Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Placid Marmot posted:

Ah, yes, because chewing food and taking a shower take zero calories to do.
The difference between walking at a moderate pace for an hour and staring at a wall for an hour is similar to the difference between cycling at 13mph for an hour and cycling at 15mph for an hour - it's close to noise. If you're walking for exercise for long enough to burn a worthwhile number of calories, you're better off doing some actually-worthwhile exercise for a fraction of the time. For reference, 314 calories (minus BRM calories of course) is not a worthwhile number of calories to burn.
Indeed, as you highlight, the difference between true calories burned/pulse/paces and the calories/pulse/paces that your watch displays is picked at random depending which watch you get, how it fits on you, your style of walking, whether you walk on concrete or uneven ground, and any number of other factors, and may be greater than the difference between wall-staring and walking.

Just stop being wrong please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tunga posted:

No idea if it's legit but these Moto 360 v2 casing photos match the design from the video that Motorola recently posted on Twitter and then pulled:

https://www.reddit.com/r/moto360/comments/3htu3z/so_i_got_my_hands_on_the_moto_360_v2_watch/

I quite like it.

I like it alright, but one of the things I liked about the 360 v1 was the lugless design. It's unique.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I'm torn on whether or not I want to upgrade. One one hand, new hotness, on the other hand, my 360 does everything I want it to do so why not just skip a gen and go with a 3rd gen device that will be even better.

Same.

What will push me over the edge is whether they made the HRM and step counter not-poo poo.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

For those with a Moto 360, are performance and battery life still an issue after a year of software updates? And is the metal wristband the way to go? I'm thinking about picking one up today for $149.

Depends on who you ask. I've had mine for several months and I don't have an issue with battery life...easily lasts me a whole day. Occasionally, you'll see some stuttering in the UI, but not enough to be a deal-breaker for me. How much that bothers you is likely largely dependent upon how you use the watch. My watch is 90% for reading notifications, and for that use case the UI performance is better than fine.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ixian posted:

I'd use mine mostly for fitness tracking, so I'd get a nylon band too probably. Google Fit has come a long way recently while Fitbit seems stuck - not a huge fan of their closed ecosystem so I will probably switch (to Googles' bigger closed ecosystem, I know). Plus I already have my chest strap heartbeat sensor and speed/cadence sensors for my bike hooked up through my phone (neither works with Fitbit) so...It also looks a lot more readable in general, a big drawback of the Surge.

How is it in bright sunlight/outdoors? I read it doesn't have an ambient light sensor?

I'm not sure exactly what you're expecting, but if you're expecting the heart rate or pedometer/activity tracking to be good, you're going to be disappointed.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

bull3964 posted:

my Qi enabled battery pack

You've posted it before, but would you mind posting again which one you have?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

Qi charging on watches is overrated. It provides the same experience as plunking the watch down on a magnetic pad.

Glad they're not pre-ordering in Canada yet so I'm not tempted to grab one before the others debut at IFA this weekend.

The benefit of Qi charging on watches is ubiquity of chargers.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The only thing that would get me to upgrade to the 3602 is better fitness stuff (or a moment of weakness for new gadgetry). I'm not sure if this is a Wear issue or a hardware issue.

I also doubt any reviews will go into enough detail to actually track step counts or heart rate for long enough to actually get a good idea of accuracy...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

My favorite watch face you can't even see the flat tire. (not that I care the slightest bit about the flat tire)

BadApps Quartz

I like its retro feel.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I was totally leaning towards the 360-2, but if that speaker thing is true that flips my world upside down.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'm always smug, thus constantly triggering watch face changer.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

That photo is a joke. He's not resting it flat on his wrist like the 360 and the band is not fitted so of course it looks worse. Why do people feel the need to do this?

The lugs on the Huawei quite obviously sit up higher. How the photo is staged doesn't change that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

In pictures the 360 just looks better to me. I don't like the way the lugs look on the Huawei.

On the other hand, I'm intrigued by the rumor about the speaker in the Huawei.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The only third-party app I use on my Wear watch is occasionally Authenticator+. My watch is a notification device.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I'll have to admit that I love my 360 so much more than I thought I would. I think the raised glass looks much better than the dished bezel on every other round watch and it doesn't feel oversized or out of place at all on my normal (not fat, not muscular) wrists (this is the 46mm version).

This is exactly my feelings about the 360 1 and 2. I like that its different looking from most watches while still looking good.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tunga posted:

There are new gestures for "select" and "back" so you can look even more ridiculous in public.

Still waiting for it to show up on my OG 360 though the battery life is really bad on it now, I can't use ambient at all and today it died after six hours for some reason. Can't wait for the 360 v3 or whatever else shows up this year.

Funnily enough I was just thinking about how my OG 360 battery is way better nowadays compared to what I used to get.

I go from 8AM to 10PM and have 35%-45% battery with ambient on.

However, this might be due to the fact that it was acting funny a week ago and I factory reset it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hey, do you live in a condo?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

foutre posted:

I'd like to get a smartwatch primarily to use as a fitness tracker/keep track of my calendar as well as keeping track of emails/SMS. The OP seemed a bit out of date, but from looking around it seems like the Samsung Gear S2 and Pebble Time seem to be well reviewed/meet those requirements. Does anyone have experience with these, or other recommendations? I do have a Samsung phone that I guess might be more compatible with a Samsung watch, but it's really not clear to me if that + the brighter screen is worth the extra cost, or if these are even the best watches to be looking at! Would love any advice.

As far as I can tell, no smartwatch is good at keeping accurate data as a fitness tracker.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

foutre posted:

Alright, leaning towards the cheapest Pebble Time I can find a real fitness tracker then, thanks for the advice.

