Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I got an Asus Zenwatch coming from Amazon Warehouse deals. I see it is not going to support WiFi. What exactly is WiFi going to do for Android Wear watches? Is it just for phone to watch communications instead of Bluetooth? Is there a reason to want WiFi on Android Wear watches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
You can say that all of the first gen Android devices are lacking in some way, but really you have price points ranging from $100 to $350. You have to expect that there is going to be a range of features and abilities. That's the Android ecosystem all over.

I got the Asus Zenwatch for $150 (open box) and have been really happy with it so far. It would have been nice if it had GPS, a better heart rate monitor, and inductive charging instead of it's snap on cradle, but I can not complain about any of those for the price. I don't care about wifi on a watch at all until there is a feature that makes more use of it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

booshi posted:

Thanks for this because it didn't roll out to my Zenwatch for some reason. Luckily they have it for download for sideloading.

Only thing I'm really interested in is the new navigation gestures unless there is something else really awesome I'm missing (no wifi for the Zenwatch).

The ”start menu” is better now. Other than that, is about the same.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

surc posted:

Anecdotal experience is totally subjective, how weird!
I always get "What phone is that?" if somebody wants to know what phone I am using, instead of these rude-rear end leading questions. Apparently I live around better people. :colbert:

I wouldn't say it is rude, I would say it is an uninformed question. It's like when my grandmother called all video games Nintendo.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Wendigee posted:

got my 129 asus zenwatch from google today... its charging an updating the OS but it looks awesome.

Love the size and band. Its perfect. Can't want to slap it on my wrist and play around... at 89% now... charges pretty fast. maybe 2 hours for a full charge?

2 hours sounds about right. Maybe faster.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Hughmoris posted:

For those that have one, is it worth it? Or should we hold off to see what the Moto 362 will be?

I like mine pretty well. I think it looks better than most of the others.

But it does have the following limitations:

No WiFi

The heart monitor works by you putting your fingers on the metal sides of the face of the watch

The heart monitor might as well be picking numbers at random, it is so inaccurate.

If none of those bother you, then its a great watch.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

iOS compatibility? Is that really going to be a thing or is the listing wrong?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I think all of them are using Qualcomm 400 chips.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Is a watch with a cellular radio something that people actually want?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Can someone try to reproduce a bug I am seeing?

Use the voice command "Send a hangouts to ____ test message"

See if the message actually sends while your phone is locked.

If it doesn't, see if it sends once you unlock your phone and open hangouts.

This is only happening on new hangouts messages, not replies.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Note: If you woke up to your watch is displaying "Syncing... Please Wait" this morning, you can swipe it away to go back to your normal watch face. People are saying that Facer is causing it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Three Olives posted:

:lol: If you think a household income of $100k is a lot of money relatively speaking. How do you think Neiman Marcus keeps 42 stores in business? Hublot runs billboards in my city and would laugh in your face for saying $1,500 was a lot to spend on a watch.

$100K is a lot when you consider it is double what the median household income is, which is what the original comparison was.

$1,500 is a lot to spend on a watch, but especially when you compare it to all of the other Android Wear watches and see that it doesn't offer anything over them other than a brand name.

People who spend high dollar amounts on fashion watches are foolish. People who spend high dollar amounts on smart watches because they are fashion watch brands are extra foolish.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Developing their own OS like Pebble, Fitbit, Garmin, and Samsung have done.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Until someone figures out something to do with them other than display notifications or the price comes down low enough to compete with Fitbits and Jawbones, and the Pedometer and heart rate monitors are is also comparable to those, all smartwatches are going to be a niche market that probably already hit saturation.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I think the Zen 3 looks good over all, but I am curious if it had gps or heart monitor functions. And I would like to see one in person.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

No clue if the Hwatch 2 is any good or not, but I haven't been impressed by any article from David Ruddock.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

bull3964 posted:

I've had people say to me before, "I like your watch, is it <expensive brand>". I tell them no, it was made by Motorola. You can actually see the interest evaporate in their eyes. Like, you can see the mental calculus of "I like what I'm seeing but I couldn't be caught wearing a device by a phone maker that isn't Apple."

I get the same thing about my zen watch 1. I didn't think it was great looking, kind of understated really. People ask what brand it is, and when I say Asus, they lose interest.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
My Asus Zenwatch 1 got an update this morning. It was not 2.0.

Can't tell if anything user facing changed at all.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
This might be a question for the general wearable thread, but what alternatives are there for a smart watch on Android that doesn't suck now?

What I want:

Battery that can last a full day between charging
Fitness tracking
GPS would be nice for fitness tracking but not a deal breaker
Show notifications and calendar reminders
reply to messages (namely hangouts) using voice
Looks passably like a normal watch, or at least isn't incredibly huge or ugly.
Isn't a pile of lovely UI and UX choices.

Is there such a thing?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Does connected GPS mean it uses the phone's GPS?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
People in this thread probably already know this, but if you have a Android Wear 2.0 watch that is laggy and slow, you can get a lot of performance gains from shutting off the "OK google" detection. It's under settings -> personalization.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Turning it off on my Huawei Watch 2 made a huge difference. With Hey Google turned on, when I get a phone call the watch would vibrate and play a ringtone, but the call would have gone to voicemail before the watch ever displayed who the caller was or the answer/reject controls.

