Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Crossposting from the Android OS thread because I was obliviously posting there...

My S3 Frontier finally fell apart after 5.5 years. At first I was alarmed and thought the battery had burst, but it seems the glue on the back just failed. It had been decaying in other ways (altitude sensor stopped working, bezel gasket deteriorated), but had been snappy and done the main job of filtering notifications. Also the battery life never appreciably decayed? Weirdly enough its responsiveness also improved over the years with firmware updates. In the early days it used to frustratingly lag significantly at inconvenient times, but I think it hitched half a second once in the last year or so.

"Did my research" and ended up replacing it with the S5 Pro. I do think the normal S5 would be great/better for most, but I was feeling rich and this one fits me well. I really like the titanium bezel. It's also lighter than my S3, but I had a metal band on that. I ended up not being convinced by the Pixel, part because I don't use FitBit and don't want another ecosystem to deal with, but it also being Google's first attempt.

I miss the rotating bezel of the S3, but am sure I'll get over it. I am weirded out that even though they've changed OSes, it's so drat practically identical-feeling to their older watches. Like all the UI actions are identical, just icons are slightly freshened up.

The Play Store for Wear OS is not the worst but it's not great. I wish you could just lock it to only search for watch apps, instead of having to filter afterward every time. At first it kinda looked like it was no better for apps than Tizen ... they're there, but you really have to know what to search for.

Scrolled a few pages back and haven't really seen much in the way of app discussion. Anyone have some interesting suggestions that aren't typically featured or on the charts?

A few off the top of my head:

- guitar tuner
- pomodoro timer
- never gamed on a watch before, but 2048 works great.

If I ever golf again, I'll probably get an app for that. Had the Taylormade one on Tizen and it worked awesomely once, and then never again. Count strokes (lol), range-finder, etc.

Really happy with this animated Pipboy face fwiw: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.reysondev.pipboy it's clearer and more functional than the S2 version I used to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It's weird, on my laptop browser I seem to have to filter after each search. On my phone, just my Nvidia Shield shows up under "other devices", but yeah the filter works there. I have a feeling the watch will show up eventually.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I should maybe suck it up and read a manual one day :ignorance:

I just realised the S5 has a 'touch-bezel' and it's ... so fast and snappy with good haptic feedback. It's so much better than the laggy physical one on my S3. I am happy!

Also a lot of reviews complained about the weight of the S5 Pro ... but it's lighter than my S3 Frontier :shrug:

One weird thing is the media controls don't seem remotely as good as the S3. (Still investigating.) It seems to snap to Spotify, but is neglecting my PocketCasts phone app. The S3 was really solid with any media player.

In my general use-case (biking), touch-based watches haven't been awesome for media players. I miss the physical buttons on my old Pebble Time where I could adjust what was playing without having to look at my watch.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The one thing that seems to be completely missing on Wear OS is some kind of news app. Tizen had Flipboard! Not even Google News.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

I already use Health Sync to sync Garmin data to Google Fit, so that's no problem at all. Got it.

I'm really drawn by the Galaxy Watch 5 Pro, the size is awesome and the UI looks great. I'm okay with the Samsung wear and fitness apps provided I rarely have to touch them beyond initial setup, is that doable? It just bugs me having additional apps that duplicate existing ones!!
I've only been using Samsung Health on my OnePlus, so just installed Google Fit and HealthConnect. I'll update if I observe anything interesting.

I am very happy with the Watch 5 Pro though, especially the titanium colour. Also it feels far less obtrusive, and lighter, than my Watch 3 Frontier did.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 6, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

codo27 posted:

Pretty happy with the 5 pro so far.
Happy with mine too. Also the titanium and sapphire have held up extremely well despite me managing to smack it into walls and door handles periodically.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have a GPS-thingy for my normal bikes, but when I use the local bike share system, I used to track rides on my phone with Strava. The WearOS Strava app works a hell of a lot better ... except it has some weird long-standing bug (seems well over a year) if you have auto-start/pause enabled where it somehow zeroes your distance.

Disabling auto start/pause fixes it, and Strava automatically deletes your pauses from your results anyway soooooo...

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Loved my S3 Frontier with the rotating bezel, but was worried when rubber bits started falling out of the bezel. Eventually the entire back fell out of it and I upgraded to a 5 Pro. I hope a modern version of it can live long.