This is basically what I do. I wear a Moto360 smartwatch and a fitbit flex.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

surc posted:

As somebody who may someday buy an android watch, but will not buy an android watch and a fitbit because I'm not going to switch watches for exercise, this seems like an idea that would allow them to continue selling their own hardware at their own prices, while also meaning I might purchase their hardware in the future, instead of just not. Why is it moronic?

Don't switch. Wear the watch on your left arm and a fitbit flex on the right.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

"just make something that looks like a Fitbit Flex but rotate the device storage thing to the side a bit"

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

One for your wrist, one for your ankle.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Desk Lamp posted:

I really like the look of the steel 360/2 but $400 is squarely in the realm where I might feel buyer's remorse if this year's offerings render existing watches obsolete. $200 for the Urbane though, seems too good to pass up.

If it helps any I don't feel any sort of upgrade envy when looking at current gen wear devices even though I'm using a 360/1.

I mean, yeah they're smoother and have better screens but it's not like I spend more than a few minutes a day actually interacting with the thing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Why would I want to look like a douchebag.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Whizbang posted:

You bought a smartwatch.

This... is a good point.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Well he wants an ambient light sensor and the Huawei doesn't have that.

I'd say the 360/2 is the best option.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'm not upgrading again until the tech is available for continuous HR monitoring that doesn't suck.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Gonna need NFC (for making purchases), OLED screen, cell radio, and GPS in a watch to get me to upgrade from my Huawei watch.

That or an actual 2-3 day battery life.

The S3 has that, but runs Tizen. The OS looks good actually, but I don't expect it to have the apps or the future Wear does.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Number one rule of consumer electronics is buy it for what it does now, not future promises. Tizen on the watch has gained basically zero notable app support since it launched and they presumably paid off launch partners like Uber.

If the S3 does everything you want it to absolutely buy it, just don't buy it because you think that any other app developers besides who it has now is going to develop like they are for Wear.

Yes, that's what I said.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've never actually used Fit on my OG 360 to track an activity other than the passive step tracking it always does.

Yesterday I went on a 4 mile moderate difficulty hike and tried tracking it via manually initiating a Fit walking activity. Started at around 80% battery life. Watch was dead after about 1.5 miles.

Obviously the battery is getting old (big downside of smartwatches, IMO), but I feel like that might be particularly bad even accounting for the age of the watch.

Which watches do better at this?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Yeah, just use the disconnect option in the top right menu in the Android Wear app.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

logikv9 posted:

I still can't see the need for a LTE smartwatch. Independence from the phone, sure but the capability is so limited for the price and carrying a phone with you isn't that difficult is it? Even when jogging.

This is a person who thinks like me.

I'm a runner and it is nearly zero effort to keep a phone with me.

It feels like something manufacturers are doing just because they can.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I just bought a refurbished ZenWatch 2 off of ebay for $79. My OG Moto 360 battery only lasts for like 5 hours anymore, so I figure this will hold me over for cheap until the next wave of Wear watches come out.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Got my refurbed ZenWatch 2 that is supposed to hold me over until Google's own smartwatches come out.

It's an OK device. Nothing amazing, but it functions fine, doesn't look like poo poo, quicker than the OG Moto 360 I'm replacing.

(except the fuckers sent me the wrong band. I'm going back and forth on doing the return or just buying a new band myself. There's a small but not insignificant chance I'd replace the band even if they sent me the correct one.)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Or you can buy a refurbished whatever looks nice to you to hold you over to see what the Google watches look like. I did this with a Zenwatch 2 for $79 and it's OK.

(Just kidding, it's not OK. The ebay seller sent me one with wrong band. They raised price of the item on ebay, and I contacted them to make sure they would send me the correct item at the price I already paid. They said they would, so I sent the watch back. They just refunded my money and told me to rebuy it at the higher price...fuckers. I would've just kept it and bought a different band.)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Huh, the Zenwatch 3 has an ambient light sensor and no flat tire. That's pretty tempting.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

hotsauce posted:

Oh hey, picked up an S3 Frontier LTE from T-Mo today. It's really nice. It's pretty big (think Mission big).

Sarnsun'g I guess, but I like it. Everything works great with the Pixel, but Samsung Pay is MIA. Funny since it's advertised as functional when paired with a non-Samsung phone. Oops, Sarnsun'g I suppose.

Maybe an update will enable it, maybe I was lied to. Either way, the hardware is nice enough for me to not get bitchy about it being missing.

Sure, I'd love to have googly everything, but it's pretty nice as-is. Having a full cellular connection for runs (sans phone) that can stream audio via BT headphones and make/receive calls and texts is pretty nifty.

Wrong thread.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

hotsauce posted:

I'm aware TYYZENN isn't welcome here. Just thought, since it's kinda a competitor to AW, some would find it interesting.

I'll bring my poo poo-slop posting to the generic wearables thread from now on, thanks.

Tizen is welcome here in the sense that it's good to know how it compares to AW.

I'm not saying you can't post about it in here, I'm telling you this is the Android thread in case you made a mistake.

We occasionally get people posting stuff in here without realizing there's another thread.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

With Wear 2.0 putting focus on fitness, I'm hoping Google's watches have new tech for heart rate and pedometer-ing.

Though, increasing the pedometer accuracy of AW may just be down to the algorithm and not the accelerometer or whatever other hardware they use for measuring steps...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ashex posted:

I haven't really found a critical use for a smartwatch.

IMO, you're probably not going to find one. I mean, I use my smartwatch every day, but it's certainly just a luxury and a cool toy and doesn't even come close to approaching the necessary-ness that my smartphone does.