With hey google turned off, it shows everything in about 3 seconds.

I notice a huge difference in loading the app list or starting android pay too. Not like placebo differences, like several measurable seconds difference.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

tino posted:

Here are you actual smart watch options

Casual iPhone user: iWatch (they are the only kind I see in subway)
Casual Android user: Samsung Watch
Hardcore sports freak and/or hikers: Garmin
Military hiker: Rangeman B1000
Casual active people who want a fashion accessories: G-Shock/Protrek
Nerd who wants to run android apps on their twist: China full android watches
Google fans: this is a hard one, maybe Fossil Android watch

Don't worry about android pay solution, it's not worth your trouble. Just carry a spare credit card.

For what it is worth, I have been mostly happy with my Huawei Watch 2 classic. I think is looks reasonable decent. It's doesn't feel too big or bulky. It has on board GPS, NFC, heart-rate monitor, WiFi, android pay, no flat tire. Can get 2+ days pretty easily out of it, but I charge it every night.

The performance has been acceptable since I disabled the always listening and disabled the fitness tracking apps that I didn't use (turned off Huawei Health and Runtastic, but left Google Fit turned on). I do think it's a bad thing that I had to make those changes to make the watch not be sluggish.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
This morning, my Huawei watch 2 is not letting me do anything. I can unlock the watch using my swipe pattern, and if I press and hold one of the buttons I can get the google assistant to load and it works. But I can not get the app menu to come up, or swipe up to show notifications or down to show the system menu.

Have I accidently locked the watch somehow?

edit: nevermind. I was able to reboot it by pressing and holding both buttons for like 15 seconds. Now it works again.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 16, 2018

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Got the update on my Hwatch 2.

The watch feels maybe a little more responsive than before.

I think I like the new notification layout.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Budgie posted:

Does Hwatch2 really get 2 days battery life like it says on amazon uk?

I wear mine about 12 hours a day on average and I am usually above 70% when I put it back on the charger. I don't think it would make a full 48 hours without turning on the battery saver or turning off the always on screen. But it gets good life.

Using it as a bluetooth music player to headphones and a GPS fitness tracker at the same time does have a marked impact on battery life. Probably 15-20% per hour.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

TorakFade posted:

I'm on the lookout for a potential new smartwatch, I currently own a Huawei Watch 2 and I'm pretty happy with it, I just want something that I could wear in more "formal", elegant settings; not necessarily "dress required" settings, but let's say business environments. The Huawei Watch 2 looks like a Casio G-Shock, I love it but it just doesn't go along with even casual-formal wear.

The one thing it has to do is notifications, I need to know who's calling/emailing/texting me at a glance and read the first few words of the message to see if it's important or not. I don't need fitness, GPS, 4G and so on. Many bonus points if the battery lasts more than one full day (which is the minimum requirement, can't be arsed recharging the thing every 4-6 hours).

Also it should not cost a fortune. What's out there that meets these requirements?

It's a 100% sidegrade, but the Huawei Watch 2 Classic looks semi-dressy.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Len posted:

Is a Fossil Gen 5 worth getting? I still have the LG Style and it's fine for what I use it for but the Gen 5 is down to $220 at Best Buy and they've got one left. It's got more bells and whistles and power under the hood than my current watch but is it actually worth it since my Style isn't dead?

Others in this thread have said it's the best Android Wear watch you can get right now because if the extra ram.

I just checked, and Amazon and Fossil.com also have it at that price.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I just got my fossil gen 5. drat does 1GB of ram make a huge difference.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

The Slack Lagoon posted:

My wife was complaining her fossil wear os stopped giving her notifications

She had turned off Bluetooth on her phone :psyduck:

I know there is a bug that prevents vibrations and sound notifications if you have "DnD when off wrists" enabled. Is that maybe causing her issue?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

LastInLine posted:

I think the OP posted the problem which was OP's wife turning off Bluetooth and severing the connection to the phone.

You are correct. I am an idiot.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
So I ordered a Watch 4 and I payed with google pay, but I never got an email confirmation. I don't see the transaction in google pay, but I do see the pending transaction on my credit card.

I don't think it ever asked me to log in, so I guess I check out as a guest? Any ideas on how I can check on my order?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Cao Ni Ma posted:

What accessories can you even get with the $50 samsung bucks?

Almost one earbud.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

bull3964 posted:

Current leaks have the Pixel watch having ECG and exynos chipset.

I think it's pretty much going to be a galaxy watch 4 mainboard with more storage grafted with Fitbit Charge 5 sensors.

This sounds pretty good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

bull3964 posted:

I don't think a wearable NEEDS to have wireless charging, but I do think there should be some small device charging standard so we can minimize the chargers involved. I have 80 billion GW chargers now though since they don't want the chargers back on trade in.

I have had enough problems with smart watches with contact based charging having issues due to skin oil or what ever building up or the contact pads de-laminating on the watch that I would prefer wireless charging on them.