Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

Apparently they all have wifi chips, but neither of the earlier LG watches have antennas.

I got good chuckle out of that.

I mean, I can see them just using something that already has wifi built in even though they didn't have any intention to use the wifi...but its still kinda humorous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I impulse bought a Moto 360 from the display they had set up at Costco. For anyone wondering, I double checked the return policy and they told me it was "basically jewelery" and you can return it whenever unlike a lot of other electronics.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ja_raul posted:

So thermopyle: are you actually planning on exchanging the 360 in the future when another watch looks more appealing just assuming that what they told you is accurate, or does your receipt actually state a "return whenever" line?

I'm not planning on returning it for the next better smart watch, but I am planning on returning it if it turns out I think Android Wear is poo poo.

A manager-type person told me I can return it whenever I want for any reason, which confirmed what I had previously read on their website as quoted below.

Len posted:

I dunno seems like selling one watch to a customer and then never selling that customer another full price watch again seems like it should lose money in the long run.

You'll find lots of policies in all areas of life that don't make a lot of sense on the individual level but do in the aggregate.

For example, having a liberal return policy store-wide could make people more willing to buy things they may not be willing to try otherwise, and if Costco does a good job selling good things, then profits from people trying new things outweighs losses from people returning things.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vibration for notifications on Moto 360 is hilariously weak. So weak that I might return it just because of that.

If I'm sitting still, its OK, but if I'm walking around, driving, doing things with my hands, there's a 50/50 chance I won't notice the vibration.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Really? It feels like it's going to rattle my wrist off for me.

You're lucky. There's threads all over with people complaining about the same thing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Logikv9 posted:

Using LightFlow allows you to increase the duration/change the pattern of vibrations depending on the notification.

I cannot get this to work at all, though that may be because I've never used Light Flow before.

For example, I have a notification set up for PushBullet. "Enable light" is disabled, "Enable sound" is disabled, "Enable repeating sound" is disabled, "Enable vibrate" is disabled, "Enable repeating vibrate is enabled. I have repeat vibration "Location" set to Wearable and I have a 1 short, 1 medium vibration pattern.

I still get just the regular super short vibration that I normally get.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've worn both my Flex and Moto 360 the past couple of days. My Flex has proven to be accurate within about 7 percent compared to a hip mounted pedometer I have.

The Moto 360 was about ten percent below my Flex yesterday and today is 40 percent below.

God dammit, I'm not going to continue wearing both of these...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Every picture I've seen of people wearing a 360 and going "look it's not huge at all" has made me go "lol, yes it is".

I bought one anyway, and to be honest it doesn't look comically huge and I just have average wrists I think.

I'm not sure why it always seems so huge to me in photos.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

I guess I'm still not sold on smartwatches being anything more than another techno toy.

Isn't that what wearing just regular watches is?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I wasn't sure if I'd like having a smartwatch...and I'm still not sure if it's worth the $170 I spent on it...but like 90% of the value I get out of it is that it's like way quicker to glance at my wrist to see if I want to address the notification I just got right now or later.

The majority of notifications I get, I just don't have any need to take care of right now. I can take care of them in 15 minutes or a half hour when I'm not talking to someone or driving or walking or whatever.

Something much cheaper than my Moto 360 that looked just as nice but only showed notifications rather than having a touch screen and the ability to interact with notifications would be a pretty good value proposition.

On the other hand, while I did say 90% of the value I get out of it is the passive ability to see what that notification was easily, the other 10% is pretty nice...controlling music/podcast playback, starting a run, a few other things are pretty nice to have when I occasionally use them.

I'm mostly not buying the obsolesence argument. Why do I care if the Moto 360 version 2 comes out next month? It doesn't reduce the capabilities of my current 360.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 12, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Dr Cheeto posted:

Your watch is going to become obsolete. In a year you're going to be looking at the 360v2 and seeing leaps in terms of battery life and probably several additional features. Between two and three years I'd be shocked if the manufacturer continued pushing Wear updates. God knows when the battery will cease holding a charge for a full day. Maybe you'll wear that watch three, four years, but it's not going to last half as long as a traditional watch would, which is the context of that comment.

