music to come from the car speakers which are paired to the phone, not the watch.

Anyone know the magic incantation to get this to work again? Pixel XL, Huawei watch 2.

Before it stopped working entirely, I noticed it would refuse to play music from my library only, and instead always started a radio station.

I finally figured this out. If you have play music installed on the watch, it will attempt to play music on the watch - no choice in the matter. Uninstalling play music on the watch restored the default functionality of initiating playback on the phone. It would have been nice to have a choice, but honestly I'm never going to want my watch to be doing the playing. I suppose if you run AND drive, you're poo poo out of luck.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Does anyone else use OurGroceries with wear OS? Mine stopped syncing sometime in the last few weeks. Well, sort of. It actually syncs, but to an old version of my data. Even uninstalling and reinstalling goes back to the stale data.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I use it often and it's working fine for me. Just verified that it's current and syncs immediately. Is anyone else sharing the data? How about the web, is it in sync as well?

Yeah, web is correctly synced, and so is my wife's phone. Only my watch isn't getting current data.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I looked at the phone app and it says that Wear OS is a premium feature. I know when I upgraded my phone recently, the transfer didn't give me premium right away and I had to download the Premium Key from the Play Store. Is it possible your phone app needs premium reauthorized?

Assuming that's not the problem let me walk through this. Everything is synced and you open the app on your watch and it comes up with old data. If you update that data, like say you cross something off, does the old data then sync back to the phone, web, and your wife and destroy the new data? Or does the watch just get further and further from the canonical dataset?
Thanks to OurGroceries support, I found and fixed the issue. I'd never cleared the crossed through items, and over the years they accumulated past the point where Wear OS refused to send a message that large. Deleting old items fixed it.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

LastInLine posted:

There's a limit to the number of items a list can have? Did OurGroceries share what that limit is?

Not a limit on items. A limit on the maximum size message that Wear OS will send from phone to watch. So the actual number of items will vary with their size. Regardless, I used OurGroceries for at least 8 years without running into this.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I looked through the new Wear developer docs that have been released so far (it's surprisingly lacking) and the big unknown for me is how watch faces will work. With current WearOS you need to make a Service and override an Engine subclass to implement a face. While one can now use Kotlin, which is nice, the need to make a service means that implementing a face in say, Flutter, is a no-go. I looked into Tizen a while back and to make a face there, it's implemented in javascript, which is somehow an even worse decision. With the popularity of Facer and PujieBlack, I'm sure they'll have some way of supporting that kind of limited customization.
The jetpack support for Wear apps is great news though.

I couldn't give less of a poo poo about health and fitness stuff in my watch. I really wish they'd at least address the part of the market that wants a tech device on their wrist rather than a health device that happens to tell time and serve notifications.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
The confirmation that the new WearOS will be able to run existing WearOS apps at least makes me think that the new "combined" OS is more WearOS than Tizen. Hopefully they actually managed to find a way to get the best of both worlds and not just slap OneUI on WearOS, though we all know that's exactly what it will be.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

codo27 posted:

I just want a phone without the fitness poo poo which will never happen...

I agree. I don't mind the location stuff, I find the ability to look at my own history interesting. But fitness poo poo is just not worth the battery usage. I do not need it to monitor my heartrate. I do not need it nagging me about steps. I will never inform my watch that I am doing a workout. Hell, I don't even use the voice assistant. Mostly because it doesn't work, but also because gently caress speaking aloud when I don't have to.

I just want notifications, decent battery life, cool sensors I can use in my own apps, and the ability to create my own watchfaces (more than just skins). And not in JavaScript (loving Tizen).

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Like many, I've been on the fence the last few days about whether to get the pixel watch or a galaxy watch. While I am a huge pixel fan, and would ideally have gone that way if the product was ready, I opted for a Galaxy Watch 5 pro today. Mainly because of battery life. There have been some promising reports of pixel watches exceeding 1 day, but even if I could count on that, the inevitable battery degradation over the supported lifetime (3 years) would mean less than 1 day eventually. That's why I'm looking to replace my Huawei Watch 2 in the first place!

I fully expect to be Samsunged. But if anyone wants to do the same, I managed to get a good deal, I think. Buying direct from the Samsung store, you can get $125 for ANY working smartwatch. I'm going to trade in my Wyze Watch which I bought for $20. I confirmed with customer service over chat that this should work. Also, the CS rep offered me an additional $65 with a bit of a high-pressure buy-it-today push. So I'm getting my nominally $449 watch for $259, making it less expensive than the Pixel Watch by a good margin.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
That's a bit of a markup for a 350mah lipoly battery, but I guess it does have that nifty connector on.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

aluminumonkey posted:

Did you have to talk to support to get the $125 off? I have an older Fossil smart watch and a Fitbit Blaze that need to be traded in.

Nope! "Other" brand, "any working smartwatch" are choices in the online trade in form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Does the pixel watch do the same stupid thing where you have to dismiss incoming notifications twice to get them to go away? On my Samsung Watch 5 pro a notification will come in, I'll swipe it away, but the little "you have a notification" dot is still there. I open the notifications, and it's right there. If i dismiss from there, it finally goes away.

I will say I'm happy with the durability and battery life. The magnetic clasp on the silicone sport band is quite nice. Not as happy with the Samsung apps I don't want and cannot uninstall.