I missed the bezel at first, but found a feature, off by default, that you could swipe your finger around the screen for a soft bezel ... that was great. But eventually I just got over it and live without the rotate feature.

I really love how solid my Watch5 Pro feels without moving parts, and a 4 day battery life (not using always-on) without having to fuss with it. Also the titanium case and sapphire glass have survived me being a massive drunken klutz many a time. It still looks immaculate after ~half a year. Actually the default band is really good too. Really a fan of the non-black colourways for a change.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 24, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Oh that's great. Ran into an annoying situation where my phone data access inexplicably died. Using the "network reset" feature fixed the phone, but wiped my Bluetooth settings, and in turn I had to annoyingly reset my Watch5 and start over again.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Surprising how many weeks it took me to get my watch back to "just right". Also tedious things like the Samsung auth poo poo not working with my usual Vivaldi browser.

But still loving the Watch5 otherwise. Also can't believe how immaculate it still looks despite my best efforts to bang it up. Just the magnetic clasp looks worn. Can always get another band if necessary.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 9, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Just wanted to vouch that the Samsung backup/restore is pretty good, though the "auto-backup" feature apparently only ever activated in January. I was able to manually trigger a backup from my phone after locking myself out of the watch after changing the pattern after a night of drinking. Whee.

But it was a matter of a few minutes to get back up and running to how I had the watch working before. A couple of non-default apps I use weirdly lagged installing, but it was a far cry from the time I had to wipe my phone's network/bluetooth settings and had to start from scratch.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

At first I missed the bezel when I replaced my Frontier with a 5 Pro, but I wouldn't go back. It's plenty responsive using the touch bezel or swiping, and I am a fan of the solid construction.

My Frontier had bits of rubber gasket fall out of the bezel years ago and that couldn't be good for its longitivtiy.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I've had the 5 Pro over half a year now, and thought I finally scratched the bezel slightly but ... it wiped off.

The watch itself basically still looks new. The default titanium grey/green silicon strap has some slight discolouration.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Oh weird, I still have my Frontier one but thought it wouldn't fit for some reason. I think it's the identical brand even. It was such a fantastic upgrade. Thanks for pointing that out.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm using the Watch 5 Pro with OnePlus, and yeah the weird online discourse, and Samsung's own marketing, made me avoid it for many months before I was sure it would be fine. I have literally zero complaints, it truly exceeded all my expectations and is a HUGE upgrade over my (Tizen) Samsung Frontier.

I was a bit reluctant to lose that rotating bezel but after a day or two it's a total non-starter. (I don't even use the feature now, but there is a "soft bezel" option not on by default that lets you swipe your finger around the edge to act like the mechanical one. It was cool though.)

Also I missed my Pipboy Tizen face, but this one is even better: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.reysondev.pipboy

But I've actually mostly been using the default Samsung "Live Wallpaper" (I had to double-check that that's what it's called). I don't even know how but I have two versions of the same thing in my list. One plain, and one with weather complications I use to plan my commutes. But it's very "pretty" and just creates a nice kinda sand art-like wave design that randomly regenerates whenever you interact with it. And yet is very functional with the strong complication support.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Been swimming with my titanium Pro in the Mediterranean lately. So far so good.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Still waiting for my One UI 5 update

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Not here (Canada if it makes a difference) yet.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

Not here (Canada if it makes a difference) yet.
Dropped today

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Last article I saw says yes. Just nothing earlier. But I guess everything after 3 is WearOS and not Tizen.

My 5 has been so ridiculously better than 3 ... the ecosystem wasn't as bad as people acted on Tizen, but the fact that apps can actually stay open on WearOS makes all the difference.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I use the timer all the time in the kitchen so nice to have a tile. The bike workout thing I don't know is that helpful to me unless it can sync to Strava (assuming no).

The WearOS Strava app is really good and the GPS works much better than my phone in my pocket, but it has the stupidest bug where it won't record time if you have the default auto start/stop on. I assumed it would get fixed eventually with people online complaining about it regularly, but it's been half a year.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

lol for some reason the update changed the standard Samsung live wallpaper I liked so much. The new version is fine, but I liked the previous sand-art one better. Why not have both options?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

bull3964 posted:

On vacation and I took my Watch 5 Pro with me since it has the biggest battery and is the most durable.