The only thing that matters in this paragraph is the battery beginning to stop holding charge and is the reason I used the word "mostly". The 360v2 won't make my 360 work worse.

Three Olives posted:

You just described a Pebble.

No, I said something as good looking as the 360.

Desk Lamp posted:

True, but there's probably about 10 times the R&D going into this segment than there was a year or two ago. I would hope to see some unexpected pleasant surprises somewhere along the line, a game changer like the iPhone and iPad did for smartphones and tablets.

Probably not going to happen. It will be just gradual evolutionary changes for the next half a decade and if there are any big breakthroughs it likely won't be anything to do with wearables pushing technology forward, it will be something like a new battery tech that would happen even if wearables didn't exist.

Anyway, none of that matters to the utility of the smartwatch you buy today. The main thing that will cause you to need to buy a new watch is the battery dying as it reaches the end of it charging life.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 12, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Frankly right now all the Android Wear devices have glaring compromises

Three Olives is always wrong.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

butt dickus posted:

He's right in that case though? The 360 is regarded as the best and it has the performance and battery problems caused by the old SoC, plus the flat tire that bothers a lot of people.

I wouldn't call any of those "glaring" issues.

It lasts all day with always on screen, and the flat tire thing is just a subjective issue.

Sure, they all have issues, none of them are really objective glaring issues.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

butt dickus posted:

He said compromises, which is correct. The flat tire is a compromise to allow for the light sensor and thin bezel. The bad battery life is a compromise to keep it cheap. Those are the two biggest complaints with it.

Still wouldn't call any of that "glaring".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

For me personally, I don't make the required 45 degree wrist tilt naturally, so I need true always-on. The 360 gyroscope was very frustrating since I'd always be staring at a dark screen. I have to check my watch dozens of times at work too.
But that doesn't require full brightness,or am I just not understanding you?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

Don't you think it would be kind of a dick move to return/exchange your girlfriend's present to you?

My family and friends expect gift recipients to feel free to do this, so possibly no.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

As long as you're ok with something that looks like it was built by someone in their basement.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

That bezel

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Three Olives posted:

It's OLED so the bezel shouldn't be a problem with a well designed watch face.

Except for the huge blank area all around the edges.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

AlexF posted:

Oh man, that's pretty much the end for the 360 already. This thing's on the market for less than a year and they can't even make updates work smoothly anymore. Not that it ever did. I like mine and still wouldn't wear any other Wear piece right now, but all in all it's a lovely situation.

Dude, they didn't say it wasn't getting the update.

I mean it might not, but it's a little premature to declare the "end of the 360" because of this yet.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

AlexF posted:

You are aware that I love this thing, right? Also owning a Nexus 6 and a Moto X before that, so I'm actually a Motorola supporter for this generation.

Fact is, that every other Wear watch has received the update, because those OEMs don't have to dance around ancient hardware. Yes, Motorola will eventually get around, but how many other updates will follow, if they wanna keep up their 'quality standards' (ie have to find yet another way to squeeze out the necessary performance)?

Stop dancing around the fact that you said something stupid.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

AlexF posted:

How can you not admit that the 360 is the worst of the bunch when it comes to internal hardware...it'll be the first to get left behind.

No one disagrees with this.

You said this:

AlexF posted:

Oh man, that's pretty much the end for the 360 already. This thing's on the market for less than a year and they can't even make updates work smoothly anymore. Not that it ever did. I like mine and still wouldn't wear any other Wear piece right now, but all in all it's a lovely situation.

They said they're working on it, and you said it's the end of the 360 and they can't make updates work smoothly. That's a stupid thing to say. And then you stupidly didn't disavow that statement.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

Got a steel band for my Urbane after a month of customs hell, pretty happy with it. It hides the worst part of the Urbane, ie the giant lugs

I thought I scuffed it on the bottom after seeing that shot but it was just goon grime :)

Pretty decent.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Three Olives posted:

I was barely, barely considering picking up a 360 now that they are being cleared out so I tried one on today:

Nope, I'm sorry, it does not pass for a normal watch, even if it round. Maybe techno jewelry but the thing looks way bigger and less watch like on my wrist than my G Watch with a leather band.

You're a skeleton.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Three Olives posted:

But G Watch:

Wait, you're saying that looks better and more watch-like than the 360?

Because if you're saying that...you are always wrong!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Three Olives posted:

No, I'm saying that the 360 looks comically large on my wrists and could never pass as a traditional watch. Might as well pocket the money and have something that costs much less, runs the latest software, is faster and has better battery life.

The 360 looks way better. It doesn't look like a watch on you...it just looks like 10x better. I mean they both look stupid and you shouldn't wear either.

You really shouldn't be wearing anything on your arms though. Unless you're wearing some of those weighted things to bulk up.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

https://twitter.com/rosterloh/status/612006062237978624

Motorola president says they held off on shipping the 360 update until the apparent battery issues in the 5.1 update had been dealt with.

I'm only half way through my second day with my 360 update and the battery life seems way better. Like...I've been off the charger for 8 hours now and I've got 69% battery left.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

8am to 2am with 39 percent battery left on my 360.

Would have easily been dead before 5.1.1.

Or maybe just having a particularly good day and it doesn't have anything to do with the OS update...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I know it's ridiculous to ask in here but where is the next Moto 360?

Motorola has it. Duh.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Kakairo posted:

Are you running with ambient mode on? I found that I was getting an estimated 25+ hours of battery life before the update, so I switched on ambient and lost a few hours from that total. Now, with 5.1.1 and ambient mode, I'm getting closer to 18 hours.

No. I don't really see the point of ambient mode.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

You don't ever look at your watch without moving your wrist much? It's funny how different everyone's experiences are.

I guess it makes more sense if you never wore a watch before smartwatches, but I've been wearing one every day since I was about 10 years old.

Maybe once a day I find the watch isn't lit up when I want to look at it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'm not sure if time-spent-wearing-regular-watches is a useful metric in this discussion, but I wore a regular watch all day long for at least 15 years. Then I stopped for 10 years. Then I got a 360 a couple months ago.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Yeah, I get why it might be useful, I'm just not sure it is.

I don't feel like I would have been bothered by non-ambient mode even if I had never stopped wearing watches, but I can't be sure about that either.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Been messing around with watchfaces this afternoon and I'm really liking this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=wmwatch.badappsquartz_fr&hl=en

It looks particularly authentic on my black 360. The black surround and text looks just like you'd expect them to on a non-smartwatch. The surrounding text is touchable to open a stopwatch, calendar, health, etc.

It's not your typical classy looking thing, but its neat.

Has anyone come across a watchface that pulls data from forecast.io?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

minusX posted:

Tried this out, but my battery died a lot earlier. Have you noticed this yourself? Still new to the device so maybe it's just busier today. Also not use to having weather info on the watchface so it might be that as well!

I've been off the charger for 11 hours now and I've got 46 percent battery left. I don't use ambient mode.

Not any different from the stock Moto one I was using whose name I can't recall.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Do you plan on swapping the band in and out for just when you exercise?

I've watched the videos about how to swap the band yourself...and I still haven't bought any bands besides the one my 360 came with because I have the feeling that swapping the band is just fiddly enough that I'll swap bands for a week and then just stop doing it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

uPen posted:

This is really neat but how do you switch the temp to F.

Settings in the Watchmaker app on your phone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Placid Marmot posted:

Calories burnt through walking is always going to be approximately zero, so you can broaden your search by eliminating that parameter.

what

Anyway, a Wear device isn't very accurate as a pedometer.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I wear my Flex on the opposite arm from my 360 because it's just a far better fitness tracker.

Laat week my two year old Flex stopped working and customer support just sent me a new one without requiring a receipt or for me to send the broken one back. Good support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Placid Marmot posted:

If you're going to record calories from walking you may as well record calories from chewing food or taking a shower, as the numbers aren't much different.

wrong.

Mayo just did yet another (out of like a billion studies) that puts the average calories burned for 46 minutes of walking at 314. That's 314 extra calories.