I had forgotten what a beast this thing is on battery. Took it off the charger when I left Friday morning and now I'm at 38 hours and it's only down to 42%. That's with AoD on, continuous heart rate, tilt to wake, basically everything turned on.
I'm a huge fan. Foolishly didn't do the water-lock thing my first few days in the Mediterranean. But lol the blowing out of water when you disable the feature. But I should have been rinsing it with fresh water.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I don't have a problem with tilt-to-wake but I'll note that I wear my watch on my right wrist, and there's a setting deep in the menu about which wrist you're wearing it on.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Most podcast players interpret "next track" as FF, I can't speak to what's going wrong on the Pixel 2 ... been using media controls with Pocket Casts since a Pebble Time. It worked fine on my S3 and currently use the controls on my S5.

The Pocket Casts watch app is for if you want it to be managing and downloading podcasts to your watch, not media control.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

Yeah its a bummer. My original garmin running watch did this correctly too. Pretty sure its not a PW2 issue, but just a general wear os one.
It's definitely not specific to WearOS. My Samsung Watch 5 Pro is on WearOS and I use it just fine with Pocket Casts on my phone.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lol gently caress off Samsung for not letting us rebind (or even uninstall) Samsung Pay from the long-press back-button shortcut. I can workaround it by using the home button long-press or double-tap to open Google Wallet.

It came up because my local transit card (Presto, Ontario) can be added to Google Wallet as of Tuesday.

An annoying quirk (Presto is all annoying quirks) is it can exist once either on my phone or my watch. And my card will be garbage once it's transferred. But still, having it on my watch is a hell of a lot more convenient.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

WearOS Strava has a dumb long-standing bug where like ... it won't track distance if you have it set up to auto start/pause. You can just disable that feature and it works fine. The Strava website automatically adjusts for pauses anyway.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

runaway dog posted:

I'm shilling this watch face
carbon neon
has a great always on mode
makes your watch look like a tokyo flash. plus you can flex your clock reading skills, that or be early or late to a lot of stuff.

Bummer... looked totally up my alley, but mysteriously not available on my 5 Pro. Last updated in 2019 and the dev's let his website hosting lapse.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The one thing I wish my watch had was an app that would let me know when I should leave to catch my bus. It looks like that exists for a few cities, but not Toronto.

...now I go down the rabbit hole to see if any phone apps can push a 5-minute warning to my watch.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Been using it for Toronto transit which has been great. One of my credit cards is weirdly really unreliable on it annoyingly.

I wish I could make my transit card the default payment though. It's not like it would be accepted accidentally by a payment terminal.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Anyone else complaining? Seems to work fine for me.

Tried rebooting your phone?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

lovely. It's 100% working for me.

Maybe a regional datacentre thing but I usually hear about major AWS-type outages via work.

Anyway I agree, it's dumb it needs some server connection to do basic functionality.

I guess in theory the basics still work from the watch, in the meantime?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'd factory reset the watch once to be sure first.

I haven't noticed my 5 Pro's life feeling off but can't say for sure. I use Always On Display a lot more lately.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Got to try the modern "transfer to new phone" Samsung feature and it was unbelievably smooth.

What's not cool is that none of Samsung's login features work on my default Vivaldi browser. Didn't notice until I tried to log back into Health. It was a nuisance on my old phone setting up the watch the first time, but I didn't need to do that step this time around.

edit: googling to see if I can change the browser referrer agent on the mobile app.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That's really cool ... transit schedules too.

When I got my 5 Pro I was annoyed that no apps would show my local bus stop times (there were some for other cities). I just noticed yesterday that Transit Now for Toronto though did update with a WearOS app at some point. It just shows whatever I favourited on the phone app. Font is a tad small, but it's great to have handy.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Maps had an update on my watch, but nothing about transit still. Kinda odd it never even showed transit directions, just drive/bike/walk.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Imagine using the map on your watch to navigate while driving lol. Only ever made sense for walking and transit. (Yeah you could probably connect your headphones.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

What do Apple Watches do that the Samsung ones don't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yay, new Watch 5 Pro update!

*checks notes*

Feature: display health information on Samsung TV

and a security patch